MFP Cycling Club

Options

Replies

• StuAblett
    StuAblett Posts: 1,141 Member
    Options
    I can't believe I missed this thread before! Count me in! We like to try and get on our road bikes at least 2x's a week, but lately it's just been once. Too freakin' hot!! My goal was to do a 50 in September but am not going to make that...so maybe by the end of October!

Welcome! :drinker:
  • megamom
    megamom Posts: 920 Member
    Options
    I just got my release from my Doc and will hitting the trails in the early morning before the heat. If the water has receded and the trails aren't under water, lots of flooding in Iowa. I am so excited to get back on the bike, it has been a long 6 weeks.
  • tipusnr
    tipusnr Posts: 572
    Options
    Caution Rant To Follow!

I just found out that the bicycle I had my wife bring in Wednesday afternoon hasn't even been looked at yet and is still ten back. Not only did I miss the wednesday night ride but now I won't be riding this weekend either! Andrea has rehearsals and a wedding to play tomorrow and this would have been an excellent chance to get a hard core ride in. (I'll probably end up at the gym if my mood improves so I don't hurt myself!)

The thing that angers me is that I specifically mentioned my intention to ride this weekend and no one said anything about the backlog (apparantly caused by people getting ready to ride the Pelatonia). I really dislike being misled!! It won't take many more instances like this and I'll be finding another bike shop! :mad: :angry:
  • LisaKC
    LisaKC Posts: 328 Member
    Options
    @tipusnr - I can't blame you a bit. That's just poor service all around. Today I tried a new bike shop in my search for a bike seat (still ongoing), and was pleasantly surprised by the service I received. Lots of questions about my riding habits, an attempt at measuring my sit bones, lots of discussion about various saddles, and they sent me home with two demo saddles at no charge. Based on how I do with these, we'll either try some others, or at least have more info to go on. It was a big change from the frustrating experience I had a few weeks ago with my regular bike shop. Hope you can get your bike fixed ASAP and get in some riding.
  • skywalker
    skywalker Posts: 1,533
    Options
    I can't believe I missed this thread before! Count me in! We like to try and get on our road bikes at least 2x's a week, but lately it's just been once. Too freakin' hot!! My goal was to do a 50 in September but am not going to make that...so maybe by the end of October!
    Welcome!!! You'll hit that goal in no time!!! :drinker:
  • skywalker
    Options
    I just got my release from my Doc and will hitting the trails in the early morning before the heat. If the water has receded and the trails aren't under water, lots of flooding in Iowa. I am so excited to get back on the bike, it has been a long 6 weeks.
    YAY!!!! :bigsmile:
  • skywalker
    Options
    @tip
    I feel your pain. There used to be a shop like that around here. The guy who ran it couldn't be nicer, but he was always so backed up, I just stopped going. I'd say call other shops to see if they can get you in and pull your bike out of that other shop.
  • skywalker
    Options
    We are all at different places in our journey to fitness, look at Skywalker she is racing towards her goal, and she is bringing us all along for the ride, with her enthusiasm and good humor!:flowerforyou:
    Aww... Thanks, Stu. :blushing:
  • StuAblett
    Options
    You are welcome Sky, I mean it too!

Tip, that really sucks, and I agree with Sky, I'd go and politely pull your bike, and find another shop.

You said it was the Bottom Bracket?

You know they are not that hard to do, if I was nearby, I'd do it for you, a 30 minute job, you might have to buy one $15 dollar spline tool, but you can use that again and again.

Here you go, easy....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0BBMjU0rDJ0

So you need a spline tool to remove the BB and a torque wrench.

The beam style torque wrench that Sears sell for $30 is just fine, some waterproof grease and you are on you way!

What bike do yo have?

:bigsmile:
  • tipusnr
    Options
    I have a Giant Defy 3.
  • RMX82
    RMX82 Posts: 172
    Options
    Cycling is literally a pain in the butt, haha. Had my first two rides with my Trek and now my butt doesn't feel like sitting on the seat anymore, haha. I'm hoping it starts to get used to it. Or I will have to buy one of those granny comfy bike seats. 255 lbs on a small seat isn't exactly a good time.
  • skywalker
    Options
    Cycling is literally a pain in the butt, haha. Had my first two rides with my Trek and now my butt doesn't feel like sitting on the seat anymore, haha. I'm hoping it starts to get used to it. Or I will have to buy one of those granny comfy bike seats. 255 lbs on a small seat isn't exactly a good time.
    I used to put my 215 lbs on my seat and it does get easier and less painful. :laugh: You just have to get through those initial rides and it WILL get better. Keep on pedaling. :happy:
  • StuAblett
    Options

I hear you, I'm still at 270 pounds but I've gotten used to it and I got a new seat, which is much more comfortable, look earlier in the thread and you will see a pic of it. It is worth noting that your seat position and height will make a big difference too, if it is too high you hurt your knees, too low and you are not getting the full power from your legs, you will find you are moving around a lot in the saddle. Back to front is an issue as well, if the seat is set up right, you don't move around a lot in it, and this will make it more comfortable as well.
  • StuAblett
    Options
    I have a Giant Defy 3.

Nice bike!

Drool Drool :bigsmile:

OK your set up looks a fair bit more complex, I guess all the advances in technology to try to make things lighter and such lead to this kind of thing.

I do have all the tools to do it, and I know I could do it, but for someone who does not regularly work on bicycles, yeah, a big of a steep learning curve.

I did find this video..........

http://www.5min.com/Video/How-to-remove-or-install-a-FSA-Mega-Exo-system-66770204

............I think you have a FSA Mega Exo, from searching on the web, that is what I see the Defy 3 has for a Bottom Bracket, what year?

Cheers!
  • tipusnr
    Options
    [

............I think you have a FSA Mega Exo, from searching on the web, that is what I see the Defy 3 has for a Bottom Bracket, what year?

Cheers!

2008 - I think? Decided to do yard work today instead and, maybe, run the multi-use path at the local MetroPark if I stay motivated.
  • lauz45
    lauz45 Posts: 243
    Options
    Hello everyone, i'd like to join in, only thing i'm missing at the moment is a bike! I'm saving up for a bike from today, I did my first ever sponsored bike ride this morning, I hired this bike for it: http://www.evanscycles.com/products/pinnacle/stratus-20-2010-womens-hybrid-bike-ec021930 so i'm planning on buying a hybrid bike so I can hit the roads or woods.

I did 12 miles in about 1hr 20mins (will find out the race chip time in a couple of days I think), I struggled getting up the hills but really pushed myself, it was tough but brilliant :) and for a good cause, it was for the Make a Wish Foundation, a UK charity that grants wishes for children with terminal illnesses. Now i'm determined to get myself a bike and make it a much more regular thing, i'm surprised at what I accomplished considering I am pretty much inactive usually. And by how much I enjoyed it, plus the cameraderie was great :)

Hope to join in soon!
  • LisaKC
    LisaKC Posts: 328 Member
    Options
    I got in my C25K workout this morning, and then planned to demo two new saddles. The first one I tried was a really nice Specialized (@Skywalker, not the Lithia, but tried this one for size bc they don't have a Lithia demo), and about the time I got the second seat on, a torrential rainstorm came out of nowhere.:cry: Hmmm. Maybe if it clears off, I'll try the Selle Italia seat later on.

Hope this rain isn't a preview of tomorrow morning. We were planning a 30+ mile ride in the morning. :grumble:
  • StuAblett
    Options
    Lisa, just take some rain gear :bigsmile:

Lauz45, welcome :drinker:

That bike looks good!
  • skywalker
    Options
    @LisaKC, hope the rain lets up and good luck saddle shopping. :happy:

@lauz45, Welcome! We have the Make a Wish Foundation here in the USA too. It is a great organization. I did an event las weekend to raise money for cancer research. It's always nice to help out a good cause while getting fit at the same time. :smile:
  • gwynh
    gwynh Posts: 160
    Options
    I got in a nice ride today. 21 miles before it got hot. Funny thing, but not for the driver, a cement truck ran off the road on a corner, flipped onto it side. The truck was gone, but the mixer part full of cement was cut from the truck and laying in the ditch still.

Does it startle other when idiot drivers drive past them and honk at you? :explode: I know they are there, but why do they have to honk at me. Guess I am just a jumpy person.

I only have one bike shop near. Have not had to use any repairs yet. Some day I would like a nicer bike, but for now, the one I have suits my needs.

Welcome all the new people!! It has been tough working out a time to ride this week, so I was only able to get in 40 miles. still trying to work out my riding schedule around work since school has started again.

Geeee, Stu 30 pounds in 8 weeks is great. I think I am at 8 weeks and only about 10 pounds. But I have been active in Taekwondo for 3 years and my body has been stuck at this weight for a while.