Recomposition: Maintaining weight while losing fat

Options

Replies

• heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    edited June 2015
    Options
    Probably, a reasonable deficit, with at least that kind of workout, and protein levels that several have mentioned, should easily retain any muscle mass the workout is enough stimuli for.

Obviously if you used to squat 200 lbs more and now can't do "squat" weight, even existing muscle won't be needed and body would likely be willing to not rebuild some of it. But that workout could stretch the time it matters, and obviously the bigger the difference between before and now matters.

But sometimes in life, you gotta make do with doing all you can in your realm of control, and if different results than prior circumstances allowed, so be it.
    Still doing all you can.
    And that's what matters to realistic goals.
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    ILiftHeavyAcrylics Posts: 27,732 Member
    Options
    heybales wrote: »
    But sometimes in life, you gotta make do with doing all you can in your realm of control, and if different results than prior circumstances allowed, so be it.
    Still doing all you can.

So much yes to all of this.
  • 1mumrevolution
    1mumrevolution Posts: 269 Member
    edited June 2015
    Options
    Great thread
  • tomatoey
    tomatoey Posts: 5,459 Member
    Options
    heybales wrote: »
    Probably, a reasonable deficit, with at least that kind of workout, and protein levels that several have mentioned, should easily retain any muscle mass the workout is enough stimuli for.

Obviously if you used to squat 200 lbs more and now can't do "squat" weight, even existing muscle won't be needed and body would likely be willing to not rebuild some of it. But that workout could stretch the time it matters, and obviously the bigger the difference between before and now matters.

Still doing all you can.

Once again, thank you for the invaluable input, and for the support. It's hugely appreciated.
  • marciaholland77
    marciaholland77 Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    Approximately 5 lbs from maintenance, following.
  • wishiwasarunner
    wishiwasarunner Posts: 202 Member
    Options
    tagging to finish reading later as there are now 11 pages. Thank you so much for this. I am a few pounds under my goal (but I did not have an ambitious goal - I did go from a size 12/14 to a size 6/8 though), but I am still rather flabby around the middle. I work out with a trainer once a week and run 3 times a week. I seem to have a very hard time making myself lift when there is not someone there telling me to do it. Just not my thing - but it is my goal to improve on that this summer - when perhaps the airconditioned gym may have some advantages over the sweltering heat outside running.
  • wishiwasarunner
    Options
    Well, I got so absorbed that I finished it all. I noted that someone said Smith machines were bad for squats. I will do some squats with weights in front of me - but if I want the weight on my shoulders, I almost have to use the Smith machine because my right hand goes numb pretty quickly with the elbow bent that far. If I am using the Smith machine, I can drop that hand and feel fairly confident that I will not drop the weight. Does anyone have another suggestion for how I could use free weights without the numbness?
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,575 Member
    Options
    Well, I got so absorbed that I finished it all. I noted that someone said Smith machines were bad for squats. I will do some squats with weights in front of me - but if I want the weight on my shoulders, I almost have to use the Smith machine because my right hand goes numb pretty quickly with the elbow bent that far. If I am using the Smith machine, I can drop that hand and feel fairly confident that I will not drop the weight. Does anyone have another suggestion for how I could use free weights without the numbness?

Wait...what do you mean drop that hand?
  • wishiwasarunner
    Options
    I can keep my left hand on the weight and let my right hand straighten and since the weight is on a track, it will not fall.
  • FitForL1fe
    FitForL1fe Posts: 1,872 Member
    Options
    arditarose wrote: »

Wait...what do you mean drop that hand?

giphy.gif
  • arditarose
    Options
    I can keep my left hand on the weight and let my right hand straighten and since the weight is on a track, it will not fall.

No no. Don't do that. Have you watched a video on proper squat form yet?
  • wishiwasarunner
    edited June 2015
    Options
    yes and I work out with a trainer as well. Not trying to derail the topic though - so we can move on. Just was hoping for some help with a nerve compression issue that prevents me from bending my right elbow that much
  • arditarose
    Options
    @wishiwasarunner sorry I didn't see you were talking about front squats. Those are all great alternatives. I do california/cross armed style myself.
  • LiveLoveSwimming
    LiveLoveSwimming Posts: 129 Member
    Options
    usmcmp wrote: »
    There's a lot of talk about recomposition through the boards, so I wanted to have a place where we can compile research on it and experiences with it.

When is recomp appropriate? When you are at a decent weight for your height, but your body fat is still at a level that is undesirable to you recomposition is probably a good option. It's a way to maintain your weight, eat well and still lose fat. This is a slow process and can feel like spinning your wheels, but it can be less mentally stressful than bulk and cut cycles.

The keys to recomposition are:

1. At the end of the week you have eaten at about your TDEE. You may choose to cycle calories or eat at a flat rate every day, there are studies that support both, but start with personal preference. If you have a consistent workout schedule using a TDEE calculator should place your goal fairly close to your actual maintenance. The only way to know for sure is to monitor your weight and calories over time while adjusting calories when you have an up or down trend.

2. Getting adequate protein. Protein is a building block of muscle. The goal of recomposition is to build muscle and lose fat at the same time. Protein, carbohydrates and fats play different roles in the muscle building process, so make sure that you keep to a macronutrient set up that works for you. This may need to be adjusted over time.

3. Lift! Following a good lifting program is the key to the entire process. It's where the magic happens. Pick a program that you will enjoy and that is going to challenge you. Continue to focus on improving.

4. Take pictures and measure. It's a slow process and you may feel you are making no progress. Your measurements will help you see that you are making progress.

Feel free to share stories of recomposition and any research you have seen on it. Ask questions if you have any.
    Is a recomp. diet similar to carb cycling?
  • 3AAnn3
    3AAnn3 Posts: 3,055 Member
    Options
    Sarauk2sf wrote: »
    SideSteel wrote: »
    There's a lot of talk about recomposition through the boards, so I wanted to have a place where we can compile research on it and experiences with it.

When is recomp appropriate? When you are at a decent weight for your height, but your body fat is still at a level that is undesirable to you recomposition is probably a good option. It's a way to maintain your weight, eat well and still lose fat. This is a slow process and can feel like spinning your wheels, but it can be less mentally stressful than bulk and cut cycles.

1. At the end of the week you have eaten at about your TDEE. You may choose to cycle calories or eat at a flat rate every day, there are studies that support both, but start with personal preference. If you have a consistent workout schedule using a TDEE calculator should place your goal fairly close to your actual maintenance. The only way to know for sure is to monitor your weight and calories over time while adjusting calories when you have an up or down trend.

2. Getting adequate protein. Protein is a building block of muscle. The goal of recomposition is to build muscle and lose fat at the same time. Protein, carbohydrates and fats play different roles in the muscle building process, so make sure that you keep to a macronutrient set up that works for you. This may need to be adjusted over time.

3. Lift! Following a good lifting program is the key to the entire process. It's where the magic happens. Pick a program that you will enjoy and that is going to challenge you. Continue to focus on improving.

4. Take pictures and measure. It's a slow process and you may feel you are making no progress. Your measurements will help you see that you are making progress.

Feel free to share stories of recomposition and any research you have seen on it. Ask questions if you have any.

I've actually been very curious about the bolded part for a while now. Do you mind linking whatever studies you've come across on this? I'd be interested in seeing what if any differences were noted. Thanks!

Apologies if you already posted them, I only read the first page of the thread before posting.

I posted some in another thread, let me see if I can find it.

I found this study, but it wasn't recomposition. I will keep looking for the ones that I posted.
    http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/10.1111/j.1467-789X.2011.00873.x/abstract;jsessionid=6DBE313026EAAB4F827222DFF90314DA.f02t04

If you can find them, that would be great. There are differing 'schools of thought' that I have seen on this but have not seen any studies. I would be very interested in seeing them (genuine interest, unlike certain others :p ) as the steady v varying intake comes up quite a bit.

Will try to find the full text of the one you linked - the concept of FFM retention could be due to timing of calories around training sessions, and as a result, more effective training (i.e. more LBM retention) - but on a cut, you have less calories to play with and as such, timing of meals is more important, as compared to maintenance so I would conjecture that this holds less true. However, I am assuming here, so as I say, will try to find the full text.

I forgot all about looking when the thread blew up yesterday. I will look when I have a chance today.

Your mention of timing around training reminds me of the section in this (I linked it yesterday): http://www.jissn.com/content/11/1/20

It's about cutting and pertains to people on the low end of the body fat spectrum, but I do wonder if nutrient timing is less important for someone who isn't close to being competition lean. Either way, as you know, individual preference and adherence is far more important than sticking with ideals.

The full article from what I linked above is here: http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/10.1111/j.1467-789X.2011.00873.x/full

come back to
  • bioklutz
    bioklutz Posts: 1,365 Member
    Options

You do not have to carb cycle or calorie cycle if you don't want to.

At first I was adjusting my calories based on my exercise for the day. I wanted to use the extra calories as another motivator to continue to work out. It started to become too complicated to adjust 3 different calorie scenarios (cardio, strength, rest). I switched to TDEE for the simplicity of it.
  • rybo
    rybo Posts: 5,424 Member
    Options
    I am pretty much in a recomp. I suppose I have been for a couple years but the last 6-10 months I've been a little more focused. I don't do anything special, I just train hard both for strength and conditioning. I run very occasionally, & hike a good bit. I'm starting to play with carb cycling to see if that adds anything to my approach. I plan to eat fewer carbs on off days, nothing too major. I'll have to dig up some pics to post and show my results. I'd probably have done even better if I was more detailed and stricter with my eating. But being extremely lean isn't worth the effort
  • usmcmp
    usmcmp Posts: 21,220 Member
    Options

No, they are totally separate concepts. You can carb cycle on a recomp, but for most people it's unnecessary.

Recomposition is basically eating at maintenance calories and lifting. It is a way to lower body fat and add lean mass without having to do bulk and cut cycles. It improves body composition, so that you don't have to drop to an unhealthy weight to reduce body fat levels. It also makes getting and staying lean easier.
  • slaite1
    slaite1 Posts: 1,307 Member
    Options
    Bump