Recomposition: Maintaining weight while losing fat

Replies

• ExRelaySprinter
    ExRelaySprinter Posts: 874 Member
    I don't have any research, but I'll post my results here. I've been recomping for about 2 years. I have chronic illness and eating at a deficit can be too much stress on my system.

On the left I was 125 lbs, 24% body fat according to the Eat, Train, Progress body fat estimation thread. On the right I'm still 125 lbs but 2 sizes smaller.

eratv3u3d0sb.png

e34ba407-6e5a-47d6-903c-59c82d5f512b_zps3cf7062a.png

I think you looked pretty good in the left pic! ;)
    But well done on dropping 2 sizes though.
    Very interesting thread that i'll keep my eye on.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,879 Member
    Thanks for the info :) I looked into this, but since I do body-weight strength training and not heavy lifting, I don't think it would work for me, bummer!

you don't have to lift "heavy"...I go through cycles of "heavy" strength training, but they are generally pretty short in duration as truly "heavy" cycles are very taxing and leave me with very little in the tank to do the other fitness things I enjoy.

As lifting goes, I primarily do Oly work as I find it very beneficial for my cycling and cyclocross. For the most part, this work is done at about 60% of my max and my assistance work is typically done with a 12/6/3 undulating periodization. I usually save my "heavy" work for the winter when I don't really want to be out on my bike or on the hiking trails, etc quite as much and being tanked from my lifts is no big deal. I also do some cycles of primarily light weight/high rep and/or body weight work as well...usually in the fall when I'm doing cyclocross (not that I'm remotely competitive).

You can do just fine with body weight training...the key though is going to be progressive overload...that is harder to do with body weight training as you basically have to do harder versions of the exercises...more reps isn't always optimal....whereas progressively overloading your body is pretty easy to do with barbells and plates.
  • ladybg81
    ladybg81 Posts: 1,553 Member
    Both replies totally make sense. Thank you!
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,879 Member
    usmcmp wrote: »
    ladybg81 wrote: »
    Following. I have 10 more pounds I want to lose but am SICK of "dieting." Been very much considering doing a recomp instead.

I see several people mentioned not being "mentally ready" for recomp or a bulk/ cut. I've never done either but I'd like to know that you guys mean.

Recomp is just a slow process and it feels like you don't make progress.

Bulking is mentally tough. You think you are ready to eat, but you freak out when you start gaining weight. Some of us who were fat at one point go through "Former Fat Boy Syndrome". It's really just hard having dieted for a long time to lose fat and then purposefully gain fat in the pursuit of gaining muscle.

http://www.jcdfitness.com/2009/10/the-former-fat-boy-syndrome/

big time...
  • jmule24
    jmule24 Posts: 1,404 Member
    edited June 2015
    I would say that I had been "un-intentionally" re-comping from Jan - 2012 until Jun - 2014. I didn't know what MACROs were, I just cared about getting protein in the diet, and working out 4-5x per week. While I have results to show for it; I feel as though since I've properly educated myself, gotten my diet on point, and have a solid lifting program the remainder of 2015 is going to be gain city! Here were my stats with ZERO diet adherence, sloppy bro programming, and a ton of running! (I used to enjoy running 10k and did a half-marathon too)

January 2013
    BW: 172 lbs
    BF%: around 25%
    LBM: 129 lbs (skinny fat)

Today - 6/15
    BW: 161 lbs
    BF%: 12.5 %
    LBM: 140 lbs

Estimated - 11/15
    BW: 172 lbs
    BF%: 15.5%
    LBM: 145.5 lbs

While in my head I feel like I've been "spinning" my wheels, I can see that over three years I will have added 16.5 lbs to my LBM. While still ending up at the same bodyweight. I think at that point I will have the self-confidence to post before/after pictures.

Note: I started my first "bulk" October 2014 - February 2015. I "cut & reversed" from March 2015 - May 2015, and now I'm in week 2 of my "bulk" until years end.

Edit: From June 2014 - Now, I have been following a 5x5 or 5/3/1 lifting program, I've also been using CICO / IIFYM for my "diet" ..... "diet - the food that makes up my daily intake"
  • Wiseandcurious
    Wiseandcurious Posts: 730 Member
    Thanks for this great thread... I am a long way from goal weight range yet but I am hooked onto the fitness benefits I've been having with lifting and now running and a recomp is definitely in my future.

Particular thanks to @cwolfman13, yours is the kind of story I came looking for in this thread. I am not interested in getting a certain physique (well apart from obviously getting to healthy weight) but in a certain, well, functionality of my body - to lift and run and jump and climb and cycle etc etc, and was wondering how much fitness gain one can get without bulking. Your story is very encouraging.
  • joepratt503
    joepratt503 Posts: 191 Member
    ndj1979 wrote: »
    tagging to follow.

out of curiosity, as carbs are more important on a bulk; should your carbs and protein be pretty evenly distributed on a recomp, or would you want more coming from protein, and less from carbs?

Usually the protein number spikes during a cut because when you reduce carbs you certainly wont want to get the calories from excess fat. Also, and this may be a bit of bro science, but the increase in protein during the cut/diet will help limit the amount of muscle loss based on what I have read.

• Sarasmaintaining
    Sarasmaintaining Posts: 1,027 Member
    usmcmp wrote: »
    Thanks for the info :) I looked into this, but since I do body-weight strength training and not heavy lifting, I don't think it would work for me, bummer!

There are ways you can add resistance to body weight exercises and there are modifications that make body weight exercises harder. Progressive overload is generally viewed as adding more weight, but we can overload the muscles in other ways.

Thanks! I'll have to play around with what I'm doing and see if I can add some things. Right now I'm doing Nerd Fitness's Beginners body-weight strength training circuit and I am using 10lb weights for one of the movements, so that's one thing I can progress on :)
  • usmcmp
    usmcmp Posts: 21,220 Member
    ndj1979 wrote: »
    tagging to follow.

out of curiosity, as carbs are more important on a bulk; should your carbs and protein be pretty evenly distributed on a recomp, or would you want more coming from protein, and less from carbs?

Usually the protein number spikes during a cut because when you reduce carbs you certainly wont want to get the calories from excess fat. Also, and this may be a bit of bro science, but the increase in protein during the cut/diet will help limit the amount of muscle loss based on what I have read.

He's asking about recomp, not a cut. A recomp would allow room for most people to have plenty of all the macros.

There are studies out there showing that with appropriate resistance training someone can maintain lean mass with less protein than you think (a few short term studies showed little loss with .4g/lb LBM and .6g/lb LBM, but I wouldn't be comfortable with that over long term).

You may find this interesting: http://www.jissn.com/content/11/1/20
  • shrinkingletters
    shrinkingletters Posts: 1,008 Member
    This sounds like what happened to me way back when, and I had no idea how I'd managed it. thought it was a happy accident that at 5'4 I was 133 lbs and still fitting into small/xsmall clothes. I'm gonna keep an eye on this thread as I get closer to GW, so I can do this with intention this time around.
  • Sarasmaintaining
    Sarasmaintaining Posts: 1,027 Member

Sure you can. These sites are pretty cool and show you tons of bodyweight progressions:

http://bodyweighttrainingarena.com

http://www.startbodyweight.com

Thanks so much, heading over to check these out now!
  • Prayforya
    Prayforya Posts: 68 Member
    Bump for info.
  • mantium999
    mantium999 Posts: 1,490 Member
    Tagging to follow. Good stuff in here.
  • RodaRose
    RodaRose Posts: 9,562 Member
    A great thread. I will be back soon. Thanx.
  • SkinnyGirlCarrie
    SkinnyGirlCarrie Posts: 259 Member
    Thanks for this! I am pretty close to goal weight and would be much more interested in a recomp than a bulk/cut (eek, putting on weight on purpose) and have been meaning to start researching.

Plus I do not belong to a gym, I do bodyweight/free weights at home and think from that aspect recomp would be the way to go. Not in a hurry :smile: