Recomposition: Maintaining weight while losing fat

Replies

• Erfw7471
    Erfw7471 Posts: 242 Member
    Thank you for this thread, I'll be eagerly following. I've got to come out of a deficit but I'm not up for cut/bulk cycles so a recomp is what I'm bumping my cals up to currently.
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    ILiftHeavyAcrylics Posts: 27,732 Member
    3bambi3 wrote: »
    I don't have any research, but I'll post my results here. I've been recomping for about 2 years. I have chronic illness and eating at a deficit can be too much stress on my system.

On the left I was 125 lbs, 24% body fat according to the Eat, Train, Progress body fat estimation thread. On the right I'm still 125 lbs but 2 sizes smaller.

eratv3u3d0sb.png

e34ba407-6e5a-47d6-903c-59c82d5f512b_zps3cf7062a.png

Nice!

How were your lifts during recomp? I find I'm stalling out while cutting, and I'm hoping when I transition to maintenance I can see some further progress.

Well, it's a little different for me because of my chronic pain issues. I often have to scale back and deload so I'm not as far along with my lifts as a lot of ladies who have been lifting the same amount of time. For me the limiting factor is fatigue for the most part, and pain to lesser extent. So I haven't actually gotten to the point where my lifts stop progressing yet.
  • Sephixteeo
    Sephixteeo Posts: 75 Member
    I'm in!

Still trying to figure when to cross this line, but soon. It is hard to tell where my body fat level is. As of now, I don't think I have it in me for a bulk and cut series of cycles.
  • jacksonpt
    jacksonpt Posts: 10,413 Member
    Good post, OP.

I've done all the reading, so I get it from the conceptual side... following along for first hand experiences.
  • PeachyCarol
    PeachyCarol Posts: 8,029 Member
    Chieflrg wrote: »
    I've tried the recomp a couple times & it was just more of a mind fudge to me then bulk/cut cycles.

I'm a guy who at times does extreme physical exercises just from a compulsive thought. I deal with a joint problems from a disease and when my body is feeling well enough I tend try to get it in when I can. With recomp my mind tends to over think how much exercise I can do or even more how much I should eat because I'm either more active or less active. Therefore my calories are all over the board. With a bulk/cut cycles I find it easier to correct my calorie over/under consumption.

It causes stress which in turn causes more pain throughout my body. I wish it didn't. I applaud everybody who is able to recomp as its a very useful tool for many people, its just not for me.

Well, this raises a question for me, because that describes my situation as well. I also think it would be a problem were I to do bulking/cutting, though.

I'm not really sure how I plan to address calorie intake when I get to the point of recomp. Thoughts?

• ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,139 Member
    I've tried the recomp a couple times & it was just more of a mind fudge to me then bulk/cut cycles.

I'm a guy who at times does extreme physical exercises just from a compulsive thought. I deal with a joint problems from a disease and when my body is feeling well enough I tend try to get it in when I can. With recomp my mind tends to over think how much exercise I can do or even more how much I should eat because I'm either more active or less active. Therefore my calories are all over the board. With a bulk/cut cycles I find it easier to correct my calorie over/under consumption.

It causes stress which in turn causes more pain throughout my body. I wish it didn't. I applaud everybody who is able to recomp as its a very useful tool for many people, its just not for me.

Well, this raises a question for me, because that describes my situation as well. I also think it would be a problem were I to do bulking/cutting, though.

I'm not really sure how I plan to address calorie intake when I get to the point of recomp. Thoughts?

well in my experience, by the time you get to whether you want to bulk/cut or recomp you pretty much have your maintenance number pegged. I know that I maintain at right around 2600 to 2700 calories a week. so when I went into bulk mode I bumped up to 2900 and waited a week, checked the scale, and then increased or decreased as needed.

Honestly, it comes down to playing with the numbers and trial and error. I think you have a little more leeway when doing a bulk, because if you over shoot your numbers then you should still be OK. My basic understanding of recomp is that you would have to be more strict and accurate with your intake and logging.
  • jmule24
    jmule24 Posts: 1,404 Member
    edited June 2015
    ndj1979 wrote: »

well in my experience, by the time you get to whether you want to bulk/cut or recomp you pretty much have your maintenance number pegged. I know that I maintain at right around 2600 to 2700 calories a week. so when I went into bulk mode I bumped up to 2900 and waited a week, checked the scale, and then increased or decreased as needed.

Honestly, it comes down to playing with the numbers and trial and error. I think you have a little more leeway when doing a bulk, because if you over shoot your numbers then you should still be OK. My basic understanding of recomp is that you would have to be more strict and accurate with your intake and logging.

This has been my experience as well. The main reason I can't personally stick with a recomp is a constant flux up and down of my weight 2-5lbs from week to week. It's been my experience with bulk/cut cycle that overtime my weight steadily increases/decreases. Even taking the time to find your true "maintenance" intake can take a few weeks.
  • PeachyCarol

Well that makes so much sense it should be glaringly obvious. And somehow, what you said made a light bulb go off in my head.

By the time I'm at the end game, because I'm old and short, a nice chunk of my deficit is going to come from exercise (online TDEE calculators have my sedentary calories about 150 cals above my current intake). I should be able to average out what's been going on... good days and bad over a month or so... with the scale and collect my own data to get a good figure for my TDEE at that point.

That's if I'm thinking correctly.

• sjohnson__1
    sjohnson__1 Posts: 405 Member

Well that makes so much sense it should be glaringly obvious. And somehow, what you said made a light bulb go off in my head.

By the time I'm at the end game, because I'm old and short, a nice chunk of my deficit is going to come from exercise (online TDEE calculators have my sedentary calories about 150 cals above my current intake). I should be able to average out what's been going on... good days and bad over a month or so... with the scale and collect my own data to get a good figure for my TDEE at that point.

Sounds correct to me. Just be willing to play with your TDEE for a while until you get it constant. Even then, you'll likely see a small fluctuation +/- 2 or 3 lbs.
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,139 Member

Sounds correct to me. Just be willing to play with your TDEE for a while until you get it constant. Even then, you'll likely see a small fluctuation +/- 2 or 3 lbs.

mine fluctuates based on intake..so at the higher end of my bulk my maintenance is probably closer to 2800 but then when I transition to cutting the lower end is like 2600...

but running a bulk/cut cycle really does help you peg the range down with respect to the numbers ....
  • PeachyCarol

Cool. I'm good with a fluctuation. I'm used to that happening anyway.

• usmcmp
    usmcmp Posts: 21,220 Member
    ythannah wrote: »
    Oooh, finally a thread for me! :)

I'm recomping. Mainly because I'm 51, menopausal and not genetically designed to build muscle... didn't know how effective a true "bulk" would be, particularly as I'm not very ambitious about my progressive overload. Also because I'm not diligent enough to follow a strict intake plan, my eating is all over the place, and I'm guesstimating calories/macros more than half the time since I'm not the cook.

But I wanted to build/maintain bone density and muscle tissue as I know how fast those can decrease for us middle-aged females, and I've got a strong predisposition toward osteoporosis anyway. A secondary goal was to firm up some spots that had moved south and turned mushy within the past couple of years (despite no change in weight).

I've probably been at this seriously for about 10 months now, although I didn't start making more effort with protein intake until about 6 or so months ago. And I must be eating precisely at maintenance because my weight has stayed exactly the same. My pants are noticeably looser... I've lost about 1" off waist and 1.5" or so off hips. (Paradoxically, thigh measurement has increased 1") There is more visible definition -- well, ANY is better than NONE, which is what I had before. BF per scale (I know, I know) says down 1.5%.

Not really sure what has been going on, whether I'm succeeding in gaining muscle or just losing BF, or a combination of both, especially when my weight has been so ridiculously stable. I wish I had access to a DEXA scan so I knew what was going on in there.

From what it sounds like you have done a bit of recomposition in that time frame. If your clothes fit looser and you have lost inches without losing weight that's an indication that you are losing fat while building muscle. You don't have to try to rush to get to the end and it sounds like you are going at a pace that suits your needs.
  • SideSteel
    SideSteel Posts: 11,068 Member
    usmcmp wrote: »
    There's a lot of talk about recomposition through the boards, so I wanted to have a place where we can compile research on it and experiences with it.

When is recomp appropriate? When you are at a decent weight for your height, but your body fat is still at a level that is undesirable to you recomposition is probably a good option. It's a way to maintain your weight, eat well and still lose fat. This is a slow process and can feel like spinning your wheels, but it can be less mentally stressful than bulk and cut cycles.

The keys to recomposition are:

1. At the end of the week you have eaten at about your TDEE. You may choose to cycle calories or eat at a flat rate every day, there are studies that support both, but start with personal preference. If you have a consistent workout schedule using a TDEE calculator should place your goal fairly close to your actual maintenance. The only way to know for sure is to monitor your weight and calories over time while adjusting calories when you have an up or down trend.

2. Getting adequate protein. Protein is a building block of muscle. The goal of recomposition is to build muscle and lose fat at the same time. Protein, carbohydrates and fats play different roles in the muscle building process, so make sure that you keep to a macronutrient set up that works for you. This may need to be adjusted over time.

3. Lift! Following a good lifting program is the key to the entire process. It's where the magic happens. Pick a program that you will enjoy and that is going to challenge you. Continue to focus on improving.

4. Take pictures and measure. It's a slow process and you may feel you are making no progress. Your measurements will help you see that you are making progress.

Feel free to share stories of recomposition and any research you have seen on it. Ask questions if you have any.

I've actually been very curious about the bolded part for a while now. Do you mind linking whatever studies you've come across on this? I'd be interested in seeing what if any differences were noted. Thanks!

Apologies if you already posted them, I only read the first page of the thread before posting.
  • usmcmp
    edited June 2015
    SideSteel wrote: »
    There's a lot of talk about recomposition through the boards, so I wanted to have a place where we can compile research on it and experiences with it.

When is recomp appropriate? When you are at a decent weight for your height, but your body fat is still at a level that is undesirable to you recomposition is probably a good option. It's a way to maintain your weight, eat well and still lose fat. This is a slow process and can feel like spinning your wheels, but it can be less mentally stressful than bulk and cut cycles.

The keys to recomposition are:

1. At the end of the week you have eaten at about your TDEE. You may choose to cycle calories or eat at a flat rate every day, there are studies that support both, but start with personal preference. If you have a consistent workout schedule using a TDEE calculator should place your goal fairly close to your actual maintenance. The only way to know for sure is to monitor your weight and calories over time while adjusting calories when you have an up or down trend.

2. Getting adequate protein. Protein is a building block of muscle. The goal of recomposition is to build muscle and lose fat at the same time. Protein, carbohydrates and fats play different roles in the muscle building process, so make sure that you keep to a macronutrient set up that works for you. This may need to be adjusted over time.

3. Lift! Following a good lifting program is the key to the entire process. It's where the magic happens. Pick a program that you will enjoy and that is going to challenge you. Continue to focus on improving.

4. Take pictures and measure. It's a slow process and you may feel you are making no progress. Your measurements will help you see that you are making progress.

Feel free to share stories of recomposition and any research you have seen on it. Ask questions if you have any.

I've actually been very curious about the bolded part for a while now. Do you mind linking whatever studies you've come across on this? I'd be interested in seeing what if any differences were noted. Thanks!

Apologies if you already posted them, I only read the first page of the thread before posting.

I posted some in another thread, let me see if I can find it.

I found this study, but it wasn't recomposition. I will keep looking for the ones that I posted.
    http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/10.1111/j.1467-789X.2011.00873.x/abstract;jsessionid=6DBE313026EAAB4F827222DFF90314DA.f02t04
  • ythannah
    ythannah Posts: 4,365 Member

I'm recomping. Mainly because I'm 51, menopausal and not genetically designed to build muscle... didn't know how effective a true "bulk" would be, particularly as I'm not very ambitious about my progressive overload. Also because I'm not diligent enough to follow a strict intake plan, my eating is all over the place, and I'm guesstimating calories/macros more than half the time since I'm not the cook.

But I wanted to build/maintain bone density and muscle tissue as I know how fast those can decrease for us middle-aged females, and I've got a strong predisposition toward osteoporosis anyway. A secondary goal was to firm up some spots that had moved south and turned mushy within the past couple of years (despite no change in weight).

I've probably been at this seriously for about 10 months now, although I didn't start making more effort with protein intake until about 6 or so months ago. And I must be eating precisely at maintenance because my weight has stayed exactly the same. My pants are noticeably looser... I've lost about 1" off waist and 1.5" or so off hips. (Paradoxically, thigh measurement has increased 1") There is more visible definition -- well, ANY is better than NONE, which is what I had before. BF per scale (I know, I know) says down 1.5%.

Not really sure what has been going on, whether I'm succeeding in gaining muscle or just losing BF, or a combination of both, especially when my weight has been so ridiculously stable. I wish I had access to a DEXA scan so I knew what was going on in there.

From what it sounds like you have done a bit of recomposition in that time frame. If your clothes fit looser and you have lost inches without losing weight that's an indication that you are losing fat while building muscle. You don't have to try to rush to get to the end and it sounds like you are going at a pace that suits your needs.

That's what I was hoping, except I kinda thought I should have gained a little weight if I'd added muscle. I'd be okay with that as technically I'm a wee bit underweight per BMI charts and the number on the scale doesn't concern me much. Nobody but me sees that... the mushy bits are potentially more evident.

As for pace, I'm just super paranoid about joint injury. I don't heal so quickly these days.
  • PeachyCarol

That's what I was hoping, except I kinda thought I should have gained a little weight if I'd added muscle. I'd be okay with that as technically I'm a wee bit underweight per BMI charts and the number on the scale doesn't concern me much. Nobody but me sees that... the mushy bits are potentially more evident.

As for pace, I'm just super paranoid about joint injury. I don't heal so quickly these days.

The way I see it is you lost fat, gained muscle. The proportions worked out so that the scale balanced. I think that's pretty much HOW recomp works as far as weight is concerned (with minor scale variations).

• usmcmp

An even exchange in fat and muscle is not typical (which is why the guys who want to stay at 180 and get huge get frustrated). Your exchange happened over a long enough time line that you didn't gain weight. You said that you haven't been ambitious on the overload, combined with age means slow gains in lean mass. You may gain a few pounds especially in water weight if you did focus more on the lifting. Since you are getting results and are happy with it at this point there is no need to change.