Recomposition: Maintaining weight while losing fat

Options

Replies

• auddii
    auddii Posts: 15,357 Member
    Options
    sijomial wrote: »
    Giolis wrote: »
    My understanding is that the actual act of lifting weights only minimally increases how much you burn afterwards. The benefit comes from building more muscle which require more calories to maintain.

HIIT type training is said to continue burning calories long after and at a higher rate.

@Giolis
    Both these two things are pretty much myths unfortunately - for practical purposes.

The calorie burn from muscle at rest (the body maintaining muscle tissue) is minimal so adding a few pounds of muscle is totally irrelevant, it's activity and exercise that makes the difference.
    http://www.bodyrecomposition.com/research-review/dissecting-the-energy-needs-of-the-body-research-review.html

HIIT type training does have a larger EPOC than low level steady state cardio exercise but it's potentially a larger proportion of a much smaller number. Real HIIT is very short duration and that time also includes recovery time - it just isn't a big calorie burner.
    http://www.bodyrecomposition.com/fat-loss/steady-state-versus-intervals-and-epoc-practical-application.html/

Train to progress your fitness, strength, hypertrophy and sporting goals not some irrelevant calorie burning advantage.

I really wish the fitness industry would step back and objectively consider something before jumping on the bandwagon. Yes, hiit can be beneficial, but I saw much more consistent progress when I added liss cardio back into my program.

The bolded is great advice.
  • DoreenaV1975
    DoreenaV1975 Posts: 567 Member
    edited August 2015
    Options
    This is all really helpful information (even though I haven't completely read through the whole thread yet), that I intend to look back on for future use.

I just wanted to share my journey so far as well.

I'm currently only 3 and half months in to my recomp, so I'm still learning what is going to work best for me, but I have seen some small results. I measure every two weeks and weigh myself daily to monitor fluctuations, but I only record it (on MFP) once a month. My only means to measure BF% is based on my measurements, which I know isn't accurate but it's the best I have for now, plus I believe the average I have is pretty close (and I can't afford to pay for a more accurate measure).

Close to the end of February (when I first decided to do a recomp) my stats were: waist-26.5, hips-35, neck-13.5, thighs-20, arms(biceps)-9, and weight-111. Estimated BF: 22.3 - 23%

By the end of March my stats were: waist-25, hips-34, neck-13, thighs-19, arms-9, and weight-110. Estimated BF: 21.5 - 22%

Currently my stats (measured 5/31/15) are: waist-25, hips-32, neck-12, thighs-19, arms-10.5, and weight 109.5. Estimated BF: 19.5 - 21%

I have been noticing slight up and down trends in my biweekly measurements and based on my daily weigh ins I'm fluctuating between 108-110.5lbs (5'0" BTW). I'd like to be closer to 105 but I actually don't mind being at the weight I'm at now though.

I literally started at the very bottom when I started lifting (only 5 to 10 lb weights, I know I was weak) but I've slowly progressed and I'm happy to say that I'm lifting 20-25 lbs more now and continuing to progress every few weeks.

Ok, well I'm going to go back to the beginning now and start taking some notes :smile:. Again great thread, thanks @usmcmp for creating this.

I just discovered this thread!
    @FitStrongHealthy Just read your post and it inspired me!
    I'm 5'1" 107lbs and I just started strength training w/ my husband.
    At 107lbs I think I'm done losing weight but I still have some flab on my tummy butt and thighs that I want to get rid of.
    I'm so weak right now, currently lifting 5 - 7.5lb weights.
    And although I was trying to think positive , that I will progress, I was still a bit doubtful.
    Now I feel a lot more confident that if I keep at it I will improve!
    Thanks for your post!
  • griffinca2
    griffinca2 Posts: 672 Member
    Options
    Doreen, I was having the same problem you are having (lifting heavier--couldn't get past the 20 lb BB mark w/bi curls, 5 lb on lat raises, etc.); so I switched how I lifted. Try upping your sets (along w/a heavier weight) to 4 (vs. 3) and dropping your reps to 4 (even if you can only to one or two reps keep at it). I can now do 4 sets of 3-4 reps w/30 lb BB (which I could barely lift before) and lat raises w/9 lb. I switched up my routine at the beginning of Aug (lowered the sets back to 3 and the reps back up to 10); doing what is called HIET (High Intensity Explosive Training); basically doing your reps as fast as you can while keeping good form. For Sep I plan on returning back to 4 sets, 4 reps and heavier weights. I started recomp in July and am noticing some changes (slow but sure); so not sure the results at the end of three months (we shall see). My diary is open for viewing. Good luck. B)
  • Giolis
    Giolis Posts: 1,204 Member
    edited August 2015
    Options
    My understanding is that the actual act of lifting weights only minimally increases how much you burn afterwards. The benefit comes from building more muscle which require more calories to maintain.

HIIT type training is said to continue burning calories long after and at a higher rate.

@Giolis
    Both these two things are pretty much myths unfortunately - for practical purposes.

The calorie burn from muscle at rest (the body maintaining muscle tissue) is minimal so adding a few pounds of muscle is totally irrelevant, it's activity and exercise that makes the difference.
    http://www.bodyrecomposition.com/research-review/dissecting-the-energy-needs-of-the-body-research-review.html

HIIT type training does have a larger EPOC than low level steady state cardio exercise but it's potentially a larger proportion of a much smaller number. Real HIIT is very short duration and that time also includes recovery time - it just isn't a big calorie burner.
    http://www.bodyrecomposition.com/fat-loss/steady-state-versus-intervals-and-epoc-practical-application.html/

Train to progress your fitness, strength, hypertrophy and sporting goals not some irrelevant calorie burning advantage.

@sijomial

Totally agree with you!

I was by no means endorsing any of them for their calorie burning benefits. I was hoping the use of the word "minimally" would reflect that. I'm a firm believer that your diet is where you manage your calories and that exercise is for fitness. Any side benefit of extra calories burned just means I can have a beer with my dinner.
  • griffinca2
    griffinca2 Posts: 672 Member
    Options
    I'm not training to lose weight (already done that); that's why I decided to recomp. Goal is to lose some more body fat (just a few percentage points and increase my muscle mass. But you're right, exercise really does not help in the weight loss game; it's mainly to increase your fitness and make changes to your body (weight lifting). Goal of recomp is to lose body fat and gain muscle at the same time (vs. bulk/cut).
  • heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    Options
    AsISmile wrote: »
    I hae two issues with that vid.

The first is something I've run into before online, there seems to be no concensus if you need to eat defecit, maintenance or surplus for a recomp.
    Does anyone have a good source on this? Preferably scientific?

The second is the whole quality proteine and lean muscle.
    Proteine is proteine and muscle is muscle, correct?

I think this is interesting question. And probably looking at wrong sources online.

Because the meaning of recomp doesn't require scientific source - you are losing fat while you are gaining muscle and weight stays the same.
    That's just what it means. Recomposition, not weight loss, not weight gain.

So on average, say weekly, you are eating at maintenance for weight to stay the same.

Now literally every day you are not likely eating exactly what you burn. Because many eat the same amount daily, but obviously on some days they are eating less than they really burn (workout day), and on some days eating more than they really burn (rest days while body repairs).

Lifters eating in surplus with progressive overload routine have shown ability to add 1 lb muscle every 2 weeks, 4 for women. About equal amounts of fat since surplus.

Since it will be slower eating at maintenance generally compared to doing bulk/cut cycle, you can see comments from many in this thread about their change of mental focus, or why they chose recomp, ect.

Also, despite his usage in the video and other sources - there is no such thing as lean muscle, as if you had any control over that aspect. Outside endurance cardio causing a tad bit of fat stores to be in the muscle for easier access - your body genetics determines how much fat is in the different muscle.

What is usually meant by lean muscle is not gaining fat on top of it - hence recomp, where you actually lose some fat on top of it.

And no protein is not just protein - look up complete and incomplete proteins for starters. Casein for what he referenced from the study for followup.
  • heybales
    Options

@Giolis

To add to this excellent info.

Real HIIT gets as close to a lifting EPOC calorie burn as you'll get. But also requires that repair the next day like lifting, and extra burn there. And also why endurance pro's will only include it maybe once a week in routines.

Some of those other workouts that have the HIIT label slapped on them may indeed feel intense - but mainly because you don't rest to allow doing anything later in the session very hard. Sure it feels hard.

Hold your breath for 30 seconds while doing a workout. Just because it became mighty hard to do doesn't mean it was a really good workout and engaged the muscles all that great. That's fatigue.

That doesn't mean you need repair from that type of workout.
  • FitStrongHealthy
    FitStrongHealthy Posts: 220 Member
    Options
    Thank you, @DoreenaV1975. I'm just glad I can help motivate and inspire others. I used to hate lifting, especially when I was so weak, but now it's the best part of my day. I get excited about it and I love that. My husband has to be my biggest motivator though. He's always encouraging my do any extra, helping me with my form, and reminding me how strong I've gotten. And of course he's always telling me how hot he thinks I look lol.
  • meldusa21
    meldusa21 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Just starting on my recomp journey. But still finding it hard to stay motivated. We have a home gym with everything you need but it's very lonely. I don't have a workout partner because none of my friends have the same goals. And they squirm when I mention weights. Meeting with a friend of a friend who may be interested.
  • Moter98
    Moter98 Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    Newbie to this thread! Lost 12lbs and now at a happy weight of 122lbs (I'm 5 ft 3 by the way). I really need to tone my butt and legs as they're still quite large compared to my waist. Trying to find a new workout plan so if you can recommend one - please do. I have no gym access and only 2 x 2kg weights! Holiday is 12 weeks away so if I can make some changes by then I'd be over the moon. Thank you :)

Nia Shanks has a bodyweight only program and the book Strong Curves has a 12 week bodyweight program.

• jamieedwards725
    jamieedwards725 Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    How beneficial would stronglifts 5x5 be for a recomp.( As well as 3 cardio sessions a week).

I'm at 13 % body fat.
    141lbs.
    5'6"

And if so should I eat and maintenance or aim a little higher?

Any help appreciated.
  • AsISmile
    AsISmile Posts: 1,004 Member
    Options
    How beneficial would stronglifts 5x5 be for a recomp.( As well as 3 cardio sessions a week).

I'm at 13 % body fat.
    141lbs.
    5'6"

Any help appreciated.

Stronglifts is a great beginner lifting program regardless of goal. So if that is the one you like, go for it.
    Online opinions differ, in this thread we think go for maintenance, because a little higher would be a mini bulk.. Chance of gaining fat..
    So eat maintenance and plenty of protein.

• rushfive
    rushfive Posts: 603 Member
    Options

@Giolis

I am a bit late responding, but I got it and understand. I need to get out of the weight loss mindset and into strength. (for me)

Thanks All, again.
  • loulamb7
    loulamb7 Posts: 801 Member
    Options

I'm at 13 % body fat.
    141lbs.
    5'6"

Any help appreciated.

Recomp is a very slow process. If I were a 24 year old male at 13% BF, I would opt for a bulk/cut cycle.

• bioklutz
    bioklutz Posts: 1,365 Member
    Options
    I am now about 7 months into recomp. I am FINALLY starting to see small changes in my legs. I can't believe I took an underwear pic and am posting it! I am just so excited to see what changes will happen in the next 3-6 months!

f3ihstg8srjo.jpg
  • jamieedwards725
    jamieedwards725 Posts: 18 Member
    Options

loulamb7 wrote: »

Recomp is a very slow process. If I were a 24 year old male at 13% BF, I would opt for a bulk/cut cycle.

What are the reasons for this? Thank you...

• loulamb7
    loulamb7 Posts: 801 Member
    Options

loulamb7 wrote: »

What are the reasons for this? Thank you...

A bulk/cut is more efficient at developing muscle mass because you're providing your body the surplus calories to build muscle faster than a recomp. Hormonally (higher testosterone) and BF% wise, you're in a good place to start a bulk.

• huango
    huango Posts: 1,007 Member
    Options
    Help: I'm a little confused.

Which plan should I be on?
    My goal is to lose body fat, to reveal my muscles.

-->> Plan A: recomp while eating at Maintenance,
    or
    -->> Plan B. eat at deficit? (w/out the Bulking part)?

I'm 4' 10 3/4" and 114.8#.
    My EatScale says 18.5% body fat, but I think it's more ~ 26%.

I feel fluffy/round-looking. I can grab an inch of fat just about every where, even though there's plenty of muscles underneath.
    I squat x5reps 115#; deadlift x5reps 140#; can do 2 chin-ups (to show that there should be muscles under there).
    I don't really care what the number of the scale says at the end of the day; I just want to be leaner.

11834811_10207715466910603_2138488007554553589_o.jpg

Before now, I couldn't see any of the (tiny) definition by the strap of my pink tank:
    11850575_10207715446950104_2667364813577384735_o.jpg

Happy w/ my bicep, trying to reduce my tricep area:
    11864838_10207715446990105_4908753150962803047_o.jpg

Appreciate your input.
    Thank you very much,
    Amanda
  • heybales
    edited August 2015
    Options
    Plan B - you have enough to keep losing to healthy weight/body fat levels.
    It could take a long long time to recomp those changes.

But - confirm you stop at healthy weight, no matter what amount of fat you feel still needs to be gone, start recomp then with whatever is left.

If the lifting is under 1 year of experience, you may have just a tad more of gains you can get while losing fat.

You may also decide at some point the weight increase on the bar feels more important than the extra fat gone from the body. Recomp then.

And then again - nothing to stop doing a recomp for a bit, then deficit to lose say 2 lbs in couple weeks, then recomp, repeat.
  • Noot30
    Noot30 Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    This is great. I am thinking of doing a recomp. I have been doing a lot of cardio to get my weight under control, ad think I'm there now (and have been for a few months), and would like to reduce cardio but not gain weight (fat).

I am thinking a recomp is the way forward. I've been looking at stronglifts and started Tuesday so very early days.

One question - is TDEE the best way to track calories? With the cardio I could see what I had to eat left, and how many extra calories I "gained". But with the lfting want to increase my protein but not go over my daily/ weekly calories. I think this has been answered before, so sorry if repitition.