Recomposition: Maintaining weight while losing fat

Options

Replies

• Hornsby
    Hornsby Posts: 10,322 Member
    Options
    22.9 is the actually in the "fitness" range for women. Not high at all really. Assuming it's accurate which who knows.
  • DebSozo
    DebSozo Posts: 2,578 Member
    Options
    arditarose wrote: »
    Ah this thread. I remember coming here after I lost most of my weight and stressing about recomp. Now I'm like...recomp, it's gonna happen.

How long does it normally take to recomp 5 pounds of fat into lean body mass?
  • DebSozo
    Options
    Hornsby wrote: »
    22.9 is the actually in the "fitness" range for women. Not high at all really. Assuming it's accurate which who knows.

I would like to shift some weight around. I'd like to lose 10 pounds of fat and gain 5 pounds of muscle. :)
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,389 MFP Moderator
    Options
    I really need to go back and catch up on this thread. Seems like a lot of good stuff happened recently..
  • Hornsby
    Options
    DebSozo wrote: »
    Hornsby wrote: »

I would like to shift some weight around. I'd like to lose 10 pounds of fat and gain 5 pounds of muscle. :)

Well, I'm a guy, 38 years old, I lift heavy for 12 hours a week, and it took me two years to lose 20ish lbs of fat and gain 20ish lbs of muscle. I also eat a lot of calories at maintenance which in turn means I eat a lot of protein. I also take creatine Monohydrate.
  • heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    Options
    I'm interested in recomp and have a body fat scale. It says I am 22.9% F and 61.2% W and 32.7% M I am assuming that those are fat and water percentages. What do the M % abbreviation and 3.4% B abbreviations stand for? Why does the total come to over 100% ? (120.2%)

Edited typo

Also - since everything besides LBM is calculated or estimated (fat doesn't contain much water, hence it's ability to contain lots of energy in small package) - water and muscle and bone density % should be taken with even a bigger grain of salt than the one taken for the figures in the first place.

And those big grains of salt just increased the water % I think. :p
  • DebSozo
    Options
    I guess I will have to see what happens. Even if I lose 6 pounds of fat and gain 1 pound of muscle that can be a start. I don't want to be unrealistic
  • Hornsby
    Options
    The quickest way to gain 10lbs of muscle is to lose 10lbs of fat :)
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options
    I guess I will have to see what happens. Even if I lose 6 pounds of fat and gain 1 pound of muscle that can be a start. I don't want to be unrealistic

Impossible to know what rate you can gain muscle until you do it unfortunately - far too many variables.
    Your age and gender is against you doing it quickly of course.

Would recommend training hard, keeping your protein up and having a tiny deficit.
    Be patient but keep tracking your progress with tape measure and photos as well as your BIA device.

And enjoy the ride! It's important to enjoy the process as well as the results.

• tigerblue
    tigerblue Posts: 1,525 Member
    Options
    sijomial wrote: »

This is what I am struggling with right now. Progress is agonizingly slow, and hard to track, and I have yet to find a way to enjoy lifting. It is something else on my to-do list! I do, however, enjoy different forms of cardio (swimming, walking, running, biking--when I have a working bike). But I can without a doubt attest to the fact that cardio alone won't do it--at least not after a "certain age"! Sigh.

• DebSozo
    Options

Impossible to know what rate you can gain muscle until you do it unfortunately - far too many variables.
    Your age and gender is against you doing it quickly...

I know! Thanks for rubbing it in. Lol. :#
  • JessicaMcB
    JessicaMcB Posts: 1,503 Member
    Options
    So a question I have re: recomposition! I'm 5'9", CW 139, GW 130, running six days a week (working towards about 60k a week) training for a series of races I have this next year. I have been reading Strong Curves with the intention of working on recomp in August or September but I've had a few people I know outside of MFP who lift heavy who have suggested that my fitness goals re: running will work against my ability to recomp and that I basically have to choose one or the other. Truth to this? I'm not willing to drop something I love for something I'm basically only looking into to drop BF% ykwim?
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,575 Member
    Options
    tigerblue wrote: »

This is what I am struggling with right now. Progress is agonizingly slow, and hard to track, and I have yet to find a way to enjoy lifting. It is something else on my to-do list! I do, however, enjoy different forms of cardio (swimming, walking, running, biking--when I have a working bike). But I can without a doubt attest to the fact that cardio alone won't do it--at least not after a "certain age"! Sigh.

What is it about lifting you don't like? What is your program? If you're doing a strength program you could always switch to a more hypertrophy/higher rep rep program, or a nice hybrid of the two, or bodyweight work. You could try resistance bands, new lifts in general...
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    JessicaMcB wrote: »
    So a question I have re: recomposition! I'm 5'9", CW 139, GW 130, running six days a week (working towards about 60k a week) training for a series of races I have this next year. I have been reading Strong Curves with the intention of working on recomp in August or September but I've had a few people I know outside of MFP who lift heavy who have suggested that my fitness goals re: running will work against my ability to recomp and that I basically have to choose one or the other. Truth to this? I'm not willing to drop something I love for something I'm basically only looking into to drop BF% ykwim?

No, it's not true.
  • robertw486
    robertw486 Posts: 2,388 Member
    Options

Most of the people telling you that you have to pick one or the other just don't like one or the other, and so they spread stuff like that.
  • JessicaMcB
    JessicaMcB Posts: 1,503 Member
    Options
    robertw486 wrote: »

Most of the people telling you that you have to pick one or the other just don't like one or the other, and so they spread stuff like that.

Thank you, that was kind of my feeling but I also 100% recognize that I am not a fitness expert of any kind so I figured I'd ask. I couldn't see why it wouldn't work to cross-train especially since lifting doesn't burn that many calories in comparison. On to Strong Curves it is!
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,389 MFP Moderator
    Options
    robertw486 wrote: »

Thank you, that was kind of my feeling but I also 100% recognize that I am not a fitness expert of any kind so I figured I'd ask. I couldn't see why it wouldn't work to cross-train especially since lifting doesn't burn that many calories in comparison. On to Strong Curves it is!

The bigger thing is keeping up with calories and adequate macronutrients to support your goals. To be honest, i would be impressed it you can run 6 days a week and still lift big.