Recomposition: Maintaining weight while losing fat

Options

Replies

• sunflowerhippi
    sunflowerhippi Posts: 1,086 Member
    Options
    jerb00 wrote: »
    So, after looking at the image link for body fat images - what if you don't fit? My top half is very definitely in the lower fat category while my bottom half is in the one above. Does it make a difference?

I am similar. Very pear shaped and carry fat all in my lower body. I use a few methods then averagre them out.

A user, haybails or something similar made a google doc that uses messurments and calipers and such to give you an idea. I found this to be best vs pictures and guess becuase we also are our own worst critics.
  • DebSozo
    DebSozo Posts: 2,578 Member
    Options
    jerb00 wrote: »
    So, after looking at the image link for body fat images - what if you don't fit? My top half is very definitely in the lower fat category while my bottom half is in the one above. Does it make a difference?

I am similar. Very pear shaped and carry fat all in my lower body. I use a few methods then averagre them out.

A user, haybails or something similar made a google doc that uses messurments and calipers and such to give you an idea. I found this to be best vs pictures and guess becuase we also are our own worst critics.

They use models with pretty good proportions in the % fat photos also.

I would like to see the calipers guide. Amazon sells calipers for about $7 as an add on. I might order one so I can confirm what the online % bf photos show.
  • heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    Options
    Calipers in the hands of a trained experienced person can get to within 5% accuracy using 7-site method, if presented with a properly hydrated body, meaning average level.

In the hands of consumer buying the calipers with the common 2-3 site calc that is given in paperwork - well, if you are actually within 5%, I'd suggest go buy lottery tickets too.

Unlike measurements that can be pretty static location (minimum girth, belly button, maximum girth, ect), unless you get good, you can easily pick a spot slightly different and get very different mm readings, even when doing the 3 measurements on 1 site to get an average.

I wouldn't use it by itself - but combined with measurement method, throwing the BIA scale in there too, could at least let you see the potential range of accuracy and average, and then watch those change over time.

It's picking that good time for all measurements to minimize expected known water weight fluctuations. So daily doesn't work.
    Morning after rest day eating normal sodium levels, not sore from last workout.
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,389 MFP Moderator
    Options
    heybales wrote: »
    Calipers in the hands of a trained experienced person can get to within 5% accuracy using 7-site method, if presented with a properly hydrated body, meaning average level.

In the hands of consumer buying the calipers with the common 2-3 site calc that is given in paperwork - well, if you are actually within 5%, I'd suggest go buy lottery tickets too.

Unlike measurements that can be pretty static location (minimum girth, belly button, maximum girth, ect), unless you get good, you can easily pick a spot slightly different and get very different mm readings, even when doing the 3 measurements on 1 site to get an average.

I wouldn't use it by itself - but combined with measurement method, throwing the BIA scale in there too, could at least let you see the potential range of accuracy and average, and then watch those change over time.

It's picking that good time for all measurements to minimize expected known water weight fluctuations. So daily doesn't work.
    Morning after rest day eating normal sodium levels, not sore from last workout.

I use the the parillo caliper method (9-sites). I don't record an area unless I get 3 consistent readings. After each reading, I release the skin and re-pinch. And even though it might be exactly accurate, I believe it has served me well. Below is the calculation tool I use, too.

http://www.linear-software.com/online.html
  • KetoneKaren
    KetoneKaren Posts: 6,411 Member
    Options
    @DebSozo I wonder if there is a better place for postmenopausal females who are trying to recomp can post. Do you know of one? My modest victories don't seem to have a place on this thread, but I would love to find a thread that woud provide some support for people like me who cannot expect to add a lb of muscle a month while losing fat. If I add a lb of muscle a quarter while losing fat, I will consider that a win. So far I have lost 21lbs of fat and have maintained muscle mass - no significant gain in muscle mass, but no loss since I started in April.
  • DebSozo
    Options
    @DebSozo I wonder if there is a better place for postmenopausal females who are trying to recomp can post. Do you know of one? My modest victories don't seem to have a place on this thread, but I would love to find a thread that woud provide some support for people like me who cannot expect to add a lb of muscle a month while losing fat. If I add a lb of muscle a quarter while losing fat, I will consider that a win. So far I have lost 21lbs of fat and have maintained muscle mass - no significant gain in muscle mass, but no loss since I started in April.

I don't mind this thread. It has been helpful. I haven't tried recomp but figure I'll give it a try. It can only help.
  • DebSozo
    Options
    Karen, it sounds like you are doing well.
  • Hornsby
    Hornsby Posts: 10,322 Member
    Options

If you are losing fat and maintaining LBM, you are just "losing weight" and doing it the right way. There are plenty of threads for that I would think ;) based on what forum we are on.
  • KetoneKaren
    Options
    @DebSozo Thanks! It sounds as if you have already done well and are ready for the next phase of your venture! Two weeks ago I started one of Pavel's beginner kettlebell routines in addition to the 5 weekly Jazzercise classes I've been doing for years. You may be familiar already, but Jazzercise is underestimated by many, and includes cardio and resistance training. It is as challenging as you want to make it. As to the kettlebells, I will increase the kettlebell weight every 5 weeks, and after 10-15 weeks I may start doing some Stronglifts routines. I plan on going slow to focus on form and avoiding injury. If anyone does know of a more appropriate thread for someone like me to get some help & encouragement, I am all ears.
  • DebSozo
    Options
    @DebSozo Thanks! It sounds as if you have already done well and are ready for the next phase of your venture! Two weeks ago I started one of Pavel's beginner kettlebell routines in addition to the 5 weekly Jazzercise classes I've been doing for years. You may be familiar already, but Jazzercise is underestimated by many, and includes cardio and resistance training. It is as challenging as you want to make it. As to the kettlebells, I will increase the kettlebell weight every 5 weeks, and after 10-15 weeks I may start doing some Stronglifts routines. I plan on going slow to focus on form and avoiding injury. If anyone does know of a more appropriate thread for someone like me to get some help & encouragement, I am all ears.

Maybe you could start one!!!! :)
  • DebSozo
    edited July 2016
    Options
    I've done fairly well and just need some tweaking. I figure if I start recomp now I can change my body shape a bit.
  • taco_inspector
    taco_inspector Posts: 7,223 Member
    Options
    ... I wonder if there is a better place for postmenopausal females who are trying to recomp can post. ...
    ... If anyone does know of a more appropriate thread for someone like me to get some help & encouragement, I am all ears.
    @KetoneKaren There are > 2500 members posting in this group ---> http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/group/506-near-or-post-menopausal-group (I can't vouch for recomp content there, but it is a fairly active group and may offer some insight)

• KetoneKaren
    Options
    Thank you so much!
  • Hornsby
    Options
    @KetoneKaren just curious, why do you feel this thread isn't appropriate for you? I don't get it.
  • robininfl
    robininfl Posts: 1,137 Member
    Options

I agree on Jazzercise. 40 minutes of aerobic dance and then light strength and stretching with 5-10lb weights, pushups, situps, etc. The instructors are trained and audited, and the routines are standardized so the quality is reliable wherever you go. Always given low impact versions and high impact versions of each routine. The classes I was in, nobody is pushy, it's friendly and accepting but not cultish. I absolutely enjoyed Jazzercise.

Also just the mental release of dancing - having to pay attention to the movements, feeling the music. It's a very silly sort of dancing but still feels so good.

I lost 20lb without even noticing it, doing Jazzercise. After my fourth baby. Didn't diet, wasn't really aiming to lose weight, the body just came around, form following function.

Hands down my favorite sort of cardio workout. I wish there was a good studio near me now.
  • KetoneKaren
    Options
    Hornsby wrote: »
    @KetoneKaren just curious, why do you feel this thread isn't appropriate for you? I don't get it.

This experience: http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10407615/disadvantages-of-keto-diet/p11
  • Hornsby
    Options
    Hornsby wrote: »

This experience: http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10407615/disadvantages-of-keto-diet/p11

I'm confused...that's a different thread and has nothing to do with "recomping".
  • KetoneKaren
    Options
    @Hornsby HornsbyHornsby
    KetoneKaren wrote: »
    » show previous quotes

You are probably correct, although not kind in the way you word your response. There is undoubtedly some margin of error, but my doctor is board certified in internal medicine, endocrinology, and nonsurgical bariatrics and has sophisticated means of measuring body composition. Whether I have gained a few ounces or lost a few ounces of muscle is neither here nor there. The point is that I am managing to preserve muscle, for the most part, while losing fat. I am proud of that and there is no need to ridicule my progress.

Edited to correct typo.

Not sure why the wording bothered you. The only way to measure to that level of accuracy would be through autopsy. That's just a fact. Since you are alive and hopefully won't be dead anytime soon...:. a vivisection would literally be the only way to measure that small of a gain with any reasonable accuracy.
  • sunnybeaches105
    sunnybeaches105 Posts: 2,831 Member
    Options
    So accurate information is offensive?
  • KetoneKaren
    Options
    KetoneKaren wrote: »
    @Hornsby The reason the wording bothered me is because he honed in on the "4oz" piece rather than the fact that I have lost 21 lbs of fat and managed to preserve muscle mass, even allowing for a margin of error inherent in all measuring devices short of autopsy. Throwing out the baby with the bathwater. I felt dismissed.

I see. Well, I assumed you were replying in regards to the muscle gain discussion that was going on when you posted. I assume @FunkyTobias was thinking the same thing. Making that really the only thing worth discussing/rebutting. Whether the numbers are accurate or not doesn't change the fact that you are having great progress.