Recomposition: Maintaining weight while losing fat

Replies

• Hornsby
    Hornsby Posts: 10,322 Member
    @Hornsby HornsbyHornsby
    KetoneKaren wrote: »
    » show previous quotes

You are probably correct, although not kind in the way you word your response. There is undoubtedly some margin of error, but my doctor is board certified in internal medicine, endocrinology, and nonsurgical bariatrics and has sophisticated means of measuring body composition. Whether I have gained a few ounces or lost a few ounces of muscle is neither here nor there. The point is that I am managing to preserve muscle, for the most part, while losing fat. I am proud of that and there is no need to ridicule my progress.

Edited to correct typo.

Not sure why the wording bothered you. The only way to measure to that level of accuracy would be through autopsy. That's just a fact. Since you are alive and hopefully won't be dead anytime soon...:. a vivisection would literally be the only way to measure that small of a gain with any reasonable accuracy.

Again, I'm not seeing the relevance or point. Not sure what I am missing here.
  • KetoneKaren
    KetoneKaren Posts: 6,411 Member
  • DebSozo
    DebSozo Posts: 2,578 Member

Don't take it personally, Karen. Not everyone will "get" how hard it is unless they live it. No worries.
  • KetoneKaren
    @DebSozo I honestly do not understand the necessity of this type of response. I am interested in losing fat and gaining muscle. I am interested in accurate information and constructive feedback from other people who are similar to me. And I know I won't be able to gain the same amount of muscle as many younger and/or male recompers. I don't wish to be irritating to those with loftier goals and who have more potential to gain muscle. I don't know why that invites negative responses.
  • DebSozo
    @DebSozo I honestly do not understand the necessity of this type of response. I am interested in losing fat and gaining muscle. I am interested in accurate information and constructive feedback from other people who are similar to me. And I know I won't be able to gain the same amount of muscle as many younger and/or male recompers. I don't wish to be irritating to those with loftier goals and who have more potential to gain muscle. I don't know why that invites negative responses.

Do you mean my reponse? I'm trying to empathize :o
  • DebSozo
    Yaay for younger and loftier. I don't really compare myself. I'm in pretty good shape for my "age".
  • sunnybeaches105
    sunnybeaches105 Posts: 2,831 Member
    edited July 2016

The fact that you won't be able to gain as much muscle or gain as quickly as younger males doesn't invalidate the general recommendations for a high protein diet and strength training program, nor does it invalidate the point regarding measuring body fat. Good advice is good advice, and if you're looking for a group who have spent years lifting, losing fat. and building muscle mass you could do worse. Nobody cares that you're postmenopausal or a woman or older or however you want to put it. You can learn quite a bit here if you pay attention. It helped my wife through chemo, and it helped me. I'm probably a young 'en though as I'm in my mid 40s.
  • KetoneKaren
    DebSozo wrote: »

Do you mean my reponse? I'm trying to empathize :o

No, @DebSozo, not your response at all, I see how you could think that.

@Hornsby Apology accepted. If you are a successful re-comper and willing to help, I would like to keep coming back to this thread. I just don't want to waste anybody's time, and it isn't helpful to me to be mocked or baited. I don't really need character building at this stage of my life, just honest help and feedback. :)
  • Hornsby
    If you ask a question in here, it will get answered factually. I'm not into character building anyway. ;)
  • KetoneKaren
    @sunnybeaches105 I hope your wife's chemo was successful, and that she is doing well now. You are a young 'en...savor it!
  • sunnybeaches105
    sunnybeaches105 Posts: 2,831 Member
    @sunnybeaches105 I hope your wife's chemo was successful, and that she is doing well now. You are a young 'en...savor it!

Thanks. She's several years out already. Good luck on here and don't take constructive criticism as anything but that. Tone is very difficult on here, and I'm probably one of the worst at it.
  • KetoneKaren
    @sunnybeaches105 Forewarned is forearmed, I will remember that and not take offense. Thanks.
  • Hornsby
    usmcmp wrote: »
    Back on topic:

This thread is for anyone who is maintaining weight and hoping to add muscle while lowering body fat percentage. It doesn't matter if you're 18 or 80 years old. It's a place to exchange information on recomposition and share updates on things that are working for you as well as progress.

Sorry, teacher :(
  • usmcmp
    usmcmp Posts: 21,220 Member
    I haven't purposefully been doing a recomp, but I delayed cutting for almost a year now. There's not much to show in pictures since I did this at a relatively high body fat percentage. I'm hoping that the maintaining will help me keep the lean mass as I cut for a show.
  • DebSozo
    edited July 2016
    I am really new to recomp and will look forward to seeing what happens.
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    I guess I'll pop in to say that my progress so far with recomp is going well. I've switched from mostly low rep work to higher rep work. I am seeing more definition in my legs and slightly more in my arms. No progress pictures to share right now.

I have a DEXA scheduled for 7/27. I went ahead and paid for the double scan package. That will let me get one done now and one at a future date so that I can gauge my progress down the road.
  • usmcmp
    usmcmp Posts: 21,220 Member
    jemhh wrote: »
    I guess I'll pop in to say that my progress so far with recomp is going well. I've switched from mostly low rep work to higher rep work. I am seeing more definition in my legs and slightly more in my arms. No progress pictures to share right now.

I have a DEXA scheduled for 7/27. I went ahead and paid for the double scan package. That will let me get one done now and one at a future date so that I can gauge my progress down the road.

I look forward to hearing about your results on both! Hopefully that will give some food for thought to everyone.
  • DebSozo
    Karen, let's try recomp for a while and stay on this thread to learn. Maybe it can help us. B)