Recomposition: Maintaining weight while losing fat

Options

Replies

• coralred1965
    coralred1965 Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    Last year I set my calories at 1750. I didn't worry about sorting out my macros other than eating to that goal and adding extra protein in my diet via shakes and bars.
    Fast forward to now and mfp has me at calories at 1470 maintenance. My macros are 30% protein at 110g, 40% carbs at 147g and 30% fat at 49g.
    I always hit my protein target give or take 5g here or there. The fats and carbs are a bit hit or miss. Normally ending up with eating too many carbs and not enough fats, which Im sorting out this week.
    I'm thinking of slowly upping the calories mpf has give me for maintenance as some days it's not enough. I've stuck to this 90% of the time.
  • leajas1
    leajas1 Posts: 823 Member
    Options
    Thank you @bioklutz , @sardelsa , @jessiefrancine !

There is more fat(mainly around my upper thighs), but my point was that we are too hard on ourselves most of the time. Sometimes we need to step back and take an objective look. And if I really can't tell much of a difference between photos, then I should be nicer to myself. Same for all the lovely ladies and gents struggling with maintenance and weight fluctuations. I keep going back to the 'Lean People Trying to Get Leaner' thread and reminding myself that my mental/physical health and family relations are more important than a couple % points of BF. I'd rather have a little more of a fluffy butt (that no one other than me can really see) than go back being obsessive about logging and planning every bite that went into my mouth. Not that there is anything wrong with logging, but I'm happier now without it.

I needed to read this today @mom23mangos, thank you!
  • J72FIT
    J72FIT Posts: 5,948 Member
    Options
    leajas1 wrote: »
    Thank you @bioklutz , @sardelsa , @jessiefrancine !

There is more fat(mainly around my upper thighs), but my point was that we are too hard on ourselves most of the time. Sometimes we need to step back and take an objective look. And if I really can't tell much of a difference between photos, then I should be nicer to myself. Same for all the lovely ladies and gents struggling with maintenance and weight fluctuations. I keep going back to the 'Lean People Trying to Get Leaner' thread and reminding myself that my mental/physical health and family relations are more important than a couple % points of BF. I'd rather have a little more of a fluffy butt (that no one other than me can really see) than go back being obsessive about logging and planning every bite that went into my mouth. Not that there is anything wrong with logging, but I'm happier now without it.

I needed to read this today @mom23mangos, thank you!

+1
  • loulamb7
    loulamb7 Posts: 801 Member
    Options
    now and mfp has me at calories at 1470 maintenance.

You are aware that this calorie estimate does not include exercise?
  • coralred1965
    Options
    Yes I didnt bother adding my calories back. It's a bit difficult to calculate lifting. I've not lost weight or gained either way.
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options
    Yes I didnt bother adding my calories back. It's a bit difficult to calculate lifting. I've not lost weight or gained either way.

You can't calculate it but you can estimate it - log duration of your workout as "Strength training (weight lifting, weight training)" in the cardio section. It's based on your weight and METS.
  • AEC50
    AEC50 Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    I'm trying to decide if my goal weight is even worth getting to. I'm 34, 140ish and 5'7 and recently lost 35 pounds. I've had a goal of 130 in mind because that was my pre-babies weight and I looked amazing. That was all diet and cardio. My most recent loss had been due to diet and lifting, so I'm thinking a recomp would help with my goal of leaning out.

Any advice?
  • kendallnick70
    kendallnick70 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Has anyone had difficulty finding their maintenance calories when starting a recomp? I am a 5'10" 20 year old female and since the beginning of the year I have lost 20lbs and now weigh 145lbs. I lift heavy 4 days a week, have 1 active recovery day, and walk anywhere from 15,000-30,000 steps a day.

My Fitbit consistently puts my calories burned per day at 2500-3400 calories depending on whether it was a good or bad step day. I went with the lower side of 2500 for my maintenance since I know my Fitbit can have some inaccuracies. I have even done several calorie calculators and they have all consistently put my maintenance at 2400-2800.

I have even been eating in a slight deficit around 2300 calories a day, sometimes a little more if my calories burned is up near 3000. However, even being in what I thought was a slight deficit from maintenance I have only gained weight. I'm talking 145 -> 151. I thought the goal of a recomp was to lose fat while gaining muscle allowing the body to stay very close to the same weight. This initial weight gain is extremely frustrating and I do not want to continue on this trend. Please help!
  • stanmann571
    stanmann571 Posts: 5,728 Member
    Options
    Has anyone had difficulty finding their maintenance calories when starting a recomp? I am a 5'10" 20 year old female and since the beginning of the year I have lost 20lbs and now weigh 145lbs. I lift heavy 4 days a week, have 1 active recovery day, and walk anywhere from 15,000-30,000 steps a day.

My Fitbit consistently puts my calories burned per day at 2500-3400 calories depending on whether it was a good or bad step day. I went with the lower side of 2500 for my maintenance since I know my Fitbit can have some inaccuracies. I have even done several calorie calculators and they have all consistently put my maintenance at 2400-2800.

I have even been eating in a slight deficit around 2300 calories a day, sometimes a little more if my calories burned is up near 3000. However, even being in what I thought was a slight deficit from maintenance I have only gained weight. I'm talking 145 -> 151. I thought the goal of a recomp was to lose fat while gaining muscle allowing the body to stay very close to the same weight. This initial weight gain is extremely frustrating and I do not want to continue on this trend. Please help!

6 pounds is a bit much, but 2-3% of BW swing is what maintenance means.

If your target weight is 145 then 141-149 should be considered "very close to the same weight" especially if you've recently started a new or more intense program.
  • heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    edited July 2017
    Options
    When going from diet to maintenance, the initial big water weight loss going into a diet is somewhat gained back - some is water attached to stored glucose in muscles.
    And your muscles have more of a need for that now - so body improvement is store more now.

Increased water weight! LBM - good job.

Also - you correcting the Fitbit for all that lifting you do?
    If it's using HR-based calorie burn - it's inflated. HR-based formula for calories is only potentially valid for steady-state aerobic - which lifting should be totally opposite from.

Log as Weights in Fitbit for same chunk of time to replace what Fitbit came up with.
    It's smaller, but correct.

So could also have inaccuracies on the food logging side, and actually eating more than you think.

Also, don't be tied to the scale, certainly not a static single number. You'll drive yourself batty through the course of a month as your metabolism will change, and hormone water weight changes.
    Have a range, and measure your waist to see if any actual changes.
  • kendallnick70
    kendallnick70 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    heybales wrote: »
    When going from diet to maintenance, the initial big water weight loss going into a diet is somewhat gained back - some is water attached to stored glucose in muscles.
    And your muscles have more of a need for that now - so body improvement is store more now.

Increased water weight! LBM - good job.

Also - you correcting the Fitbit for all that lifting you do?
    If it's using HR-based calorie burn - it's inflated. HR-based formula for calories is only potentially valid for steady-state aerobic - which lifting should be totally opposite from.

Log as Weights in Fitbit for same chunk of time to replace what Fitbit came up with.
    It's smaller, but correct.

So could also have inaccuracies on the food logging side, and actually eating more than you think.

Also, don't be tied to the scale, certainly not a static single number. You'll drive yourself batty through the course of a month as your metabolism will change, and hormone water weight changes.
    Have a range, and measure your waist to see if any actual changes.

I use the Fitbit Alta so it seems as if the calories burned is almost solely based off of my steps. I have noticed that even during 1-2hr weight lifting sessions it doesn't say I'm burning very many calories since it doesn't feel me moving around like I am when I am walking. I have taken it to be somewhat accurate since it seems to be based mostly off of the steps I know I'm really getting in and my body weight and age.
  • heybales
    Options
    That is badly underestimated then - because you are burning a whole lot more than BMR sleeping level burn.

Same thing - should manually log it.

Keep things accurate where you can, adjust when it's not known.

Attempting to balance once inaccuracy with another or observed effects can just lead to confusion when things change.

Like it could be your walking stride length is off enough that you get inflated daily activity calories.
    It should be set to daily average pace length, not exercise extreme, not grocery store shuffle extreme.
  • gothchiq
    gothchiq Posts: 4,598 Member
    Options
    arditarose wrote: »
    Hornsby wrote: »
    jacksonpt wrote: »
    For those of you have have done significant recomps... can you talk a bit about progress over time? Specifically things like how you evaluated your progress, when you saw changes in how clothes fit, when you saw changes in how you looked in the mirror, etc.

When bulking or cutting, once you get past the initial learning curve phase, progress is fairly easy to track/see. That's not as much the case with recomping, and that can be a challenge mentally/emotionally for many. It might be good for people to see others' experiences with this so they have some context for what to expect (or not to expect).

To be 100% honest, I track through the veins. The more veins that show, the leaner I am getting. I think that's correct as I am not sure why else they would show. I am pretty vascular to begin with.

When I first started recomping, I had 0 veins showing anywhere. First the under forearms came, then the outer forearms and calves. Then the biceps and shoulder and thighs. Next stop...abs. That combine with measurements kinda told me what is happening. It can be a bit of a mind f*** though when the scale doesn't move all that much.

Okay...so this is interesting. I know I'm not very lean but I'm starting to see some veins I have not seen before. Mostly around my lower abdomen/bikini area and forearms.

Anyway, I've only been at it for 4-6 weeks and have obviously not much to show. My biggest struggle right now is trying to eat as much as possible without gaining.

You have transformed amazingly over time. I'm impressed.
  • Hamsibian
    Hamsibian Posts: 1,388 Member
    Options
    I read this entire thread in a week. I am trying to gain weight, so it's different than most people who posted on here. I am far from my goal at 140lbs, but i know my body would not be able to go through a bulk and cut cycle, so this information is helpful! I will keep lurking and halt of the questions til i am closer to recomp.
  • melissamtz90
    melissamtz90 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I'm at the weight I want to be and now just want to tone up. I'm pretty much new to all this so what do you guys recommend? I've being doing elliptical 3 times a week for 30 minutes or so but I have begun to notice my backside is slimming down way too much. I recently started weights for my biceps (5 lbs) and do squats with the bar.
  • coralred1965
    Options
    melissamtz90.
    Try a weight lifting programme like Stronglifts 5x5.
    Something with progressive overload. And incorporate Glute exercises like barbell Glute bridges.
    I don't do too much cardio. I just do 2x20 to 30minute swim sessions twice a week as I dont want to loose weight either.
  • reyoflightphoto
    reyoflightphoto Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    usmcmp wrote: »
    3bambi3 wrote: »
    2. Recomp is mentally tough to see no scale change and no real visible changes from week to week. You'll feel like you are making no progress. Measuring is important.

I can certainly attest to this. This thread has made me feel a little more hopeful about it though. I HATE cutting and I don't ever want to do it again. I was down to 138lbs and then I did a bulk cycle last year. I tried to cut after and just wasn't in the mood. I was so frustrated with myself. Yes my PR's went up, but I don't really care about that. I care mostly about my health and cutting and bulking just seems unnatural.
    My gut says to eat what I am meant to eat and just work out. I have a bad feeling about eating more food than my body needs and then eating less food than it needs. That seems like cruel and unusual punishment.
    My weight is at 144 now. I am eating at a very slight deficit now (500 cal per week) and that seems to be the way to go. I would rather just try to focus on making my food intake and workouts be as habitual as brushing my teeth so I can focus on more important things that I enjoy doing.
    I think recomp is for people who do not enjoy building big, impressive, awesome body as a hobby, but just want to tone up and be healthy. If the goal is to look and feel great eventually, while creating healthy eating habits recomp is good. If it's to break PR's and look drastically different sooner than later than recomp is not the way. It all depends on those goals.
  • aubyshortcake
    aubyshortcake Posts: 796 Member
    edited July 2017
    Options
    Hi all! After way too much time off from any sort of working out I've decided to start strong curves again. The last time I did it, a few years ago, I was in a deficit and not eating nearly enough. This time I'd like to try to recomp for the first time.

My question is.. Should I eat right at maintenance or slightly under since I have a little flab I'd like to get rid of?

I am a restaurant server and probably get an average of 10k steps a day (based on my phone that I keep in my apron at work). I'm 5' 3" with a small frame and weigh around 113 with not a lot of muscle but a decent amount of excess fat. I was going to try starting at 1750 cals a day.. Does that sounds about right or would that be a little on the low side since I'll be doing strong curves as well?

Ultimate goal is to build muscle but especially glutes, lose fat and eventually look slim but kind of ripped if that makes sense haha..I just want to make sure this plan will put me on the right track.
  • BeccaLoves2lift
    BeccaLoves2lift Posts: 375 Member
    Options
    Hi all! After way too much time off from any sort of working out I've decided to start strong curves again. The last time I did it, a few years ago, I was in a deficit and not eating nearly enough. This time I'd like to try to recomp for the first time.

My question is.. Should I eat right at maintenance or slightly under since I have a little flab I'd like to get rid of?

I am a restaurant server and probably get an average of 10k steps a day (based on my phone that I keep in my apron at work). I'm 5' 3" with a small frame and weigh around 113 with not a lot of muscle but a decent amount of excess fat. I was going to try starting at 1750 cals a day.. Does that sounds about right or would that be a little on the low side since I'll be doing strong curves as well?

Ultimate goal is to build muscle but especially glutes, lose fat and eventually look slim but kind of ripped if that makes sense haha..I just want to make sure this plan will put me on the right track.

I'm 5'2" 115 lbs and my tdee calculator gives me 1700 for maintenance and I don't think I'm as active as you. I haven't started eating at maintenance yet so I can't say how accurate it is.
  • heybales
    Options

Just TDEE Please spreadsheet - better than rough 5 level TDEE charts.
    https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1G7FgNzPq3v5WMjDtH0n93LXSMRY_hjmzNTMJb3aZSxM/edit?usp=sharing

Depending on how frequent and duration of those workouts - depends - could be close, probably low.

250 cal deficit while you start back up not bad idea if excess fat available to lose.

Betty pretty soon you'll want the energy for good workouts and need to lose the deficit.