Replies

• raelynnsmama52512
    raelynnsmama52512 Posts: 1,184 Member
    Options
    Alidecker wrote: »
    snikkins wrote: »
    Emilia777 wrote: »
    Emilia777 wrote: »
    Mmm I am more of a Lucky Charms girl myself. But yeah, what a load of nonsense - no food is “garbage". Nothing wrong with cereal and I love having a bowl as a snack. Sheesh.

This post just made me want Lucky Charms. :p

Sorry not sorry? They’re so good, right? And fun! I love the colourful marshmallow bits! They just make me smile. :blush:

The trick is to get as many marshmallows as possible to "fall" into your bowl. They should take a note from Cap'n Crunch and do an "Oops all marshmallows" version. Let's just be honest about why we're eating it :D lol!

My freshman year of college, I invited some friends to the dining hall because I had too many meals left for the semester. One of them goes, "Ooooooh yeah. I've been waiting my entire life to do this." and proceeds to get a bowl of Lucky Charms, pick out the non-marshmallows, and eat only the marshmallows. He got maybe two-thirds of the way through and says, "Ugh. I think I'm going to be sick. I now totally get why my parents would never let me do this." Good times!

I am retroactively dedicating the two servings of Captain Crunch w/Crunch Berries I had for breakfast to this post.

A girl in my dorm used to just eat the marshmallows on a daily basis. It was entertaining to watch her pick through the cereal, she really went at that bowl.

My daughter did that, now we just don't buy lucky charms anymore. I got tired of throwing soggy non-marshmallow cereal away, but I'm cheap like that lol. :wink:
  • GBrady43068
    GBrady43068 Posts: 1,256 Member
    Options
    jacksonpt wrote: »
    kalbo798 wrote: »
    It's funny how the answer to these garbage foods with little to no redeeming nutritive value is always moderation. Well gee, if 70% of the country is overweight or obese obviously the moderation message isn't reaching the masses. The solution to avoiding addictive garbage isn't not to buy it. No that's far to simple. The solution then, according to MFP users, is to ingest garbage in smaller increments, that way everything will work out just fine!

Why can't both be viable options with the individual person making the decision for themselves?

If 70% of the population is overweight, then apparently NO message is reaching the masses. At least not any message pertaining to heath, diet, exercise, etc. Or maybe they just don't care enough to make the sacrifices.

^This.

I think the percentage of people who "don't know" that you have to watch your caloric intake and balance it with exercise is tiny. The amount of people who choose to ignore that, eat however much tickles their fancy of what they want, and then spend large amounts of time parked on their butt on the Internet or the boob tube is large. It wasn't that I was unaware of how to lose weight before I joined MFP...I just didn't care enough to make the sacrifices. A lifestyle change is what has to happen...most people will never make one.

*hats off to those here who are doing something*

Oh and Froot Loops is not what was killing me...lack of self-control and exercise was what was killing me. :P
  • glassyo
    glassyo Posts: 7,653 Member
    Options
    It almost killed me to finish off a box of the lower sugar version of Froot Loops. Sooooooo not the same.
  • 3bambi3
    3bambi3 Posts: 1,650 Member
    Options
    glassyo wrote: »
    It almost killed me to finish off a box of the lower sugar version of Froot Loops. Sooooooo not the same.

They make a lower sugar version? That is the embodiment of sadness.
  • Cryptonomnomicon
    Cryptonomnomicon Posts: 848 Member
    Options
    p3u0ISY.jpg
  • bigislandgrrl
    bigislandgrrl Posts: 196 Member
    Options
    Oh no!!!!!!!!!!! GMOs, Global Warming, er cooling, er change and the sky is friggin falling!!!!
  • glassyo
    Options
    3bambi3 wrote: »

They make a lower sugar version? That is the embodiment of sadness.

LOL yeah. It was something like 1/3 less sugar. And that sadness was shared with Frosted Flakes too. Actually the Frosted Flakes weren't that bad.

I don't know if either are still around tho...

• mbaker566
    mbaker566 Posts: 11,233 Member
    edited June 2015
    Options
    I can't be a responsible adult when it comes to sugary cereal. I can't just eat one bowl.

So I don't buy it. It doesn't have any nutrition in it, so I don't buy it for the kiddos either. I occasionally buy the single serve ones as a treat, but that is all.

While we're on the subject has anyone here tried the cereal with the chocolate inside it? I can't be an adult at all with that in the house. Yummy

krave is so good

I too have issues just eating one serving of any sugar cereal, let alone one bowl. So very delicious
  • wizzybeth
    wizzybeth Posts: 3,578 Member
    Options
    Remember when cereals were PROUD of being mostly sugar?

366_8971_ucp.jpg

creepyfingclown.jpg

304041063_8a2abb9936.jpg

tumblr_mu9ltipj2c1sb2ue8o1_500.jpg

image.jpg

$(KGrHqJ,!iIE69YSd)H-BOwFuN)RGw~~60_35.JPG

WTH is it with the creepy clowns? Scaring kids out of breakfast???

• raelynnsmama52512
    Options
    wizzybeth wrote: »
    Remember when cereals were PROUD of being mostly sugar?

366_8971_ucp.jpg

creepyfingclown.jpg

304041063_8a2abb9936.jpg

tumblr_mu9ltipj2c1sb2ue8o1_500.jpg

image.jpg

$(KGrHqJ,!iIE69YSd)H-BOwFuN)RGw~~60_35.JPG

WTH is it with the creepy clowns? Scaring kids out of breakfast???

Thank you for scaring the ever loving *kitten* out of me! :fearful:
  • glassyo
    Options
    I want a Tony the Tiger stuffed toy. :(
  • peachyfuzzle
    peachyfuzzle Posts: 1,122 Member
    Options
    wizzybeth wrote: »
    evileen99 wrote: »
    The author is a "certified iridologist." Iridology is quack medicine/woo that believes you can tell about a person's health/illnesses by looking at their irises. Yeah, not going to believe anything she writes.

My parents were strong believers in iridologists. They went to see one faithfully, and of course he found things wrong, dark spots here, things there...you might have an issue with your lungs (genius...both were chain smokers and you could smell them a mile away). Here, buy these expensive herbs and crap, and lo and behold, a few months later, the "spots" were gone, (though dad continued to smoke and hack all day).... they were doing well, got an admonishment to stop smoking (didn't listen), here are some other herbs now to take instead to protect you from re occurrence of those spots on your lungs...(the herbs were magical my parents though, and would work as a counter to whatever damage the cigarettes might do. Not sure if the quack told them that or they made that up themselves)

Then mom was taken to the hospital - she had a brain tumor. Back to the iridologist they went, because they wouldn't HEAR of the radiation therapy the neurologist was suggesting. Iridologist gave her some crazy stuff, cost a couple hundred bucks. Part of the regimen included fresh carrot juice 3x a day, and hideous barley green 2x a day, among other pills she had to take. Mom and dad took this guy's word that she would get better. She died six weeks later.

I wanted to go back and ask the iridologist how come he found some "spots" on her lung but never saw the big old tumor in her brain until the neurologist found it. Had the quack not been nearly 2 hours away, I would have.

I hate iridologists.

This is the exact bullhonkey I think of when people say stuff like "well, what HARM IS IT DOING???"

This. This is the harm it is doing. People DIE from junk science, and woo.
  • WinoGelato
    WinoGelato Posts: 13,454 Member
    Options
    I read through that drivel and am shocked that I actually learned something.

I never noticed that it was "Froot" Loops not Fruit Loops.

Other than that I was just appalled at the baseless fear mongering and lack of credible scientific reasoning, as well that there are probably thousands of people who believe this nonsense.

Also, there's a little country store off I-70 in central Missouri that sells bags of just the marshmallows from Lucky Charms. I mean, they aren't the same shapes and colors but close enough that you wouldn't know the difference....
  • jeffpettis
    jeffpettis Posts: 865 Member
    Options
    Congratulations OP!!! You Win The Interwebz... for today.
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options
    jacksonpt wrote: »
    kalbo798 wrote: »
    It's funny how the answer to these garbage foods with little to no redeeming nutritive value is always moderation. Well gee, if 70% of the country is overweight or obese obviously the moderation message isn't reaching the masses. The solution to avoiding addictive garbage isn't not to buy it. No that's far to simple. The solution then, according to MFP users, is to ingest garbage in smaller increments, that way everything will work out just fine!

Why can't both be viable options with the individual person making the decision for themselves?

If 70% of the population is overweight, then apparently NO message is reaching the masses. At least not any message pertaining to heath, diet, exercise, etc. Or maybe they just don't care enough to make the sacrifices.

^This.

I think the percentage of people who "don't know" that you have to watch your caloric intake and balance it with exercise is tiny. The amount of people who choose to ignore that, eat however much tickles their fancy of what they want, and then spend large amounts of time parked on their butt on the Internet or the boob tube is large. It wasn't that I was unaware of how to lose weight before I joined MFP...I just didn't care enough to make the sacrifices. A lifestyle change is what has to happen...most people will never make one.

*hats off to those here who are doing something*

Oh and Froot Loops is not what was killing me...lack of self-control and exercise was what was killing me. :P

if 70% of people don't realize that overconsumption of calories + zero exercise = weight gain...then we truly are lost as a society and a species.
  • kami3006
    kami3006 Posts: 4,978 Member
    Options
    I wonder how many folks reading this thread are going out to buy some Froot Loops in the near future.
  • kami3006
    kami3006 Posts: 4,978 Member
    Options
    I want a Tony the Tiger stuffed toy. :(

wqnryxdmkaqt.jpg

• jessicatombari
    jessicatombari Posts: 159 Member
    Options
    fruit loops make people happy
  • raelynnsmama52512
    Options
    kami3006 wrote: »
    I wonder how many folks reading this thread are going out to buy some Froot Loops in the near future.

I may or may not be obtaining said cereal on or after 6/15, which is payday, if that counts. :innocent:
  • Ninkyou
    Ninkyou Posts: 6,666 Member
    Options
    I miss when cereal boxes had a toy in them. :(