How do I stop being "Skinny Fat?"

Options

Replies

• azulvioleta6
    azulvioleta6 Posts: 4,196 Member
    Options
    tomatoey wrote: »
    Also: most North American cities offer some kind of low-cost access to a gym. Like the YMCA. I think you would have to show some paperwork but their whole deal is access to fitness for everyone. Same for community centres. Ask!

I don't know that that is true...I've lived in a couple of places where the YMCA is the most expensive option in town. The last place that I lived where the Y was convenient, the fee was something like $60 a month and nobody asked about my income. However, lots of places (including YMCA) do have summer specials where you can take advantage of the facilities at a lower rate and without any kind of initiation fee. You could also look for a cheap chain gym like Planet Fitness--$10/month.

Also check out community colleges, community centers, parks and recreation, small fitness studios, etc. Unless you live in a very small town, there is likely some kind of affordable option somewhere.

They don't mention it, people have to ask for it. I looked into this for someone once. I think people have to show proof of income (or something about tax?) but the Y will almost assuredly do it.

Ok just checked - the magic words in Canada are "membership assistance" or "low income membership" or "financial assistance". I think you have to have below a certain set amount of income.

eg this one

http://www.ymcaofniagara.org/financial_aid.php

Good to know! It is always worth asking.

I have the impression (from spending time in Vancouver, BC) that Canadian YMCA/YWCA is much more flexible and oriented toward providing opportunities for the underserved than the ones I have been to on the West Coast of the US. Don't write them off, but they might not be the cheapest choice in some markets.
  • tomatoey
    tomatoey Posts: 5,459 Member
    Options
    Also: most North American cities offer some kind of low-cost access to a gym. Like the YMCA. I think you would have to show some paperwork but their whole deal is access to fitness for everyone. Same for community centres. Ask!

I don't know that that is true...I've lived in a couple of places where the YMCA is the most expensive option in town. The last place that I lived where the Y was convenient, the fee was something like $60 a month and nobody asked about my income. However, lots of places (including YMCA) do have summer specials where you can take advantage of the facilities at a lower rate and without any kind of initiation fee. You could also look for a cheap chain gym like Planet Fitness--$10/month.

Also check out community colleges, community centers, parks and recreation, small fitness studios, etc. Unless you live in a very small town, there is likely some kind of affordable option somewhere.

They don't mention it, people have to ask for it. I looked into this for someone once. I think people have to show proof of income (or something about tax?) but the Y will almost assuredly do it.

Ok just checked - the magic words in Canada are "membership assistance" or "low income membership" or "financial assistance". I think you have to have below a certain set amount of income.

eg this one

I have the impression (from spending time in Vancouver, BC) that Canadian YMCA/YWCA is much more flexible and oriented toward providing opportunities for the underserved than the ones I have been to on the West Coast of the US. Don't write them off, but they might not be the cheapest choice in some markets.

Ah yes, this is possible. Sorry if I was misleading!
  • MakePeasNotWar
    MakePeasNotWar Posts: 1,329 Member
    Options
    MaiLinna wrote: »
    Emilia777 wrote: »
    draznyth wrote: »
    on a tight budget yet follows a very restrictive diet

ahh first world problems

:D yeah, I was thinking that too…

Excuse me? Do you know how many meals I can make out of a $.99 bouillon pack and a $1.50 bag of spinach? Do you know what it's like to rely on ramen and your parents' addiction to fast food for 90% of your diet because your parents think vegetables "aren't real food?"

You guys are walkin a pretty tight line. You have no idea who I am or who I came from. First world problems my *kitten*.

Consider eating more beans and rice. I calculated it for another thread a while back and a cup of pinto beans, a cup of brown rice, and an 85g serving of frozen mixed vegetables (Walmart, Walmart, Costco bc Walmart doesn't publish produce prices online) came to 53 cents. 20+ grams of protein as well.
  • Orphia
    Orphia Posts: 7,097 Member
    Options
    I second guess myself a lot, and even after hours of research and myth debunking I'm still not sure I have the answers I need.

I'm 5'6", around 140 lbs last time I checked. I wear a medium in most clothes. I lost 25 lbs recently, and I'm happy to report I can wear a size 8 skinny jean for the first time since I was a teenybopper. However, I'm still not comfortable with the shape of my body. My breasts are small, and always have been. Any sort of excess weight looks really awkward on me because of that. My belly, which my boyfriend denies exists, hangs farther out than my breasts. My thighs are thick, my upper arms are floppy, and I have little love handles. I hate how bumpy and rolly my body is, but I have a 22.3 BMI, which is lower than my skinny boyfriend's 23 BMI, and he worries I'm going to starve myself trying to lose weight.

What should I do here? I don't want to go down to 1200 calories a day because I tried that before and it really didn't work. At the same time, I don't have as much weight to lose so now I need to eat less? I've already lost weight and so I'm not sure where to go from here.

TL:DR: Reached my goal, I'm at a healthy weight, but my body is gross. How do I fix it?

Are you sure you're not just a bit body dysmorphic?

Your BMI is lovely! I bet you look fantastic.

Stop stressing and just enjoy your new body. At your age, the flab will bounce back to tautness given a little time.

Stop worrying! Cheers.
  • Mr_Knight
    Mr_Knight Posts: 9,532 Member
    edited June 2015
    Options
    $20 a week....

Rice - 5 lbs for $2.5
    Lentils - 5 lbs for $8

That's about 1200 calories/day, 105 grams/day of complete protein, and nearly $10 left over for whatevers.

What's the problem?

Utter BS on the "poor people can't eat healthy" nonsense....
  • Hauntinglyfit
    Hauntinglyfit Posts: 5,537 Member
    edited June 2015
    Options
  • azulvioleta6
    azulvioleta6 Posts: 4,196 Member
    Options
    Mr_Knight wrote: »
    $20 a week....

Rice - 5 lbs for $2.5
    Lentils - 5 lbs for $8

That's about 1200 calories/day, 105 grams/day of complete protein, and nearly $10 left over for whatevers.

What's the problem?

It is possible to eat very well with a small food budget, but it takes planning, preparation, home cooking and lots of effort. Growing a garden helps too. Picking and preserving cheap food when it is available can extend your budget a ton.

Many people don't want to put in that kind of work.

At my poorest, when I really could not afford a gym of any kind, I got all of my exercise by planting a garden on some borrowed land. If you want to make it work, you will find a way. If you don't want to make it work, you will find excuses.
  • tomatoey
    Options
    $20 a week....

Rice - 5 lbs for $2.5
    Lentils - 5 lbs for $8

What's the problem?

It is possible to eat very well with a small food budget, but it takes planning, preparation, home cooking and lots of effort. Growing a garden helps too. Picking and preserving cheap food when it is available can extend your budget a ton.

Many people don't want to put in that kind of work.

At my poorest, when I really could not afford a gym of any kind, I got all of my exercise by planting a garden on some borrowed land. If you want to make it work, you will find a way. If you don't want to make it work, you will find excuses.

You're right, but the things you've mentioned require knowledge and experience. Not everyone has that; it could be daunting to some.
  • Mr_Knight
    edited June 2015
    Options
    How much experience is needed to boil rice and lentils? Through in a boullion cube and you're done, if you want to be.

• tomatoey
    edited June 2015
    Options
    How much experience is needed to boil rice and lentils? Through in a boullion cube and you're done, if you want to be.

Well, aside from the fact that I personally find those particular two items challenging (despite being great at making steaks, roasts, and stews), some knowledge. Maybe it is more than some people have.

OR maybe it all takes more energy than some people have. Especially if they're having a hard time in other ways.

But OP you can learn, if there are some gaps. And there are ways to work around not having a lot of energy or focus for this, if that's not there right now.
  • Mr_Knight
    Options
    If boiling rice and lentils meets any meaningful definition of "hard", our species would have gone extinct a long, long time ago.
  • tomatoey
    Options
    If boiling rice and lentils meets any meaningful definition of "hard", our species would have gone extinct a long, long time ago.

Hey look, those just aren't in my cooking vocab - rice is hard. I don't know why that is, but it is. For whatever reason, it's very sensitive to timing and to the temp on the stovetop (which varies from stove to stove, enough for me to learn for one stove and get completely screwed by another) and the whole thing also depends on the cookware. Not dissimilar for dry red lentils, they're fragile things.
  • tomatoey
    Options
    I can grill a steak with the best of them, though. fwiw.
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
    I'm only on page 2 and this thread has ALL the excuses

Too early to facepalm but I'll catch up
  • MaiLinna
    MaiLinna Posts: 580 Member
    Options
    tlflag1620 wrote: »

I wouldn't call it elitist. Chicken is the only meat I've been able to stomach my whole life. I've never liked eggs, and I'm lactose intolerant. :c I'm not 100% vegan though, it's just easier to tell people I'm vegan instead of saying vegetarian.
  • MaiLinna
    MaiLinna Posts: 580 Member
    Options
    $20 a week....

Rice - 5 lbs for $2.5
    Lentils - 5 lbs for $8

What's the problem?

Is eating a diet almost purely rice and beans "healthy" though?
    2lbs of cheap store brand rice is $2.25 with my store card.
    1lb of cheap store brand lentils with my card is almost the same. It was $2.45 last time I was in so uh...
  • Eudoxy
    Eudoxy Posts: 391 Member
    Options

eg this one

YMCA has sliding scale fees for low income. They also often will let people work for trade.

• Eudoxy
    Eudoxy Posts: 391 Member
    edited June 2015
    Options
    $20 a week....

Rice - 5 lbs for $2.5
    Lentils - 5 lbs for $8

What's the problem?

Is eating a diet almost purely rice and beans "healthy" though?
    2lbs of cheap store brand rice is $2.25 with my store card.
    1lb of cheap store brand lentils with my card is almost the same. It was $2.45 last time I was in so uh...

Yes, beans and rice are where it's at if you're a vegan.

Eta- no don't almost purely eat that, it would be a good staple for protein for you though.

• professionalHobbyist
    professionalHobbyist Posts: 1,316 Member
    Options
    You know when people say a calorie is a calorie and it does not matter much?

If you don't get enough protein in your diet you body takes it from your body

Muscle loss thru poor nutrition in dieting happens to some people.

You can eat a balanced diet with enough protein and lift heavy enough to put back that muscle. It will take time and work but you can do it.

Unless you have some Heath problems blocking you, this is something you can totally fix thru proper diet and exercise!

No need to worry or be satisfied with things as they are now.

Muscle Fitness website has some good info.

And you need enough rest to build muscle too!
  • stevencloser
    stevencloser Posts: 8,911 Member
    Options
    You know when people say a calorie is a calorie and it does not matter much?

If you don't get enough protein in your diet you body takes it from your body

Muscle loss thru poor nutrition in dieting happens to some people.

You can eat a balanced diet with enough protein and lift heavy enough to put back that muscle. It will take time and work but you can do it.

Unless you have some Heath problems blocking you, this is something you can totally fix thru proper diet and exercise!

No need to worry or be satisfied with things as they are now.

Muscle Fitness website has some good info.

And you need enough rest to build muscle too!

Your protein would have to be ridiculously low for that to happen.