Clean eating here I come.....

Options

Replies

• WinoGelato
    WinoGelato Posts: 13,454 Member
    Options
    blamundson wrote: »
    There's a great magazine called Clean Eating that has good recipes. Focuses on whole food ingredients and minimal processed items. Good luck!

Don't most cookbooks have recipes with whole food ingredients and minimally processed items? I mean, unless you buy a cookbook specifically focused on something like time saving, like a Sandra Lee Semi Homemade, aren't they all fairly "clean" by the vague definitions we've seen?

• lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    Baking soda!
  • Sarasmaintaining
    Sarasmaintaining Posts: 1,027 Member
    edited June 2015
    Options
    OdesAngel wrote: »
    I will still be logging my cals but I thought eating non processed stuff would be better for me all round (including losing weight)

Nope. Weight loss is about calories, math and eating at a calorie deficit. Eating certain foods or not eating certain foods will not help or hinder you, it comes down to if you're eating at an appropriate calorie deficit or not.

I *could* eat 1200 calories in twinkies a day and lose weight.
    Or I could eat 1200 calories of fish, veggies, eggs and fruit.....and lose weight.

One IS definitely better.
    I think this is what the OP meant.

Why is it always 1200 calories of ***insert "junk" food*** vs. Fish, veggies, eggs etc? I've never seen anyone on MFP advocate a Twinkie diet.

I was simply responding to comments made above mine.......
    Saying that certain foods won't help or hinder you has not been my experience.
    If I pay no attention to the quality of my caloric intake and only focus on quantity......I don't feel good.
    A calorie is a calorie is a calorie.......? Not in my day.

So does my own experience cancel out your experience then? Because I've had fantastic results focusing on CICO and eating at a calorie deficit, and continuing to eat ALL the foods I like. That includes things like veggies, whole grains, eggs, fish etc. It also includes things like the ice cream sandwich I just ate, the Subway sandwich I had for lunch yesterday and the Fiesta Salad, served in an awesome tortilla bowl, that I had last night for supper at Big Boy. I don't arbitrarily label any food 'good' or 'bad' and instead eat a wide variety of foods that I like, fitting them into my calorie, nutrition and fitness goals.

The results for me have been an almost 60lb weight loss, and now successful maintenance. More importantly- it's resulted in improved health, including the pretty awesome fact that I'm no longer seeing glucose numbers in the pre-diabetic range. I'm healthy, happy and doing this whole thing in a way that's sustainable for me, for the long term :)

And I stand by my earlier statement-Weight loss is about calories, math and eating at the appropriate calorie deficit.
  • PeachyCarol
    PeachyCarol Posts: 8,029 Member
    edited June 2015
    Options
    Kruggeri wrote: »
    There's a great magazine called Clean Eating that has good recipes. Focuses on whole food ingredients and minimal processed items. Good luck!

Don't most cookbooks have recipes with whole food ingredients and minimally processed items? I mean, unless you buy a cookbook specifically focused on something like time saving, like a Sandra Lee Semi Homemade, aren't they all fairly "clean" by the vague definitions we've seen?

^This. Why special recipes?

I was thinking I didn't want to even with another clean eating thread, but she had to mention recipes. I read cook books like other people read novels.

• Sarasmaintaining
    Sarasmaintaining Posts: 1,027 Member
    edited June 2015
    Options

I was thinking I didn't want to even with another clean eating thread, but she had to mention recipes. I read cook books like other people read novels.

Ha me too, I'm an avid baker and have hundreds or recipes scattered around my house. I'm that nerd who actually checks out cookbooks from the library :p
  • WinoGelato
    WinoGelato Posts: 13,454 Member
    Options

To the bolded... To sell a product of course! Why not capitalize on the "clean eating" trend by posting recipes that can be found in any cook book in my kitchen already today!

To be fair, that's no different than any other collection of recipes that are rebranded to sell a cookbook, believe me, I have dozens of them myself, and as much as I love them, I rarely use them anymore, but still can't part with them...

• juliebowman4
    juliebowman4 Posts: 784 Member
    Options

Ha me too, I'm an avid baker and have hundreds or recipes scattered around my house. I'm that nerd who actually checks out cookbooks from the library :p

Me too!!
    I had hubby build me special shelves when we did a kitchen reno......for my collection of cookbooks.
    I work in a mostly Mennonite community, they love to give me hand written recipes
  • PeachyCarol
    PeachyCarol Posts: 8,029 Member
    edited June 2015
    Options
    My prized possessions? A Women's Day Encylopedia of Cookery from 1965. Twelve volumes of ... I can't begin to describe it. It has so many of those gawd-awful 1950's and early '60's recipes in it. It was given to me by a man my mother dated. It had belonged to his ex, she left it behind when she moved out.

The other is a home ec book that my grandmother had in high school back in the late 1930's, early 1940's (too lazy to get up now and check the publishing date). It has recipes and "homemaking" instruction.
  • juliebowman4
    juliebowman4 Posts: 784 Member
    Options
    My prized possessions? A Women's Day Encylopedia of Cookery from 1965. Twelve volumes of ... I can't begin to describe it. It has so many of those gawd-awful 1950's and early '60's recipes in it. It was given to me by a man my mother dated. It had belonged to his ex, she left it behind when she moved out.

The other is a home ec book that my grandmother had in high school back in the late 1930's, early 1940's (too lazy to get up now and check the publishing date). It has recipes and "homemaking" instruction.
    Ohmygod I can so relate!
    I found a first edition Better Homes and Gardens at a garage sale.
    I'm still giddy about that one and it's been years!
  • earlnabby
    earlnabby Posts: 8,171 Member
    edited June 2015
    Options

Ohmygod I can so relate!
    I found a first edition Better Homes and Gardens at a garage sale.
    I'm still giddy about that one and it's been years!

My favorite still is the 12th edition (1979) of the Fannie Farmer cookbook. Great basic information, great recipes, and it has a similar section on homemaking as well as one on entertaining and menu plans. i have "The Joy of Cooking" published at a similar date and it is nowhere as informative (to me).

• blwasson73
    blwasson73 Posts: 92 Member
    edited June 2015
    Options
    I agree with everyone's love of cookbooks. I have hundreds, plus numerous nutrition text books and research journals remaining from school that are now available online. There's so much information out there however, that it can be overwhelming to someone looking for new changes. Often a smaller magazine is a good way to start and expand from there. Figure out what's right for you and no one else! Good luck!
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options
    yo
    I agree with everyone's love of cookbooks. I have hundreds, plus numerous nutrition text books and research journals remaining from school that are now available online. There's so much information out there however, that it can be overwhelming to someone looking for new changes. Often a smaller magazine is a good way to start and expand from there. Figure out what's right for you and no one else! Good luck!

you missed the point which is that you don't need a clean eating magazine or cookbook….
  • blwasson73
    blwasson73 Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    ndj1979 wrote: »
    yo

you missed the point which is that you don't need a clean eating magazine or cookbook….

Yo - thanks! The poster wanted suggestions.
    I gave one. Now off to enjoy some sunshine!
  • Peloton73
    Peloton73 Posts: 148 Member
    Options
    How do you know when someone lost 40lbs while still eating McDonalds?

Don't worry, they'll tell you. ;)

I cringe when I see posts about clean eating. No, not because the OP may be misinformed, but because of all the smug and elitist replies of "Gee, I lost 40lbs eating Big Macs and I didn't eat clean".

When I see someone say they are eating clean, it tells me they are making a conscious effort to eliminate processed foods. Yes, everyone has a different definition but c'mon folks, we all know what the basic premise is. Arguing this while throwing in a posters face how you lose weight eating Oreos, chicken nuggets and corn dogs says more about you wanting to be noticed than it does about informing the poster.
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    Peloton73 wrote: »

I cringe when I see posts about clean eating. No, not because the OP may be misinformed, but because of all the smug and elitist replies of "Gee, I lost 40lbs eating Big Macs and I didn't eat clean".

When I see someone say they are eating clean, it tells me they are making a conscious effort to eliminate processed foods. Yes, everyone has a different definition but c'mon folks, we all know what the basic premise is. Arguing this while throwing in a posters face how you lose weight eating Oreos, chicken nuggets and corn dogs says more about you wanting to be noticed than it does about informing the poster.

I have seen dozens of definitions of "clean eating" and no, I don't know what the basic premise is.

I've been told canned food is unclean, frozen foods are unclean, anything that you can leave on the counter overnight is unclean, that foods with more than five ingredients are unclean. I have no idea what "clean eating" means.
  • DeguelloTex
    DeguelloTex Posts: 6,652 Member
    Options
    Peloton73 wrote: »

Or maybe it has to do with the basic premise being flawed to the extent it's put forth as necessary rather than optional.

No one is saying don't do it. People are saying it's not a requirement, even if you could manage to define it.
  • Peloton73
    edited June 2015
    Options
    Oh c'mon....you guys have over 1,000 posts on this site. I'm generalizing, (although someone in a private group did make the same claim a little bit ago). I know you have seen posts about people bragging how they just had a Big Mac and still met their calories.
  • Peloton73
    edited June 2015
    Options

No one is saying don't do it. People are saying it's not a requirement, even if you could manage to define it.

It's the way in which members on this site say it's not a requirement. It's so smug and condescending.

There's a few of you who have this wolf pack mentality. You swarm in and sweep the legs. No mercy. Then, the little followers come in echoing the same things hoping to get pats on the head from the leaders.