Clean eating here I come.....

Options

Replies

• earlnabby
    earlnabby Posts: 8,171 Member
    Options
    I am gonna just carry cal counting and make better choices with food I am sure j will lose the weight I have put on eating biscuits, crisps etc... At some point

Sounds like a great plan! Go for it. Good health is all about making healthier choices while still making room for the occasional treats. Just keep the treats as an occasional thing rather than the bulk of your diet and you will go far.

• lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    kshama2001 wrote: »
    Re "convenience foods:" my future mother-in-law sent home a box of Pillsbury Pumpkin Quick Bread for me to make for her.

Ingredients: SUGAR, ENRICHED BLEACHED FLOUR (WHEAT FLOUR, MALTED BARLEY FLOUR, NIACIN, IRON, THIAMIN MONONITRATE, RIBOFLAVIN, FOLIC ACID), WHEAT STARCH, DRIED PUMPKIN, DEXTROSE, CONTAINS 2% OR LESS OF: LEAVENING (BAKING SODA, SODIUM ACID PYROPHOSPHATE, CALCIUM PHOSPHATE), CELLULOSE, CINNAMON, CANOLA OIL, NONFAT DRY MILK, CORN STARCH, SPICES, SALT, PROPYLENE GLYCOL ESTERS OF FATTY ACIDS, DISTILLED MONOGLYCERIDES, CELLULOSE GUM, SODIUM STEAROYL-2-LACTYLATE, YELLOW 5, CITRIC ACID AND BHT (ANTIOXIDANTS), RED 40.

Add milk, oil, eggs

It would have taken just a few minutes more for me to measure out the ingredients and make it from scratch:

Pumpkin Bread I

Makes three 7.5 x 3.5 inch loaves

3 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
    2 teaspoons baking soda
    1 teaspoon baking powder
    3 teaspoons pumpkin pie spice
    1 teaspoon salt
    3 cups white sugar
    1 cup vegetable oil
    4 eggs
    1 (15 ounce) can pumpkin puree
    1/2 cup water

(However, for desserts for myself these days I mostly chose options with less flour and table sugar. Like a dried plum or a few chocolate chips.)

I'd much rather make the bread from "scratch" too, but I don't think that would count as clean in the least. Flour isn't clean according to many or most definitions, baking soda and powder likely are not (isn't baking soda like the worst thing ever and what makes KFC bad for us, according to some MFP clean eater?), pumpkin pie spice clearly not. At the least you'd have to start with the whole spices separately and grind them. Salt, well goes without saying. Sugar=satan. Vegetable oil is nearly as bad. Eggs are usually considered acceptable, but they do come in a carton and usually have a bar code. Canned pumpkin! Surely you'd have to at least start with the whole pumpkin? Water, well, that's fine.

This is my point, not that it's not great to use more nutritious ingredients where possible, to be sensible in how much low nutrient stuff you include in your diet, and to cook from whole foods when possible (which I find far more tasty and enjoyable anyway).

I'm not sure how "clean" eaters think most of us are eating (apparently Twinkies 24/7), but that's not really related to how I ever ate or even see others eating (maybe I live in a strange subculture where farmers markets and cooking are popular, who knows).
  • lemurcat12
    Options
    ndj1979 wrote: »
    OdesAngel wrote: »
    I will still be logging my cals but I thought eating non processed stuff would be better for me all round (including losing weight)

Nope. Weight loss is about calories, math and eating at a calorie deficit. Eating certain foods or not eating certain foods will not help or hinder you, it comes down to if you're eating at an appropriate calorie deficit or not.

I *could* eat 1200 calories in twinkies a day and lose weight.
    Or I could eat 1200 calories of fish, veggies, eggs and fruit.....and lose weight.

One IS definitely better.
    I think this is what the OP meant.

Why is it always 1200 calories of ***insert "junk" food*** vs. Fish, veggies, eggs etc? I've never seen anyone on MFP advocate a Twinkie diet.

That's the logical response to a statement that makes this claim and then stops: "Weight loss is about calories, math and eating at a calorie deficit. Eating certain foods or not eating certain foods will not help or hinder you, it comes down to if you're eating at an appropriate calorie deficit or not."

so saying the weight loss is about calories = advocating a diet of 100% twinkies???????

It's the logical followup to a statement that indicates calories, and calories alone, is the end-all and be-all of weight loss.

Only if you think the normal person would react to that statement by deciding that they don't care about nutrition or health (separate from weight loss) and would eat a non-balanced, low nutrient diet, which I do not think any halfway intelligent sensible person would do. Assuming that it's remotely a possibility that anyone would choose a 100% Twinkie diet (other than for an experiment, of course) strikes me as pretty insulting.

I prefer to assume that others know what good nutrition is and that it's important apart from weight loss and have some common sense.

The fact remains that eating some ice cream or bacon within your calories won't hurt weight loss efforts or health, which is what the "clean eating" position essentially is.
  • Bshmerlie
    Bshmerlie Posts: 1,026 Member
    Options
    Ok won't do clean eating then just thought it might help give me a kick up the backside to being good with what I eat after a very stressful (including a family bereavement) month and to help me stop reaching for the crap food to help me feel good. Thanks for all your replies :)

It's really sad due to the many posters on here they have convinced a person to abandon the idea of trying to eat a healthy balanced diet.

To the OP what people have failed to mention is that when you are on a restricted calorie diet it is very difficult to meet the nutritional needs of your body while eating all the processed crap. Log in a few sample menues of what a typical day would be at your calorie goal and then click on the nutrients tab on MFP and see if you are getting all the vitamins and nutrients a healthy body should have. The lower your calories are the harder it will be.

Some prossessed foods are high in sodium and carbs. Those types of foods don't tend to make you feel full for very long and then you are back to eating again. High sodium can make you retain water. Don't eat enough protein and you'll start losing muscle mass.

There are good reasons to start making better food choices especially when you are on a low calorie diet. Know what's in your food and make sure it has a good amount of nutients vs the calories you are getting from it. Vitamin A, C, potassium, iron, fiber, etc...are also all important for your body so make sure the foods you eat also provide them in sufficient quantities. You don't want to start worrying about hair loss or muscle loss. But the bottom line is the best diet for you is one that you know you can stick to.

• lemurcat12
    Options
    I am gonna just carry cal counting and make better choices with food I am sure j will lose the weight I have put on eating biscuits, crisps etc... At some point

This sounds really sensible, but if focusing on improving your diet helps you and putting together a plan to do that, I think that's great. I just don't think you should feel like you must choose between an overall poor diet and never eating cookies again (or think it's some sin to used canned beans if dry are inconvenient). But for me it actually does help to focus on cooking from whole foods (which I enjoy) and eating lots of veggies, especially now when things are coming in season, and getting my nutrition goals met before fitting something extra into my calories (which I do pretty much every day in some way--ice cream or cheese or some such).

My "clean eating" arguments aren't directed at you, but some of the other posts in this thread.
  • juliebowman4
    juliebowman4 Posts: 784 Member
    Options
    I will still be logging my cals but I thought eating non processed stuff would be better for me all round (including losing weight)

Nope. Weight loss is about calories, math and eating at a calorie deficit. Eating certain foods or not eating certain foods will not help or hinder you, it comes down to if you're eating at an appropriate calorie deficit or not.

Or I could eat 1200 calories of fish, veggies, eggs and fruit.....and lose weight.

Why is it always 1200 calories of ***insert "junk" food*** vs. Fish, veggies, eggs etc? I've never seen anyone on MFP advocate a Twinkie diet.

I was simply responding to comments made above mine.......
    Saying that certain foods won't help or hinder you has not been my experience.
    If I pay no attention to the quality of my caloric intake and only focus on quantity......I don't feel good.
    A calorie is a calorie is a calorie.......? Not in my day.
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options
    Bshmerlie wrote: »
    Ok won't do clean eating then just thought it might help give me a kick up the backside to being good with what I eat after a very stressful (including a family bereavement) month and to help me stop reaching for the crap food to help me feel good. Thanks for all your replies :)

It's really sad due to the many posters on here they have convinced a person to abandon the idea of trying to eat a healthy balanced diet.

To the OP what people have failed to mention is that when you are on a restricted calorie diet it is very difficult to meet the nutritional needs of your body while eating all the processed crap. Log in a few sample menues of what a typical day would be at your calorie goal and then click on the nutrients tab on MFP and see if you are getting all the vitamins and nutrients a healthy body should have. The lower your calories are the harder it will be.

Some prossessed foods are high in sodium and carbs. Those types of foods don't tend to make you feel full for very long and then you are back to eating again. High sodium can make you retain water. Don't eat enough protein and you'll start losing muscle mass.

There are good reasons to start making better food choices especially when you are on a low calorie diet. Know what's in your food and make sure it has a good amount of nutients vs the calories you are getting from it. Vitamin A, C, potassium, iron, fiber, etc...are also all important for your body so make sure the foods you eat also provide them in sufficient quantities. You don't want to start worrying about hair loss or muscle loss. But the bottom line is the best diet for you is one that you know you can stick to.

please find the person in this thread that told OP to ignore nutrition?

what everyone is telling OP its he following:

clean eating is almost impossible to define
    clean eating is unnecessary for weight loss
    you can eat the foods you enjoy, be in a calorie deficit, and lose weight; however, make sure that you still eat nutrient dense foods, but is OK to eat some pizza, ice cream, etc.
    processed food are not inherently bad

• juliebowman4
    Options

That's the logical response to a statement that makes this claim and then stops: "Weight loss is about calories, math and eating at a calorie deficit. Eating certain foods or not eating certain foods will not help or hinder you, it comes down to if you're eating at an appropriate calorie deficit or not."

Sure, I could eat 1600 calories of iceberg lettuce and lose weight, or I could have 1600 calories of some cereal, meats and veggies, eggs, dessert, maybe some McDonalds or other fast food if it fits.

Thank you.
    That's what I was trying to say.
    But twinkies is a dirty word that sends people into a frenzy.
    Lol

• ndj1979
    Options

I was simply responding to comments made above mine.......
    Saying that certain foods won't help or hinder you has not been my experience.
    If I pay no attention to the quality of my caloric intake and only focus on quantity......I don't feel good.

calories are units of energy so yes 1200 calories of twinkies = 1200 calories of vegetables for an energy perspective. however, they are no nutritionally the same and no one is claiming that.

so hate to break it to you, but yes, even in your day, a calorie is a calorie.
  • juliebowman4
    Options
    Oh my
    Nobody said anyone was advocating for or using a Twinkie diet.
    Lol
    It's simply a rudimentary example to point out quality vs quantity.
  • ndj1979
    Options
    Oh my
    Lol

no, it is a straw man argument that has zero basis in the real world because no one has ever advocated it as a method of eating. Except as an experimental design.
  • lemurcat12
    Options
    what people have failed to mention is that when you are on a restricted calorie diet it is very difficult to meet the nutritional needs of your body while eating all the processed crap.

Processed foods I have eaten this morning (calling it crap is your claim, which I do not agree with):

Bob's Red Mill steel cut oats (came in a package, the steel cut thing is a form of processing)

Raspberries (in a carton, not yet in season here)

Protein power (a sugar free type with limited additives from WF, because I'm silly, but definitely highly processed)

Cottage cheese (from a local farm that sells at my farmer's market but currently carried at WF, where I bought it, in a jar and with a bar code).

None of that makes it more difficult to meet my calorie goal or nutritional needs. Being processed or not really has nothing to do with it. Again, many of the processed foods I choose to include in my diet: oatmeal, canned beans and tomatoes, frozen fish, smoked fish, tinned herring, protein powder and bars among other things make it easier, not harder, to meet my nutritional needs and to do so with a minimum of fuss such that I am more likely to sustain it. There is simply nothing unhealthy about this, IMO.

Same with occasionally buying food from lunch places I deem to have food like that I'd make myself (I could list off a number of places near my office).

And including moderate amounts of extras (again, like cheese or ice cream) isn't hard to fit into any reasonable calorie goal and can make a plan seem more like something one would enjoy happily for life, rather than something to endure for just a time or punishment for getting fat. If there are no lower nutrient/higher calorie extras that you ever want or think you will ever want again, great (although if you ever ate these things I wouldn't assume that), but most people do enjoy some such food, so knowing they can be included in a healthy, reasonable calorie weight loss plan is, I think, helpful.

(And really has little to do with processing, since I know how to make ice cream at home and could learn to make cheese, although I'd rather have the better cheeses available in "processed" form since I love trying new delicious cheeses from all over.)
  • lemurcat12
    Options

But no one has said to do that. I think you are misunderstanding.

A calorie is a calorie is a statement about weight loss and units of measurement. It -- obviously -- does not mean that the health effects or nutrient value or macros of specific foods do not differ.

That a calorie is a calorie does not mean (again, OBVIOUSLY) that chicken is a Twinkie. Sigh.
  • stevencloser
    stevencloser Posts: 8,911 Member
    Options
    Oh my
    Lol

It's a dumb example because no one does it, like 1600 calories of nothing but lettuce.
  • lemurcat12
    Options
    Oh my
    Lol

But as stevencloser pointed out (and you agreed), the higher quality diet could well be the less "clean" one. Point is that there's nothing about "eating clean" (even if it actually meant anything) that is superior for weight loss or nutrition. You seemed to be suggesting that not eating clean meant not eating meat and veggies but only Twinkies.
  • juliebowman4
    edited June 2015
    Options
    -sigh-
    Sometimes I think I have a serious issue when it comes to the written word and communicating my point.
    And that some people have comprehension problems.
    And some simply don't read the whole thread to see where statements come from.....

Cheers folks. Enjoy the day.

Edited to say: I am NOT advocating for clean eating, whatever that is. (New buzzword).
    I was saying that weight loss, healthy sustainable weight loss is not strictly about quantity of calories consumed.
    I'm not judging instant oatmeal vs growing and milling your own
  • earlnabby
    earlnabby Posts: 8,171 Member
    Options

Nobody is advocating that the OP abandon the idea of eating a balanced, nutritive diet. In fact, everyone is saying that it is exactly what she should be doing. What we are also saying is that setting rules and regulations and labeling certain foods as "good" or "bad" is unnecessary in order to eat that balanced diet.

Eat the bulk of your foods as nutrient dense, balanced, fresh foods and fill in with the treats where they fit, if you want them. You don't HAVE to eat ice cream. You CAN eat ice cream if you want it and have calories left over and you have hit your macros for the day.

• ndj1979
    Options
    -sigh-
    Sometimes I think I have a serious issue when it comes to the written word and communicating my point.
    And that some people have comprehension problems.
    And some simply don't read the whole thread to see where statements come from.....

Cheers folks. Enjoy the day.

Edited to say: I am NOT advocating for clean eating, whatever that is. (New buzzword).
    I was saying that weight loss, healthy sustainable weight loss is not strictly about quantity of calories consumed.
    I'm not judging instant oatmeal vs growing and milling your own

right, we are all not smart enough to comprehend what you are saying. Nice fall back, passively aggressively insult the people disagreeing with you.

if the bolded part is what you meant, why didn't you express that instead of creating a straw man about 1200 calorie of twinkies?