Clean eating here I come.....

Options

Replies

• PeachyCarol
    PeachyCarol Posts: 8,029 Member
    Options
    I think an American could sub out Canadian bacon and A-1 to try to duplicate the experience.
  • Alatariel75
    Alatariel75 Posts: 17,959 Member
    Options
    I think an American could sub out Canadian bacon and A-1 to try to duplicate the experience.

That would be an ideal sub-out!
  • snickerscharlie
    snickerscharlie Posts: 8,578 Member
    Options
    Canadians have access to *both* types of bacon, as well as A-1 and HP. :)

A hog lovers paradise! <3
  • ruggedshutter
    ruggedshutter Posts: 389 Member
    Options
    this wk I am starting clean eating, I have done a meal plan and gonna order my shopping online later. If anyone wants to give me any advice would be great :)

Good luck and I think it's great :)
  • booksandchocolate12
    booksandchocolate12 Posts: 1,741 Member
    Options
    I love how a thread about clean eating turned into one about bacon!!!

(Although, to me, Canadian Bacon isn't really bacon...it's just a fancy way of saying "ham").
  • snickerscharlie
    Options
    I love how a thread about clean eating turned into one about bacon!!!

(Although, to me, Canadian Bacon isn't really bacon...it's just a fancy way of saying "ham").

Agreed! I much prefer "American style" bacon. I have a local butcher here who sells his own double smoked bacon. It is truly Food For The Gods.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    rabbitjb wrote: »
    _Terrapin_ wrote: »
    I will still be logging my cals but I thought eating non processed stuff would be better for me all round (including losing weight)

If it works for you then great, personally I like my fat free Greek yoghurt, cheese and protein flapjacks too much to eat 'clean'.

Agree ...although I don't do flapjacks ...but I do do mars ice cream bars and bacon toasties
    What are bacon toasties?

Cannot tell if serious? :bigsmile: ..it is breakfast in bed and saves many a marriage

White farmhouse toast, butter, 2 rashers grilled back bacon, egg optional and either Heinz ketchup or HP sauce with a mug of coffee

student-recipes-toastie-13.jpg

I'm drooling
  • DeguelloTex
    DeguelloTex Posts: 6,652 Member
    Options
    _Terrapin_ wrote: »
    I will still be logging my cals but I thought eating non processed stuff would be better for me all round (including losing weight)

If it works for you then great, personally I like my fat free Greek yoghurt, cheese and protein flapjacks too much to eat 'clean'.

Agree ...although I don't do flapjacks ...but I do do mars ice cream bars and bacon toasties
    What are bacon toasties?

Cannot tell if serious? :bigsmile: ..it is breakfast in bed and saves many a marriage

White farmhouse toast, butter, 2 rashers grilled back bacon, egg optional and either Heinz ketchup or HP sauce with a mug of coffee

student-recipes-toastie-13.jpg

Ah, that looks awesome! For us Americans, what is "back" bacon and HP sauce?

Americans don't have proper bacon :cry:
    Well, the improper bacon is better, anyway, so at least there's that.

Does filtered, sanitized water count as "processed?"

• earlnabby
    earlnabby Posts: 8,171 Member
    Options
    I get really good back bacon at a local Irish Import store. Much more expensive than "normal" bacon, but oh so tasty! I was hooked when I visited Ireland for a few weeks 20 years ago and have been treating myself ever since. That is also where I started drinking milk in my tea and I now drink it that way most of the time.

Oh, A-1 is very close to HP sauce.
  • booksandchocolate12
    booksandchocolate12 Posts: 1,741 Member
    Options
    American bacon may not be "proper" but it sure is delicious!

cdcxwmjq0skj.gif
  • juliebowman4
    juliebowman4 Posts: 784 Member
    Options

Nope. Weight loss is about calories, math and eating at a calorie deficit. Eating certain foods or not eating certain foods will not help or hinder you, it comes down to if you're eating at an appropriate calorie deficit or not.

I *could* eat 1200 calories in twinkies a day and lose weight.
    Or I could eat 1200 calories of fish, veggies, eggs and fruit.....and lose weight.

One IS definitely better.
    I think this is what the OP meant.
  • earlnabby
    Options

Cutting down on packaged and prepared foods is always helpful, because if you can make a similar item yourself at home, you have complete control over the ingredients. Especially with items like sodium. But 'processed foods' aren't the debil - like with all foods, how much you eat of them is what really matters. You can consume only organic bananas and bottled water, for example, and still pack on the pounds. There's no magic. There's only CICO. :smile:

Very true. It makes sense for most people to eat more healthy by making as many meals from whole, fresh ingredients as often as possible instead of pre-packaged meals and mixes, but it is almost impossible for most people to cut out all processed foods. I like to say I eat as few "convenience foods" as possible. I make my oatmeal from oats rather than packages. I make pancakes from individual ingredients rather than boxed mixes. I rarely eat a frozen dinner. My taco seasoning is a mix of herbs and spices rather than the high sodium stuff that comes in packets. I don't like the term "clean eating" but I do tend to eat the way many describe. I just don't cut out anything.

• snickerscharlie
    Options
    earlnabby wrote: »

Cutting down on packaged and prepared foods is always helpful, because if you can make a similar item yourself at home, you have complete control over the ingredients. Especially with items like sodium. But 'processed foods' aren't the debil - like with all foods, how much you eat of them is what really matters. You can consume only organic bananas and bottled water, for example, and still pack on the pounds. There's no magic. There's only CICO. :smile:

Very true. It makes sense for most people to eat more healthy by making as many meals from whole, fresh ingredients as often as possible instead of pre-packaged meals and mixes, but it is almost impossible for most people to cut out all processed foods. I like to say I eat as few "convenience foods" as possible. I make my oatmeal from oats rather than packages. I make pancakes from individual ingredients rather than boxed mixes. I rarely eat a frozen dinner. My taco seasoning is a mix of herbs and spices rather than the high sodium stuff that comes in packets. I don't like the term "clean eating" but I do tend to eat the way many describe. I just don't cut out anything.

BINGO! :)

• Alluminati
    Alluminati Posts: 6,208 Member
    edited June 2015
    Options

Nope. Weight loss is about calories, math and eating at a calorie deficit. Eating certain foods or not eating certain foods will not help or hinder you, it comes down to if you're eating at an appropriate calorie deficit or not.

Or I could eat 1200 calories of fish, veggies, eggs and fruit.....and lose weight.

Why is it always 1200 calories of ***insert "junk" food*** vs. Fish, veggies, eggs etc? I've never seen anyone on MFP advocate a Twinkie diet.
  • earlnabby
    Options
    OdesAngel wrote: »

Why is it always 1200 calories of ***insert "junk" food*** vs. Fish, veggies, eggs etc? I've never seen anyone on MFP advocate a Twinkie diet.

Because a strawman argument is the only argument they have.

• MonkeyMel21
    MonkeyMel21 Posts: 2,395 Member
    Options
    I came in to this thread to see a "clean eating" debate and now I just want bacon.
  • kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    edited June 2015
    Options
    Well gonna see if I can stick to it as might end up doing a bit mixing both types of food ;)

No. Food isn't separated into categories like "clean" and... what? "Unclean"? "Dirty"? It's just food. Some foods have more of this nutrient, some have more of that. Some are more calorie dense. We need them all. A few foods are better avoided altogether, like margarine and store bought juice, and some are not very filling for the amount of calories it provides - but don't eliminate food you like unless you have a medical reeason for it, and your doctor told you to :)
  • Sarasmaintaining
    Sarasmaintaining Posts: 1,027 Member
    edited June 2015
    Options
    OdesAngel wrote: »

Yep, I eat fish, veggies, eggs etc AND Twinkies, McDonalds, cookies etc. Its working out pretty well for me ;)
  • earlnabby
    edited June 2015
    Options
    I came in to this thread to see a "clean eating" debate and now I just want bacon.

Yeah, me too. I want bacon for breakfast instead of my toasted double fiber whole grain bread with butter, which is not clean since I bought it already made instead of grinding my own flour from organic heirloom wheat and milking my own cow to make butter.

• kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,996 Member
    Options
    Re "convenience foods:" my future mother-in-law sent home a box of Pillsbury Pumpkin Quick Bread for me to make for her.

Ingredients: SUGAR, ENRICHED BLEACHED FLOUR (WHEAT FLOUR, MALTED BARLEY FLOUR, NIACIN, IRON, THIAMIN MONONITRATE, RIBOFLAVIN, FOLIC ACID), WHEAT STARCH, DRIED PUMPKIN, DEXTROSE, CONTAINS 2% OR LESS OF: LEAVENING (BAKING SODA, SODIUM ACID PYROPHOSPHATE, CALCIUM PHOSPHATE), CELLULOSE, CINNAMON, CANOLA OIL, NONFAT DRY MILK, CORN STARCH, SPICES, SALT, PROPYLENE GLYCOL ESTERS OF FATTY ACIDS, DISTILLED MONOGLYCERIDES, CELLULOSE GUM, SODIUM STEAROYL-2-LACTYLATE, YELLOW 5, CITRIC ACID AND BHT (ANTIOXIDANTS), RED 40.

Add milk, oil, eggs

It would have taken just a few minutes more for me to measure out the ingredients and make it from scratch:

Pumpkin Bread I

Makes three 7.5 x 3.5 inch loaves

3 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
    2 teaspoons baking soda
    1 teaspoon baking powder
    3 teaspoons pumpkin pie spice
    1 teaspoon salt
    3 cups white sugar
    1 cup vegetable oil
    4 eggs
    1 (15 ounce) can pumpkin puree
    1/2 cup water

(However, for desserts for myself these days I mostly chose options with less flour and table sugar. Like a dried plum or a few chocolate chips.)