Clean eating here I come.....

Options

Replies

• chezzabelle82
    chezzabelle82 Posts: 302 Member
    Options
    lemurcat12 wrote: »
    I am gonna just carry cal counting and make better choices with food I am sure j will lose the weight I have put on eating biscuits, crisps etc... At some point

This sounds really sensible, but if focusing on improving your diet helps you and putting together a plan to do that, I think that's great. I just don't think you should feel like you must choose between an overall poor diet and never eating cookies again (or think it's some sin to used canned beans if dry are inconvenient). But for me it actually does help to focus on cooking from whole foods (which I enjoy) and eating lots of veggies, especially now when things are coming in season, and getting my nutrition goals met before fitting something extra into my calories (which I do pretty much every day in some way--ice cream or cheese or some such).

My "clean eating" arguments aren't directed at you, but some of the other posts in this thread.

I know they aren't directed at me but I can't help but feel bad that I started this thread as everyone seems to be arguing, I didn't realise that clean eating was a fad word that would start this lol
  • WinoGelato
    WinoGelato Posts: 13,454 Member
    Options
    OP, I am firmly on Team Moderation, find the term "clean eating" to be arbitrary and unnecessary, and find the 1200 cal Twinkie straw man to be insulting as well.

With that said, I think we all can agree that it is commendable that you have goals and wanted to make a plan about how to achieve those goals. I think what people are trying to make sure you are aware of is that many people who start out all gung ho about a particular "diet" or way of eating often get so stressed out trying to adhere to it that they end up giving up altogether and going back to their old ways.

It is great that you put together a meal plan and want to make some healthier food choices. These are habits that many of the successful people on MFP do. Just don't feel like you have to only eat "clean" (whatever your definition is) or you will fail at weight loss. You can eat fish, fruits, vegetables, whole grains AND have a treat like a biscuit, crisp, or ice cream (even a Twinkie) if you like as a PART of your healthy diet.

Also if you haven't already, go to the top of the Getting Started forum and read the stickied posts, you will find a lot of helpful info there.

Good luck!
  • juliebowman4
    juliebowman4 Posts: 784 Member
    Options
    Sarasmaintaining wrote: »
    » show previous quotes

Nope. Weight loss is about calories, math and eating at a calorie deficit. Eating certain foods or not eating certain foods will not help or hinder you, it comes down to if you're eating at an appropriate calorie deficit or not.

This is what my response was directed towards.

I hope I'm not alone in the thought (although I have likely not communicated it well) that HEALTHY SUSTAINABLE WEIGHT LOSS is about more than math.
  • DeguelloTex
    DeguelloTex Posts: 6,652 Member
    Options
    earlnabby wrote: »
    Bshmerlie wrote: »
    Ok won't do clean eating then just thought it might help give me a kick up the backside to being good with what I eat after a very stressful (including a family bereavement) month and to help me stop reaching for the crap food to help me feel good. Thanks for all your replies :)

It's really sad due to the many posters on here they have convinced a person to abandon the idea of trying to eat a healthy balanced diet.

To the OP what people have failed to mention is that when you are on a restricted calorie diet it is very difficult to meet the nutritional needs of your body while eating all the processed crap. Log in a few sample menues of what a typical day would be at your calorie goal and then click on the nutrients tab on MFP and see if you are getting all the vitamins and nutrients a healthy body should have. The lower your calories are the harder it will be.

Some prossessed foods are high in sodium and carbs. Those types of foods don't tend to make you feel full for very long and then you are back to eating again. High sodium can make you retain water. Don't eat enough protein and you'll start losing muscle mass.

There are good reasons to start making better food choices especially when you are on a low calorie diet. Know what's in your food and make sure it has a good amount of nutients vs the calories you are getting from it. Vitamin A, C, potassium, iron, fiber, etc...are also all important for your body so make sure the foods you eat also provide them in sufficient quantities. You don't want to start worrying about hair loss or muscle loss. But the bottom line is the best diet for you is one that you know you can stick to.

Nobody is advocating that the OP abandon the idea of eating a balanced, nutritive diet. In fact, everyone is saying that it is exactly what she should be doing. What we are also saying is that setting rules and regulations and labeling certain foods as "good" or "bad" is unnecessary in order to eat that balanced diet.

Eat the bulk of your foods as nutrient dense, balanced, fresh foods and fill in with the treats where they fit, if you want them. You don't HAVE to eat ice cream. You CAN eat ice cream if you want it and have calories left over and you have hit your macros for the day.
    This is so straightforward that it's really hard to reach any conclusion other than that the people who purport to glean another other conclusion from threads like this is are being intentionally obtuse for whatever reason.

• Bshmerlie
    Bshmerlie Posts: 1,026 Member
    Options
    Don't take it personal they can argue about anything. If you can meet with your doctor or a nutritionist and ask them for suggestions on proper meal plans for your diet goals.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    I am gonna just carry cal counting and make better choices with food I am sure j will lose the weight I have put on eating biscuits, crisps etc... At some point

This sounds really sensible, but if focusing on improving your diet helps you and putting together a plan to do that, I think that's great. I just don't think you should feel like you must choose between an overall poor diet and never eating cookies again (or think it's some sin to used canned beans if dry are inconvenient). But for me it actually does help to focus on cooking from whole foods (which I enjoy) and eating lots of veggies, especially now when things are coming in season, and getting my nutrition goals met before fitting something extra into my calories (which I do pretty much every day in some way--ice cream or cheese or some such).

My "clean eating" arguments aren't directed at you, but some of the other posts in this thread.

I know they aren't directed at me but I can't help but feel bad that I started this thread as everyone seems to be arguing, I didn't realise that clean eating was a fad word that would start this lol

Don't feel bad or take it personally. "Clean" eating is just a common topic to argue about around here.
  • WinoGelato
    Options

Oh believe me, this argument happens hundreds of times a week on MFP, if you hadn't started this thread someone else would have started another and the same people would be having the same argument. Don't worry about it and good luck!
  • WinoGelato
    Options
    earlnabby wrote: »
    Ok won't do clean eating then just thought it might help give me a kick up the backside to being good with what I eat after a very stressful (including a family bereavement) month and to help me stop reaching for the crap food to help me feel good. Thanks for all your replies :)

It's really sad due to the many posters on here they have convinced a person to abandon the idea of trying to eat a healthy balanced diet.

To the OP what people have failed to mention is that when you are on a restricted calorie diet it is very difficult to meet the nutritional needs of your body while eating all the processed crap. Log in a few sample menues of what a typical day would be at your calorie goal and then click on the nutrients tab on MFP and see if you are getting all the vitamins and nutrients a healthy body should have. The lower your calories are the harder it will be.

Some prossessed foods are high in sodium and carbs. Those types of foods don't tend to make you feel full for very long and then you are back to eating again. High sodium can make you retain water. Don't eat enough protein and you'll start losing muscle mass.

There are good reasons to start making better food choices especially when you are on a low calorie diet. Know what's in your food and make sure it has a good amount of nutients vs the calories you are getting from it. Vitamin A, C, potassium, iron, fiber, etc...are also all important for your body so make sure the foods you eat also provide them in sufficient quantities. You don't want to start worrying about hair loss or muscle loss. But the bottom line is the best diet for you is one that you know you can stick to.

Nobody is advocating that the OP abandon the idea of eating a balanced, nutritive diet. In fact, everyone is saying that it is exactly what she should be doing. What we are also saying is that setting rules and regulations and labeling certain foods as "good" or "bad" is unnecessary in order to eat that balanced diet.

Eat the bulk of your foods as nutrient dense, balanced, fresh foods and fill in with the treats where they fit, if you want them. You don't HAVE to eat ice cream. You CAN eat ice cream if you want it and have calories left over and you have hit your macros for the day.

This is so perfectly worded. Can we just adopt these two paragraphs for every single clean eating debate and resulting straw man arguments?
  • juliebowman4
    edited June 2015
    Options

I had no idea 'clean eating' was such a hot-button word here either. I'm newish
    Lesson learned.....if I can't clearly communicate my thoughts, just back away Julie.....
  • AdamImadA
    AdamImadA Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    Oh my
    Nobody said anyone was advocating for or using a Twinkie diet.
    Lol
    It's simply a rudimentary example to point out quality vs quantity.

So the equasion is quality (ie fish and veg) ~quantity (ie fish and veg)

Cuz I don't think 9 twinkles would weigh very much...

Why do we have this conversation to nausium every two days?????!?
  • juliebowman4
    edited June 2015
    Options
    Not 'running'.
    Backing away after acknowledging that I likely didn't communicate my thoughts very well and have upset others.
    Apparently it's necessary to stick around until someone draws blood. Is that how this works?
  • Bshmerlie
    Options

Yes here are the words to avoid on MFP:

1. Clean eating
    2. Junk food
    3. Good food
    4. Bad food
    5. Starvation mode
    6. Cleansing
    7. Any kind of weight loss pills
    8. Fad diets of any kind
    9. Making a list of words to avoid :)

Bottom line is they are looking for things to argue about. So as soon as someone uses a particular word they will side track the entire post making the OP wish they hadn't asked a question in the first place.
  • juliebowman4
    Options

1. Clean eating
    2. Junk food
    3. Good food
    4. Bad food
    5. Starvation mode
    6. Cleansing
    8. Fad diets of any kind

Bottom line is they are looking for things to argue about. So as soon as someone uses a particular word they will side track the entire post making the OP wish they hadn't asked a question in the first place.

Much thanks
  • Bshmerlie
    Options

1. Clean eating
    2. Junk food
    3. Good food
    4. Bad food
    5. Starvation mode
    6. Cleansing
    8. Fad diets of any kind

Much thanks

:) just work on enjoying what you eat and try new things.

Oh... forgot one more word. Never use the word "cheat" either. Lol
  • Bshmerlie
    Options
    MrM27 wrote: »

1. Clean eating
    2. Junk food
    3. Good food
    4. Bad food
    5. Starvation mode
    6. Cleansing
    8. Fad diets of any kind

Are you going to provide anything to the conversation other that criticizing or trying to create more drama?

Actually I already did? Are you not following along or are you looking for things to argue about?
  • stevencloser
    stevencloser Posts: 8,911 Member
    Options
    MrM27 wrote: »

1. Clean eating
    2. Junk food
    3. Good food
    4. Bad food
    5. Starvation mode
    6. Cleansing
    8. Fad diets of any kind

Are you going to provide anything to the conversation other that criticizing or trying to create more drama?

Actually I already did? Are you not following along or are you looking for things to argue about?

Have you now?