Clean eating here I come.....

Options

Replies

• kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,996 Member
    edited June 2015
    Options
    OdesAngel wrote: »
    I will still be logging my cals but I thought eating non processed stuff would be better for me all round (including losing weight)

Nope. Weight loss is about calories, math and eating at a calorie deficit. Eating certain foods or not eating certain foods will not help or hinder you, it comes down to if you're eating at an appropriate calorie deficit or not.

I *could* eat 1200 calories in twinkies a day and lose weight.
    Or I could eat 1200 calories of fish, veggies, eggs and fruit.....and lose weight.

One IS definitely better.
    I think this is what the OP meant.

Why is it always 1200 calories of ***insert "junk" food*** vs. Fish, veggies, eggs etc? I've never seen anyone on MFP advocate a Twinkie diet.

That's the logical response to a statement that makes this claim and then stops: "Weight loss is about calories, math and eating at a calorie deficit. Eating certain foods or not eating certain foods will not help or hinder you, it comes down to if you're eating at an appropriate calorie deficit or not."
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options
    I love how a thread about clean eating turned into one about bacon!!!

(Although, to me, Canadian Bacon isn't really bacon...it's just a fancy way of saying "ham").

bacon is clean, right?
  • earlnabby
    earlnabby Posts: 8,171 Member
    Options
    kshama2001 wrote: »
    Re "convenience foods:" my future mother-in-law sent home a box of Pillsbury Pumpkin Quick Bread for me to make for her.

*snipped for brevity*

Add milk, oil, eggs

It would have taken just a few minutes more for me to measure out the ingredients and make it from scratch:

*snipped for brevity*

I have always made my tea breads and cakes from scratch for just this reason. I almost always have flour, eggs, butter, oil, sugar, etc. on hand so it is just as quick and I don't have to actually think to buy a mix.

BTW: pound cake is really easy to make from scratch. The recipe for 3 - 8" loaves is: a pound of eggs, a pound of butter, a pound of flour, and a pound of sugar. You just add a splash of vanilla and/or lemon extract for flavor and maybe a little milk if the batter seems a little dry.
  • ndj1979
    Options
    I will still be logging my cals but I thought eating non processed stuff would be better for me all round (including losing weight)

Nope. Weight loss is about calories, math and eating at a calorie deficit. Eating certain foods or not eating certain foods will not help or hinder you, it comes down to if you're eating at an appropriate calorie deficit or not.

Or I could eat 1200 calories of fish, veggies, eggs and fruit.....and lose weight.

totally ridiculous straw man.

Please find me the one person that is advocating the 100% twinkie diet of 1200 calories.

1200 calories of twinkies = 1200 calories of vegetables from an energy standpoint; however, they are not nutritionally the same and no one is making that argument.
  • ndj1979
    Options

Why is it always 1200 calories of ***insert "junk" food*** vs. Fish, veggies, eggs etc? I've never seen anyone on MFP advocate a Twinkie diet.

That's the logical response to a statement that makes this claim and then stops: "Weight loss is about calories, math and eating at a calorie deficit. Eating certain foods or not eating certain foods will not help or hinder you, it comes down to if you're eating at an appropriate calorie deficit or not."

so saying the weight loss is about calories = advocating a diet of 100% twinkies???????
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,996 Member
    Options
    ndj1979 wrote: »

so saying the weight loss is about calories = advocating a diet of 100% twinkies???????

It's the logical followup to a statement that indicates calories, and calories alone, is the end-all and be-all of weight loss.
  • chezzabelle82
    chezzabelle82 Posts: 302 Member
    edited June 2015
    Options
    Ok won't do clean eating then just thought it might help give me a kick up the backside to being good with what I eat after a very stressful (including a family bereavement) month and to help me stop reaching for the crap food to help me feel good. Thanks for all your replies :)
  • ndj1979
    Options

It's the logical followup to a statement that indicates calories, and calories alone, is the end-all and be-all of weight loss.

no, it is not the logical follow up. It is so illogical that I can't believe that you would even make that statement.

Also, most of the people saying it is about calories are also saying make sure you hit your macro/micros and there is no way you are going to hit micros and macros on 100% twinkie diet.

so please just stop trying to justify this nonsense.
  • earlnabby
    Options
    Ok won't do clean eating then just thought it might help give me a kick up the backside to being good with what I eat after a very stressful (including a family bereavement) month and to help me stop reaching for the crap food to help me feel good. Thanks for all your replies :)

Nothing wrong with changing your eating to fewer convenience foods. The actual "clean eating" concept is really a trendy term that people use to describe what we used to call a "balanced diet" with rules and regulations thrown in.

• ndj1979
    Options

OP - if you really want to embark on clean eating then by all means do it. I think what some of the other posters are saying is that it is almost impossible to define what "clean" eating is, and that you really should not view food as good/bad/evil/clean etc. Food is just food that you use for energy and to get nutrients.

Also, there is nothing inherently wrong with processed foods, and if you boil it down all foods are processed on some level. Unless, you are going to grow your own vegetables, and hunt your own meat??

I would suggest looking at a diet that is nutrient dense, hits micros/macros, and then mix in some treats that you like so that you are not going crazy trying to avoid "bad' foods..so if you want ice cream, have ice cream ..or pizza, or cookies, etc..

that is my .02
  • debrag12
    debrag12 Posts: 1,071 Member
    Options

(Although, to me, Canadian Bacon isn't really bacon...it's just a fancy way of saying "ham").

Agreed! I much prefer "American style" bacon. I have a local butcher here who sells his own double smoked bacon. It is truly Food For The Gods.

Give me smoked bacon any day oh and smoked gammon!
  • earlnabby
    Options

OP - if you really want to embark on clean eating then by all means do it. I think what some of the other posters are saying is that it is almost impossible to define what "clean" eating is, and that you really should not view food as good/bad/evil/clean etc. Food is just food that you use for energy and to get nutrients.

Also, there is nothing inherently wrong with processed foods, and if you boil it down all foods are processed on some level. Unless, you are going to grow your own vegetables, and hunt your own meat??

I would suggest looking at a diet that is nutrient dense, hits micros/macros, and then mix in some treats that you like so that you are not going crazy trying to avoid "bad' foods..so if you want ice cream, have ice cream ..or pizza, or cookies, etc..

that is my .02

I think your 2¢ is worth at least $2 on this one ;)

• earlnabby
    Options
    debrag12 wrote: »

Agreed! I much prefer "American style" bacon. I have a local butcher here who sells his own double smoked bacon. It is truly Food For The Gods.

Give me smoked bacon any day oh and smoked gammon!

What is gammon?

• SergeantSausage
    SergeantSausage Posts: 1,673 Member
    Options
    Don't waste your time. Eat what you always eat. What you like to eat (you're gonna anyway, right?).. just eat less of it.
  • ndj1979
    Options
    earlnabby wrote: »

that is my .02

I think your 2¢ is worth at least $2 on this one ;)

i have my moments...
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options

Nope.

First of all, no need to eat 1200 to lose weight, in my view.

Second, what we are talking about when talking about "clean eating" vs. "moderation" is that you can choose to lose weight eating whatever your calorie goal is of fish/other meat, lots of veggies, fruit, yogurt (in cartons), starchy veg, grains, etc., including the occasion serving of ice cream in your calories or meal purchased from Pret or some other restaurant that fits your preferences, plus maybe an occasional meal out and occasional glass of wine for those who drink. That's moderation, and it's quite similar to how I eat. OR you can tell yourself that the issue for weight control is "processed" vs. not and go nuts cutting our packaged yogurt (even plain) and protein powder and packaged smoked salmon and lunches you might purchase out of convenience (even if that means you are super hungry for dinner if you plan less well some day and end up making worse choices) and all wine and all sweets (even if you really miss them), etc. But you get to feel superior and claim others eat Twinkies 24/7, so there's that!

Absolutely no one recommends eating mostly non nutritious food (let alone only that).

I really think the "clean eating" is mostly a thing for people who did eat lots of high cal packaged and fast foods or the like, but processed is a much bigger category and there are tons of processed foods that can be seen as positive additions to a diet. And of course even foods that are more just for fun/satisfaction (like some ice cream or chocolate) aren't an issue if someone eats them after fitting in the other foods that need their needs and stay within their calorie goals (for the day or week).
  • lemurcat12
    Options

Cutting down on packaged and prepared foods is always helpful, because if you can make a similar item yourself at home, you have complete control over the ingredients. Especially with items like sodium. But 'processed foods' aren't the debil - like with all foods, how much you eat of them is what really matters. You can consume only organic bananas and bottled water, for example, and still pack on the pounds. There's no magic. There's only CICO. :smile:

Very true. It makes sense for most people to eat more healthy by making as many meals from whole, fresh ingredients as often as possible instead of pre-packaged meals and mixes, but it is almost impossible for most people to cut out all processed foods. I like to say I eat as few "convenience foods" as possible. I make my oatmeal from oats rather than packages. I make pancakes from individual ingredients rather than boxed mixes. I rarely eat a frozen dinner. My taco seasoning is a mix of herbs and spices rather than the high sodium stuff that comes in packets. I don't like the term "clean eating" but I do tend to eat the way many describe. I just don't cut out anything.

Agree with this 100%.

I just hate it when it gets trotted out as some kind of weight-related thing, as I ate that precise same way when gaining weight too. Eating mostly whole foods and cooking at home doesn't protect you from gaining weight (as I'm sure you would agree) any more than eating something sweet after dinner within your calories will ruin a weight loss plan.
  • lemurcat12
    Options
    I came in to this thread to see a "clean eating" debate and now I just want bacon.

Yeah, me too. I want bacon for breakfast instead of my toasted double fiber whole grain bread with butter, which is not clean since I bought it already made instead of grinding my own flour from organic heirloom wheat and milking my own cow to make butter.

This is really the worst thing about this thread.

I had a filthy filthy breakfast of steel cut oats with protein powder and raspberries, cottage cheese (from a local farm) and veggies (lots of processed stuff in that), and now I'm craving bacon, which I do not have so can't even include in lunch.

Oh, well, I'll get past it. ;-)
  • chezzabelle82
    chezzabelle82 Posts: 302 Member
    Options
    I am gonna just carry cal counting and make better choices with food I am sure j will lose the weight I have put on eating biscuits, crisps etc... At some point

• stevencloser
    stevencloser Posts: 8,911 Member
    Options

Sure, I could eat 1600 calories of iceberg lettuce and lose weight, or I could have 1600 calories of some cereal, meats and veggies, eggs, dessert, maybe some McDonalds or other fast food if it fits.