Clean eating here I come.....

Options

Replies

• DeguelloTex
    DeguelloTex Posts: 6,652 Member
    Options
    ndj1979 wrote: »
    I ate a Twinkie once. My other half told me how delicious they were.

He was wrong.

Oh boy was he wrong. It tasted like bath sponge with shaving foam injected into the middle of it.

Shudder.

i fail to see the relevance of this ….

There were so many references to Twinkies and not eating clean that my head sort of exploded.

To the OP... There is nothing wrong with eating less processed food if it makes you feel good inside. Each to their own. :)
    Can you cite a post in which someone, anyone, stated or implied that there was something wrong with eating less processed food if one wants to?
  • NobodyPutsAmyInTheCorner
    NobodyPutsAmyInTheCorner Posts: 1,018 Member
    Options

He was wrong.

Oh boy was he wrong. It tasted like bath sponge with shaving foam injected into the middle of it.

Shudder.

There were so many references to Twinkies and not eating clean that my head sort of exploded.

To the OP... There is nothing wrong with eating less processed food if it makes you feel good inside. Each to their own. :)
    Can you cite a post in which someone, anyone, stated or implied that there was something wrong with eating less processed food if one wants to?

What???? Are you all on something today?

Where did I state that everyone on here has told OP she's wrong to eat less processed food?

Crikey Moses.
  • DeguelloTex
    Options

He was wrong.

Shudder.

Where did I state that everyone on here has told OP she's wrong to eat less processed food?

Crikey Moses.
    The "Each to their own. :)" certainly seems to imply that someone has. I mean, who's the "each" who thinks it's wrong?
    Options

He was wrong.

Shudder.

Crikey Moses.
    The "Each to their own. :)" certainly seems to imply that someone has. I mean, who's the "each" who thinks it's wrong?

Err how's about you stop reading into people's comments too much? I don't eat "clean". So I'm just saying if that's what floats her boat then off she goes.

Honestly I despair with this forum some days. It's not all about jumping on everyone who posts something that you want to misconstrue. I was talking to the OP. No one else.
  • DeguelloTex
    Options

He was wrong.

Shudder.

Crikey Moses.

Err how's about you stop reading into people's comments too much? I don't eat "clean". So I'm just saying if that's what floats her boat then off she goes.

Honestly I despair with this forum some days. It's not all about jumping on everyone who posts something that you want to misconstrue. I was talking to the OP. No one else.
    Well, if you're just saying the same thing that everyone else has said, you could stand to be more clear about it. OP has repeatedly been told that it's fine but not required.
    Options

He was wrong.

Shudder.

Crikey Moses.

Well, if you're just saying the same thing that everyone else has said, you could stand to be more clear about it. OP has repeatedly been told that it's fine but not required.

Sigh.

And I'm out.
  • barbecuesauce
    barbecuesauce Posts: 1,771 Member
    Options
    kshama2001 wrote: »
    Re "convenience foods:" my future mother-in-law sent home a box of Pillsbury Pumpkin Quick Bread for me to make for her.

Ingredients: SUGAR, ENRICHED BLEACHED FLOUR (WHEAT FLOUR, MALTED BARLEY FLOUR, NIACIN, IRON, THIAMIN MONONITRATE, RIBOFLAVIN, FOLIC ACID), WHEAT STARCH, DRIED PUMPKIN, DEXTROSE, CONTAINS 2% OR LESS OF: LEAVENING (BAKING SODA, SODIUM ACID PYROPHOSPHATE, CALCIUM PHOSPHATE), CELLULOSE, CINNAMON, CANOLA OIL, NONFAT DRY MILK, CORN STARCH, SPICES, SALT, PROPYLENE GLYCOL ESTERS OF FATTY ACIDS, DISTILLED MONOGLYCERIDES, CELLULOSE GUM, SODIUM STEAROYL-2-LACTYLATE, YELLOW 5, CITRIC ACID AND BHT (ANTIOXIDANTS), RED 40.

Add milk, oil, eggs

It would have taken just a few minutes more for me to measure out the ingredients and make it from scratch:

Pumpkin Bread I

Makes three 7.5 x 3.5 inch loaves

3 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
    2 teaspoons baking soda
    1 teaspoon baking powder
    3 teaspoons pumpkin pie spice
    1 teaspoon salt
    3 cups white sugar
    1 cup vegetable oil
    4 eggs
    1 (15 ounce) can pumpkin puree
    1/2 cup water

(However, for desserts for myself these days I mostly chose options with less flour and table sugar. Like a dried plum or a few chocolate chips.)

Well, good for you for sticking to processed prunes and processed chocolate chips, but you're using sugar, your all-purpose flour is certainly enriched and could be bleached, there is nothing wrong with wheat starch or dried pumpkin (which is only a little more processed than your canned), dextrose is simply a sugar found in plant tissues like pumpkin, you're using leavening, cellulose is a indigestible dietary fiber that comes from plants and was probably added as a bulking agent, propylene glycol is a preservative found in many products (go into your kitchen, open your cupboards, and start reading), monoglycerides are a lipid and give the bread a soft and chewy texture, sodium stearoyl lactylate is a volumizer that is found in a huge variety of goods (again, open your cupboards), and the food dyes are there because the color has been processed out of the pumpkin. It's not such a scary list after all.
  • Mr_Knight
    Mr_Knight Posts: 9,532 Member
    Options

I find HP is kinda like ketchup with worcestershire and other unidentified stuff. Delicious.

I +1 this description. :drinker:
  • Mr_Knight
    Options
    OP has repeatedly been told that it's fine but not required.

If it's "fine", then there's no need to derail the OP's thread by "repeatedly" telling OP that it's not required.

• Mr_Knight
    Options
    Apparently it's necessary to stick around until someone draws blood. Is that how this works?

Pretty much.

• bronkeekong
    bronkeekong Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    Clean eating to me means no meat. SO yeah... it's meaning is loosely defined.
  • juliebowman4
    juliebowman4 Posts: 784 Member
    Options
    Clean eating to me means no meat. SO yeah... it's meaning is loosely defined.

Clean eating......washing ones fruit and veggies before consuming?
  • DeguelloTex
    Options
    Mr_Knight wrote: »

If it's "fine", then there's no need to derail the OP's thread by "repeatedly" telling OP that it's not required.
    How is multiple people saying the same thing derailing a thread? As opposed to, I don't know, extraneous posts about derailing a thread?

• Mr_Knight
    Options
    Mr_Knight wrote: »

How is multiple people saying the same thing derailing a thread?

Oh my.

• trublutopaz
    trublutopaz Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    If you can, talk to a certified nutritionist. There's a lot of misinformation out there. For example, you only need to go gluten free if you have celiac disease. Also, soy doesn't have all the benefits some claim. I'm allergic to soy and it's in EVERYTHING these days. Find a good farmers' market-it's fun to pick out fruit and veggies and the vendors are very knowledgable on their produce. You can also, for a price, fine organic dairy and eggs, which avoids some of the hormones in animal feed. As for "organic"-that's a loaded word and although legally it has meaning, in the food world it means many different things. :)
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    whmscll wrote: »
    earlnabby wrote: »

Cutting down on packaged and prepared foods is always helpful, because if you can make a similar item yourself at home, you have complete control over the ingredients. Especially with items like sodium. But 'processed foods' aren't the debil - like with all foods, how much you eat of them is what really matters. You can consume only organic bananas and bottled water, for example, and still pack on the pounds. There's no magic. There's only CICO. :smile:

Very true. It makes sense for most people to eat more healthy by making as many meals from whole, fresh ingredients as often as possible instead of pre-packaged meals and mixes, but it is almost impossible for most people to cut out all processed foods. I like to say I eat as few "convenience foods" as possible. I make my oatmeal from oats rather than packages. I make pancakes from individual ingredients rather than boxed mixes. I rarely eat a frozen dinner. My taco seasoning is a mix of herbs and spices rather than the high sodium stuff that comes in packets. I don't like the term "clean eating" but I do tend to eat the way many describe. I just don't cut out anything.

This.

So moderation?

And it is, indeed, very well stated, as were earlnabby's other posts here.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    edited June 2015
    Options

He was wrong.

Shudder.

The only people talking about Twinkies were those tossing out the strawman argument that not "eating clean" (which can mean simply including some Greek yogurt in your day) means eating Twinkies 24/7.

I agree with you about the taste of Twinkies (although I haven't had one since I was 10, so maybe I'd like it better now, who knows), but that still doesn't mean that someone who likes them and chooses to occasionally include them in their overall balanced, nutrient-rich diet has sacrificed their health. I have different ideas of what I prefer my indulgences to be, that's all.
  • blwasson73
    blwasson73 Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    There's a great magazine called Clean Eating that has good recipes. Focuses on whole food ingredients and minimal processed items. Good luck!