Can you have too much protein?

Options

Replies

• PeachyCarol
    PeachyCarol Posts: 8,029 Member
    Options
    lemurcat12 wrote: »
    I often have a tomato of yogurt. What's your problem, blankiefinder!

:-)

Well, I've heard of tomatoes stuffed with cottage cheese before, but yogurt?

I'm having trouble imagining that particular taste sensation ;-)

• bronkeekong
    bronkeekong Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    We were never meant to eat as much protein as we do now. Look at documentaries on Food, look at photos of people in the 1800's etc. I think it's harmful in the long run.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    What do photos of people in the 1800s tell us?

Also, re "we were meant"--by whom?
  • FitForL1fe
    FitForL1fe Posts: 1,872 Member
    Options
    We were never meant to eat as much protein as we do now. Look at documentaries on Food, look at photos of people in the 1800's etc. I think it's harmful in the long run.

thanks for the tip, Dr. Speculation
  • missiontofitness
    missiontofitness Posts: 4,074 Member
    Options

No.
  • senecarr
    senecarr Posts: 5,377 Member
    Options
    Ah yes, I too like to take advice from an era when most of the world was malnourished. I'm also looking for ways to increase my risk of cholera and dysentery. Any helpful hints on getting unvaccinated for polio?
  • senecarr
    Options
    Pretty sure whenever I had to go to the 1800s recreations for field trips, the guy doing the lumberjack recreations would always mention lumberjacks getting at LEAST 1 pound of meat per day, horse or cow depending what died. So, yeah, even your creative anachronism has some holes in it as far as actual history, let alone science.
  • missiontofitness
    missiontofitness Posts: 4,074 Member
    Options
    senecarr wrote: »
    Pretty sure whenever I had to go to the 1800s recreations for field trips, the guy doing the lumberjack recreations would always mention lumberjacks getting at LEAST 1 pound of meat per day, horse or cow depending what died. So, yeah, even your creative anachronism has some holes in it as far as actual history, let alone science.

Not to mention, the Irish lost their main staple food during the potato famine, and most families couldn't even afford to eat well. And let's not get started on the mass poverty that existed when New York and Boston began to get settled by a mass exodus of immigrants.

1800s are not a good example of prosperity and good nutrition.
  • juggernaut1974
    juggernaut1974 Posts: 6,212 Member
    Options

What was the life expectancy in the 1800s? Like 60?

Logic fail.
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options

Strong logic.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    I still want to know what the photos prove.

Here are some of my ancestors from the 1800s:

cnaard1fpl0t.jpg
    jlbudlp3ommu.jpg
    t3i3jns2iq9b.jpg

Too much protein, too little protein, or just right?
  • jessef593
    jessef593 Posts: 2,272 Member
    Options
    Yeah there would be a lot more than just 10% carbs. If you guys truly want to live healthy fit lives you need a balance of all 3 macros. Fats especially, meaning poly and monounsaturated fats. You know nuts, avocados, fish. And why rice cakes? Go for a lower glycemic carb if you goal is weight loss, try quinoa or wild rice instead of that processed crap. Just weight for those head aches, loss of energy, and feeling of your body shutting down from protein overdose.
  • FitForL1fe
    edited June 2015
    Options
    jessef593 wrote: »
    Yeah there would be a lot more than just 10% carbs. If you guys truly want to live healthy fit lives you need a balance of all 3 macros. Fats especially, meaning poly and monounsaturated fats. You know nuts, avocados, fish. And why rice cakes? Go for a lower glycemic carb if you goal is weight loss, try quinoa or wild rice instead of that processed crap. Just weight for those head aches, loss of energy, and feeling of your body shutting down from protein overdose.

54716352.jpg

I'm getting 250g protein a day

lul
  • IsaackGMOON
    IsaackGMOON Posts: 3,358 Member
    Options
    draznyth wrote: »

54716352.jpg

PWOTEEN OVERDOWS
  • FitForL1fe
    Options
    draznyth wrote: »

54716352.jpg

PWOTEEN OVERDOWS

srs I thought gamma raez maed teh Hulk but I guess it was teh proteenz
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options

Wut????
  • jessef593
    jessef593 Posts: 2,272 Member
    Options
    You guys are clearly in educated. Look it up. Yeah I eat 225g a day, but if your diet consists of strictly protein it will *kitten* your entire system up, a guy above me even said so. It starts to damage your kidneys. I'm glad the Catholic Church had to step in on this one to show that only they are right and anyone educated persons must be wrong, going to tell me the world is flat or how it's at the centre of the universe next? Wanna shut me down on your ability to overdose on water as well?
  • senecarr
    edited June 2015
    Options
    You guys are clearly in educated. Look it up. Yeah I eat 225g a day, but if your diet consists of strictly protein it will *kitten* your entire system up, a guy above me even said so. It starts to damage your kidneys. I'm glad the Catholic Church had to step in on this one to show that only they are right and anyone educated persons must be wrong, going to tell me the world is flat or how it's at the centre of the universe next? Wanna shut me down on your ability to overdose on water as well?
    If your whole diet is protein, you'll have issues not from protein, but not having the fats needed to create hormones. You'd almost have to be setting out to make that happen.
    Now, very technically, if you switched to almost all protein, the first days would be hard on the liver and kidneys as they'd have to ramp up producing the enzymes that breakdown protein and turn it into an energy source. This is known as rabbit starvation. It has next to nothing to do with any diet eaten by anyone who has internet access - this is pretty much being in wilderness having access only to incredibly lean meat.

• FitForL1fe
    Options

lol what are you even talking about

yeah, we all think eating a 100% protein diet is completely safe

you caught us