For those who think weight lifting is "boring"

Options

Replies

• short_nerdy_lady
    Options
    More scared than anything. I threw out my back once dont want to repeat that
  • redheaddee
    redheaddee Posts: 2,005 Member
    Options
    I agree. I find cardio much more boring than lifting, but lifting is intimidating. Particularly in a public setting when you're new to the concept. I don't like lifting at my gym unless my husband is with me (ostensibly 'spotting', but really blocking me from other people. I get way self conscious).

Try doing hip thrusts in a gym full of testosterone fueled men. If you can do that, you can do ANYTHING.
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    <judgement on>
    Straight up, if you find lifting boring, it's because your trying to find a "plausible" excuse to be lazy.

Knock it off.
    <judgement off>

That's makes a pretty big assumption that everyone who finds it boring doesn't do it. And like most assumptions, it's not true.
  • dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,951 Member
    Options
    <judgement on>
    Straight up, if you find lifting boring, it's because your trying to find a "plausible" excuse to be lazy.

Knock it off.
    <judgement off>

That's makes a pretty big assumption that everyone who finds it boring doesn't do it. And like most assumptions, it's not true.

You can go with that marketing position. I'll go with mine. yours is decidedly more friendly and inviting.
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options
    <judgement on>

Knock it off.
    <judgement off>

You can go with that marketing position. I'll go with mine. yours is decidedly more friendly and inviting.
    I noticed you ignored my response. :flowerforyou:
  • holothuroidea
    holothuroidea Posts: 772 Member
    Options
    I agree. I find cardio much more boring than lifting, but lifting is intimidating. Particularly in a public setting when you're new to the concept. I don't like lifting at my gym unless my husband is with me (ostensibly 'spotting', but really blocking me from other people. I get way self conscious).

Try doing hip thrusts in a gym full of testosterone fueled men. If you can do that, you can do ANYTHING.

I sometimes have trouble with form on squats/good mornings/rdl's because I feel self conscious about purposefully sticking my *kitten* way out in a room full of young and attractive shirtless dudes.

Takes a while to get over that.
  • sugaree1202
    sugaree1202 Posts: 184 Member
    Options
    <judgement on>

Knock it off.
    <judgement off>

So if a person finds lifting boring, but does it anyway, is that person lazy?

I'm not seeing how an individual's opinion of an activity is realted to laziness. If a person uses resistance bands or their own body weight to strength train instead of weights, are they lazy too? I'm trying to understand your statement, it doesn't make sense.
  • MsPudding
    MsPudding Posts: 562 Member
    Options
    I'm trying to understand your statement, it doesn't make sense.

I don't think it's likely to anytime soon. It's basically one of those 'you're dissing something I love, therefore you're crap' statements. Not a lot of logic to it, but lots of angst.
  • sugaree1202
    sugaree1202 Posts: 184 Member
    Options
    I'm trying to understand your statement, it doesn't make sense.

I don't think it's likely to anytime soon. It's basically one of those 'you're dissing something I love, therefore you're crap' statements. Not a lot of logic to it, but lots of angst.

I figured as much but didn't want my post to come off as offensive or sarcastic :) I am interested in why the poster thinks people that find weights boring are lazy, just, you know, for ****s n giggles
  • JNick77
    JNick77 Posts: 3,783 Member
    Options
    Straight up:

Either you don't really know how to do it effectively or you're moving too slow and lack intensity.

Lots of people that I've taken on who felt it was boring say it's because they don't move enough, they don't "sweat" like they do when they do cardio, or they don't like repetition (lol, like running or doing an elliptical or dance class doesn't have repetitive movements).

HIIT training. Gasp for air. Push that weight with serious effort. Short rest between sets.

The results will speak volumes on boredom.

A.C.E. Certified Personal/Group FitnessTrainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

Good tip, although I don't even know that you have to do HIIT. I think if you're pushing yourself hard, whether it's through interval training or really pushing the intensity on the basic lifts you won't be bored. Especially once you start seeing results. I've heard similar comments about boredom and it's usually from people that don't know what they're doing and/or aren't eating properly to accommodate results.
  • JesterMFP
    JesterMFP Posts: 3,596 Member
    Options
    <judgement on>

Knock it off.
    <judgement off>
    That doesn't make much sense. I've been lifting heavy for over a year and have always found it boring. I still do it, because the results are worth it. What has that got to do with laziness or excuses? Surely "lazy" is when you only do things you enjoy doing.
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    Straight up:

Either you don't really know how to do it effectively or you're moving too slow and lack intensity.

Lots of people that I've taken on who felt it was boring say it's because they don't move enough, they don't "sweat" like they do when they do cardio, or they don't like repetition (lol, like running or doing an elliptical or dance class doesn't have repetitive movements).

HIIT training. Gasp for air. Push that weight with serious effort. Short rest between sets.

IDEA Fitness member

Good tip, although I don't even know that you have to do HIIT. I think if you're pushing yourself hard, whether it's through interval training or really pushing the intensity on the basic lifts you won't be bored. Especially once you start seeing results. I've heard similar comments about boredom and it's usually from people that don't know what they're doing and/or aren't eating properly to accommodate results.

These posts are so odd. What does results or intensity have to do with boring? Digging an irrigation ditch for a garden is boring. It's also intense exercise that produces good results. But it's still boring.
  • Azdak
    Azdak Posts: 8,281 Member
    Options
    Straight up:

IDEA Fitness member

These posts are so odd. What does results or intensity have to do with boring? Digging an irrigation ditch for a garden is boring. It's also intense exercise that produces good results. But it's still boring.

It seems some people are too insecure to just enjoy their own exercise program. They need public acclamation and validation that their choices make them better than everyone else.
  • pjp1125
    pjp1125 Posts: 313
    Options
    I love lifting. For me it is a huge part of my life. I've been at the same gym for 8 years, work out with the same guys and look forward to it. I love the camaraderie. It is 90 minutes of me time. On the rare occasions when I work out alone, I put my headphones and get into my own little zone.

Most importantly? Nothing makes an activity more exciting than seeing the results. If you lift and stick to it, you will love it too.
  • selina884
    selina884 Posts: 826 Member
    Options
    I am the other way around

I find running boring and lifting fun
  • dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,951 Member
    Options
    <judgement on>

Knock it off.
    <judgement off>
    That doesn't make much sense. I've been lifting heavy for over a year and have always found it boring. I still do it, because the results are worth it. What has that got to do with laziness or excuses? Surely "lazy" is when you only do things you enjoy doing.

That's ok, you're a unicorn.
  • MsPudding
    MsPudding Posts: 562 Member
    Options
    It seems some people are too insecure to just enjoy their own exercise program. They need public acclamation and validation that their choices make them better than everyone else.

Isn't that the truth!

I really don't get all this 'exercise one-upmanship'. Different exercises have different benefits, different levels of intensity, impact or non-impact, inside or outside, individual or group, requiring different levels of equipment, or none at all. Isn't it totally bloody natural that people will have their preferences? My friend loves spin classes, I can't stand them. I love swimming; she hates getting her hair wet.

The bottom line is that many of the big health problems we have in the West are because we are becoming more sedentary and we're all told to move about more. The reality is that if the activity is something people enjoy then they're far more likely to keep doing it for life than if it's an activity they hate but feel obligated to do.

Flinging accusations of laziness at people who don't happen to like one form of exercise, but do another is churlish. I'd also say that as the site is called My Fitness Pal and not Bodybuilding.com, such comments are totally out of place because ALL exercise should be encouraged and celebrated.
  • JesterMFP
    JesterMFP Posts: 3,596 Member
    Options
    <judgement on>

Knock it off.
    <judgement off>

That's ok, you're a unicorn.
    Good argument.
  • Timshel_
    Timshel_ Posts: 22,841 Member
    Options
    Translate "bored" as "scared." There are a ton of folks on here who have never done anything physical EVER. That's the bigger hurdle to overcome.

Or change weight lifting to strength training with body weight and resistance actviities, actually doing something preceived as 'fun' and not so repetitive. That is probably where most people get bored. I know I do. So i take it to the track.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,604 Member
    Options
    Or possibly could be having some people think why some exercise programs bore them and give them different insight? Honestly, I think that running on a treadmill is pretty monotonous and boring (which is why I don't do it) but running outside isn't. It's still running, but different approaches.

IDEA Fitness member