Replies

• JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    edited June 2015
    Options
    auddii wrote: »
    ceoverturf wrote: »
    JoRocka wrote: »
    I'm always confused/amused at how being allowed to eat sugar and all over foods in moderation = a diet completely laden with pure sugar.

eating sugar =/= 2000 calories daily allowance of calories in the forum of twinkies.
    Much like eating a diet that includes protein does not automatically mean all I do is eat rabbit's I have personally caught by hand and skinned myself. Like extremes- they aren't necessary!

Cause, ya know, the sneaky evil hidden sugars, the pesky processed sugars, and the sugars that just plain look at me wrong. What is sugar looking at? Really? Mind your own business, sugar!

Just look at those shifty eyes.

shifty-eyed-cupcakes.gif

Some other body part - not eyes - is what I see.

*retrieves mind from gutter*

I'm glad I'm not the only one that went there...

if I could see it- I'm sure I would have gone there too... because I pretty much live "there".
  • FitForL1fe
    FitForL1fe Posts: 1,872 Member
    edited June 2015
    Options
    CJsf1t wrote: »
    draznyth wrote: »
    5246be41c3519.gif

I am laughing so hard at this, I had my lil one look up at me a little alarmed :smiley:

5246be41c3519.gif

stole it from @asflatasapancake lul
  • FitForL1fe
    FitForL1fe Posts: 1,872 Member
    edited June 2015
    Options
    OdesAngel wrote: »
    my dietitian put me on a no sugar diet, and for good reason. As you eat sugar, it turn to glucose, that includes white bread, sugar, alcohol ect. and you can become insulin resistant. Other things that can happen from eating these kinds of foods are:

its very bad for your teeth
    can over load your liver
    fatty liver disease (i have that)
    sugar can give you cancer
    sugar promotes fat, due to the effet on the brain and hormones
    highly addictive
    leading contributor to obesity
    raises cholesterol and risk heart disease

info from my dietitian and this website
    http://authoritynutrition.com/10-disturbing-reasons-why-sugar-is-bad/

No reputable dietitian would ever put someone on a 'no sugar' diet because unless you aren't eating fruits and vegetables, you are eating sugar. Chances are you saw a NUTRITIONIST who fed you this bologna. You've been seriously brainwashed.

You don't become insulin resistant simply by eating bread, sugar, and alcohol. It's much more complicated than that.

You don't get cancer from eating sugar, either.

Sugar doesn't cause obesity. Obesity is caused by overconsumption of ALL types of food.

You have fatty liver disease because you are almost 250 lbs overweight; not because you ate sugar.

yea well

tumblr_lvcm3ftozF1qbunx5.gif

I'm feenin for a donut. Also, in

stole this from a mod :naughty:
  • mattyc772014
    mattyc772014 Posts: 3,543 Member
    Options
    CJsf1t wrote: »
    5246be41c3519.gif

I am laughing so hard at this, I had my lil one look up at me a little alarmed :smiley:

5246be41c3519.gif

stole it from @asflatasapancake lul

If I may add. :)
    8ljh82aeezej.gif

• MamaBirdBoss
    MamaBirdBoss Posts: 1,516 Member
    Options
    I cut out all gluten and dairy almost a year ago due to medical reasons. It helped reduce my cholesterol a lot, as well as fix a bunch of other problems I was having. However, my glucose was still high and my bloodwork still shows increasing inflamation. So my doctor recently recommended I cut out most sugars as well. She suggested I read " Sugar Impact Diet" by JJ Virgin. I'm only on day 2 of it, but so far, it's good. I'm a huge sugar addict and I'm not even missing it yet. So it you really need to reduce sugars, it may be worth looking into.

http://www.amazon.ca/JJ-Virgins-Sugar-Impact-Diet/dp/1455577847

"Drop 7 Hidden Sugars, Lose Up to 10 Pounds in Just 2 Weeks"

I'm sorry, but I'm calling BS.

Anything that says "Lose XX lbs in x weeks!" is always pure *kitten* and is just trying to sell you their product to make more money.

I wouldn't be surprised if your doctor is on consignment.

I am not a fan of the author's push about losing weight quickly, either. And my reason for doing the diet is much more about getting my glucose down than it is losing weight. I have a lot of diabetes in my family, with both grandparents on my dad's side dying of heartacks in their 40's. I'm certain they had undiagnosed diabetes, based on my memories of them and the symptoms they showed. And diabetes does lead to increased risk of heart attacks. And I had gestational diabetes about 14 years ago. I'm in my early 40's now. So anything I can do to get out of the pre-diabetes range is good. My doctor actually recommended this book to me because another of her patients started following the diet on her own and had great success. She isn't making any money off this book. They sell some health books (including cookbooks) at the doctor's office and this isn't even available there. The original poster asked for diet plans to follow that limit sugar, and although this one doesn't get rid of all sugar, it does limit them in a way that doesn't cause as much withdrawal.

Um. You really, really need a new doctor. One who has a clue about nutrition.

Absolutely not. I've been seeing this doctor for almost a year now and she has managed to lower my bad cholesterol, increase my good cholesterol, lower my blood pressure, increase my vitamin D and iron, and for the first time in my life, I can go out without worrying about needing a bathroom nearby. And she's done this all primarily with diet changes. I started seeing her because my last doctor just kept giving me more meds. The last straw was when that doctor prescribed a statin for me and insisted I continue taking it even when it caused me extreme muscle soreness. I stopped taking that statin and switched doctors. Now my cholesterol is at the low end of normal. The proof is in the pudding. I'm keeping my doctor.

I am surprised by how much negativity is on these boards. Yesterday was my first time checking them out. I saw this no sugar post and wanted to see if others were trying to reduce sugar, too, thinking it would be nice to connect with others in the same boat. Then I commented on the diet plan my doctor has me on because that's what the original poster asked for. I have tried just monitoring my food intake for years, using MFP to log everthing I ate, and while I lost some weight, I still had numerous medical issues. I doubt that I am alone in this. Criticizing people because something different works for them is NOT supportive. What works for one person doesn't always work for others.

What you're talking about is not going to work for anyone other than the deficit it creates. It's crackpot nonsense.

• elcollins24
    elcollins24 Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    ndj1979 wrote: »
    I'm replacing the fruit snacking with jerky, turkey burgers & eggs. No calorie reduction. My body just doesn't seem to metabolize sugar like I want it to.
    I'm just saying that this is what works for me & I'm sticking to it. Under my doctors recommendation & supervision.

Thank you!!! When we find something that works for us, we would be wrong not to stick with it. Especially when our doctors agree.

sorry, but you don't violate the laws of math and physics just because you think you do.

I violate the laws of maths and physics on a daily basis. Being generally awesome and all.
  • Alluminati
    Alluminati Posts: 6,208 Member
    Options
    my dietitian put me on a no sugar diet, and for good reason. As you eat sugar, it turn to glucose, that includes white bread, sugar, alcohol ect. and you can become insulin resistant. Other things that can happen from eating these kinds of foods are:

can over load your liver
    highly addictive

No reputable dietitian would ever put someone on a 'no sugar' diet because unless you aren't eating fruits and vegetables, you are eating sugar. Chances are you saw a NUTRITIONIST who fed you this bologna. You've been seriously brainwashed.

You don't become insulin resistant simply by eating bread, sugar, and alcohol. It's much more complicated than that.

Sugar doesn't cause obesity. Obesity is caused by overconsumption of ALL types of food.

You have fatty liver disease because you are almost 250 lbs overweight; not because you ate sugar.

yea well

I saw that. He will be sugar thread cat now.
    tongue.gif
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options
    ndj1979 wrote: »
    I'm replacing the fruit snacking with jerky, turkey burgers & eggs. No calorie reduction. My body just doesn't seem to metabolize sugar like I want it to.
    I'm just saying that this is what works for me & I'm sticking to it. Under my doctors recommendation & supervision.

Thank you!!! When we find something that works for us, we would be wrong not to stick with it. Especially when our doctors agree.

sorry, but you don't violate the laws of math and physics just because you think you do.

I violate the laws of maths and physics on a daily basis. Being generally awesome and all.

highly doubtful
  • CJsf1t
    CJsf1t Posts: 414 Member
    Options

can over load your liver
    highly addictive

yea well

Yeah I saw it on that other thread lol :smiley:

• Ironmaiden4life
    Ironmaiden4life Posts: 422 Member
    Options
    Jimmies have been rustled and LOL's have been had. Best thread ever......

Now where's all the bullet proof coffee drinkers :smiley:
  • professionalHobbyist
    professionalHobbyist Posts: 1,316 Member
    Options
    ko45oqu6lbw0.jpg

Starbucks Bold

Probably not impervious to bullets
  • fionasic
    fionasic Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I don't think you have to worry about no sugar - just try and eliminate added (refined) sugar and be mindful of the amount of natural sugars you are eating. Because of the way the body processes added sugar, eating it makes you feel hungry again a few hours later. It also leaves you feeling sluggish. Long term it can cause diabetes and a variety of other health issues.

Added sugars are in the obvious things like cakes, cookies, brownies, ice cream and most cereals, and are also in things like ketchup, bbq sauce and some salad dressings, as well as being in some canned foods. You can either read all the labels and avoid anything that has sugar (or fructose, high fructose corn syrup, cane sugar, sucrose, any word ending in ose, etc) listed as one of the main ingredients, or you can make everything from scratch.

Natural sugars are metabolized differently in your body - they are in a lot of fruits and also in some vegetables like yams and parsnips. To lose weight, try and stick to less than 16 grams of sugar a day from all sources or limit yourself to one or two pieces of sweet fruit a day. For long term health, eat a variety of fruit and vegetables every day, rather than always eating the same thing, and continue to limit the refined sugars.

As other people have said, losing weight is about calories - eating less than you burn. 500 per day less will equate to a weight loss of about a pound a week. But if you are going to limit what you eat, then you will be able to eat more and feel more satisfied if you choose natural foods without added sugar.

• lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    fionasic wrote: »
    Because of the way the body processes added sugar, eating it makes you feel hungry again a few hours later. It also leaves you feeling sluggish.

The diabetes point has been addressed, so I'll just focus on this one.

It demonstrably does not have the effect in all doses and combinations for everyone. Indeed, I suspect it doesn't for most if you are sensible about how you eat it. I don't find that eating some sugar makes me feel hungry a few hours later--if I eat a sweet food after a meal, for example, the meal does not become less satiating. Nor does eating some ice cream after dinner make me sluggish. Now, I expect that if I replaced a sensible meal of some protein, veggies, and other filling foods with a piece of cake I'd be hungry sooner (which might not be a big deal anyway--I don't tend to have a problem with being unable to wait until my next meal due to hunger), but that's why sensible people probably don't do that very often. (Also, I'm not really a cake fan--I'm definitely pie on the cake/pie divide--but cake can actually be pretty filling, since it typically can be really rich (overrich often, which is why it's not usually my favorite) and have lots of fat. But if you are a volume eater, definitely not a great choice.)

I'm also unclear on how adding some sugar to a rhubarb sauce causes the sauce to have a different effect than some homemade apple sauce with no added sugar (but the same total sugar). For what it's worth, I've become obsessed with using rhubarb in savory applications this year, so haven't added sugar to it once (I bake so rarely these days that I never add sugar to anything lately), but the idea that one should fear the effects of a teaspoon of sugar if not present "naturally" is just bizarre. It doesn't have that many calories and for most normal people will have no meaningful effect.
  • juggernaut1974
    juggernaut1974 Posts: 6,212 Member
    Options
    ko45oqu6lbw0.jpg

Starbucks Bold

I think the cardboard sleeve that protects your fingers from getting burned also doubles as a bulletproof jacket.
  • Ironmaiden4life
    Ironmaiden4life Posts: 422 Member
    Options
    ceoverturf wrote: »
    ko45oqu6lbw0.jpg

Starbucks Bold

I think the cardboard sleeve that protects your fingers from getting burned also doubles as a bulletproof jacket.

:smiley: lol I think you're right
  • smuffin1966
    smuffin1966 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Background: I had gastric sleeve surgery 2.5 years ago. I lost 75 pounds and couldn't seem to lose another pound. Since March I've gained 15 pounds because I got off the program of high protein, low carb, low fat. Biggest problem was craving-to-the-point-of-obsession carbs before being able to fall asleep. The surgery is a tool, but you can still eat high calorie foods and you can still eat a lot (grazing). Now trying to reverse that trend.

How? I am trying to eliminate much of the sugar in my diet. Why? Because when I eat high carb/sugar filled foods, I crave them even more...kind of like an addiction. When I am on a "binge," I feel terrible (headaches, fatigue, foggy brain). Not all sugar is bad, but I need to get a handle on the cravings which means cutting sugar out completely for a time. What it looks like is a low carb diet; definitely nothing that is primarily sugar like candy, bread and starches. I still eat A LITTLE FRUIT, but I need to get back on the program. So, the meal plan is high protein, "good" fats like olive and coconut oil, and lots of veggies. I absolutely agree that you need something that is sustainable, but many of us are just intolerant of sugar. I'm not jumping on the "gluten free" band wagon, but it's a bit of a psychological thing for me. Sugar = comfort, when I'm stressed I crave sugar, when I eat sugar I gain weight, then I feel bad because I wasted time and money on surgery. THAT's why I'm trying to cut sugar from my diet.

Now to answer the initial question, I am doing it by willpower to skip high carb foods. Stevia is a good replacement in some things, avoid aspartame (Equal) because it encourages the craving for sweets. Breakfast is a protein drink, lunch is usually a salad, dinner is protein plus veggie. Snacks are usually packaged protein bars but be sure to read the label and not defeat yourself with big carbs. General goals are 90g protein and 1200 calories a day until I lose about 20 lbs, then I'll return to nutritionist for new goals that are sustainable. Think of this as a jumpstart to a long term health plan. But I've got to get rid of the obsessive cravings first.
  • JustSomeEm
    JustSomeEm Posts: 20,212 MFP Moderator
    Options
    Well, I'm happy to have given you guys some entertainment. I'll be using boring text from now on. :'(
    derailed.jpg

Therefore remaining closed.

Community Guidelines are located here.
This discussion has been closed.