No Sugar Diet

Options

Replies

• brianpperkins
    brianpperkins Posts: 6,124 Member
    Options
    I am so
    I cut out all gluten and dairy almost a year ago due to medical reasons. It helped reduce my cholesterol a lot, as well as fix a bunch of other problems I was having. However, my glucose was still high and my bloodwork still shows increasing inflamation. So my doctor recently recommended I cut out most sugars as well. She suggested I read " Sugar Impact Diet" by JJ Virgin. I'm only on day 2 of it, but so far, it's good. I'm a huge sugar addict and I'm not even missing it yet. So it you really need to reduce sugars, it may be worth looking into.

http://www.amazon.ca/JJ-Virgins-Sugar-Impact-Diet/dp/1455577847

"Drop 7 Hidden Sugars, Lose Up to 10 Pounds in Just 2 Weeks"

I'm sorry, but I'm calling BS.

Anything that says "Lose XX lbs in x weeks!" is always pure *kitten* and is just trying to sell you their product to make more money.

I wouldn't be surprised if your doctor is on consignment.

I am not a fan of the author's push about losing weight quickly, either. And my reason for doing the diet is much more about getting my glucose down than it is losing weight. I have a lot of diabetes in my family, with both grandparents on my dad's side dying of heartacks in their 40's. I'm certain they had undiagnosed diabetes, based on my memories of them and the symptoms they showed. And diabetes does lead to increased risk of heart attacks. And I had gestational diabetes about 14 years ago. I'm in my early 40's now. So anything I can do to get out of the pre-diabetes range is good. My doctor actually recommended this book to me because another of her patients started following the diet on her own and had great success. She isn't making any money off this book. They sell some health books (including cookbooks) at the doctor's office and this isn't even available there. The original poster asked for diet plans to follow that limit sugar, and although this one doesn't get rid of all sugar, it does limit them in a way that doesn't cause as much withdrawal.

Um. You really, really need a new doctor. One who has a clue about nutrition.

Absolutely not. I've been seeing this doctor for almost a year now and she has managed to lower my bad cholesterol, increase my good cholesterol, lower my blood pressure, increase my vitamin D and iron, and for the first time in my life, I can go out without worrying about needing a bathroom nearby. And she's done this all primarily with diet changes. I started seeing her because my last doctor just kept giving me more meds. The last straw was when that doctor prescribed a statin for me and insisted I continue taking it even when it caused me extreme muscle soreness. I stopped taking that statin and switched doctors. Now my cholesterol is at the low end of normal. The proof is in the pudding. I'm keeping my doctor.

I am surprised by how much negativity is on these boards. Yesterday was my first time checking them out. I saw this no sugar post and wanted to see if others were trying to reduce sugar, too, thinking it would be nice to connect with others in the same boat. Then I commented on the diet plan my doctor has me on because that's what the original poster asked for. I have tried just monitoring my food intake for years, using MFP to log everthing I ate, and while I lost some weight, I still had numerous medical issues. I doubt that I am alone in this. Criticizing people because something different works for them is NOT supportive. What works for one person doesn't always work for others.

I am so with u on this one. I feel like one of the only people on mfp that doesnt believe they know everything. I know what works for me but i'm happy to let others crack on with whatever works for them. Theres way too much negativity and way too much condescension! None of us are perfect or we wouldnt be here. This is a free place to discuss ideas...

Let's discuss ideas and facts. The entire avoid gluten rage is countered by the fact that the science supports that there is no need for those not suffering from Celiac's to avoid it ... the sugar is the devil crowd tries to claim that the same chemical compound, processed identically within the body, has differing impacts based on its source; sugar from an orange is fine but the same sugar from Pixie Stix is somehow evil. Reading through the list of medical issues attributed to sugar in this thread is hysterical once you look at the sources of those rants ... it's even funnier when the links people cite counter their claims.
  • elcollins24
    elcollins24 Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    I am so
    I cut out all gluten and dairy almost a year ago due to medical reasons. It helped reduce my cholesterol a lot, as well as fix a bunch of other problems I was having. However, my glucose was still high and my bloodwork still shows increasing inflamation. So my doctor recently recommended I cut out most sugars as well. She suggested I read " Sugar Impact Diet" by JJ Virgin. I'm only on day 2 of it, but so far, it's good. I'm a huge sugar addict and I'm not even missing it yet. So it you really need to reduce sugars, it may be worth looking into.

Anything that says "Lose XX lbs in x weeks!" is always pure *kitten* and is just trying to sell you their product to make more money.

I am not a fan of the author's push about losing weight quickly, either. And my reason for doing the diet is much more about getting my glucose down than it is losing weight. I have a lot of diabetes in my family, with both grandparents on my dad's side dying of heartacks in their 40's. I'm certain they had undiagnosed diabetes, based on my memories of them and the symptoms they showed. And diabetes does lead to increased risk of heart attacks. And I had gestational diabetes about 14 years ago. I'm in my early 40's now. So anything I can do to get out of the pre-diabetes range is good. My doctor actually recommended this book to me because another of her patients started following the diet on her own and had great success. She isn't making any money off this book. They sell some health books (including cookbooks) at the doctor's office and this isn't even available there. The original poster asked for diet plans to follow that limit sugar, and although this one doesn't get rid of all sugar, it does limit them in a way that doesn't cause as much withdrawal.

Absolutely not. I've been seeing this doctor for almost a year now and she has managed to lower my bad cholesterol, increase my good cholesterol, lower my blood pressure, increase my vitamin D and iron, and for the first time in my life, I can go out without worrying about needing a bathroom nearby. And she's done this all primarily with diet changes. I started seeing her because my last doctor just kept giving me more meds. The last straw was when that doctor prescribed a statin for me and insisted I continue taking it even when it caused me extreme muscle soreness. I stopped taking that statin and switched doctors. Now my cholesterol is at the low end of normal. The proof is in the pudding. I'm keeping my doctor.

I am surprised by how much negativity is on these boards. Yesterday was my first time checking them out. I saw this no sugar post and wanted to see if others were trying to reduce sugar, too, thinking it would be nice to connect with others in the same boat. Then I commented on the diet plan my doctor has me on because that's what the original poster asked for. I have tried just monitoring my food intake for years, using MFP to log everthing I ate, and while I lost some weight, I still had numerous medical issues. I doubt that I am alone in this. Criticizing people because something different works for them is NOT supportive. What works for one person doesn't always work for others.

I am so with u on this one. I feel like one of the only people on mfp that doesnt believe they know everything. I know what works for me but i'm happy to let others crack on with whatever works for them. Theres way too much negativity and way too much condescension! None of us are perfect or we wouldnt be here. This is a free place to discuss ideas...

Let's discuss ideas and facts. The entire avoid gluten rage is countered by the fact that the science supports that there is no need for those not suffering from Celiac's to avoid it ... the sugar is the devil crowd tries to claim that the same chemical compound, processed identically within the body, has differing impacts based on its source; sugar from an orange is fine but the same sugar from Pixie Stix is somehow evil. Reading through the list of medical issues attributed to sugar in this thread is hysterical once you look at the sources of those rants ... it's even funnier when the links people cite counter their claims.

Were you in hysterics yeah?
  • WinoGelato
    WinoGelato Posts: 13,454 Member
    Options
    Kruggeri wrote: »
    J72FIT wrote: »
    I really don't know why people insist on making this harder than it needs to be. Life is filled with opportunities to eat cake and cookies. Finding a way to enjoy them in moderation seems like the obvious path to long term success to me.
    Probably because some people lack the motivation and willpower to moderate their food intake. Having extreme rules about what they should and should not eat takes the decision making out of the equation for them therefore helping with compliance. The catch is, eventually your body's cravings will win that battle if you abstain for long enough and that usually leads to a binge, guilt and failure...

That's fair, I just wish more people would acknowledge that rather than blaming the food group. Sugar didn't make you fat. Too much sugar didn't even make you fat. Too many calories made you fat.

I think we all know who is at fault here. Katie Couric. And the Dutch.
    I really don't know why people insist on making this harder than it needs to be. Life is filled with opportunities to eat cake and cookies. Finding a way to enjoy them in moderation seems like the obvious path to long term success to me.
    Probably because some people lack the motivation and willpower to moderate their food intake. Having extreme rules about what they should and should not eat takes the decision making out of the equation for them therefore helping with compliance. The catch is, eventually your body's cravings will win that battle if you abstain for long enough and that usually leads to a binge, guilt and failure...

That's fair, I just wish more people would acknowledge that rather than blaming the food group. Sugar didn't make you fat. Too much sugar didn't even make you fat. Too many calories made you fat.

How did the Dutch get pulled into this? I'm fine with it, I just need to know if I need to burn all my orange clothes.

All those Dutch are pretty sneaky and aren't to be trusted. And Katie Couric just flat out smells.

Totally joking, just in case you haven't caught it yet.

I agree, the Dutch are always sneaking in all those extra vowels into words, it is really annoying.

• hellsbell
    hellsbell Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    To answer the original question, both I and my father have tried cutting out added sugar and sugary food e.g. breakfast cereals, jam, condiments like ketchup, shop-bought pasta sauce etc., out of our diets in the recent past (1-2 years ago).

Some background info: me - late 30's, my father - late 70's. Both of us already had fairly good diets in terms of eating in moderation - I was eating at a small deficit as I wanted to drop a few pounds, and my father has always watched what he ate due to (genetic) high cholesterol. Otherwise he is and always has been very slim. For both of us, cutting out added sugar was more like an experiment to see if anything positive would happen. Well, if you believe what you read on the internet, and you shouldn't, it can have miraculous effects.

My experience after 3 months:
    Weight loss - steady (but I maintained the same deficit throughout so not a surprise)
    Increased energy - nope
    Better sleep - nope
    Clearer skin - nope
    More mentally alert/ better powers of concentration - nope

My father's experience after 4 months:
    Weight loss - 3-4 pounds (possibly my father created a small deficit by cutting out added sugar as he is not aware of having made any other dietary change)
    Increased energy - nope
    Better sleep - nope
    Clearer skin - nope

However. Since his late thirties my father has been having regular blood tests to monitor his cholesterol levels. In addition, for some years now he has been participating in a medical trial for a new arthritis medication. Consequently he gives blood samples very regularly. After a couple of months on reduced sugar, he noticed that one of his blood numbers (can't remember which one), typically at the higher end of normal, showed a reduction for the first time in 30 years. I didn't get a before and after blood test.

Anyway, this was our experience for what it's worth. I confess I was a little disappointed; I was looking forward to the mad energy levels and laser focus the internet told me I would have. Incidentally, the only thing I have found that improved my energy levels and concentration significantly? EXERCISE. Specifically, exercising to the point of exhaustion 3-4 times per week. Those results do feel kind of miraculous.

Sorry for the long post.
  • juggernaut1974
    juggernaut1974 Posts: 6,212 Member
    Options

30f11b95ba9502f2b58297798f30407463c261ccc26b412a220040f7a4f2ca8b.jpg
  • snickerscharlie
    snickerscharlie Posts: 8,578 Member
    Options
    I'm Dutch. I'm succinct. I shower. 'Nuff said.

B)
  • auddii
    auddii Posts: 15,357 Member
    Options
    hellsbell wrote: »
    To answer the original question, both I and my father have tried cutting out added sugar and sugary food e.g. breakfast cereals, jam, condiments like ketchup, shop-bought pasta sauce etc., out of our diets in the recent past (1-2 years ago).

Some background info: me - late 30's, my father - late 70's. Both of us already had fairly good diets in terms of eating in moderation - I was eating at a small deficit as I wanted to drop a few pounds, and my father has always watched what he ate due to (genetic) high cholesterol. Otherwise he is and always has been very slim. For both of us, cutting out added sugar was more like an experiment to see if anything positive would happen. Well, if you believe what you read on the internet, and you shouldn't, it can have miraculous effects.

My experience after 3 months:
    Weight loss - steady (but I maintained the same deficit throughout so not a surprise)
    Increased energy - nope
    Better sleep - nope
    Clearer skin - nope

My father's experience after 4 months:
    Weight loss - 3-4 pounds (possibly my father created a small deficit by cutting out added sugar as he is not aware of having made any other dietary change)
    Increased energy - nope
    Better sleep - nope
    Clearer skin - nope

However. Since his late thirties my father has been having regular blood tests to monitor his cholesterol levels. In addition, for some years now he has been participating in a medical trial for a new arthritis medication. Consequently he gives blood samples very regularly. After a couple of months on reduced sugar, he noticed that one of his blood numbers (can't remember which one), typically at the higher end of normal, showed a reduction for the first time in 30 years. I didn't get a before and after blood test.

Anyway, this was our experience for what it's worth. I confess I was a little disappointed; I was looking forward to the mad energy levels and laser focus the internet told me I would have. Incidentally, the only thing I have found that improved my energy levels and concentration significantly? EXERCISE. Specifically, exercising to the point of exhaustion 3-4 times per week. Those results do feel kind of miraculous.

Sorry for the long post.
    With the name hellsbells, I'm thinking you need a Dresden user pic instead of Riker...

Also, awesome detailed response.
  • brianpperkins
    brianpperkins Posts: 6,124 Member
    Options
    I am so

I almost fell out of my chair laughing at some of the fallacies posted in this thread. Then I remembered that the diet industry depends upon the same demographic that kept P.T. Barnum in business. It's always the latest must eat or avoid all together plan ... based on limited correlation, not causation ... hyped to sell products.

Can you name one person made fat by sugar and not by individual dietary choices?
  • staceyseeger
    staceyseeger Posts: 783 Member
    Options
    I did the 21 Day Sugar Detox back in December & lost 13lbs. I have continued it religiously. My sugar sources are from my veggies, fruit is limited to 1-2 green bananas after hard workout & a square of 90% dark chocolate a couple times a week. I'm not restricting my sugar intake on purpose...I just don't crave it anymore.
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,139 Member
    Options
    I am so

I almost fell out of my chair laughing at some of the fallacies posted in this thread. Then I remembered that the diet industry depends upon the same demographic that kept P.T. Barnum in business. It's always the latest must eat or avoid all together plan ... based on limited correlation, not causation ... hyped to sell products.

Can you name one person made fat by sugar and not by individual dietary choices?

LOL ..wait, so the people fear mongering sugar and pining every known disease known to man on sugar consumption are just having a discussion; but those of calling them out for it and saying absent a medical condition there is no reason to avoid sugar are being hysterical???

wow, never change MFP, never change...
  • ndj1979
    Options
    I did the 21 Day Sugar Detox back in December & lost 13lbs. I have continued it religiously. My sugar sources are from my veggies, fruit is limited to 1-2 green bananas after hard workout & a square of 90% dark chocolate a couple times a week. I'm not restricting my sugar intake on purpose...I just don't crave it anymore.

so your replaced calorie dense food with less calorie dense food and lost 13 pounds? Great, but sugar had nothing to do with it.
  • staceyseeger
    Options
    ndj1979 wrote: »

so your replaced calorie dense food with less calorie dense food and lost 13 pounds? Great, but sugar had nothing to do with it.

Nope, the only things I cut out of my diet was daily fruit & coconut sugar in my coffee. I have followed the Paleo lifestyle for the past 2.5 years & have managed to maintain my loss. I wanted to drop a few stubborn pounds around my mid section & while I know you can't spot reduce - the 13 lb loss has helped me get close.

• juggernaut1974
    Options

Nope, the only things I cut out of my diet was daily fruit & coconut sugar in my coffee.

How is that not reducing your daily calories?
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    @auddii I have had similar benefits from increasing exercise.
  • staceyseeger
    Options
    I'm replacing the fruit snacking with jerky, turkey burgers & eggs. No calorie reduction. My body just doesn't seem to metabolize sugar like I want it to.
    I'm just saying that this is what works for me & I'm sticking to it. Under my doctors recommendation & supervision.
  • juggernaut1974
    Options
    ceoverturf wrote: »

30f11b95ba9502f2b58297798f30407463c261ccc26b412a220040f7a4f2ca8b.jpg

This guy gets my reference. I've used it a few times. I don't even know any Dutch people. I love everyone. And no one. Carry on with the sugar is evil thread.

I'm cool like that
  • mommy2TandN
    mommy2TandN Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I'm replacing the fruit snacking with jerky, turkey burgers & eggs. No calorie reduction. My body just doesn't seem to metabolize sugar like I want it to.
    I'm just saying that this is what works for me & I'm sticking to it. Under my doctors recommendation & supervision.

Thank you!!! When we find something that works for us, we would be wrong not to stick with it. Especially when our doctors agree.
  • ndj1979
    Options

Nope, the only things I cut out of my diet was daily fruit & coconut sugar in my coffee. I have followed the Paleo lifestyle for the past 2.5 years & have managed to maintain my loss. I wanted to drop a few stubborn pounds around my mid section & while I know you can't spot reduce - the 13 lb loss has helped me get close.

so you kept eating at maintenance and lost 13 pounds?
  • J72FIT
    J72FIT Posts: 5,948 Member
    edited June 2015
    Options
    So basically you lowered your calories by lowering your carb intake thereby creating an adequate deficit to cut stubborn fat...
    IMO, 1-2 green bananas after a hard workout does not cut it but to each his or her own...
This discussion has been closed.