No Sugar Diet

Options

Replies

• J72FIT
    J72FIT Posts: 5,948 Member
    Options
    I'm replacing the fruit snacking with jerky, turkey burgers & eggs. No calorie reduction. My body just doesn't seem to metabolize sugar like I want it to.
    I'm just saying that this is what works for me & I'm sticking to it. Under my doctors recommendation & supervision.
    How did you measure?
  • Alluminati
    Alluminati Posts: 6,208 Member
    edited June 2015
    Options
    I'm replacing the fruit snacking with jerky, turkey burgers & eggs. No calorie reduction. My body just doesn't seem to metabolize sugar like I want it to.
    I'm just saying that this is what works for me & I'm sticking to it. Under my doctors recommendation & supervision.

How do you know that's not the reason? You don't even log in your diary?
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,139 Member
    Options

Thank you!!! When we find something that works for us, we would be wrong not to stick with it. Especially when our doctors agree.

sorry, but you don't violate the laws of math and physics just because you think you do.
  • staceyseeger
    staceyseeger Posts: 783 Member
    Options

Thank you!!! When we find something that works for us, we would be wrong not to stick with it. Especially when our doctors agree.

Absolutely. It's been a long, bumpy road to my success. I have had to figure things out on my own. And I am still learning new things every day. OP, you'll find something that works for you.- don't give up.
  • cjazz72
    cjazz72 Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    I didn't give up on sugar completely. What I did was I set my sugar intake to the guidelines of ADA daily intake for guys to 45 grams (or 9 teaspoons). I try to limit my sugars to that guideline and bought products that were low in sugar and remove sugar to things I consciously add. Like for example I got french vanilla coffee and a creamer with low sugar. I also do is drink a lot of water to flush out my taste buds of any sweetness. So far it has helped curve my sugar cravings and I have noticed a drop in body fat.

Mind you I do have slip ups every so often but I don't go over 100 grams whenever I do. It will suck for the first three days but after that you'll find that you will feel significantly better.
  • ndj1979
    Options
    cjazz72 wrote: »
    I didn't give up on sugar completely. What I did was I set my sugar intake to the guidelines of ADA daily intake for guys to 45 grams (or 9 teaspoons). I try to limit my sugars to that guideline and bought products that were low in sugar and remove sugar to things I consciously add. Like for example I got french vanilla coffee and a creamer with low sugar. I also do is drink a lot of water to flush out my taste buds of any sweetness. So far it has helped curve my sugar cravings and I have noticed a drop in body fat.

Mind you I do have slip ups every so often but I don't go over 100 grams whenever I do. It will suck for the first three days but after that you'll find that you will feel significantly better.

if you go over 100 grams of sugar and are in a calorie deficit for the day, will you still lose weight?
  • staceyseeger
    Options
    OdesAngel wrote: »

No, I quit logging in my diary some time ago. I counted calories & points for 2 years. Again, what worked for me was to Eat Clean & eat until I was full. Success doesn't mean that you have logged every single morsel every day, follow the perfect macros, log exercise calories burned & swear by it, just because MFP has it listed. Success is being able to admit that you've been defeated many times, but it has only made you stronger. This is me. And I have been successful at what worked for me because I am satisfied with my accomplishments.

I am contributing to what has worked for me. And give the OP other options to look at. I know I was appreciative when receiving advice that led to success.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    cjazz72 wrote: »
    I didn't give up on sugar completely. What I did was I set my sugar intake to the guidelines of ADA daily intake for guys to 45 grams (or 9 teaspoons).

That's added sugar, for the record.

Quite different from the "no sugar" concept.

At this point you have no reason to think OP is going over 100 grams in sugar or 45 grams in added sugar or any such numbers.
  • WinoGelato
    WinoGelato Posts: 13,454 Member
    Options

No, I quit logging in my diary some time ago. I counted calories & points for 2 years. Again, what worked for me was to Eat Clean & eat until I was full. Success doesn't mean that you have logged every single morsel every day, follow the perfect macros, log exercise calories burned & swear by it, just because MFP has it listed. Success is being able to admit that you've been defeated many times, but it has only made you stronger. This is me. And I have been successful at what worked for me because I am satisfied with my accomplishments.

I am contributing to what has worked for me. And give the OP other options to look at. I know I was appreciative when receiving advice that led to success.

But the point is that you don't know that it is the cutting out sugar that lead to your weight loss, if you aren't tracking calories. You may empirically believe that, but without tracking the calorie intake before and after, you can't definitively say that you were eating the same amount of calories, just less sugar, and lost weight. Science doesn't work that way.

Also, I have no issue with people contributing what works for them. I was appreciative of finding out that I didn't HAVE to cut out foods in order to lose weight, that I could simply eat the foods I enjoy in a calorie deficit and be successful. That is advice that leads to success that I think many people, when the light bulb goes off, are truly appreciative of.

• ndj1979
    Options

the problem with your "advice" is that it is not based on science. If you reduce sugar and keep eating in a surplus, or maintenance, you are not going to lose weight. So if a newbie, or someone else, comes in here and sees your post and thinks "hmm, all I have to do is cut sugar out and not track calories and I will lose weight" then if they try that and continue to over eat they will not lose, and will be further behind the eight ball.
  • Alyssa_Is_LosingIt
    Alyssa_Is_LosingIt Posts: 4,696 Member
    Options
    Kruggeri wrote: »

But the point is that you don't know that it is the cutting out sugar that lead to your weight loss, if you aren't tracking calories. You may empirically believe that, but without tracking the calorie intake before and after, you can't definitively say that you were eating the same amount of calories, just less sugar, and lost weight. Science doesn't work that way.

Also, I have no issue with people contributing what works for them. I was appreciative of finding out that I didn't HAVE to cut out foods in order to lose weight, that I could simply eat the foods I enjoy in a calorie deficit and be successful. That is advice that leads to success that I think many people, when the light bulb goes off, are truly appreciative of.

Yes, all of the above.

It sounds like you replaced some less satiating foods with some more satiating foods, causing you to eat less food overall. Which is great.

However, it's not because your body defies physics. It's ultimately because you're eating less calories.
  • staceyseeger
    edited June 2015
    Options
    :/
  • staceyseeger
    edited June 2015
    Options
    ndj1979 wrote: »

the problem with your "advice" is that it is not based on science. If you reduce sugar and keep eating in a surplus, or maintenance, you are not going to lose weight. So if a newbie, or someone else, comes in here and sees your post and thinks "hmm, all I have to do is cut sugar out and not track calories and I will lose weight" then if they try that and continue to over eat they will not lose, and will be further behind the eight ball.

I never said that I was a professional giving scientific advice. I don't remember the OP asking if there were any doctors on board that were willing to give them advice based on their proven scientific research. I have experience, that's all. I thought that's what these posts were all about...suggestions & advice. Again, like I said, it worked for ME.

Now, I remember why I avoid posting on Message Boards & live in the real world... :/

• lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    Has any one tried a No Sugar diet and been successful? I would like to know what diet strategy you used as reference and guidance.

No, I personally think a "no sugar" diet would be quite unhealthy (it would eliminate fruits, veggies, and dairy, as well as plenty of other nutritious foods, and a basically meat-focused diet, which is what is likely would be, leaves a lot to be desired).

Beyond that, I don't think it would serve any purpose. I do think it makes sense to understand where your excess calories are coming from (if you have problems keeping to your calorie goal or are just starting to reduce your calories) and to make sure that you have an overall nutrient-rich diet, and so cutting down on the quantities of higher-calorie and lower nutrient foods (including those with added sugar which can be a significant part of these for many people) is a sensible thing to do. The beauty of the MFP logging tool, however, is that there's no need--and IMO no benefit at all--to doing any kind of special or fad diet, you can simply see if you are eating lots of sugar and if so cut down on the foods that are contributing it to see if that's helpful to you.

Personally, I did try cutting out added sugar a couple of times. First, when I first started this to help break some emotional eating habits and get used to not snacking at all, and, second, after Christmas to get back on track and see if it helped me get rid of the last few pounds. I haven't found it an especially difficult thing to do short term, but I can't say there were really any benefits either--I find I prefer being able to work some sweets into my diet in moderation.
  • mattyc772014
    mattyc772014 Posts: 3,543 Member
    Options
    To the rescue.
    rcloonoy91qg.gif
    BR.gif 863.1K
  • ndj1979
    Options

I never said that I was a professional giving scientific advice. I don't remember the OP asking if there were any doctors on board that were willing to give them advice based on their proven scientific research. I have experience, that's all. I thought that's what these posts were all about...suggestions & advice. Again, like I said, it worked for ME.

Now, I remember why I avoid MFP & live in the real world...

You are giving incorrect advice based on an experience that you assume is real, when in fact it is not.

Therefore, some of us have no choice but to correct the record for others that are new to losing weight and trying to learn.
  • North44
    North44 Posts: 359 Member
    edited June 2015
    Options
    I cut out all added sugar for a month a year or so ago. I did it to support my daughter who wanted to try it. I cut out cake, cookies, candy, ice cream, anything with what I considered added sugar. I still ate fruit, drank milk, etc.

This is what happened: nothing.

I lost no weight, had no more energy, felt no better or differently. I didn't have any particular expectations.

At the end of the month I went back to eating normally. End of story.
  • staceyseeger
    Options

Now, I remember why I avoid MFP & live in the real world...

You are giving incorrect advice based on an experience that you assume is real, when in fact it is not.

Therefore, some of us have no choice but to correct the record for others that are new to losing weight and trying to learn.

More power to you...have a great day!
  • snickerscharlie
    snickerscharlie Posts: 8,578 Member
    edited June 2015
    Options
    My sugar sources are from my veggies, fruit is limited to 1-2 green bananas after hard workout...
    Green bananas are nasty! :o

Carry on...
  • alfiedn
    alfiedn Posts: 425 Member
    Options
    I didn't read all this, but I see no reason to follow a low sugar/low carb diet unless you must. I must and it is hard! That being said, it is impossible to cut all sugar from your life. There are sugars in vegetables and nearly everything you eat. In order to lower it, you should set a guideline for what is an acceptable amount for you. I'm low-er in carbs (not low by some standards) and low in sugars. I regularly eat around or under 20 g sugars a day and under 100 carbs. This is not a style of eating that is sustainable or necessary for most. If it isn't sustainable for you and you have no medical need to do it, then it won't be a successful weight loss tool.
This discussion has been closed.