Can't gain muscle on diet. What??

Options
I've seen this a few times today. It makes no sense. I am losing weight and I know for a fact I am getting stronger. My muscles seem to be growing too getting larger and more firm.
Why is this a common idea? Is there some research on this??

Replies

• br3adman
    br3adman Posts: 284 Member
    Options
    More protein less carbs = muscles
  • isulo_kura
    isulo_kura Posts: 818 Member
    edited June 2015
    Options
    Generally you can't except for some newbie gains if your heavy lifting. What you think is muscles getting bigger is probably just them becoming more visible because you're losing fat. Think of it like this your eating at a calorie deficit to lose weight to build muscle you need something to build with if you're at a calorie deficit there is nothing to build with. It's like trying to build a house with no bricks.

Also to add it really isn't as easy as some people think to build muscle it takes a lot of work with consistent progressive heavy lifting with an adequate diet.
  • aylajane
    aylajane Posts: 979 Member
    Options
    I am sure more science people who know better will come through... but these main points will come out:

1) getting stronger is not the same as gaining muscle. Gaining muscle refers to increasing size, not strength.
    2) muscles appear bigger and more defined when the fat around them disappears. So losing weight makes muscles you already have "show up", not gain.
    3) muscles only "grow" (as in physically bigger) if there is something feeding them - i.e. calories and protein. Take measurements to know if they actually got physcially larger. You need a surplus of calories just like you need a surplus to gain fat. cant make something from nothing, so if burning all your calories, there is nothing left to "grow".
    4) None of that applies in your first few months of lifting heavy. Newbies can actually gain some limited muscle while eating at a deficit. It doesnt last.
  • Michael190lbs
    Michael190lbs Posts: 1,510 Member
    edited June 2015
    Options
    isulo_kura wrote: »
    Generally you can't except for some newbie gains if your heavy lifting. What you think is muscles getting bigger is probably just them becoming more visible because you're losing fat. Think of it like this your eating at a calorie deficit to lose weight to build muscle you need something to build with if you're at a calorie deficit there is nothing to build with. It's like trying to build a house with no bricks.

Also to add it really isn't as easy as some people think to build muscle it takes a lot of work with consistent progressive heavy lifting with an adequate diet.

This!!!

• SideSteel
    SideSteel Posts: 11,068 Member
    Options
    I've seen this a few times today. It makes no sense. I am losing weight and I know for a fact I am getting stronger. My muscles seem to be growing too getting larger and more firm.
    Why is this a common idea? Is there some research on this??

So there's a few things for purposes of clarity here:

Strength adaptations aren't necessarily an indicator of hypertrophy (muscle growth). There's a big neurological component to gaining strength an additionally when we measure strength in a gym we are typically measuring it in the context of executing a skill, so for example measuring the strength in the squat consists of measuring your ability to execute the skill of squatting. My point is that there is a skill component as well.

So there certainly are cases where people get stronger without necessarily gaining muscle.

However, it's also true that people like to take grey area concepts and turn them into black and white concepts and in the case of "you can't gain muscle in a deficit" that's exactly what has happened in my opinion.

There are circumstances where it's possible to gain muscle mass in a deficit. If you're new to lifting, if you're over-fat, if you're a previously experienced athlete returning to training, those changes go up substantially.

But it's not a black and white scenario where you definitely can't gain muscle without a surplus of calories.
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    Getting stronger is not the same thing as gaining physical muscle in terms of size.

There are a few exceptions to this- typically new lifters WILL see some growth- this is not an increases in muscle mass- but neurological adaptation.

Extremely over weight people as well you'll see this.

Older lifts return usually can usually see some gains as well.

But after several months- you cannot gain SIZE on a deficit. and after a while you're going to tape out strength gains on a deficit as well.
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    This gets into a few different issues.

First, increased strength does not necessarily mean increased muscle. Your strength will increase due to neuromuscular adaptations made due to doing an exercise repeatedly.

Second, when you start lifting weights, you will notice your muscles seem to get bigger pretty quickly. This is due to your muscles retaining water to help during the repair process. It's commonly referred to as "pump."

Third, building muscle while in a caloric deficit is difficult but not impossible. It is generally limited to a few distinct groups--overweight beginners (the less overweight you are the less likely it will happen) and returning lifters.

Fourth, women build muscle really slowly even when eating in a caloric surplus. Think 1-2 pounds a month. If you are lucky enough to be building muscle in a deficit, chances are the rate will be slower than that. It's not something that is going to be too noticeable within a short period.
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options
    strength gains do not equal mass gains. So you can train your muscles to be stronger i.e. do more with the same, but this does not mean that you are adding new mass. The term is neuromuscular adaptation, I believe.

you may think that your muscles look bigger, but this is probably from a combination of a) your muscles are retaining water so they look bigger; b) you are losing body fat, which is making existing muscle show.

Those that are new to lifting can experience newbie gains while lifting in a deficit but this usually only lasts about six months to a year.

So if you are new to lifting you may have some newbie gains...

New lifters muscle would be a combination of newbie gains + water retention + less body fat
    Those not new to lifting appearance of muscle = water retention + less body fat

hope that helps.

the only way to truly add appreciate mass is to run a bulk cycle and eat in a caloric surplus.
  • ndj1979
    Options
    br3adman wrote: »

ummm no, that is back wards.

carbs = more muscle
    protein = preserving existing mass
  • paris458
    paris458 Posts: 229 Member
    Options
    so if you eat at a deficit and lift weights you will never get any bigger muscles? but if you eat more to gain muscle wouldnt you also gain back the fat? I am curious as I am trying to get rid of the fat around my middle but I lift weights because I also want to gain muscle. obviously I am not doing too good.
  • SideSteel
    Options
    paris458 wrote: »
    so if you eat at a deficit and lift weights you will never get any bigger muscles?

It depends. If you are very lean and getting leaner, and you're an experienced trainee, it's very unlikely. But that context fits the vast minority of people on this site.

It is also less effective/less efficient compared to eating in a surplus.

but if you eat more to gain muscle wouldnt you also gain back the fat? I am curious as I am trying to get rid of the fat around my middle but I lift weights because I also want to gain muscle. obviously I am not doing too good.

Keep lifting weights. Regardless of whether or not you gain muscle mass while dieting, the act of resistance training will be preservative of muscle meaning you will end up with more muscle at the end of the diet than you would have were you to not lift at all (not lifting on a diet = likely to lose muscle).
  • ndj1979
    Options
    so if you eat at a deficit and lift weights you will never get any bigger muscles? but if you eat more to gain muscle wouldnt you also gain back the fat? I am curious as I am trying to get rid of the fat around my middle but I lift weights because I also want to gain muscle. obviously I am not doing too good.

yes, if you run a bulk you will gain fat and muscle. Typical ration is 1:1 ..so 10 pounds gained will equal 5 pounds of muscle and 5 pounds of fat. You then run a cut to cut the fat off and preserve muscle.
  • DawnEmbers
    DawnEmbers Posts: 2,451 Member
    Options
    To a degree. That's often why people go through bulk/cut cycles. Muscle gain isn't a speedy process. It takes time and effort. Some fat is gained but after the bulk, dropping the fat will make the new "gains" more visible.
  • Michael190lbs
    Michael190lbs Posts: 1,510 Member
    edited June 2015
    Options
    ndj1979 wrote: »

carbs = more muscle

I'm NOT disagreeing with you just curious would you elaborate on this more to educate me?? Thank you I enjoy most of your posts..lol

• paris458
    Options
    as a girl I was a flat stomach which I still have fat because it sticks out so I wouldnt want to gain more fat. but I have real thin arms and legs which I want muscle. so I finding this very confusing on what to do.

*sorry op I just used your thread*
  • discretekim
    discretekim Posts: 314 Member
    Options
    It is really confusing. I think you can gain some muscle on a diet. Especially if you haven't worked out much before.
  • SideSteel
    Options
    It is really confusing. I think you can gain some muscle on a diet. Especially if you haven't worked out much before.

You are correct.
  • SideSteel
    Options
    as a girl I was a flat stomach which I still have fat because it sticks out so I wouldnt want to gain more fat. but I have real thin arms and legs which I want muscle. so I finding this very confusing on what to do.

Continue to monitor your calorie intake, continue to slowly lose weight. Do some resistance training (lift weights).
  • ndj1979
    Options
    ndj1979 wrote: »

carbs = more muscle

I'm NOT disagreeing with you just curious would you elaborate on this more to educate me?? Thank you I enjoy most of your posts..lol

@SideSteel can probably explain this better to me..

but when bulking you want to get majority of cals from carbs because of the insulin spike that they produce, which signals your body to start adding new muscle.

when cutting you want to reduce carbs down and increase protein, because protein will preserve your existing mass.

This is my basic understanding..

I am sure sidesteel can elaborate on the mechanics of it.
  • paris458
    Options
    SideSteel wrote: »

Continue to monitor your calorie intake, continue to slowly lose weight. Do some resistance training (lift weights).

thanks, that is what I am doing now.