Replies

• LolBroScience
    LolBroScience Posts: 4,537 Member
    edited June 2015
    Options
    PeachyPlum wrote: »
    ndj1979 wrote: »
    460mustang wrote: »
    It would seem to me that if you had allot of fat and do heavy lifting that you could gain muscle while eating a deficit. Wouldn't the body use the excess fat to build muscle? Or would it use the excess fat to keep vital organs alive?

If you are referring to an obese beginner that is new to lifting, then yes they would have newbie gains.

However, I do not think that comes from taking excess fat and using it for muscle growth. My understanding is that it just comes from the fact that the muscles have not been using, stimulated, and now are being stimulated so they start to grow...

Is the obese bit relevant? Or just the fact that they're a newbie?

No, either circumstances would allow for it; as well as those who are "retraining". As @SideSteel pointed out as well, it is still possible even in advanced trainees (there are just many factors which must line up) and it is not nearly as optimal as focusing on a total surplus.

Edit - Found there article where Lyle discusses:

http://www.bodyrecomposition.com/fat-loss/size-of-deficit-and-muscle-catabolism-qa.html/

• DvlDwnInGA
    DvlDwnInGA Posts: 368 Member
    Options
    Does it really matter? Lift heavy, eat right, sleep, repeat.

When you are eating in a deficit you lift weights to try to keep the muscle you have. When you are fat, believe it or not you have a lot of muscle under there that carries your fat body around. Have you ever seen an ex fat guy do calf raises. I am an ex fat guy, and I can crush the calf raises.

When you lose weight, unfortunately you lose muscle with the fat. You lift weights to try to combat that and hold onto the muscle that you have.

What you are experiencing is CNS adaptation, and strength gains from working your muscles again in a manner that is making them stronger.

Don't get caught up in worrying about not gaining muscle while eating in a deficit. It is all static. Lift weights, hit your macros and get good sleep and you will keep heading in the right direction. You should be able to do that for awhile before you actually hit the wall and then you will understand how food and lifting effect each other and why people say to gain muscle, you have to eat.
  • mrbyte
    mrbyte Posts: 270 Member
    edited June 2015
    Options
    Hornsby wrote: »
    mrbyte wrote: »
    J72FIT wrote: »
    br3adman wrote: »
    More protein less carbs = muscles
    This is wrong...

I can gain muscle while eating more protein and less carbs. So you cannot say it's wrong. It may not be optimal for most but it's certainly doable. I never eat over 35% carbs. I eat 4300 calories a day on average and I can gain muscle just fine and maintain close to 10% bf.
    that would be 375 grams of carbs. Can't imagine that would ever be considered "less".

The carbs in the average diet is considerably higher than 35%. More in the 50% range.

• jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    jemhh wrote: »
    jemhh wrote: »
    JoRocka wrote: »
    PeachyPlum wrote: »
    It would seem to me that if you had allot of fat and do heavy lifting that you could gain muscle while eating a deficit. Wouldn't the body use the excess fat to build muscle? Or would it use the excess fat to keep vital organs alive?

If you are referring to an obese beginner that is new to lifting, then yes they would have newbie gains.

However, I do not think that comes from taking excess fat and using it for muscle growth. My understanding is that it just comes from the fact that the muscles have not been using, stimulated, and now are being stimulated so they start to grow...

Is the obese bit relevant? Or just the fact that they're a newbie?

From what I understand it is relevant.

or maybe I am wrong and Jo is right? :)

I believe it is relevant. Lyle McDonald phrases it as "overfat beginner." So whether that means obese or simply overweight, it's hard to tell. But it certainly indicates that plain old newbs are not as likely to have muscle gains if they are eating in a deficit.

it would be interesting to see some more literature on this.

Here's his Q&A on it.

thanks, I had previously read that. I meant stuff in addition to it :)

Ah, okay. It's pretty much my fallback article on it. I haven't gotten any of his books to see what else he says.
  • Hornsby
    Hornsby Posts: 10,322 Member
    Options
    This is wrong...

I can gain muscle while eating more protein and less carbs. So you cannot say it's wrong. It may not be optimal for most but it's certainly doable. I never eat over 35% carbs. I eat 4300 calories a day on average and I can gain muscle just fine and maintain close to 10% bf.
    that would be 375 grams of carbs. Can't imagine that would ever be considered "less".

Well..I never eat over that. I usually in the 25% range. Last year I ate in the 15% range to cut and have maintained it so far at 25%

potato - potAto

Still a bunch of carbs, and not sure that is what the original person meant when they said eat "less carbs".
  • mrbyte
    Options
    This is wrong...

Well..I never eat over that. I usually in the 25% range. Last year I ate in the 15% range to cut and have maintained it so far at 25%

potato - potAto

Still a bunch of carbs, and not sure that is what the original person meant when they said eat "less carbs".

Sorry but if someone is eating 15% to 25% that is less carbs considering they could be eating 60%.

• Hornsby
    Hornsby Posts: 10,322 Member
    Options
    This is wrong...

potato - potAto

Sorry but if someone is eating 15% to 25% that is less carbs considering they could be eating 60%.

Thanks. I was unaware that 60% was greater than 15% or 25%.
  • professionalHobbyist
    professionalHobbyist Posts: 1,316 Member
    Options
    You can eat full maintenance calories for 3 days and deficit for four. Or take a week to eat maintenance and lift hard. Then deficit a week.

But at the same moment in time? Not likely.

I do a 3 and 4 split for one week and then diet cardio the next week with moderate lifting.

Over a year and a half I have added 15 or so lbs of muscle and lost around 140 lbs of fat. Net weight loss of 125.

It required paying attention to macros and staying on track.

It has slowed now to a one pound a week loss and a pound a month muscle gain. And I'm happy with that.

The fat coming off emphasizes muscle more than you might expect.

It is a long distance run more than a sprint. Some say to drop down to your desired body fat percentage before working hard on building.

Check Muscle Fitness Her

There is a body type online quiz and it will give you ideas on the best workout strategy for your body type in a general way.

They have lots of sample workouts

Have fun with it!

• mrbyte
    Options
    This is wrong...

potato - potAto

Thanks. I was unaware that 60% was greater than 15% or 25%.

It's all relative.

• 460mustang
    460mustang Posts: 196 Member
    Options

Thanks, I was thinking newbie or like me, it’s been 15 years since I was lifting. I forgot about chemicals and hormones coming into play like testosterone, and insulin. I was trying to simplify things again. Guess I’ll start googling to start learning again, probably been some new studies since the 90’s. Hope I have enough testosterone left to build some muscles when I’m done dieting
  • discretekim
    discretekim Posts: 314 Member
    Options
    Ooh that could be I tend to eat more on the weekends. I didn't even think of that. Glad to have a way to view that as a positive lol. :)
  • rileysowner
    rileysowner Posts: 8,243 Member
    Options
    It is really confusing. I think you can gain some muscle on a diet. Especially if you haven't worked out much before.

None of what has been posted, at least that I read, says differently, that would be newbie gains. They are generally not that substantial and the rate of increase diminishes fairly rapidly. You will maintain the muscle you have better with heavy lifting, and remember carrying around a bunch of extra fat requires muscle.
  • discretekim
    discretekim Posts: 314 Member
    Options
    It is really confusing. I think you can gain some muscle on a diet. Especially if you haven't worked out much before.

None of what has been posted, at least that I read, says differently, that would be newbie gains. They are generally not that substantial and the rate of increase diminishes fairly rapidly. You will maintain the muscle you have better with heavy lifting, and remember carrying around a bunch of extra fat requires muscle.

Yeah that was me summarizing what had been posted so far...
  • jenniejoy07
    jenniejoy07 Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    So, I'm obese (215lbs) and I've been lifting for 2 months now (down 10lbs total)
    My bench has gone from 65lb to 85lb and I've seen increases in all lifts. I am eating a significant calorie deficit depending on the amt of exercise I have that day.

Will there be a point in my weight loss where I have to stop increasing the weight I'm able to lift?
  • mrbyte
    edited June 2015
    Options
    This is wrong...

is 4300 a surplus for you?

Id say it's very close to TDEE or slightly over. I've hit a wall for last three weeks and I think it's caloric driven. I'm at 215 body weight right now.

• senecarr
    senecarr Posts: 5,377 Member
    Options

Thanks, I was thinking newbie or like me, it’s been 15 years since I was lifting. I forgot about chemicals and hormones coming into play like testosterone, and insulin. I was trying to simplify things again. Guess I’ll start googling to start learning again, probably been some new studies since the 90’s. Hope I have enough testosterone left to build some muscles when I’m done dieting
    Normal variances in testosterone won't really make a difference in muscle building.
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    So, I'm obese (215lbs) and I've been lifting for 2 months now (down 10lbs total)
    My bench has gone from 65lb to 85lb and I've seen increases in all lifts. I am eating a significant calorie deficit depending on the amt of exercise I have that day.

Will there be a point in my weight loss where I have to stop increasing the weight I'm able to lift?

In my experience, I did stall out on certain lifts while eating in a deficit. Bench press was the first. Even when I would take a maintenance break and then go back to eating in a deficit bench stalled out first. If I cut too much, it would decrease, but maintaining a smaller deficit allowed me to just stall (no increase/no decrease.) I don't know that that is a universal experience though.