CI/CO vs Clean Eating

Options

Replies

• lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    I weigh daily and you get fluctuations from all kinds of things. I haven't actually noticed huge hits from restaurant food, although I know that's common. The worst thing for me is flying, but I wouldn't say that flying is bad for weight loss, since all I care about for weight loss is fat loss, and I know the pounds that come on from flying are water, not fat.

Same thing with sodium.

Again, I am so confused about how people are using "eating clean" that I'm not sure why anyone thinks it communicates anything understandable.
  • Furbuster
    Furbuster Posts: 254 Member
    Options
    As I said before my views are my own and not of thousands of people. How can they be?

I intensely dislike the phrase dirty eating. No food is dirty - unless they are potatoes etc from the ground that need a scrub.

This is how I see it and how I have seen it for many years - too many lol.

I am tired so excuse my short sentences - pizza is not a non-clean food in my books if I make it myself - wholemeal crust, veggies, EVOO etc. Is that clearer?

I know Amy's Kitchen (although personally I think her portions are way to small and not for me) and yes her foods are organic I believe? I was generalising rather than pointing out brands etc. On the whole fresh contains less additives than pre made which is important for me.

You are entitled to your beliefs and ideas as am I. I try not judged and I hope my words are clear.

• PeachyCarol
    PeachyCarol Posts: 8,029 Member
    Options
    Furbuster wrote: »
    As I said before my views are my own and not of thousands of people. How can they be?

I intensely dislike the phrase dirty eating. No food is dirty - unless they are potatoes etc from the ground that need a scrub.

This is how I see it and how I have seen it for many years - too many lol.

I am tired so excuse my short sentences - pizza is not a non-clean food in my books if I make it myself - wholemeal crust, veggies, EVOO etc. Is that clearer?

I know Amy's Kitchen (although personally I think her portions are way to small and not for me) and yes her foods are organic I believe? I was generalising rather than pointing out brands etc. On the whole fresh contains less additives than pre made which is important for me.

You are entitled to your beliefs and ideas as am I. I try not judged and I hope my words are clear.

You're coming across clearly. I know you're replying to lemurcat, but just wanted to point out that those of us who have issues with people who espouse certain ways of eating don't have issues with all of the people who follow the same path.

As an illustration to understand what goes on around here, look at the example of vegetarians. There are vegetarians who quietly live their lives making their choice an individual one for themselves, and there are those who are all sanctimonious about it. Most omnivores would have no issue respecting the choice of the first type of vegetarian, because the first type of vegetarian, by not commenting negatively about the omnivore's choices, implicitly respects THEIRS. By the same token, the sanctimonious vegetarian opens his mouth and just passes judgement. Well, then the omnivore of course has a choice to ignore him, but if the forum is a discussion on food, why shouldn't the omnivore defend his choice? Especially if it's equally valid scientifically?

Around here, there are no problems with people like you. You eat how you eat, you don't care how other people chose to eat, and everything's cool. The problem is that not everyone who ascribes to your way of eating is as cool about it as you are. Thus, the never ending nonsense on the forums about it.

• lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    You're coming across clearly. I know you're replying to lemurcat, but just wanted to point out that those of us who have issues with people who espouse certain ways of eating don't have issues with all of the people who follow the same path.

Right--I personally dislike the term "clean eating" and don't like it when people claim that you must "eat clean" to eat in a healthy fashion, but I certainly have nothing against people choosing for themselves to eat certain foods and not others. Like I said, I largely eat from whole foods myself, so I might fit your definition of "clean eating" although I dislike the term.

Cool. This is precisely why I dislike the term "clean eating." (Which means that other forms of eating are "unclean" or--in other words--"dirty." I think it's rude.)

The pizza I was referring to was from an Italian restaurant, and I identified the main ingredients (I'm sure it involved olive oil also).
    I know Amy's Kitchen (although personally I think her portions are way to small and not for me)

That's how I feel about most frozen options.
    I was generalising rather than pointing out brands etc. On the whole fresh contains less additives than pre made which is important for me.

My point was that you really can't generalize about anything, not even convenience foods. They vary a lot. There's nothing inherently unhealthy about convenience foods, although nothing wrong with choosing not to eat them. (I never eat frozen meals myself, simply due to personal preference.) I just am going to argue if someone says that convenience foods are necessarily bad.

Usually the way these discussions go is that people say you SHOULD eat "clean" if you care about health and then when asked what that means they have various inconsistent definitions like "no processed foods" or "nothing from a package, ever" when they don't really follow those rules themselves and when they can't explain why these rules are required for health, why eating some ice cream, for example, makes your overall diet bad or unhealthy or will prevent weight loss or improved fitness.

They also like to assert that ice cream is CRAP or toxic or the like, as someone else noted above.
  • PeachyCarol
    Options
    I for one, am so tired of seeing people call what other people eat CRAP.

Now, I think ... is it @Caitwn or @Orphia who has been going around posting the rainbow unicorn poop cookies? If it's unicorn poop, it won't bother my celiac disease, right? I'd eat that kind of crap.
  • Alyssa_Is_LosingIt
    Alyssa_Is_LosingIt Posts: 4,696 Member
    Options
    I have no idea why people feel the need to be "versus" all the time. Isn't MFP about Fitness and Health? A lot on here are calorie counting and can still eat whole foods. Health isn't just about how we look - it's our organs, heart, brain etc...So...

Everyone knows that 1200 calories of fudge is not better for you than 1200 calories of fruit and veg. There is no need to be pedantic and pick holes in every post. But you will still lose weight on that fudge.

Btw ice cream etc isn't an non-clean eating food for a lot of people (like myself) - but ice cream containing a lot of preservatives and additives is. It depends on your mindset and how you see it as far as I am aware.

Be kind and be helpful.

FB

People, by and large, tend to "feel" how they expect they're going to feel when it comes to food. Feels aren't really an accurate metric for an eating plan's efficacy.

This right here^^ is so important in these types of debates. This is why I believe in viewing all foods objectively. If you go into eating a "processed" meal with a preconceived notion that it's going to make you feel fat and sluggish, and you've resigned yourself to that expectation, well, you'll likely feel fat and sluggish.

If you start eating an organic bean sprouts salad with quinoa and wild caught salmon (I have no idea if this stuff goes together, I'm a peasant that can't afford to buy these things, so I don't) with a preconceived notion that it's going to make you feel awesome, it'll likely make you feel awesome.

I try to look at what I'm eating and think of how accomplished I'll feel when these chicken thighs put me at goal for protein for the day, or how tasty the ice cream is going to be and how awesome it'll be when I see that it fits perfectly into my day. It's all just food, it serves more or less the same purpose - why would you add feels to it when there are none?
  • AlabasterVerve
    AlabasterVerve Posts: 3,171 Member
    Options
    lemurcat12 wrote: »
    Again, I am so confused about how people are using "eating clean" that I'm not sure why anyone thinks it communicates anything understandable.

I have no problem understanding clean eating posts and have a very good idea of what the posters who use the term mean.
    It's all just food, it serves more or less the same purpose - why would you add feels to it when there are none?

I never have, and never will, think of food as "just food". I like feeling good about the foods I eat in general and I absolutely love the traditions and memories I associate with food. There would be a pretty big void in my life without them. :smile:
  • Mr_Knight
    Mr_Knight Posts: 9,532 Member
    edited June 2015
    Options

Why?

If you're confident in what you do and the choices you make, it makes zero difference what random people on an anonymous board call "crap" or "good".

It sounds like you may have disordered thinking about food, TBH.

• Mr_Knight
    Options
    Mr_Knight wrote: »

Why?

If you're confident in what you do and the choices you make, it makes zero difference what random people on an anonymous board call "crap" or "good".

Weak flamebait

So you don't know either?

That's cool...

:drinker:
  • kgeyser
    kgeyser Posts: 22,505 Member
    Options

Why?

This seems like a 180 from your statements in the other thread where the writer was "brutally honest." In that thread, you made the case that his way of presenting his position was inappropriate, but here you state that if a person refers to another person's choice of foods as "crap," that the person eating the food has disordered thinking if they find that offensive. Wouldn't it be the same thing here?
  • Mr_Knight
    edited June 2015
    Options
    kgeyser wrote: »

Why?

This seems like a 180 from your statements in the other thread where the writer was "brutally honest." In that thread, you made the case that his way of presenting his position was inappropriate, but here you state that if a person refers to another person's choice of foods as "crap," that the person eating the food has disordered thinking if they find that offensive. Wouldn't it be the same thing here?

I made no comment about *what* people eat or don't eat. I really don't care, and if someone wants to lose weight on 1200 calories of Wagon Wheels or on organic humanured broccoli - it's all the same to me.

I was referring to how they talk about food they eat - and especially about food they don't eat. It seems to me that having strong reactions to what *other* people eat - reactions strong enough to resort to derogatory language - suggests other issues are in play.

And that's fine too - some days I wonder if the internet is just a device to bring "other issues" to the surface. :smile:
  • PeachyCarol
    Options

Why?

That's a reach, even for you.

• Mr_Knight
    edited June 2015
    Options

Why?

That's a reach, even for you.

I have a feeling...not.

Either way, it's all good.

:drinker:
  • FitForL1fe
    FitForL1fe Posts: 1,872 Member
    Options
    I know I can make it

you know you can make it

we can make it

if you get on yo grind
  • Annie_01
    Annie_01 Posts: 3,096 Member
    Options
    Kruggeri wrote: »
    The thing i think is ironic is that in 5 pages of posts, unless I missed it, no one pointed out that the OP.shouldn't be asking about CICO vs Clean Eating for weight loss as if those things are mutually exclusive... since CICO is required for weight loss whether you are eating clean or dirty....

Technically CICO happens no matter what type of eating plan one has. Every breathing creature goes requires and expends energy. So often on these thread people turn CICO in to a specific diet.

Same thing happens with the term IIFYM. Someone that eats "clean" and still use the IIFYM method.

IMO...CICO is required...just to live. I might be wrong though...I often am!

• Annie_01
    Annie_01 Posts: 3,096 Member
    Options

Why?

I agree...I don't really care what some random stranger thinks about what I eat. Not the good, the bad or even the ugly of my food. I really don't care what they eat. I just hope that everyone has enough food to eat regardless of what it is.

IDK...I have read several of PC's posts before...I think she has a grip on her food.

• senecarr
    senecarr Posts: 5,377 Member
    Options
    The answer is no, no they will not.

If someone eats healthily all day long, meets their macro- and micro-nutrient goals for the day, and lives an active and healthy lifestyle, a bowl of ice cream or a couple of cookies at the end of the day is going to have zero effect on health or performance.

@Alyssa_Is_LosingIt -I think it's pretty awesome you know how food affects every single person in this world. By the way, not everyone can just have one bowl of ice cream or a couple of cookies. There is reason why some people need to eat "super clean", just like alcoholics can't have a sip and drug users can't just have one hit/line/etc.
    slideaway1 wrote: »
    On a personal level I agree with this. I physically feel different (usually the day after) between getting my Carb Source from something like a sweet potato (Complex Carb) and veg, to eating Pizza the night before. Some people might not be as sensitive to this though.

This. I agree that some people might not be as sensitive to this but I think those people are far and few. On the other hand, I have realized the higher quality of food someone eats, the more their body rejects lower quality foods. It's like their body doesn't want to tolerate lower quality foods and only wants the good stuff.

Except the idea that alcoholics have to abstain from alcohol for their entire life isn't evidence based - it comes from the religiously founded belief in abstaining from pleasurable things, both because of the culture it was created by and because AA is a religiously founded group.