I get bulky from weights...

Options

Replies

• etoiles_argentees
    etoiles_argentees Posts: 2,827 Member
    Options
    tldr.jpg
    Don't bother. I immediately discount anything which mentions "toning". There's no such thing as "toning" a muscle. You can make it bigger, make it smaller, reveal it by losing the fat covering it, or cover it up by gaining more fat - but you can't "tone" it.

Ohhh... Come on Anvil, I've taken enough exercise science classes to know what "tone" is. This IS MFP. :)
  • holothuroidea
    holothuroidea Posts: 772 Member
    Options
    I guess this depends on what you mean by "bulky." If you have short limbs, small amounts of muscle gain will look larger. My limbs are long in relation to my body, I've never felt like gaining muscle makes them look "bulkier."
    You are confusing being muscular with being inflexible.

They are mutually exclusive.

Uh, no.

Weightlifters are some of the most flexible athletes. Also, have you never seen a gymnast? Srsly.
  • jimmmer
    jimmmer Posts: 3,515 Member
    Options
    If you have short limbs, small amounts of muscle gain will look larger. My limbs are long in relation to my body, I've never felt like gaining muscle makes them look bulkier. If anything they look thinner.

Uh, no.

Weightlifters are some of the most flexible athletes. Also, have you never seen a gymnast? Srsly.

You are agreeing with what I wrote, but you are disagreeing with me?

I don't get it.....
  • etoiles_argentees
    Options
    I can't figure out her point.

Being able to hold tree pose or a head stand is mostly about flexibility and balance, not strength.

My point is functional fitness. I don't equate having a lot of muscle visible with being fit. Just my opinion.
  • holothuroidea
    holothuroidea Posts: 772 Member
    Options
    If you have short limbs, small amounts of muscle gain will look larger. My limbs are long in relation to my body, I've never felt like gaining muscle makes them look bulkier. If anything they look thinner.

Uh, no.

I don't get it.....

You didn't say what you meant, then.

If you say two things are mutually exclusive, it means they can't exist at the same time. You said it's not possible to be inflexible and muscular at the same time. That doesn't make any sense, so I assumed based on context that you meant you couldn't be flexible and muscular at the same time, which is a popular misconception.
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options

Being able to hold tree pose or a head stand is mostly about flexibility and balance, not strength.

My point is functional fitness. I don't equate having a lot of muscle visible with being fit. Just my opinion.
    That has nothing whatsoever to do with the discussion in this thread. I haven't seen one person say yoga isn't useful as an exercise.

Get over yourself.
  • jimmmer
    jimmmer Posts: 3,515 Member
    Options

Uh, no.

I don't get it.....

If you say two things are mutually exclusive, it means they can't exist at the same time. You said it's not possible to be inflexible and muscular at the same time. That doesn't make any sense, so I assumed based on context that you meant you couldn't be flexible and muscular at the same time, which is a popular misconception.

How about:

Being muscular and being flexible aren't mutually exclusive.......

.....I'm sure that makes you happier!
  • thesupremeforce
    thesupremeforce Posts: 1,207 Member
    Options

Being able to do a handstand doesn't automatically equate to being "functionally fit" either. It's absolutely more about balance. Yes, I do yoga, by the way.
  • etoiles_argentees
    Options

Being able to do a handstand doesn't automatically equate to being "functionally fit" either. It's absolutely more about balance. Yes, I do yoga, by the way.

Start doing handstand pushups. ;)
  • etoiles_argentees
    Options

Uh, no.

I don't get it.....

How about:

Being muscular and being flexible aren't mutually exclusive.......

.....I'm sure that makes you happier!

It makes me happy! Thank you. :)
  • vjohn04
    vjohn04 Posts: 2,276 Member
    Options
    i wish this thread would just die already.
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,248 Member
    Options
    I'm all for functional fitness.

There's been many times in my life I've had to lift and carry a heavy object.

There has never been a time in my life that required me to stand on my head.
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options
    I'm all for functional fitness.

There's been many times in my life I've had to lift and carry a heavy object.

There has never been a time in my life that required me to stand on my head.
    You must get some more excitement in your life! lol
  • etoiles_argentees
    Options
    i wish this thread would just die already.

I do too, actually. So does the original poster - "Haha! I appreciate you being positive and supportive. I stopped reading the thread awhile ago. But for the record, I did see the pics of those two girls they posted and no, I do not want to look like that and yes, in my opinion if they had clothes on they'd look bulky. I prefer long and lean. I'm quite aware that I won't get TALLER, but I can look slimmer without as much bulk. Fine, maybe it's not "science" but it's an optical illusion that works for me. HAHA!!! "
  • PriceK01
    PriceK01 Posts: 834 Member
    Options
    I am actually trying to bulk..I must be doing something wrong!

More ice cream!
  • dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,951 Member
    Options

That has nothing whatsoever to do with the discussion in this thread. I haven't seen one person say yoga isn't useful as an exercise.

Get over yourself.

You're off topic, get over yourself!

dont_get_on_the_wrong_side_of_this_cat_640_17-501x560.jpg

This thread has gone on long enough to become a cat thread.
  • LiftAllThePizzas
    LiftAllThePizzas Posts: 17,857 Member
    Options
    squat_nobodycares_zpsf6892d49.gif
  • LiftAllThePizzas
    LiftAllThePizzas Posts: 17,857 Member
    Options
    I just hope the OP knows that if something isn't working for her to do what is best for her. Everyone can say that women don't get bulky by lifting I know that not to be the case and from what the OP said so does she. Do what it best for you and forget the ones who think they know how your body works because that is the "norm".
    Even if she is actually getting "bulky" it is not "lifting has made me bulky" it is "being a genetic freak has made me bulky."
  • Trechechus
    Trechechus Posts: 2,819 Member
    Options
    I looked at a dumbbell once and now I look like Chris Evans.
    < --- See!
  • froggerhkc
    froggerhkc Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    Show me a photo of what you think is "bulky"

I love lifting. Heavy and Low reps.
    Dropping body fat percentages and pant sizes.

After a good season, my jeans are tight for 2 days. As my muscles repair, and hold water.
    This is normal.

It is not mass.

OMG this right here :smooched: :heart: