I get bulky from weights...

Options

Replies

• AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,344 Member
    Options
    ...I guess the guys I lifted with in the sweat pit gym I was working out at before that lifted 500 plus pounds and were HUGE weren't bulking up from the heavy weight lifting they did, only from extra calories??? AND if you think women can't do that, you need to meet some of the fabulous women at my gym...
    Rather than guessing, ask them sometime. Ask them what their diet is like and/or how many calories they're eating while they're trying to put on that hard-earned muscle. I'll guarantee you none of them did it while in a caloric deficit, unless there are/were anabolic steroids involved. So the answer is, they got STRONG from lifting - they got HUGE from taking in more calories than they were expending. Again, science.
    ...There must be some kind of science behind THAT, but really the bottom line is that everyone IS different, even when taking basic scientific knowledge into account, when you look at it as a whole, we haven't even come close to unraveling the secret of the wonderful human body....
    Everyone is NOT different in that nobody can defy the laws of thermodynamics, any more than one can defy the laws of gravity.

"You are not different": http://www.clutchfitness.com/forums/view.php?pg=not-different
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options
    Well, I don't lift much weight other than my body. Yoga and such. I look great. My goal is different than others, I like being strong but lean, sexy in my opinion. Call it shallow if you want, I like looking fantastic. Feminine? yes. Strong? yes. Looks good in clothing and naked? yes.

You mean there's a way to increase strength and look good naked without the discomfort and boredom of lifting weights?

My goodness! :love:

Funny, I seem to remember a topic you started a while back about wanting to start weighted squats as you were not getting what you wanted from bodyweight exercises.

Not saying you cannot without lifting weights, I just find this comment ironic.
  • da_bears10089
    da_bears10089 Posts: 1,791 Member
    Options
    That is curious OP: You describe yourself as "short and curvy" usually building muscle with such genetics leads to something like this: tumblr_mcdj23SPXv1rqlia6o1_500.jpg does this look like a bad "bulky" to you?

there are women who have a more masculine bone structure that tends to get exaggerated with more muscle mass. for reference:

598409_235974579869421_1302222190_n.jpg

(both of these women have been training for years btw and don't seem to be on anabolic steroids so its not possible to look either way by accident.)

so are you sure it was muscle you gained?

bumping because these pictures are amazing... i hope i get to be that "bulky"
  • etoiles_argentees
    etoiles_argentees Posts: 2,827 Member
    Options
    Yoga does fine for me.

4479305.jpg

fit022.jpg

270312_sexyyoga.jpg?w=300&h=165
  • vjohn04
    vjohn04 Posts: 2,276 Member
    Options
    But how can you say it's the food? No change in diet, just what exercises you're doing.

it's the food.
  • bumblebums
    bumblebums Posts: 2,181 Member
    Options
    Yoga does fine for me.

4479305.jpg

fit022.jpg

And here we are again.

Doing yoga will not make you look like Tara Stiles.
    Running marathons will not make you look like people who win marathons.
    Sprinting will not make you look like an elite sprinter.

Unless, that is, that kind of physique is already in your genes.
  • etoiles_argentees
    Options
    Well, I don't lift much weight other than my body. Yoga and such. I look great. My goal is different than others, I like being strong but lean, sexy in my opinion. Call it shallow if you want, I like looking fantastic. Feminine? yes. Strong? yes. Looks good in clothing and naked? yes.

You mean there's a way to increase strength and look good naked without the discomfort and boredom of lifting weights?

My goodness! :love:

Sara, you are correct. I look great now but i like the extra perk my butt gets when I squat :)

Funny, I seem to remember a topic you started a while back about wanting to start weighted squats as you were not getting what you wanted from bodyweight exercises.

Not saying you cannot without lifting weights, I just find this comment ironic.
  • etoiles_argentees
    Options
    You find it ironic? I like lean long legs, don't wan't short squat ones. My preference. Please don't start arguing with me now.
  • MyChocolateDiet
    MyChocolateDiet Posts: 22,281 Member
    Options
    Yoga does fine for me.

4479305.jpg

fit022.jpg

I'm confused? Those look like 3 different women....which one is you?
  • KimLee76
    KimLee76 Posts: 89
    Options
    So for now, I'm doing less work with ab machines than the others and focusing more pilates attention on that region to help lengthen those muscles.
    FYI pilates does not lengthen muscles.

What does then?

EDIT: Oh geez please never mind. I read some of the later responses and didn't realizing we were playing the semantics game.
  • Achrya
    Achrya Posts: 16,913 Member
    Options
    You find it ironic? I like lean long legs, don't wan't short squat ones. My preference. Please don't start arguing with me now.

No amount of weight lifting is going to magically make your legs shorter. If your legs are long I promise they'll stay that way, I promise.
  • bumblebums
    bumblebums Posts: 2,181 Member
    Options

No amount of weight lifting is going to magically make your legs shorter. If your legs are long I promise they'll stay that way, I promise.

Don't be so sure. When I started out, I was 5'9". Now I am a stocky 5'0" with stumpy little legs. I am pretty sure lifting did it.
  • etoiles_argentees
    Options
    and now people wan't to argue with me about what I like my body to look like... guess what ? I already look great, always have. I am fit, healthy and thin, where I'd like to be. You know what Alan said to me when I first sent bikini pics to him a few years ago? "Don't change a thing." In my diet and so on. You all seem to respect him so I'm throwing it out there. I am happy! healthy! thin! It's MY body, and I love it.
  • BeachIron
    BeachIron Posts: 6,490 Member
    Options
    Oh good, this post went the same direction they always go:

1. Someone posts a thread convinced that weight lifting will make you bigger even if you eat at a deficit (ignoring the gym bros that spend years looking exactly the same),
    2. Experienced lifters point out why this is incorrect,
    3. One or more posters who are no where near their goal weights argue this ad nauseum, ignoring good advice from the knowledgable and experienced posters,
    4. Someone posts with the "ewww icky, muscles, I like yoga" comment, and
    5. thread goes to hell.

And that folks, is why many people who know what we're talking about end up posting silly gifs and snarky comments in forum posts with certain questions. It's not worth the headache of actually helping.
  • BeachIron
    BeachIron Posts: 6,490 Member
    Options
    and now people wan't to argue with me about what I like my body to look like... guess what ? I already look great, always have. I am fit, healthy and thin, where I'd like to be. You know what Alan said to me when I first sent bikini pics to him a few years ago? "Don't change a thing." In my diet and so on. You all seem to respect him so I'm throwing it out there. I am happy! healthy! thin! It's MY body, and I love it.

No one cares. You're attention seeking again and showing no interest in actually helping the OP.
  • RECowgill
    RECowgill Posts: 881 Member
    Options
    I wish weights made me bulky... :wink:
  • Achrya
    Achrya Posts: 16,913 Member
    Options

Don't be so sure. When I started out, I was 5'9". Now I am a stocky 5'0" with stumpy little legs. I am pretty sure lifting did it.

Oh gosh, I better stop now. I'm only 5'3" and most of that is leg; I can't afford to lose any! I already can't reach the top shelves in my cupboards!
  • fcf44
    fcf44 Posts: 1
    Options
    Hey,

This is actually not because of lifting weights but rather the type of weightlifting. Crossfit gives you an emaciated and bulky look, yes.

Just like cardio... whether you're walking on an incline, jogging, or sprinting... they will all have very different effects in terms of body composition (what your body looks like) and that includes eating the exact same diet.

I would try lifting weights, starting in the 10 rep range going close to failure by the 10th rep, sometimes reaching it. Take 30-60 seconds rest between each set. Shoot for 15-30 sets (4-6 exercises)... and you will see dramatically different results than crossfit. Also, lots of crossfit exercises do not isolate your muscles, they're compound movements - again, this is going to result in that bulky look that all crossfitters inevitably get.

Do a google search... look at different athletes. That's all the proof you need right there. Look at physique competitors (steve cook, greg plitt ...etc) vs. top crossfit guys (Rich Froning...etc) Crossfit athletes are in GREAT shape. There's no doubt about that. But personally, I don't think the results are visually pleasing. Then you can compare women who do crossfit vs. women who compete in bikini. In a women I think the bikini competitor look is a lot hotter. Of course, it's a personal preference, but it seems like that's what you're after.

So yeah... it's not the weights, but rather the method of training.
  • shutupandlift13
    shutupandlift13 Posts: 727 Member
    Options
    So for now, I'm doing less work with ab machines than the others and focusing more pilates attention on that region to help lengthen those muscles.
    FYI pilates does not lengthen muscles.

What does then?

Nothing aside from surgery.

Can you explain to me why this would even be desirable? How would "longer muscles" help you out?
  • almc170
    almc170 Posts: 1,093 Member
    Options

Oh gosh, I better stop now. I'm only 5'3" and most of that is leg; I can't afford to lose any! I already can't reach the top shelves in my cupboards!
    Oooh, this is most enlightening! Being 5'10" is nice sometimes, but trying to find pants with a 35" inseam does get a little old sometimes. Plus I'm taller than a lot of guys. I'd really prefer to be 5'6. Sounds like I'm on the right track with lifting!