Things people do at the gym, that you hate.

Options

Replies

• Alidecker
    Alidecker Posts: 1,262 Member
    Options
    A lot of the complaints on this make me laugh, while also making me really appreciate my gym.
  • bascha69
    bascha69 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    jaxass wrote: »
    Someone going between 2 weight stations and then telling you "I'm using that" then go to another station. Yeah...NO!

That doesn't work with me and I just take over. It's not YOUR gym. HAHAHA

This has happened to me! I hate it! I take the machine anyway. They can have it back when I'm done!
  • branflakes1980
    branflakes1980 Posts: 2,516 Member
    Options
    ready4_50 wrote: »
    When they stand there and watch you! :confounded:

A lady was touring the gym yesterday and she had her little boy with her. Little man stood there and watched me on the treadmill for a good five straight minutes. It was actually starting to creep me out. He didn't even blink. lol

He could have had autism, or a mental handicap or he could have just been interested in the treadmill because he had never seen one before? Seriously the judginess in this thread is ridiculous. And YES I just said judginess and no I don't care if it isn't a word or if it is or isn't spelled correctly just in case someone wants to go there.

Sounds like someone missed her nap.

Nope, just don't really care for people judging others when they have no clue what these other people go through or what their circumstances are. If I saw a young boy staring at me on a treadmill for 5 minutes straight (because I have small children and I know that they don't have the best attention spans) I would ABSOLUTELY NOT think this child was creepy but thats just me I suppose. And taking a nap has nothing to do with being a decent person. SMDH!

here's an idea. If the thread hurts your sensitivities so much, why do you even bother hanging out here. There's a lot of things in this world that offend me and you know how I handle them? I don't go near them. Then again, that's just me. Maybe I'm the one who's got it wrong. SMDH!!!!!

You mean like the little creepy boy? So calling an innocent child creepy on a public forum = not going near them. Got it. Thank you so much for clearing that up for me.

Aw, get over yourself. I didn't not say "creepy" little boy. I said that I was creeped out a bit and he did seem to have a nice mom and family. I'm am very underwhelmed by your phony outrage Ms. Branflakes.

And I am underwhelmed by your ability as a grown adult to take ownership of the things that you say. And also, I have zero desire to get over myself, I quite like being me, but thank you again for your concern.

But I did not say "creepy child" and will not own up to it. You know, something tells me that you have a long laundry list of things that you like getting pi@@ed off at. You might want to check this one off the list and move on to something else. I'm pretty much done here. You have a nice day!

Ah the internet, and lack of tone when typing. My dear, I am not pi@@ed off at all, and it takes alot to actually pi@@ me off (did I mention I have small children) with that comes the patience of a Champion! LOL! Offended would be a much better word. No sweat off my back at all. You have yourself a wonderful day, and I really hope you don't run into any curious children in your endeavors. :wink:

I happen to be the uncle of 7 nieces and nephews and I helped raise a few of them and I'm God Father to 2 of them, including a niece who is 3 weeks old. So there's no fear of children here.

And I happen to be the aunt of a mentally handicapped niece that would be the one staring at the treadmill for probably a lot longer than 5 minutes creeping you out. And I also did not say anywhere that you were afraid of children, you in fact were the one who said fear. I just said I hope you don't run into any. Cheerio!

So based on this whole little exchange, you've come to this conclusion that I have a hatred of special needs children. Good God woman, you're something else! By the way, if you ever take any exams like the LSAT, the GRE or the GMAT, there's a segment of the exam called "Critical Reasoning" that tests your ability to arrive at a conclusion based on the premise/evidence presented to you. You would fail that section miserably!!!!

DUDE!! Did you miss the very first sentence of the very first reply that I made to your comment? I can repeat it for you. "Maybe the young boy was autistic or had a mental handicap" My point was that judging people is not okay. Most children would not stare at anything for that long because they just don't have that kind of attention span so that is why I was leaning that way. And again, YOU are the one that said "hatred of special needs children" I NEVER once said that. Good lord!

• Serah87
    Serah87 Posts: 5,481 Member
    Options
    I am so glad I have a home gym. :D
  • Mountain_Biker
    Mountain_Biker Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    This has probably already been mentioned but I am not going to sit here and read 9 pages of posts. The thing that infuriates me is when the gym bunnies come in with a full face of makeup, matching everything and take up several treadmills side by side and only walk at 2 mph while talking on their cell phones. Grrrrrrr
  • ladybarometer
    ladybarometer Posts: 205 Member
    Options
    Folks who slam down weights or people who gather on/around machines just to hang out and talk.
    Oh! and when the gym is crowded, and someone reserves a machine while they lift. They leave their stuff on the machines, but are not using it, but they plan to EVENTUALLY. I ask if I can use it and they say no. Those are the same people that hog the weights like it's their personal gym. Learn to sharE!
  • amflautist
    amflautist Posts: 941 Member
    Options
    I hate it when a certain person ahead of me in rotation doesn't wipe her sweat off the eqvuiment. She carries a rag. Thinks a quick swipe is good enuf. Seriously, I do everything possible to not follow her in the rotation!!!
  • jonrenly
    jonrenly Posts: 116 Member
    Options
    When theres an entire line of treadmills/whatever else open and somebody just HAS to take the one immediately next to you.
  • joeboland
    joeboland Posts: 205 Member
    Options
    People who drive to the gym on a beautiful, sunny day to WALK ON THE TREADMILL.
  • _incogNEATo_
    _incogNEATo_ Posts: 4,537 Member
    Options
    I hate it when people at my gym use the weights. I need ALL of them.
  • ladybarometer
    ladybarometer Posts: 205 Member
    Options
    Non_Stop wrote: »
    Non_Stop wrote: »
    I'll be the first to openly admit that I enjoy a lady that nicely fills out some yoga pants (yes I sneak a peek), but I ABHOR guys that leer and make comments to other guys about a good looking woman trying to get her workout in. Not cool fellas, no problem in admiring, but damn be discreet about it.

Discreet is good. We would all be lying if we said we did not look or take notice when someone is fit and looks good (man or woman). However you nor any decent human would not and SHOULD NOT say "if you don't want the attention wear baggie tanks and basketball shorts" No, just no!! Ugh!

Well there's a difference between form fitting athletic gear and slutty athletic gear. I don't think the latter is appropriate and has no place in the gym. Unless your workout involves shagging foul balls.

I do kickboxing and spinning, baggy clothes really get in the way of both of those (I prefer loose clothing, but not when it's not right for the activity or safe) I'm sure no one is looking at me in particular, but it's still frustrating to feel like I'd have to wear something that makes my particular workout more difficult, because someone else can't control theirself.
  • cert709
    cert709 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    The guys that get naked in the locker room and then have long conversations with other naked guys in the locker room. Usually one of them has a leg up on the bench while they lean on their knee and let everything just dangle. Can't un-see that *kitten*.
  • CSARdiver
    CSARdiver Posts: 6,252 Member
    Options
    I only hate two types of people at gyms:

People who are judgmental.

....and people who judge others for being judgmental.
  • gothchiq
    gothchiq Posts: 4,590 Member
    Options
    See all these things are the reason why when we move to the house I am going to be scouring Craigslist, Freecycle and newspaper ads to find equipment on the cheap that people aren't using and are selling off for cheap. I may have a smaller variety of stuff to use, and need to be more creative, but I can totally do that! I can't wait to make the switch. No more machine hogs, no more stinky people, no craptastic music, and no one perving on me except Husband! 2.5 more months.

There is one guy who shows up in jeans and a jacket, and works out in them every time, without even unzipping the jacket. I don't believe said jacket has ever been washed. I don't even know if the DUDE has ever been washed. It's like... you can almost see the cartoon type wavy stink lines coming off of him. X( WHEW.
  • _incogNEATo_
    _incogNEATo_ Posts: 4,537 Member
    Options
    cert709 wrote: »
    The guys that get naked in the locker room and then have long conversations with other naked guys in the locker room. Usually one of them has a leg up on the bench while they lean on their knee and let everything just dangle. Can't un-see that *kitten*.

People who look at my dick in the gym.
  • urloved33
    urloved33 Posts: 3,323 Member
    Options
    amflautist wrote: »
    I hate it when they wear perfume. Good sweat is nice. Smelly perfume is an obnoxious intrusion.

good one thank you
  • moesis
    moesis Posts: 874 Member
    Options
    And if I'm on the bike when they get there, they stand BEHIND me tapping their feet until I move. And when I get off, she just glares at me like I was trespassing on her property. It's so infuriating. I use the bike as a warm up before going on the treadmill, and I want to finish my 20 minutes peacefully. ugh.

If someone did this to me I'd keep using the bike for a full 60 minutes.
  • CJisinShape
    CJisinShape Posts: 1,404 Member
    Options
    joeboland wrote: »
    People who drive to the gym on a beautiful, sunny day to WALK ON THE TREADMILL.

There's a "surprises while jogging" thread that makes treadmill running almost sound appealing.
  • Suzmp88
    Suzmp88 Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    I generally try to phase everything out when I'm at the gym, but:
    - I also don't like when people talk loudly on the phone right next to me.
    - When guys specifically linger really close and face me, seemingly doing nothing.
    - Take up a lane at the gym pool doggy paddling around, standing in one place to do aerobics, or general horsing around i.e. not swimming laps.
  • Hornsby
    Hornsby Posts: 10,322 Member
    Options
    2 things I hate..

When someone is using the weight machines that you want to use but they stop between sets and sit on their cell phone. Like, you don't actually mean to take a 2 minute break do you?? UGH!

& When a guy purposely walks by you while you are using the machines to use the water fountain when there are many other routes CLOSER he could have taken. & he does this repeatedly, after each lift- about 10 times in 20 minutes. Haha.

I generally rest 5 minutes if it's above 80% of my 1rm

Yet another reason why I lift by myself. I admit, I can take a while if the weight is heavier and I've exerted quite a bit of energy.

Or you can be like me and just not give a *kitten* :) That's how I get by. If you don't like me in a tank top, you're wrong anyway.