My thighs have gotten bigger!

Options

Replies

• ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,139 Member
    Options
    http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/comment/33013540#Comment_33013540 < OP I would suggest reading this thread on recomp and going this route.
  • Justthisgirl1994
    Justthisgirl1994 Posts: 226 Member
    Options
    Okay, the link below should take you to 3 pictures I just took of my lower half (front, side and back view). Let me know if it doesn't work. Also, don't be mean please haha.

http://imgur.com/TalpWWq,i8HR6RU,derY06r#2
  • ndj1979
    Options
    Okay, the link below should take you to 3 pictures I just took of my lower half (front, side and back view). Let me know if it doesn't work. Also, don't be mean please haha.

@sunglasses_and_ocean_waves I'll take your apology any second now..

OP - your bottom half is not "big" or "bulky"..

as I suggested you would benefit from a recomp and a heavy lifting program like strong lifts, starting straight, etc...
  • FitForL1fe
    FitForL1fe Posts: 1,872 Member
    edited June 2015
    Options

you are insanely thin

time to start lifting some weights
  • Justthisgirl1994
    Options
    To be honest, I've been thinking about doing legit lifting for a couple of weeks now. Wouldn't it make sense for me to get down to my ideal weight first though? Especially since I'm only a few lbs away and really like the routine I have right now
  • Fujiberry
    Fujiberry Posts: 400 Member
    edited June 2015
    Options
    You look fine! Your legs are actually really thin. Your legs look like mine here on the left.
    I thought I had big thighs then, but it was body dysmorphia talking. They were jiggly and felt big because my legs were under-muscled.

My legs are obv a lot bigger now, but I love them. :) They only got noticeably bigger after I started eating at an aggressive caloric surplus for 9 months and eating 2,500 calories. Your mom probably is just noticing new definition from fat loss, not size.

I don't suggest losing anymore weight. 3 pounds is not going to make much of a difference in your figure. Try recomping or bulking instead. It might help you with body image as well. :) Just speaking from experience.

bstn0ivcnm1h.jpg
  • ndj1979
    Options
    To be honest, I've been thinking about doing legit lifting for a couple of weeks now. Wouldn't it make sense for me to get down to my ideal weight first though? Especially since I'm only a few lbs away and really like the routine I have right now

well you you can, and should, do a recomp where you would slowly lose some fat but also add some muscle. This will improve your overall body composition.

and for the thousandth time you do not need to lose a few more pounds!!!!!!
  • Justthisgirl1994
    Options
    @Fujiberry
    Your legs are amazing!!

@ndj1979
    Okay haha I'll read the thread about recomp you posted earlier.
  • rick_po
    rick_po Posts: 449 Member
    Options
    If you're interested in specific body proportion advice, ignore this. But I'd say you're too skinny in the back of your legs - specifically your hamstrings and glutes. This makes your quads look disproportionately large. But that's an optical illusion. You're actually pretty skinny.

Forget about slimming your quads. They're fine. Work on building hamstrings and glutes.

Search for posterior chain exercises. Start light and progress slowly so you don't injure your back.

By the way, skinny hamstrings are extremely common. It's difficult to target the posterior chain, and sedentary people even lose the ability to use those muscles. You may need special activation exercises before you can make decent progress.

You might benefit from the book "Strong Curves". Even if you don't want that more muscular look and don't want to do the full program, the author does cover muscle activation, which is helpful for just about everyone.

• PikaKnight
    PikaKnight Posts: 34,971 Member
    Options

Honestly, getting to your "ideal weight" isn't going to help your body composition at all. I'd bet quite the opposite at this point. Recomping at maintenance (as was mentioned) is going to be the way to go right now.
  • PikaKnight
    edited June 2015
    Options
    rick_po wrote: »
    If you're interested in specific body proportion advice, ignore this. But I'd say you're too skinny in the back of your legs - specifically your hamstrings and glutes. This makes your quads look disproportionately large. But that's an optical illusion. You're actually pretty skinny.

Forget about slimming your quads. They're fine. Work on building hamstrings and glutes.

Search for posterior chain exercises. Start light and progress slowly so you don't injure your back.

By the way, skinny hamstrings are extremely common. It's difficult to target the posterior chain, and sedentary people even lose the ability to use those muscles. You may need special activation exercises before you can make decent progress.

You might benefit from the book "Strong Curves". Even if you don't want that more muscular look and don't want to do the full program, the author does cover muscle activation, which is helpful for just about everyone.

To point out, a majority of the time the "muscular look" is due to lower body fat % (think around 12-14%) and not due to getting "bulky" (building up additional muscle). Women that are extremely muscular don't get that way by accident and usually without some sort of chemical assistance.
  • hnaquin280
    hnaquin280 Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    I've been working out 5-6x a week for the past 5 weeks. I have just been going to group fitness classes. So a typical week would be:
    Monday - burn class (tabata style cardio and strength intervals)
    Tuesday - definition class (resistance training)
    Wednesday - all terrain spin class
    Thursday - spin and strength class (15 min of weights and body weight exercise)
    Friday - definition class
    Saturday - peak class (volume training intervals, plyometrics, calisthetics and resistance) OR spin and core class

I measure all my food and weigh everything. I always get at least 100g of protein per day. My calorie deficit is set at 1200. I am losing weight. I lost about 8 lbs since I started. I'm 6 lbs away from the weight I used to be (124). I can tell that I've gained a lot of muscle all over (newbie gains!) but my thighs have gotten too big. I love that they're more firm now and that my butt is more lifted than ever before, but I want them to be small and toned, not bulky.

What should I do?? I love my exercise routine. I don't want to give up my classes. I am a very pear shaped btw and there still is fat on my legs that I'd love to lose.

I was thinking that if i just kept on doing what I'm doing the fat would eventually come off and my thighs will get smaller. Idk though.

Don't worry! This happened to me too. Especially when I do a lot of squats. When your muscles tear and try to repair themselves they fill up with water which makes your legs look puffy and way less defined than you'd like. But if you keep pushing it'll eventually go down. My advise if it doesn't get any better would be to try more cardio and less resistance training because that's what creates that puffy look. I was worried at first that I was getting "too bulky" but women really can't get that bulky look without training their *kitten* off and taking steroids. Just keep at it and you'll slim down because the muscle will help burn fat and you'll tone up. As for everyone saying you don't need to lose any weight, forget 'em. People are so judgmental on these community threads. Do what makes you happy and makes you feel as healthy and strong and confident as possible! Good luck!

• ndj1979
    Options
    hnaquin280 wrote: »
    I've been working out 5-6x a week for the past 5 weeks. I have just been going to group fitness classes. So a typical week would be:
    Saturday - peak class (volume training intervals, plyometrics, calisthetics and resistance) OR spin and core class

I measure all my food and weigh everything. I always get at least 100g of protein per day. My calorie deficit is set at 1200. I am losing weight. I lost about 8 lbs since I started. I'm 6 lbs away from the weight I used to be (124). I can tell that I've gained a lot of muscle all over (newbie gains!) but my thighs have gotten too big. I love that they're more firm now and that my butt is more lifted than ever before, but I want them to be small and toned, not bulky.

What should I do?? I love my exercise routine. I don't want to give up my classes. I am a very pear shaped btw and there still is fat on my legs that I'd love to lose.

I was thinking that if i just kept on doing what I'm doing the fat would eventually come off and my thighs will get smaller. Idk though.

Don't worry! This happened to me too. Especially when I do a lot of squats. When your muscles tear and try to repair themselves they fill up with water which makes your legs look puffy and way less defined than you'd like. But if you keep pushing it'll eventually go down. My advise if it doesn't get any better would be to try more cardio and less resistance training because that's what creates that puffy look. I was worried at first that I was getting "too bulky" but women really can't get that bulky look without training their *kitten* off and taking steroids. Just keep at it and you'll slim down because the muscle will help burn fat and you'll tone up. As for everyone saying you don't need to lose any weight, forget 'em. People are so judgmental on these community threads. Do what makes you happy and makes you feel as healthy and strong and confident as possible! Good luck!

@hnaquin280 did you happen to review OP's pictures she posted? I am guessing not...
  • PikaKnight
    Options
    ndj1979 wrote: »
    hnaquin280 wrote: »

@hnaquin280 did you happen to review OP's pictures she posted? I am guessing not...

:laugh:
  • Serah87
    Serah87 Posts: 5,481 Member
    Options

Most definitely your legs are not bulky nor big!!
  • yopeeps025
    yopeeps025 Posts: 8,680 Member
    Options
    SO I'm lost. Where are these 7 pounds on OP ticker going to come from. Water weight?
  • yopeeps025
    yopeeps025 Posts: 8,680 Member
    Options
    Your mom thinks you have bulky legs OP? That speaks a lot from that one comment. Lots can be implied from that.
  • whatatime2befit
    whatatime2befit Posts: 625 Member
    Options
    Let me just say I can't believe you are trying to lose weight. If anything, you should be trying to gain. As others have suggested, start a recomp. But if you think you look big now, I don't know how happy you would be if you actually started to get bigger by building muscle.
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    Let me just say I can't believe you are trying to lose weight. If anything, you should be trying to gain. As others have suggested, start a recomp. But if you think you look big now, I don't know how happy you would be if you actually started to get bigger by building muscle.

What are you basing this on? She is at a healthy weight for her height.
  • whatatime2befit
    whatatime2befit Posts: 625 Member
    edited June 2015
    Options
    jemhh wrote: »

What are you basing this on? She is at a healthy weight for her height.

Sorry, let me clarify...she should be trying to gain/build muscle.

I definitely wouldn't recommend she continue trying to lose. She is already quite slim.