My thighs have gotten bigger!

Options
12346»

Replies

• AsISmile
    AsISmile Posts: 1,004 Member
    Options
    Okay, the link below should take you to 3 pictures I just took of my lower half (front, side and back view). Let me know if it doesn't work. Also, don't be mean please haha.

http://imgur.com/TalpWWq,i8HR6RU,derY06r#2

You have great legs, not big at all. If they truly would be bigger now then they must have been stick straight to begin with.

Currently I'm trying to figure out my TDEE so I can start doing some recomp as well :)
    You'll see in the recomp threads great examples of people that have improved the look of their body while maintaining weight. To me sounds a lot healthier than eating at 1200 while your weight is already okay.

Glad you seem to have gotten a good answer out of this thread eventually.

• yopeeps025
    yopeeps025 Posts: 8,680 Member
    Options
    jemhh wrote: »
    Let me just say I can't believe you are trying to lose weight. If anything, you should be trying to gain. As others have suggested, start a recomp. But if you think you look big now, I don't know how happy you would be if you actually started to get bigger by building muscle.

What are you basing this on? She is at a healthy weight for her height.

:lol: at the selective bold.

• Nuke807
    Nuke807 Posts: 160 Member
    Options
    @Justthisgirl1994 you have a great form, honestly,!
  • hnaquin280
    hnaquin280 Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    ndj1979 wrote: »
    hnaquin280 wrote: »
    I've been working out 5-6x a week for the past 5 weeks. I have just been going to group fitness classes. So a typical week would be:
    Monday - burn class (tabata style cardio and strength intervals)
    Tuesday - definition class (resistance training)
    Wednesday - all terrain spin class
    Thursday - spin and strength class (15 min of weights and body weight exercise)
    Friday - definition class
    Saturday - peak class (volume training intervals, plyometrics, calisthetics and resistance) OR spin and core class

I measure all my food and weigh everything. I always get at least 100g of protein per day. My calorie deficit is set at 1200. I am losing weight. I lost about 8 lbs since I started. I'm 6 lbs away from the weight I used to be (124). I can tell that I've gained a lot of muscle all over (newbie gains!) but my thighs have gotten too big. I love that they're more firm now and that my butt is more lifted than ever before, but I want them to be small and toned, not bulky.

What should I do?? I love my exercise routine. I don't want to give up my classes. I am a very pear shaped btw and there still is fat on my legs that I'd love to lose.

I was thinking that if i just kept on doing what I'm doing the fat would eventually come off and my thighs will get smaller. Idk though.

Don't worry! This happened to me too. Especially when I do a lot of squats. When your muscles tear and try to repair themselves they fill up with water which makes your legs look puffy and way less defined than you'd like. But if you keep pushing it'll eventually go down. My advise if it doesn't get any better would be to try more cardio and less resistance training because that's what creates that puffy look. I was worried at first that I was getting "too bulky" but women really can't get that bulky look without training their *kitten* off and taking steroids. Just keep at it and you'll slim down because the muscle will help burn fat and you'll tone up. As for everyone saying you don't need to lose any weight, forget 'em. People are so judgmental on these community threads. Do what makes you happy and makes you feel as healthy and strong and confident as possible! Good luck!

@hnaquin280 did you happen to review OP's pictures she posted? I am guessing not...

My point is that it doesn't matter what anybody else thinks. If she's unhappy with the way her body looks, she should do what she feels will make her feel and look better. It's not my place to be judgmental and tell her she doesn't need to lose weight, whether that's my opinion or not. She didn't start this thread to hear negativity. The point of this community is to be positive and helpful. Not attack people or bring anyone down.

• terar21
    terar21 Posts: 523 Member
    Options
    OP - it's all in your head. You're at a reasonable weight already and your eyes are playing tricks on you because you've convinced yourself you need to weigh a certain amount. You're being too critical of your body.

You're literally doing the opposite of when I wake up in the morning after a hard workout and say "my butt looks more lifted!" My muscles didn't change over night. My mind is having a positive reaction to a hard workout.

The mind is having a negative reaction to something you think can make your thighs bigger. Seriously...you're seeing things. Your jeans are tighter because you recently started working out so you're retaining water. It will go away. Either way...those thighs aren't big at all. Absolutely no need to try to shrink them down.

And there's no need to lose weight. When a small girl starts working out to lose 5 pounds, all she's going to do is lose some water weight to get there. If you'd really like to make a body change, do as others suggested and eat at maintenance while doing a recomp.
  • brianpperkins
    brianpperkins Posts: 6,124 Member
    Options
    I've been working out 5-6x a week for the past 5 weeks. I have just been going to group fitness classes. So a typical week would be:
    Saturday - peak class (volume training intervals, plyometrics, calisthetics and resistance) OR spin and core class

I measure all my food and weigh everything. I always get at least 100g of protein per day. My calorie deficit is set at 1200. I am losing weight. I lost about 8 lbs since I started. I'm 6 lbs away from the weight I used to be (124). I can tell that I've gained a lot of muscle all over (newbie gains!) but my thighs have gotten too big. I love that they're more firm now and that my butt is more lifted than ever before, but I want them to be small and toned, not bulky.

What should I do?? I love my exercise routine. I don't want to give up my classes. I am a very pear shaped btw and there still is fat on my legs that I'd love to lose.

I was thinking that if i just kept on doing what I'm doing the fat would eventually come off and my thighs will get smaller. Idk though.

Don't worry! This happened to me too. Especially when I do a lot of squats. When your muscles tear and try to repair themselves they fill up with water which makes your legs look puffy and way less defined than you'd like. But if you keep pushing it'll eventually go down. My advise if it doesn't get any better would be to try more cardio and less resistance training because that's what creates that puffy look. I was worried at first that I was getting "too bulky" but women really can't get that bulky look without training their *kitten* off and taking steroids. Just keep at it and you'll slim down because the muscle will help burn fat and you'll tone up. As for everyone saying you don't need to lose any weight, forget 'em. People are so judgmental on these community threads. Do what makes you happy and makes you feel as healthy and strong and confident as possible! Good luck!

@hnaquin280 did you happen to review OP's pictures she posted? I am guessing not...

My point is that it doesn't matter what anybody else thinks. If she's unhappy with the way her body looks, she should do what she feels will make her feel and look better. It's not my place to be judgmental and tell her she doesn't need to lose weight, whether that's my opinion or not. She didn't start this thread to hear negativity. The point of this community is to be positive and helpful. Not attack people or bring anyone down.

What you provided wasn't support ... it was enabling. There is a difference.
  • rileyes
    rileyes Posts: 1,404 Member
    Options
    OP --I would focus more on strength training than cardio to help shape your body. Look into the Brett Contreras' Strong Curves program. The strength training can help give you curves in the right places.
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,139 Member
    Options

the point of this community is to provide feedback and methods that will actually work. If you really look at OP's pictures she has ZERO business losing another pound. Are you really trying to say that is there was another OP who was 5-6 90 pounds and wanted to lose weight on a 900 calorie diet that we should all just say "way, OP you do you! Good luck!" …really, is that what you would do?
  • PikaKnight
    PikaKnight Posts: 34,971 Member
    Options

Are you serious? If someone might be heading towards a potentially dangerous situation or if what she's doing is actually NOT going to help her with her goals, you think we should just tell her to keep doing what she's doing? LOLOLOLOLLLL.

This is why I think blind support isn't helpful at all. A bunch of people supporting people in doing the wrong things isn't actually being supportive, you know.
  • Noelv1976
    Noelv1976 Posts: 18,948 Member
    Options
  • FitForL1fe
    FitForL1fe Posts: 1,872 Member
    Options
    Noelv1976 wrote: »
    jsbr6e9l94zu.gif

stoleurgif.jpg
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,139 Member
    Options
    draznyth wrote: »
    jsbr6e9l94zu.gif

stoleurgif.jpg

Say what one more time....
  • FitForL1fe
    Options
    draznyth wrote: »
    jsbr6e9l94zu.gif

stoleurgif.jpg

Say what one more time....

I'm the foot *kitten*' master
  • MamaBirdBoss
    MamaBirdBoss Posts: 1,516 Member
    Options
    I'm recommend squats, actually. It's not so much that your quads look big as that you've lost your rear....
  • yopeeps025
    yopeeps025 Posts: 8,680 Member
    Options

So only you sound ok with OP being underweight? Yup great advice right.
  • FitForL1fe
    Options
    speaking of bigger thighs

I can't wear my *kitten* jeans anymore

smh
  • Azdak
    Azdak Posts: 8,281 Member
    Options
    This is definitely the last thread I'll ever make (Is there a way to delete it..?!) I don't know why so many people on here think it's okay to be so condescending. I'm really annoyed with all of the unhelpful and irrelevant comments on here. I don't have an eating disorder or anything else of that nature. Please don't tell me that I need to "seek immediate professional help". I didn't make this thread for you to say that to me.

I have an extremely sedentary lifestyle. I sit on my *kitten* pretty much 99% of the time. Hence, working out 5-6x a week for a hour is pretty much necessary for me, regardless if I want to lose weight or not. The fact that I absolutely love going to the gym is just a cherry on top. Eating at a deficit is also not a big deal (pretty sure that's the goal of most MFP members..). I am losing weight at a safe rate (8 lbs in 5 weeks is less than 2 lbs/week). I also eat food that is very nutritious and helps me meet my macros. To be honest, I'm probably in better shape and more healthy than a lot of the people that have commented on this thread lol.

@Indigoblu1
    Is what true? My thighs are definitely bigger than they were before if that's what you mean. A lot of people commented saying that they can't be bigger, but obviously I would know better than them whether or not the size of my thighs have increased. That being said, it probably is just water retention since I work my legs out pretty hard most days. Since it's just water I'm not concerned and I know that if I stick to my calorie deficit my legs will eventually get smaller.

When you start a more vigorous exercise program,esp involving a higher volume of resistance training, your body can change shape in ways that cannot always be predicted. Given differences in anatomy, it is possible, albeit somewhat atypical, to see changes like you have described.

It's just a muscular adaptation to the type of routine you are following. You can embrace it or you can change your program. Personally, I would stick with what are doing and just see what happens.

For some reason, males who are already athletically lean who want work to become even leaner are celebrated, but a female who wants to do the same thing is assumed to have some type of disorder.