Saxenda

Options
CrazySalsaMomma
CrazySalsaMomma Posts: 2 Member
edited June 2015 in Health and Weight Loss
Has anyone tried Saxenda for weight loss? My insurance approved it because I'm considered morbidly obese (at 198lbs) with co-exiting sleep apnea and diabetic. I've been taking it for almost a week and keeping with keeping my calorie count below 1500, I've lost about 6 lbs so far. It really helps control the carb and sugar cravings and hypoglycemic issues. I've heard some really awesome success stories with this new medication (and some scary ones too with pancreatitis) but so far, I'm doing very well. Just had insomnia the first time so I switch to taking it in the AM. It's a daily injection.

Replies

• tekkiechikk
    tekkiechikk Posts: 375 Member
    Options
    This is a good time to work on changing your attitude about food. I was on Adipex for a few months, it helped with the cravings and I lost about 20 lbs, but until you learn to deal with the problem you have with food, nothing is going to help you once you go off the medication. Once I went off Adipex, I gained it all back plus some. I've battled being overweight my whole life so I understand what you are facing... rarely is overeating about being hungry.

Good luck to you.
  • miluti
    miluti Posts: 30 Member
    edited June 2015
    Options
    I'm waiting for my health benefit provider to agree to approve me for Saxenda, now that it's been approved by Health Canada (our version of the FDA). I've been on metformin for a few years now, and it hasn't done much for me...might be keeping me at a level weight, but it's certainly not helping with the loss of excess weight. I'm tall, but I'm big... BMI is about 40-41... Fingers crossed my insurance will cover it, and I can get started soon! It would be such a godsend if it works. Between an autoimmune disorder, PCOS, and insulin resistance, I feel like I'm stuck between a rock and the proverbial hard place... I really, really hope that this might get things moving.
  • SusanleeBee
    SusanleeBee Posts: 144 Member
    Options
    I'm currently on day 10, and I've lost 7 pounds without actively changing my diet or exercise routine. I'm just never hungry. Only a little low level nausea so far.
  • miluti
    Options
    Congrats, Susanlee152!! Hoping it continues for you (and hoping I have similar results if I manage to get it approved ;) ).
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options
    This is a good time to work on changing your attitude about food. I was on Adipex for a few months, it helped with the cravings and I lost about 20 lbs, but until you learn to deal with the problem you have with food, nothing is going to help you once you go off the medication. Once I went off Adipex, I gained it all back plus some. I've battled being overweight my whole life so I understand what you are facing... rarely is overeating about being hungry.

Good luck to you.

Solid!
  • SusanleeBee
    SusanleeBee Posts: 144 Member
    Options
    Just started week 4, and I'm down 12 pounds. Having a difficult time making myself eat, which is weird.
  • miluti
    edited July 2015
    Options
    Just started week 4, and I'm down 12 pounds. Having a difficult time making myself eat, which is weird.

It's great to hear that it's working for you!! Make sure you DO eat, though...proper nutrition along with the Saxenda and exercise will make for a stronger, leaner, and healthier you. :)<3

What I'm truly concerned about in my case is the fact that even on Metformin - even when I'm not hungry - I still eat...boredom, addiction...whatever it is, I still manage to catch myself looking in the fridge and cupboards... :\ I'm afraid that even on Saxenda, that behaviour will continue... I've tried to keep myself occupied, drink water with Mio when I have a craving for something sweet...the works. Somehow I still continuously find myself feeding the addiction of chewing and feeling full... Bah humbug. ;)

I just got the forms from my insurance company for my doctor to fill out late this past week, so I'll go in soon and see if he'll fill them out. I figure between PCOS and "morbid obesity", he will...
  • finsgal63
    finsgal63 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I'm on day 4 taking Saxenda while it has really curbed my appetite, I feel very sick to my stomach and tired. Did anyone have this side effect? I read that this should get better, just not sure.
  • azulvioleta6
    azulvioleta6 Posts: 4,196 Member
    Options
    finsgal63 wrote: »
    I'm on day 4 taking Saxenda while it has really curbed my appetite, I feel very sick to my stomach and tired. Did anyone have this side effect? I read that this should get better, just not sure.

1. Read the circular. If you don't have the paper copy, you can likely find it online.
    2. Call your pharmacist.
  • michellersalo
    michellersalo Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    I have been on Saxenda since July 9th. I have lost about 8 pounds but am not yet at the full dosage. When I increase my dosage, I definitely have nausea for about 3-4 days. Also, I constantly feel full but have been trying to get 1500+ calories in. Some days it is difficult. Nausea is definitely a side effect until your body gets used to the medication and the increase dose. I am loving this though. After working out consistently for 2 years (daily, about 40+ hours a month of dedicated workouts) and not being able to lose ANY weight, this has been a God send for me!
  • azelizabeth
    azelizabeth Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    I started saxenda just over a week ago and this is the first time I feel very hopeful. The first few days I didn't feel well.... Now the biggest thing is I feel a bit tired and lower energy. It has really helped my sugar cravings.
  • miluti
    Options
    Wondering if any of you are in Canada?

Also, do you find Saxenda helps with boredom eating at all?
  • goingw3kids
    goingw3kids Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    This is my first day! I would love to hear updates from people who are taking it?
  • kristap1979
    kristap1979 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Today was the first day of Saxenda for me. 35 years old, 275 lbs, no other problems but my weight. Definitely feeling the nausea and hope it wanes over time. My grandmother died of Adrenal cancer, so I am going to speak with my MD about more frequent blood draws or maybe even being tested for the gene that causes a predisposition to the thyroid tumors. That's a little scary!

I also tried Adipex but it gave me palpitations and was nearly ineffective by the third month.

I have been looking to connect with people also taking Saxenda. We are the official guinea pigs. We need to keep a close watch on our health, trying this very new drug. Best luck to all. I will be checking back to see how we are all doing.

Krista
  • goingw3kids
    goingw3kids Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I have lost 9.8lbs since starting 9/19. I start the full 3.0 dose tomorrow. I am very thankful that something is finally working.
  • sistererth
    sistererth Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I'm a week in (on my second try) and feeling much better. I made it through the first syringe in March with some side effects (nausea, burping) so I didn't fill the script. Went back to doc and after talking with him decided to give it a go again. It is amazing how it curbs my appetite.

I used to always be hungry, seriously hungry, so of course I was a snacker. Now I'm working on reminding myself to eat regularly throughout the day, scheduling it even. I've had success with weight watchers and adjpex in the past but the effectiveness wore off after a year and a half. Excited to see how this works and the long term effectiveness. So far down about 5 lbs.

How is everyone else doing?
  • sdba72
    sdba72 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    sistererth wrote: »
    I'm a week in (on my second try) and feeling much better. I made it through the first syringe in March with some side effects (nausea, burping) so I didn't fill the script. Went back to doc and after talking with him decided to give it a go again. It is amazing how it curbs my appetite.

I used to always be hungry, seriously hungry, so of course I was a snacker. Now I'm working on reminding myself to eat regularly throughout the day, scheduling it even. I've had success with weight watchers and adjpex in the past but the effectiveness wore off after a year and a half. Excited to see how this works and the long term effectiveness. So far down about 5 lbs.

How is everyone else doing?

• sdba72
    sdba72 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Thank you for posting about your experience. I just finished my first syringe and I also am having terrible burping and heartburn which leads to nausea. It took me a while to get through this first syringe because I kept going back to the 0.6 dose to keep the side effects away. My insurance has approved the medication and my appetite is decreased but I hate feeling sick. Has your burping and nausea gone away or are you still battling it?
  • mlwhite42
    mlwhite42 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I started week 3 on saxenda on Fri and increased my dosage to 1.2. I am having horrible, horrible heart burn! I can't eat any thing without getting heart burn. I mean I had pb and crackers last night and all night long I had heart burn and burping. I'm really hoping this goes away soon and wondering if this is going to happen each time I increase the dosage :( BTW I have lost 11 lbs in 2 wks
  • deebaby1008
    deebaby1008 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    I've been on Saxenda for 1 month, down 15 pounds. I definitely experience a little nausea, nothing I haven't been able to handle though. No vomiting. Having a hard time getting 1500 calories in and drinking water or any beverage, I pretty much always feel full. I noticed that I feel a little nauseous if I haven't eaten in a while. So far so good with me.