Saxenda

Replies

• Debosgirl2010
    Debosgirl2010 Posts: 1 Member
    I started Saxenda on March 28th. After being on it for two days I started having Terrible headaches at night and early morning. It's the worst pain I've ever experienced with a headache. Will this subside?
  • Joce1957
    Joce1957 Posts: 1 Member
    It should subside. If it doesn't, you should consult with your GP.
  • ladiesofvision2015
    ladiesofvision2015 Posts: 4 Member
    miluti wrote: »
    Hey all - Just created a facebook group for Saxenda Users. I thought it might be a good spot to get conversation going? It's set up as secret, so that no one can see that you're part of the group unless they are also in the group! I figured a lot of folks don't want the world knowing their business, so I have it locked up tight. ;)

If you'd like to be added, please inbox me the email address you use for your facebook log-in, and I'll add you! :)

• ladiesofvision2015
    Hey all - Just created a facebook group for Saxenda Users. I thought it might be a good spot to get conversation going? It's set up as secret, so that no one can see that you're part of the group unless they are also in the group! I figured a lot of folks don't want the world knowing their business, so I have it locked up tight. ;)

If you'd like to be added, please inbox me the email address you use for your facebook log-in, and I'll add you! :)

• ladiesofvision2015

I started Saxenda about 10 days ago. no real side effects except I had a bad headache the first couple of days. then I got the flu over Christmas. I can tell the Saxenda is working as normally I have a big sweet tooth but I find I am choosing more of the savoury now so cravings are definitely decreased. I am rarely hungry and when I do eat, I can only eat a small amount or I feel sick. I am taking it in the morning and I am up to 1.2 mg/day. I go up to 1.8 in 3 days. For a girl who hates needles, I have to say that these ones are so small, I can even watch them go into my belly :smile:

I'm down about 5 lbs in 10 days - that works for me! I was worried that I would have issues with IBS but its the opposite - this causes me constipation but that is easily handled with a bit of Senokot

This drug is not cheap. I am in Canada and my drug plan covers 80% of the cost. My first month cost about $800 and then I paid 20% of that. I have struggled with my weight for so long that if this continues to work like it does, I will gladly pay the money every month. I am eating less so it probably balances out

I am with Sunlife insurance under the Public Service Health Care plan. I had to stop taking this for other reasons for a few weeks but I am back on it again and weight is going in the right direction!

• ladiesofvision2015
    I am on day 10 and haven't lost not 1 lb. I am feeling very discouraged and don't know what is the problem. I feel a difference in my appetite and cravings are gone but no weight loss. Has anyone else had this problem?
  • EBurke0723
    EBurke0723 Posts: 17 Member
    I am 3 weeks in and down 8.5 lbs. I am also suffering the horrible headaches and would love to know if there is anything that could help. I haven't found much online in the subject of a support group.
  • RMaloney75
    RMaloney75 Posts: 1 Member
    Hey y'all.
    After working my butt off and maintaining a very low carb diet I've managed to lose 20lbs in 6 months and maintain and then stalled. After talking with my dietitian and my dr the conclusion is adrenal issues and off the chart cortisol levels. Is anyone taking this and doing low carb? I like the way I feel on low carb and don't want to switch to low calorie???
  • cerise_noir
    cerise_noir Posts: 5,468 Member
    I am on day 10 and haven't lost not 1 lb. I am feeling very discouraged and don't know what is the problem. I feel a difference in my appetite and cravings are gone but no weight loss. Has anyone else had this problem?

Saxenda won't work if you're not in a calorie deficit. As I understand it, saxenda is for appetite suppression.
  • ahlmt
    ahlmt Posts: 4 Member
    It's the morning of day 3 and UGH! I was under 600 calories yesterday and I think I threw up half of them this morning. I'm dreading giving myself the shot today. Makes my stomach turn just to think about it. My husband is very supportive - I think he just wants his skinny wife back - but I don't know how long that will last if this nausea and vomiting doesn't go away soon. I feel like crap! Does anyone have any suggestions? I haven't even walked the dog because I'm afraid I'll throw up on the street!
  • laurens47
    laurens47 Posts: 117 Member
    RMaloney75 wrote: »
    Hey y'all.
    After working my butt off and maintaining a very low carb diet I've managed to lose 20lbs in 6 months and maintain and then stalled. After talking with my dietitian and my dr the conclusion is adrenal issues and off the chart cortisol levels. Is anyone taking this and doing low carb? I like the way I feel on low carb and don't want to switch to low calorie???

You are already having success doing what you are doing. Weight loss isn't linear anyway. Also, I couldn't imagine sticking myself with an injection everyday when it isn't necessary. I can't even believe, that just with the side effects and risks involved, that anyone would want to try this medication. If you stall, look at your diet, see what you could change (cutting out diet soda can even make a difference), making sure you are accurately tracking/measuring/accounting, ect and go from there. I am seriously concerned about the health of people willing to take this medication. I know a few women who are insulin resistant and have PCOS that follow the Ketogentic diet or LCHF diet and have great success, not just for weight-loss. To each their own but I would HIGHLY suggest researching this on your own.
  • stealthq
    stealthq Posts: 4,298 Member
    RMaloney75 wrote: »
    Hey y'all.

Controlling calories does not mean you need to stop eating a low carb diet, since that's what you prefer. You'd just need to eat less of what you have been.
  • nursegirl24
    nursegirl24 Posts: 3 Member
    I have been on saxenda for 1p days now. I have struggled with my weight all my life and was debating gastric bypass. I did some research and my Dr decided to let me try this. I am hopeful that this is the little bit of help I need to lose more weight. When I started my journey years ago I was close to 400lbs, started saxenda when I was 288lbs and now I am 279! The nausea sucks but I am grateful that my constant need to snacking is not there. I always felt hungry and was always thinking about good. That is gone for now. Is there a group for people in saxenda?
  • ahlmt
    I have been on saxenda for 1p days now. I have struggled with my weight all my life and was debating gastric bypass. I did some research and my Dr decided to let me try this. I am hopeful that this is the little bit of help I need to lose more weight. When I started my journey years ago I was close to 400lbs, started saxenda when I was 288lbs and now I am 279! The nausea sucks but I am grateful that my constant need to snacking is not there. I always felt hungry and was always thinking about good. That is gone for now. Is there a group for people in saxenda?

Congrats on your weight loss! How many days have you been on Saxenda? I'm on day 4 and so far have been able to keep down 1/2 a banana... the nausea for me has been awful! Beginning to see a light at the end of the tunnel though.
  • nursegirl24
    ahlmt wrote: »

Congrats on your weight loss! How many days have you been on Saxenda? I'm on day 4 and so far have been able to keep down 1/2 a banana... the nausea for me has been awful! Beginning to see a light at the end of the tunnel though.

Sorry, I didn't notice my typo! I have been on it for 10 days now. I moved up to 1.2 a couple of days ago. The nausea is pretty miserable but im trying to remain optimistic. I find if I just have very small meals it isn't as bad. The evenings are way worse. It really is keeping my snacking urges at bay. What dose are you on?
  • ahlmt

Sorry, I didn't notice my typo! I have been on it for 10 days now. I moved up to 1.2 a couple of days ago. The nausea is pretty miserable but im trying to remain optimistic. I find if I just have very small meals it isn't as bad. The evenings are way worse. It really is keeping my snacking urges at bay. What dose are you on?

Still at .6 and afraid to go anywhere from here! Someone said that she didn't jump all the way from .6 to 1.2 but instead went up 1 click at a time... I may try to do that and see if it helps with the nausea. Until today I haven't even been able to keep down a few apple slices or crackers. Everything came up!
  • nursegirl24

Still at .6 and afraid to go anywhere from here! Someone said that she didn't jump all the way from .6 to 1.2 but instead went up 1 click at a time... I may try to do that and see if it helps with the nausea. Until today I haven't even been able to keep down a few apple slices or crackers. Everything came up!

I didn't do the jump either. I did 1 click at a time too. I've heard some people take it at night to help reduce the side effect. I hope it gets better for you. What is your goal with taking it? Weight loss or insulin control?
  • ahlmt

I didn't do the jump either. I did 1 click at a time too. I've heard some people take it at night to help reduce the side effect. I hope it gets better for you. What is your goal with taking it? Weight loss or insulin control?

Definitely weight loss... and I'm feeling much better now! I ate a pretty big meal right after my first dose and I think that's what hurt me. Are you on Facebook? If so, I found a few great support groups on there.
  • miluti
    miluti Posts: 30 Member
    Question for you folks.

I stopped taking Saxenda for a time because I was stalled and going nowhere after weeks and weeks of no movement...I was extremely frustrated. Problem is, I'm an idiot and now have a pen that is nearly full and has been out of the fridge for over the 30 days.

I know it should be tossed according to the literature, but I'm wondering if anyone might know what actually happens to the medication if it is unrefridgerated (but kept in a dark place with the cap on and hasn't gotten warmer than 20 degrees, I'd say) for more than 30 days. Does it mutate at all? What happens to it?

I'm about to start taking it again and I am seriously considering trying the unrefridgerated pen first for a few days to see if it still has any efficacy. If it doesn't seem to kick in after a few days to a week, I'll toss it and start a fresh pen.