Saxenda

Replies

• AngelinaZumba
    AngelinaZumba Posts: 1 Member
    I just started too!! No nausea, but yes to the "fullness" feeling. I honestly feel like this feeling is what I've been missing my whole life. fullness... no desire to eat.. walking past the kitchen, having the thought cross my mind that I could look for something to eat, but not wanting to! I think this is what the medicine is all about - fixing that missing "fullness" hormone. Thanks for the posts everyone!
  • Julie_1012
    Julie_1012 Posts: 2 Member
    I've been on Saxenda for 3 months and lost 13 lbs (34 total since I started this journey a year ago). I'm also insulin resistant and have PCOS as well as a slight issue with my thyroid. Losing weight is very, very difficult on my own. Working with my doctor I've tried phentermine, Qsymia, Metformin, Wellbutrin and Contrave. Saxenda is by far the best at curbing my appetite and helping me gain control of my life. For the first time weight loss doesn't feel hopeless and temporary. And exercise, which was always difficult and painful, is becoming a regular part of my life. Side effects have been minimal. In the beginning a slight headache, some nausea, but those subsided once I was at the full dose (2.4). Constipation can be an issue. I almost always have bruising at the injection site, but I take aspirin daily so that probably contributes. I like the full feeling, it keeps me from overeating. I've learned if I over do it and eat more than a small portion I'm miserable for hours...it's just not worth it! When I started Saxenda my doctor told me to get as much protein in my system as possible so I've started drinking protein shakes in the morning. I'm not a breakfast eater so it helps to have something in my stomach in the am.

I'd be interested to hear from others who have been on Saxenda (or Victoza - same medication at a lower dosage) for more than 6 months. Is the medication still working for you or have you noticed it losing its effectiveness? Hopefully the habits I'm developing will help if that happens, and when I reach my goal and go off it.
  • sjoyanderss
    sjoyanderss Posts: 3 Member
    I started saxenda 12/29/15. I am really struggling with the nausea & exhaustion. Well the nausea is tolerable (barely) and I'm kind of ok with it since it's cut my appetite and I've lost 5 pounds so far. But the exhaustion is really hard to deal with. I usually do vinyasa yoga 2-3 times a week and I am so exhausted after work I haven't been able to drag myself there. It doesn't help that it's 0 degrees out either. Any one else experience this? I am currently on 1.2 mg and go up to 1.8 mg on Tues. For now I am being gentle with myself and telling myself it should get better as my body adjusts to the dosage.
  • EvgeniZyntx
    EvgeniZyntx Posts: 24,208 Member
    Please be aware that there are some concerns with the risk of thyroid cancer and pancreatitis with these drugs.

"The FDA and the EMA have not reached a final conclusion at this time regarding such a causal relationship. Although the totality of the data that have been reviewed provides reassurance, pancreatitis will continue to be considered a risk associated with these drugs until more data are available; both agencies continue to investigate this safety signal."

See here:http://www.nejm.org/doi/full/10.1056/NEJMp1314078

Stay informed.
  • Acacia2India
    Acacia2India Posts: 446 Member
    Hi everyone,

I just got prescribed this med on Friday. I have some serious health issues that are currently preventing me from exercising, and my weight is complicating them. The hope is that, with the help of this med and nutrition (admittedly not great right now), a decreased weight will allow me to begin physical therapy. When it comes time to stop taking it (if tolerated I'll be on it for at least a year) I should have adopted a better lifestyle. Luckily my insurance covers it.

I'll be starting on Wednesday. Any advice? I find myself very nervous.
  • azelizabeth
    azelizabeth Posts: 34 Member
    It is great to see some activity on this thread. I started at the end of July and am down almost 45 lbs , which for me is pretty incredible. I am at the 2.4 dose and most likely will stay here. I had difficulty with every increase so I did it very slowly. I literally ramped up to the next dose one click a day vs going to a jump of .6.

This is probably the first time in my life that I did not gain between thanksgiving and Christmas . It's still work, but this has truly helped with cravings and giving in to sugar and hunger. I have always injected into the lower abdomen, I am fairly bruised and it is starting to become more and more sensitive. Has anyone used their thigh? Does it hurt? I really need to change sites but I am a bit of a chicken. Above the waist also freaks me out.

Glad to hear the success.
  • Julie_1012
    Julie_1012 Posts: 2 Member
    I always inject in my right thigh, my abdomen was too tender. Every once in a while it hurts but mostly I feel a slight sting or nothing at all.
  • azelizabeth
    azelizabeth Posts: 34 Member
    Thanks Julie.... Now to figure out why I am so chicken to try the thigh.
  • shinycrazy
    shinycrazy Posts: 1,081 Member
    I take Tanzeum which is the same class of drugs (but marketed to diabetics, which I am). I love it! My only annoyance is the constipation, but it's not too bad. If I overeat, it is really miserable, I even threw up once. But only once! I've 65lbs since starting this. I feel like I have so much more control over my appetite and actually feeling full and knowing when to stop eating is amazing. I take my shot in the tummy as it is much softer than my legs! The one time I did it in my leg it hurt a lot! Everyone's different for sure. I've been on this since September. I do feel like the effects are not as pronounced as they were in the beginning, but not enough to want to increase it.
  • miluti
    miluti Posts: 30 Member
    @azelizabeth If you inject into your thigh, it'll probably be easier/less painful if you do it on the top (ie: your lap) rather than on the sides where there's normally more fat. I can't do it on the sides...hurts too much. On the front of my legs though, I don't find a problem. :)
  • corinne1977
    corinne1977 Posts: 144 Member
    Good afternoon, I came across this thread and it caught my attention. I've never heard of Saxenda. I take supplements called TruVision Health which seems similar. Well, I was just curious because its not the usual CICO posts I always see. I wish you all the best on your weight loss journey. Have a great weekend everyone.
  • Acacia2India
    So . . . now I know what people mean when they say they aren't hungry (aside from when they're stuffed). It's peaceful.
  • miluti
    miluti Posts: 30 Member
    So . . . now I know what people mean when they say they aren't hungry (aside from when they're stuffed). It's peaceful.

It's nice hey? I'm still fighting with wanting to eat from boredom, but Saxenda helps with that too (nausea and/or knowing I'll feel awful if I DO boredom eat).

I've been at 2.4 for 5 days as of today, and I had to call in sick today... Up all night restless, then both horrible diarrhea and sour burps (near vomiting) this morning. Seems like every week I reside the dose I get at least two days of this. I'd say it's the ONLY downside of Saxenda for me.
  • angelanorth998
    angelanorth998 Posts: 1 Member
    I started Saxenda about 10 days ago. no real side effects except I had a bad headache the first couple of days. then I got the flu over Christmas. I can tell the Saxenda is working as normally I have a big sweet tooth but I find I am choosing more of the savoury now so cravings are definitely decreased. I am rarely hungry and when I do eat, I can only eat a small amount or I feel sick. I am taking it in the morning and I am up to 1.2 mg/day. I go up to 1.8 in 3 days. For a girl who hates needles, I have to say that these ones are so small, I can even watch them go into my belly :smile:

I'm down about 5 lbs in 10 days - that works for me! I was worried that I would have issues with IBS but its the opposite - this causes me constipation but that is easily handled with a bit of Senokot

This drug is not cheap. I am in Canada and my drug plan covers 80% of the cost. My first month cost about $800 and then I paid 20% of that. I have struggled with my weight for so long that if this continues to work like it does, I will gladly pay the money every month. I am eating less so it probably balances out

Which insurance company are you with?
  • kbosket0726
    kbosket0726 Posts: 7 Member
    I started on January 4 with saxenda. So far my only side effect has been injection site itching and redness. Not too bad but currently I have 2 big welts on my stomach from irritation of the medication where I didn't inject deep enough. I think this was from my first week when I was still a little nervous. I'm a nurse, I injection people all the time but when it comes to myself....well I'm getting there. So far I am down 8lbs in 2 weeks and have not started exercising yet. I am only up to the 1.8mg dose and my doctor has set my dose at 3mg when I get there. I do find it odd to not be hungry anymore or feel like I'm missing out on something since I have been every time I cut calories or tried to eat better. I think this may be the tool that I needed. My husband had gastric bypass 3 years ago and lost over 200 lbs but I didn't want to go that extreme. I have about 70lbs left to lose. I have to say that it is nice to have insurance to cover it. My doctor ordered a three month supply which cost me $37.50, but the insurance picked up more that $3800. Otherwise it would be impossible for me to pay for.
  • mappyone
    mappyone Posts: 2 Member
    I am also interested in what insurance companies will cover this as my monthly price would be $389. My current insurance company will not cover it. Thanks in advance!
  • Acacia2India
    Are you in Canada or the US?
  • Acacia2India
    I moved my shots to the nighttime tonight because they make me much too tired during the day.
    I'm still on the 0.6, I should move up to 1.2 but I'm very nervous. It's working at 0.6 (side effects and all), 1.2 seems like it may be really tough. I'm sure I'm just being a Nervous Nelly I'll get there. But . . . *sigh*

How is everyone else doing?
  • kbosket0726
    kbosket0726 Posts: 7 Member
    I have blue cross. In order for it to be covered my doctor had to go through pre approval but it was covered.
  • Acacia2India
    I had a new experience Saturday night.

My husband and I went out for dinner to my favourite restaurant (only the 4th time we've ever had a baby sitter). since we rarely go (and the food is so different from what we normally eat) we normally order two appetizers, share them, and then either share a meal or order our own and take home leftovers.

Well, this time we only ordered one appetizer (we just weren't in the mood fot the other since I've been toying with recipe for it at home) and I barely made it through 1/3 of my dinner! I was seriously stuffed. Like stuffed-stuffed; I couldn't eat another bite. It was so weird.

I know it's the medication, but I still feel proud of myself.

I can't believe normal people have this feeling of satiety - it's amazing.