Saxenda

Replies

• AbbottCostello
    AbbottCostello Posts: 2 Member
    I have been on Saxenda for 5 weeks. I am at the 3.0 dose now. Not sure if it's working. I don't weigh myself. I go by how my clothes fit. They seem a little looser but it's hard to tell. I go to the Dr. at the end of the month and will see what she thinks. The medicine makes me really gasey and bloated so I can't tell if I'm losing weight because of the bloat. I take gas pills to help. It says on the package NOT to take antacids with it. That makes sense because in actuality if you have heartburn you need MORE acid and not less. Big pharma makes a lot of money perpetuating peoples heartburn. It temporarily eases up but it'll come back with a vengeance so, of course, you need more antacid to feel better (sarcastic). Treat the symptom not the cause. I am on Saxenda because after years of riding my bike 17 miles, 4 times or more a week I wasn't losing an ounce. I have hypothyroid and endometriosis plus gluten intolerant. Eating right is not the problem. As some of you said eating right and exercise doesn't work for a lot of us. My Metabolism was/is dead. We are hoping to revive it with the saxenda.
  • AbbottCostello
    AbbottCostello Posts: 2 Member
    to lisa _222,
    I know you were here in April but Saxenda is made from Victosa. People with Diabetes used Victosa and they noticed the side effect of weight loss. So they went back to the lab to study it and separated out the ingredient that caused that creating Saxenda. If you are on another diabetes med. then you shouldn't take saxenda too. You will gain weight if you go off your diabetes meds (along with a host of other issues) because you NEED it to metabolize what YOU eat. With out it everything gets stored. The rest of us are not diabetic so once we lose the weight our bodies will be geared up (metabolism wise) to keep burning off the fat. - As long as we don't go crazy and eat seriously unhealthy. (Which I don't do anyway.) There is some kind of imbalance in my system that needs correcting and once corrected should function properly. At this point it is like a catch 22.Because you are overweight your body doesn't function correctly. Try to lose weight to be healthier but your body won't let you yet if you lose the weight your body will function properly. It just sucks. So hopefully this will work and we can all get down to size!
  • brandicoker
    brandicoker Posts: 3 Member
    Has anyone had success with relieving nausea with zofran while taking saxenda?
  • katendsley
    katendsley Posts: 2 Member
    I've been on Saxenda since Feb 2016. I'm 46, 5'7' and started at 198lbs. I've lost 24 lbs so far. I've not been losing lately because I'm not sticking to the reduced calories I was in the beginning but I'm not gaining either and the scale only seemed to go up before the medicine. jeanjean619, my fatigue was HORRIBLE too but the longer I've been on it the less of a problem I have. I feel mostly normal now. My nausea is gone although I had a lot of that in the beginning. I learned to go up a click at a time rather than a whole .6mg (one click is .06mg) I'm up to 2.4 so far and only increase when I start noticing hunger a lot.

Hang in there guys, it seems the longer you stay with it the better it gets and you'll see success. Just go up SLOWLY. Fatigue goes away, nausea goes away but we still have to be mindful of what we put in our mouths. It's not the magic bullet (or injection as the case may be) but it's a wonderful tool which I plan to continue to utilize as long as my insurance covers it (Blue Cross Blue Shield).
  • RaeYballe
    RaeYballe Posts: 20 Member
    I was on it. Didn't see any results. Went back to metformin. Dropped carbs to under 100g/day. Added 2 days of strength training. Lost 20 lbs.
  • micormier
    micormier Posts: 1 Member
    I am on day 3, slight headache which is subsiding, but I am still feeling hungry. I am on the lowest dose, should I increase it on my own or contact my doctor? I am watching what I eat and I get full fairly fast so I am not over eating. Am I jumping the gun? Any suggestions?
  • IBleaf74
    IBleaf74 Posts: 3 Member
    I'm glad I found this. I'm a type 1 diabetic with a very high BMI and i'm pretty insulin resistant which in turn has had me gain weight as insulin is a weight gainer, what a vicious cycle! So I asked my endocrinologist on Tues about this and she promptly agreed. Like some here I've read up and the side effects ("C" word) scares the Crap out of me. When I asked her about it she said as long as thyroid cancer is not in your family this risk wont be as high.So as of now its sittting in my fridge i am debating on starting it tomorrow. Im also from Canada and my Insurance does cover it 100%.
  • DonnaLisaBoykin
    DonnaLisaBoykin Posts: 2 Member
    I am on my 12th day. Just increased my dose to 1.2 a couple of days ago. This may sound strange, but I began by taking it at night hopefully to avoid feeling sick, but I felt very sick in the mornings, so I changed and started taking the injection anywhere from 10:30 to 11:30 am, because my first dose at the doctor's office was in that time frame and didn't bother me. This has worked much better for me, not sure why but maybe it would work for you too.
  • manchester4
    manchester4 Posts: 14 Member
    I started saxenda 4 days ago. I've had zero side effects, am still hungry as ever, and even GAINED 3 lbs. I have a very controlled diet and exercise frequently. Why am I the only one who hasn't lost anything? What a waste of money.
  • jojofrye1
    jojofrye1 Posts: 1 Member
    Hello everyone, thank you for sharing your stories. I started taking Saxenda about weeks now and I am still going back and forth about the side affects that are life threatening so I just wanted to know how other people feel about it and how their doctor has explained it to them. Thanks in advance for any response. Have a blessed day.
  • lillyrs62
    lillyrs62 Posts: 2 Member
    smckean4 wrote: »
    Are you still on Saxenda? How much have you lost now? What was your starting weight?
    Saxenda has not helped , I am just as hungry now as I was 2 weeks ago starting this drug
  • lizziefrizzie
    lizziefrizzie Posts: 1 Member
    Is Saxenda helping anyone? I'm thinking about asking my doctor for it? I'm also on PSHCP is everything covered for it?
  • brendacs21
    brendacs21 Posts: 180 Member
    I started taking it last Wednesday. I have not weighed in yet
  • dwnwlcm
    dwnwlcm Posts: 4 Member
    edited March 2017
    I started Saxenda last week. Just wondering if anyone has meal plans to suggest. I find that finding something to eat is a challenge for me. I veto everything because I have no desire for it.

Also question for long term users . . . is this a medication you have to use for life? Or has people come off of it? If you have come off of it did you gain any weight back or has your weight been stable?

• dwnwlcm
    Anyone in menopause and on Saxenda? Does it help with the hot flashes? :)

Also how much exercise do you do each week short burst of about 15-20 minutes, 3-5 times a week? Or like 30-45 mins 3-5 times per week?

What do you use for breakfast to get yourself going and to jump start fat burning?
  • dwnwlcm
    Is Saxenda helping anyone? I'm thinking about asking my doctor for it? I'm also on PSHCP is everything covered for it?

I just started and I find it helpful. I do feel full and my appetite has gone down a lot. I seem to have lost my desire for food except for my cow foot soup which I eat because it is like a bone broth.
  • dwnwlcm
    My Endo doctor has me on both Saxenda and Metformin together. Is anyone else on this combo?
  • elphie754
    elphie754 Posts: 7,574 Member
    dwnwlcm wrote: »
    Anyone in menopause and on Saxenda? Does it help with the hot flashes? :)

Also how much exercise do you do each week short burst of about 15-20 minutes, 3-5 times a week? Or like 30-45 mins 3-5 times per week?

What do you use for breakfast to get yourself going and to jump start fat burning?

No such thing as jump starting fat burning.
  • Ginger_girl13
    Ginger_girl13 Posts: 1 Member
    So im really concerned about starting Saxenda. Im starting on April 1st and have hypothyroidism. My mother in law recently did some research after I came home with the perscription and said that it can cause thyroid cancer! Im really freaking out now! Also I live in Ontario Canada and wanted to know if anyone was covered Ontario Disability Suport Program Drug Plan. (odsp) WHAT DO I DO?!
  • blue_max8
    blue_max8 Posts: 1 Member
    The risk of thyroid cancer was discovered in mice. Turns out they have a GLP1 receptor in their thyroid which saxenda stimulates and increases the chances of cancer. This receptor does not exist in human thyroid gland, as far as we currently know. Therefore, the risk of thyroid cancer in humans is theoretical. This is atleast what the reps are saying.