Saxenda

Options

Replies

• lulufilippelli
    lulufilippelli Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Hi Everyone,
    I just started Saxenda a week ago, just curious what kind of results everyone has and side effects.

• lingle12
    lingle12 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Day 23...titrated up to the 2.4 dose. Experiencing the worst side effects to date. Energy is better but burping and nausea have been pretty bad. I may stay at this dose two weeks. I am down 7 lbs from my start on saxenda on February 15,2016 and 17.5 since September 2015. I exercise four times a week (circuit train, spin, walk-run) and consistently around 1200-1500 calories per day. I have a 158 day streak going on MFP currently. I am about 20 from my goal wt so am hopeful. Under the care of my endocrinologist . BCBS approved four month trial coverage after a long appeal process but if these results hold steady I shouldn't have any trouble with continued coverage. I pay 30/month with the discount card.
  • Cmascia
    Cmascia Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Hi everyone! I'm confused about what's happening with this medication because I've researched and searched the Internet and I've only read about the success people have had on Saxenda, or the rough side effects that they've had. Ive read that for most people it immediately curbs their appetite. However, I've had neither success, nor side effects! I eat relatively healthy (I have a bad sweet tooth tho) and exercise 5-6 times a week (cardio and strength). My BMI is 32, I'm about 5'3 and 178 lbs. I've been stuck at this weight for a while, I do have hypothyroid, but it's under control. My doctor ran a bunch of tests and no hormonal issues, so she gave me a sample of Saxenda and said her patients have had a lot of success on it! I'm on day 4 and I haven't noticed any changes in my appetite, I haven't lost any weight, but I've also had no side effects... no nausea, no tiredness, nothing. I'm thinking it's just not working for me. Has anyone had this problem with Saxenda? Is it possible the 0.6 dosage is too low? I can't be the only person that Saxenda doesn't work for, can I? As a side note, my doctor put me on phentermine for 3 months and I lost about 5 lbs... So that really didn't work for me either. Ugh. I'm at my wits end. Nothing is helping me :-( My self esteem is really starting to suffer and I had high hopes for Saxenda.
  • miluti
    miluti Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    Cmascia wrote: »
    Hi everyone! I'm confused about what's happening with this medication because I've researched and searched the Internet and I've only read about the success people have had on Saxenda, or the rough side effects that they've had. Ive read that for most people it immediately curbs their appetite. However, I've had neither success, nor side effects! I eat relatively healthy (I have a bad sweet tooth tho) and exercise 5-6 times a week (cardio and strength). My BMI is 32, I'm about 5'3 and 178 lbs. I've been stuck at this weight for a while, I do have hypothyroid, but it's under control. My doctor ran a bunch of tests and no hormonal issues, so she gave me a sample of Saxenda and said her patients have had a lot of success on it! I'm on day 4 and I haven't noticed any changes in my appetite, I haven't lost any weight, but I've also had no side effects... no nausea, no tiredness, nothing. I'm thinking it's just not working for me. Has anyone had this problem with Saxenda? Is it possible the 0.6 dosage is too low? I can't be the only person that Saxenda doesn't work for, can I? As a side note, my doctor put me on phentermine for 3 months and I lost about 5 lbs... So that really didn't work for me either. Ugh. I'm at my wits end. Nothing is helping me :-( My self esteem is really starting to suffer and I had high hopes for Saxenda.

The 0.6mg dose is just to help you wean into it, so don't expect much change at that level. :) You should be increasing by 0.6mg weekly until you hit the 3.0mg dose (unless your doctor wants you to stop at a lower dose... I myself stayed at 2.4mg for nearly a month as I had a hard time adjusting to that dosage). Keep with it and increase your doses as prescribed and you will eventually see some changes! My weight hasn't changed much (stuck around 10-13 lbs), but I went from a size 24 jeans to a size 20 between November and February. :D Non-scale victories, we call them! :) Keep it up girl! :):)
  • miluti
    Options
    Hey all - Just created a facebook group for Saxenda Users. I thought it might be a good spot to get conversation going? It's set up as secret, so that no one can see that you're part of the group unless they are also in the group! I figured a lot of folks don't want the world knowing their business, so I have it locked up tight. ;)

If you'd like to be added, please inbox me the email address you use for your facebook log-in, and I'll add you! :)
  • Acacia2India
    Acacia2India Posts: 446 Member
    Options
    miluti wrote: »
    Hey all - Just created a facebook group for Saxenda Users. I thought it might be a good spot to get conversation going? It's set up as secret, so that no one can see that you're part of the group unless they are also in the group! I figured a lot of folks don't want the world knowing their business, so I have it locked up tight. ;)

If you'd like to be added, please inbox me the email address you use for your facebook log-in, and I'll add you! :)

There are 2 that I belong to already plus the group on here; that's enough for me. I appreciate the invitation though. Thanks!
  • miluti
    Options

There are 2 that I belong to already plus the group on here; that's enough for me. I appreciate the invitation though. Thanks!

What are the two you belong belong to? I created it as I couldn't find any others... :\
  • Acacia2India
    Acacia2India Posts: 446 Member
    Options

What are the two you belong belong to? I created it as I couldn't find any others... :\

The main one, and by far the most popular, is Saxenda Support Group.

The other is slower; Saxenda Struggles And Success Support Group.

Good luck to you, I hope you find what you are looking for. I know it can take time to find the right online community.
  • mrskarenlea
    mrskarenlea Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I started Saxenda about 10 days ago. no real side effects except I had a bad headache the first couple of days. then I got the flu over Christmas. I can tell the Saxenda is working as normally I have a big sweet tooth but I find I am choosing more of the savoury now so cravings are definitely decreased. I am rarely hungry and when I do eat, I can only eat a small amount or I feel sick. I am taking it in the morning and I am up to 1.2 mg/day. I go up to 1.8 in 3 days. For a girl who hates needles, I have to say that these ones are so small, I can even watch them go into my belly :smile:

I'm down about 5 lbs in 10 days - that works for me! I was worried that I would have issues with IBS but its the opposite - this causes me constipation but that is easily handled with a bit of Senokot

This drug is not cheap. I am in Canada and my drug plan covers 80% of the cost. My first month cost about $800 and then I paid 20% of that. I have struggled with my weight for so long that if this continues to work like it does, I will gladly pay the money every month. I am eating less so it probably balances out

I am with Sunlife insurance under the Public Service Health Care plan. I had to stop taking this for other reasons for a few weeks but I am back on it again and weight is going in the right direction!
  • KC5115
    KC5115 Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    Just had my first dose today. I have really struggled getting the weight off so I am excited to see if this is what finally helps me.
  • renstar5000
    renstar5000 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I have been on Saxenda for 3 weeks. I have lost about 8 pounds. I feel awful though. I am so lethargic! I can barely walk the dogs let alone do a real work out. Is anybody else experiencing this?
  • miluti
    Options

The main one, and by far the most popular, is Saxenda Support Group.

The other is slower; Saxenda Struggles And Success Support Group.

Good luck to you, I hope you find what you are looking for. I know it can take time to find the right online community.

Thanks girl - I put in a request to join the first one you listed. Deleted my group. ;)
  • Lisa_222
    Lisa_222 Posts: 301 Member
    Options
    I take it for diabetes. If you stop, the weight comes right back. Ill probably not stop as I need it for my blood sugar but I wouldn't bother if it was just for weight loss unless you intend on staying on it forever.
  • HarmlessFun
    HarmlessFun Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I have just started using Saxenda (just under a week ago). I am in Canada and Great West Life is my extended health carrier; I submitted some paperwork (completed by my doctor) and got pre-approval for 1 year of Saxenda. (I pay a $5 deductible when filling my prescription and have one for just 5 weeks so far.)

Still trying to perfect my injection technique. HAve not noticed any special side effects or results yet. Also (perhaps oddly) I have not weighed myself recently so do not know my exact starting weight --avoidance/denial technique -- however doctor's office has that info on file from about 6 weeks ago.

I would like to connect on the Facebook page too. Will see if I am figure out how to access ....
  • jeanjean619
    jeanjean619 Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    I have been on Saxenda for 3 weeks. I have lost about 8 pounds. I feel awful though. I am so lethargic! I can barely walk the dogs let alone do a real work out. Is anybody else experiencing this?

That's me!! Has your fatigue gone away? I haven't had much luck so far. I actually took it for about 2 or 3 weeks and then stopped taking it because I was so exhausted I couldn't really function. When I met with my doctor he told me the fatigue was most likely caused by something else and to try again. I did and I could only last about 4 more days but the fatigue got the best of me so I stopped again! I just met with him again (one month appointments) and he gets upset with me that I stopped again but I am so drained that I have a hard time making it through the work day (let alone cook dinner, walk the dog, spend time with my family.) Well he told me to try it again and that he doesn't know of anyone who complains of fatigue!! I am not sure what to do (so I'm back to reading the boards for insight!)
  • miluti
    Options
    That's me!! Has your fatigue gone away? I haven't had much luck so far. I actually took it for about 2 or 3 weeks and then stopped taking it because I was so exhausted I couldn't really function. When I met with my doctor he told me the fatigue was most likely caused by something else and to try again. I did and I could only last about 4 more days but the fatigue got the best of me so I stopped again! I just met with him again (one month appointments) and he gets upset with me that I stopped again but I am so drained that I have a hard time making it through the work day (let alone cook dinner, walk the dog, spend time with my family.) Well he told me to try it again and that he doesn't know of anyone who complains of fatigue!! I am not sure what to do (so I'm back to reading the boards for insight!)

I think if you just continue to take it and fight through the fatigue, your body will eventually get used to it (same idea as if you were changing from a day shift to a night shift, or traveling...you have to give your body time to adjust, you know? :) ). A lot of us have had some pretty nutty nausea with it and we have to push through it...I'd give that a shot (no pun intended - bwahaha ;) ). Perhaps focus on making sure you get lots of rest and good quality food as well, to help you through it? I'm constantly in a state of exhaustion so I guess I didn't really notice any fatigue.
  • soccerdog693
    soccerdog693 Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    Just finished my second week on saxenda and have lost about 7 lbs. so far it's working very well for me with only mild side effects - some burping and mild nausea if I overeat. It is amazing how much it has curbed my appetite. My question is to those who claim that say you will gain all the weight back once you stop it - my question is why? If you continue to log your calories, manage portion sizes, etc why would you gain it back? Could saxenda not be used to "retrain" your body as to what a proper portion size is?
  • Cameronbear
    Cameronbear Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I've been on Saxenda 6 weeks now and I have lost 15lbs. I would say that is because it suppresses my appetite and if I overeat I feel quite sick. I am starting to make more sensible choices and more importantly eat better size portions. I have suffered some fatigue and I find it hard to eat balanced meals sometimes because I find it hard to tolerate anything except high carb foods when I feel nauseous. So I think sorting out a more balanced way of eating with higher protein would help with the fatigue. Not a quick fix for sure, but it makes changing my eating habits way easier to manage.
  • klundy1
    klundy1 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I have been prescribed this and I just picked it up from the pharmacy last night. I am so scared to try it though. I keep reading about pancreatitis and thyroid tumors/cancer? Ugh. I don't know why but I just have reservations about it. I'm going to see my doctor today and we're going to talk about it more. It just seems too good to be true so I'm a skeptic. I'm glad to read this to see that it is working for people though. That is encouraging. Not sure if I want to go through the nausea and feeling tired though. I had gastric bypass in 2008 - went from 350 to 220 and now am at 275. Hoping to lose about 60 lbs with Saxenda's help. If I ever get the nerve up to start it. I'll check out the facebook page too. Maybe that will give me more encouragement.
  • recesq
    recesq Posts: 154 Member
    Options
    I've been on it for 2 months and have lost 27 pounds. Granted I'm at 331 right now. But its the lowest weight in 6 years for me. My Doc has had patients on it for 3 years continuous w no ill effects. Losses of 30-60 lbs is the norm. I started at .6 and increased the dosage up to 3.0 over a 2 week period. For those with little energy, what do you think happens when you take in drastically fewer calories?!! No matter what the reason? Our body takes time adjusting to the changes. I've had low energy and some nausea and urgent bathroom visits at the start....but I've had the same thing after gorging myself on dinner every night. This isn't a magic shot. I am still tempted to eat the bad stuff...but my lower appetite, and my higher satiety point keeps me in check. Most days I have a Quest protein bar for lunch. I usually eat eggs and low carb toast with Kerry Gold grass fed butter for bkfst. That really satisfies my taste buds for almost the entire day. I am very optimistic about getting this weight off of me for the first time in a long time. If you are feeling hopeless, like I was, give this a try. My doc gave me free samples and there are discount cards too, for use with or without insurance. I get 5 pens- a 5 week supply- for for $30. That's with BCBS AND the discount card.