My 1200 kcal experiment

Options

Replies

• AspenDan
    AspenDan Posts: 703 Member
    edited June 2015
    Options
    Wow this thread...but I'm at work and bored so, hey I'll take it. I don't understand why people are so worked up on this forums in regards to lower calorie food habbits (i hesitate to use the word "diet"). Call me cynical, but I doubt its because they care for you (random forum poster), and would like to steer you away from what they consider unhealthy. Instead I bet it's more about the personal satisfaction/righteousness they feel in correcting someone's presumed poor judgment (similar to when someone corrects poor grammar that really wasn't hurting anyone).

IMO, you should maybe speak to a nutritionist, see how they feel about your experiment. If they're cool with it, try it for a while. Maybe keep a journal on your feelings as you go, energy levels, ease of staying with your plan, and tell us all how it went?

A lot of people use this forum, many of them not sure of what they're doing and likely to try the first thing they come across. 1200 kcals without medical supervision can be dangerous for a male. People correct threads like this so other people don't get the idea that this is a sound method for losing weight and know there are healthier ways, less punishing ways, to do it.

As for the grammar thing - if nobody tells you you're doing it wrong, how will you ever learn? Personally I don't correct spelling/grammar on here as it's against the TOS. I have developed the habit of working the misspelt word into my own post so people can choose to get it right next time or not... :)

Would you not agree tho, that many people are far too forward with their "advise"? it's pretty demoralizing for people to textually laugh in your face.

This is insane / OMG but why / decimating your LBM / It's ludicrous / This is such ***** / OP has lost his marbles

Come on people, these forums are meant to educate and uplift people, no reason to act like he just suggested we all start snorting cocaine.
  • BennyCH
    BennyCH Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    rosebette wrote: »
    I think you're underestimating what you're missing for nutrition. Nutrition is more than just taking vitamins. As a male, you can't possibly hitting your macros for fats and proteins on 1200 calories a day. I know because as a petite female who is moderately active, I often am below on protein at 1200 calories (an my goal is around 80 grams). So, how as a 200+ lb. male can you be meeting those macros?

Why does a 200+ male have to be on a VLCD diet to make up for a couple of days of going over calories after a fast day?

I aim for 90g protein and 90g fat each day, I'm fat adapted with a body fat of around 16-19%, my current weight is 95kg i.e. I carry around 17 kg of fat (17x9'000= 153'000kcal),

so I also want to find out what happens being fat adapted with a lot body fat stored and at the same reduce my calorie intake to 1200 kcal / day
  • NobodyPutsAmyInTheCorner
    NobodyPutsAmyInTheCorner Posts: 1,018 Member
    Options
    Wow this thread...but I'm at work and bored so, hey I'll take it. I don't understand why people are so worked up on this forums in regards to lower calorie food habbits (i hesitate to use the word "diet"). Call me cynical, but I doubt its because they care for you (random forum poster), and would like to steer you away from what they consider unhealthy. Instead I bet it's more about the personal satisfaction/righteousness they feel in correcting someone's presumed poor judgment (similar to when someone corrects poor grammar that really wasn't hurting anyone).

IMO, you should maybe speak to a nutritionist, see how they feel about your experiment. If they're cool with it, try it for a while. Maybe keep a journal on your feelings as you go, energy levels, ease of staying with your plan, and tell us all how it went?

A lot of people use this forum, many of them not sure of what they're doing and likely to try the first thing they come across. 1200 kcals without medical supervision can be dangerous for a male. People correct threads like this so other people don't get the idea that this is a sound method for losing weight and know there are healthier ways, less punishing ways, to do it.

As for the grammar thing - if nobody tells you you're doing it wrong, how will you ever learn? Personally I don't correct spelling/grammar on here as it's against the TOS. I have developed the habit of working the misspelt word into my own post so people can choose to get it right next time or not... :)

Would you not agree tho, that many people are far too forward with their "advise"? it's pretty demoralizing for people to textually laugh in your face.

This is insane / OMG but why / decimating your LBM / It's ludicrous / This is such ***** / OP has lost his marbles

Come on people, these forums are meant to educate and uplift people, no reason to act like he just suggested we all start snorting cocaine.

It's an "Advice" forum. Don't ask for it or comment in here if you don't expect a response. That's what your personal blog is for???

Or we could all pat him on his back and say "Yeah right on, good luck with your experiment!"
  • NobodyPutsAmyInTheCorner
    NobodyPutsAmyInTheCorner Posts: 1,018 Member
    Options
    BennyCH wrote: »
    I think you're underestimating what you're missing for nutrition. Nutrition is more than just taking vitamins. As a male, you can't possibly hitting your macros for fats and proteins on 1200 calories a day. I know because as a petite female who is moderately active, I often am below on protein at 1200 calories (an my goal is around 80 grams). So, how as a 200+ lb. male can you be meeting those macros?

Why does a 200+ male have to be on a VLCD diet to make up for a couple of days of going over calories after a fast day?

I aim for 90g protein and 90g fat each day, I'm fat adapted with a body fat of around 16-19%, my current weight is 95kg i.e. I carry around 17 kg of fat (17x9'000= 153'000kcal),

so I also want to find out what happens being fat adapted with a lot body fat stored and at the same reduce my calorie intake to 1200 kcal / day

If it's only 2 weeks then hey it's your body and it's yours to do with as you please. Long term though... I doubt 1200 calories for a woman would be great let alone a man.

Good luck ;)
  • ailsadell
    ailsadell Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    Serious question here....

If you eat three meals a day with a portion of protein (meat, cheese, fish) at every meal with a good selection of vegetables (some as much as you like) some nuts, seeds etc and a little fruit and maybe alpro or natural yoghurt for desserts can that really be unhealthy??

Along with supplements is this not a healthy diet for anyone??

I ask because that is what I eat mainly with the odd treat thrown in once or twice a week now (a few fries or 85% chocolate) .... My calories are around 800-1000 a day and I'm full... A little more when I have a treat..,,

When you cut out all the processed foods the calories simply aren't there... And I won't indulge in high fats as there is enough evidence to show its bad for your arteries and heart etc...

Incidentally my calculations show for me at a sedentary lifestyle is just over 1200 cals so to loose any weight I should eat a lot lower...

• Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    edited June 2015
    Options

Actually it makes me sad when adults act against basic advice that is well published and easily accessible with a modicum of common sense

So no it's not self-satisfaction or righteousness .. why should I feel either of those about a perfect stranger's decisions?

Rather it's probably connected with the fact I work with teenagers ... possibly a character flaw my wanting to give people the information to make appropriate decisions and getting wound up when they don't use their basic intelligence to work it out for themselves .. or they use the information and still make the wrong decisions .. but there is a stage when you back away and think 'it's up to them now' because in the end it is

The dogma of ignorance .. should always be challenged

And the jokey comments ... well quite simply they come from seeing it time and time and time again .. none of these questions are ever new .. and frequently they come from fly-by-nights .. the more people who stick and make it work the better .. but that's not the nature of making life changes it seems (certainly wasn't for me for 30 odd years but it is now)

You have to keep it light to remain invested in helping other people struggle to success
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
    ailsadell wrote: »

If you eat three meals a day with a portion of protein (meat, cheese, fish) at every meal with a good selection of vegetables (some as much as you like) some nuts, seeds etc and a little fruit and maybe alpro or natural yoghurt for desserts can that really be unhealthy??

I ask because that is what I eat mainly with the odd treat thrown in once or twice a week now (a few fries or 85% chocolate) .... My calories are around 800-1000 a day and I'm full... A little more when I have a treat..,,

When you cut out all the processed foods the calories simply aren't there... And I won't indulge in high fats as there is enough evidence to show its bad for your arteries and heart etc...

Incidentally my calculations show for me at a sedentary lifestyle is just over 1200 cals so to loose any weight I should eat a lot lower...

Depends on your height and weight .. if you're really tiny, like way under 5 foot then possibly, quite possibly you can hit your macro and micro-nutrient basic needs from 1000 calories. But possibly not even then

The 1200 floor for women is not about weight loss, you will continue to lose, it's about overall health, reducing loss of LBM .. because your body will just catabolise the easiest LBM in order to get the energy it requires .. why would you want / why would anyone want to lose muscle .. the concept defeats me
  • Krystle1984
    Krystle1984 Posts: 146 Member
    Options

You're a woman, and I'm going to hazard a guess that you're reasonably short. What is good for you is not going to be healthy for a 6' man.

The recommended minimum for women is 1200 kcals. I would like to know what calculations you used to work out your TDEE is 1200? If you're using MFPs figures then that 1200 calories already has your deficit built in.

I eat very little in the way of processed food (I'm gluten free so there isn't a lot I can eat anyway) but easily manage 1900 kcals a day. And consistently lose weight. You don't have to deprive yourself to achieve your goals. :)
  • nutmegoreo
    nutmegoreo Posts: 15,532 Member
    Options

That 'just over 1200 cals' is with the deficit calculated in.
  • tashigolean34
    tashigolean34 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    SuggaD wrote: »
    That is crazy for someone of your weight! Very low cals and a lot of exercise...wth???
    If you look at all the users who agreed or supported OP, they are most likely unfit and or overweight. Anomaly.

Were there really that many people agreeing/supporting him? I saw a lot of people steering him away or posting jokes.

I personally think OP has lost his marbles.

Edit: after going back through the thread, I found literally one person supporting his idea. Well, sort of. They were pointing out how you can get 80 g of protein on a 1200 calorie diet.

How many of us eat 12 ounces of chicken and then just vegetables for the rest of the day?

My post said nothing about supporting his diet. I specifically stated that I wasn't agreeing with him. He is doing low carb. Someone posted that they cannot get their 80grams of protein for less than 1200 calories. All I was doing was saying that yes you can. People on a ketogenic diet eat green vegetables, fat to satiate, and moderate protein. Some keto dieters only eat fat if they are hungry and not just for the sake of eating fat. I eat twice a day. 6 ounces of chicken twice a day with spinach, broccoli, or zuchinni with coconut oil to cook with is doable with 1200 calories. Other days I may do steak twice a day so of course my calories would be higher.
  • RGv2
    RGv2 Posts: 5,789 Member
    Options
    nutmegoreo wrote: »

That 'just over 1200 cals' is with the deficit calculated in.

And I'll be that "lose any weight" is actually a goal of 2lbs per week with only about 7lbs left to go.

Just a guess though, but that's usually how it turns out.
  • auddii
    auddii Posts: 15,357 Member
    Options
    Possibly a stupid question, but if I read you original post and a few other replies correctly, you were eating 1350 calories, but if you exercised, you would eat those back, so you were actually eating more like 2000-2300 calories per day.

Are you doing that again with your experiment? Cant figure out if you're talking 1200 net or 1200 gross intake.
  • KombuchaCat
    KombuchaCat Posts: 834 Member
    Options
    I think you may have had a bit of a knee jerk reaction. It sounds like what you were doing before was working really well, and I think it's a great plan. One day of having to fast and then eating a lot is not going to break you. I would go back to your original plan since that one is more likely to produce lasting results and is much easier to sustain. You don't want to starve yourself and then totally fall off the wagon.
  • kimny72
    kimny72 Posts: 16,013 Member
    Options

I am 42, 5'4" female, and my TDEE at lightly active is 1800 cals. If MFP is giving you 1200 calories, that already has your deficit built in, so you don't have to eat any lower. And are you using a food scale? Most people who say they are full eating 1,000 calories find they are eating more than they think when they start weighing their portions.
  • KombuchaCat
    KombuchaCat Posts: 834 Member
    Options
    I agree that eating more nutritious foods and cutting out the "carbage" allows one to get all thier nutrients with less calories. There is some interesting research that I remember seeing about 15 years ago on NOVA and has come up recently again about calorie restriction and longevity, in that it is good. Now whether you want to do it and can sustain it...that's another story. In the NOVA program only 1 out of about 6-8 experts that had all studied this and agreed it was true actually did it. When I IF eating a lower carb/paleo sort of diet I am normally satisfied on less than 1500 calories/day. Now that's not every day and if I'm hungry for more I eat.
  • rosebette
    rosebette Posts: 1,660 Member
    Options
    SuggaD wrote: »
    That is crazy for someone of your weight! Very low cals and a lot of exercise...wth???
    If you look at all the users who agreed or supported OP, they are most likely unfit and or overweight. Anomaly.

Were there really that many people agreeing/supporting him? I saw a lot of people steering him away or posting jokes.

I personally think OP has lost his marbles.

Edit: after going back through the thread, I found literally one person supporting his idea. Well, sort of. They were pointing out how you can get 80 g of protein on a 1200 calorie diet.

How many of us eat 12 ounces of chicken and then just vegetables for the rest of the day?

My post said nothing about supporting his diet. I specifically stated that I wasn't agreeing with him. He is doing low carb. Someone posted that they cannot get their 80grams of protein for less than 1200 calories. All I was doing was saying that yes you can. People on a ketogenic diet eat green vegetables, fat to satiate, and moderate protein. Some keto dieters only eat fat if they are hungry and not just for the sake of eating fat. I eat twice a day. 6 ounces of chicken twice a day with spinach, broccoli, or zuchinni with coconut oil to cook with is doable with 1200 calories. Other days I may do steak twice a day so of course my calories would be higher.

I've been away from this thread a bit and am following up. My point was that 80 g and 1200 are the needs for a 5'1.5", late middle age (mid 50s) woman, and without extreme diligence, it's hard to maintain that macro level. Since OP is a 6' male of around 200 lbs., I can't see how he can maintain the required macro requirements for his size on 1200 calories a day. I'm sure he needs a whole lot more than 80 g protein to preserve LBM. I think a lot of folks on this thread are saying something similar -- that this is not a very nutritionally sound experiment. As for the other poster who says she is managing on 800-1000 calories a day, she's comparing "apples to oranges" -- I'm sure she's not 6' tall either.
  • sofaking6
    sofaking6 Posts: 4,589 Member
    Options
    tomatoey wrote: »
    JarethG wrote: »
    Yezza wrote: »
    sofaking6 wrote: »

sorry but I didn't flag you...and I don't want anything from anyone, just writing about my experiment...but a lot of people seems to get outraged of an experiment that I am doing on myself, that I find a little...weird?

I'm going to do an experiment on myself; I'm going to start snorting a couple of grams of cocaine every day because losing weight is more important to me than my health, my job or my family. What does everyone think?

<2 pages later>

GAWD you guys are so uptight, can't a girl do a bunch of harmful *kitten* to herself and tell the world about it without having to have anyone mention that it's a bad idea? JEEEZ!!

He didn't ask for anybodies opinions, not many people have responded objectively. If losing visceral fat (an unhealthy thing to have) via a less-than-ideal method is on par with snorting cocaine (an anti-social, illegal, destructive habit) then either you're here for some cheap laughs or you're fairly ignorant. Either way you're not posting anything constructive. Why not post some facts as to why it may not be the healthiest method or how about this, don't post at all? This community is astounding.

I don't know, it made me pretty damn social!
    Seriously, everyone I've known on the colombian snownose is pretty fun to be around.

If by fun you mean intolerable, yeah I agree

I love that you guys are debating the merits of bolivian marching powder :)
  • FitForL1fe
    FitForL1fe Posts: 1,872 Member
    edited June 2015
    Options
    tomatoey wrote: »
    JarethG wrote: »
    Yezza wrote: »

sorry but I didn't flag you...and I don't want anything from anyone, just writing about my experiment...but a lot of people seems to get outraged of an experiment that I am doing on myself, that I find a little...weird?

I'm going to do an experiment on myself; I'm going to start snorting a couple of grams of cocaine every day because losing weight is more important to me than my health, my job or my family. What does everyone think?

<2 pages later>

GAWD you guys are so uptight, can't a girl do a bunch of harmful *kitten* to herself and tell the world about it without having to have anyone mention that it's a bad idea? JEEEZ!!

He didn't ask for anybodies opinions, not many people have responded objectively. If losing visceral fat (an unhealthy thing to have) via a less-than-ideal method is on par with snorting cocaine (an anti-social, illegal, destructive habit) then either you're here for some cheap laughs or you're fairly ignorant. Either way you're not posting anything constructive. Why not post some facts as to why it may not be the healthiest method or how about this, don't post at all? This community is astounding.

I don't know, it made me pretty damn social!
    Seriously, everyone I've known on the colombian snownose is pretty fun to be around.

If by fun you mean intolerable, yeah I agree

I love that you guys are debating the merits of bolivian marching powder :)

lol this is a very important discussion
  • ailsadell
    ailsadell Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    Thank you to all who replied to my question.... I asked as I read so many conflicting details and the calculation I used through this site has obviously confused me :-/

Would someone mind helping me do it right then please?

I'm 5'4 currently, 134lbs (started 148lbs), female, set at sedentary as I have limited mobility due to having ME/CFS.... I based as sedentary as I have to limit my activities, but I am able to do normal walking around etc and could clean a few rooms in a day, but it is mainly sitting as I work with the occasional walk thrown in say once every 3-4 weeks (totally horrid for me as I was extremely active previously and find this resting thing hard!)

Think that's all the info ... If not give me a shout.

Thanks xx
  • Alyssa_Is_LosingIt
    Alyssa_Is_LosingIt Posts: 4,696 Member
    Options
    Thank you to all who replied to my question.... I asked as I read so many conflicting details and the calculation I used through this site has obviously confused me :-/

Would someone mind helping me do it right then please?

I'm 5'4 currently, 134lbs (started 148lbs), female, set at sedentary as I have limited mobility due to having ME/CFS.... I based as sedentary as I have to limit my activities, but I am able to do normal walking around etc and could clean a few rooms in a day, but it is mainly sitting as I work with the occasional walk thrown in say once every 3-4 weeks (totally horrid for me as I was extremely active previously and find this resting thing hard!)

Think that's all the info ... If not give me a shout.

Thanks xx

vzw5vu9te1lb.png

There you go :smile: