Question about ketosis... does it really help you burn fat faster than CICO?

Options

Replies

• stopdropandstay
    stopdropandstay Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    ketogenic diets do make you lose weight a bit faster, however, overtime, ALL weight loss methods/diets (eg. low fat, atkins, etc) kind of even out. One may INITIALLY make you lose weight quickly, but after a long period of time, it all kind of makes you lose the same amount of weight. The best diet for you to go on is one that YOU find to be most manageable. Your friend may be losing weight and "burning fat" for now, but if it isn't manageable for her, she won't be able to maintain that weightloss.
    I know this because I've read research papers and have studied this topic exactly.
  • richln
    richln Posts: 809 Member
    Options
    What happens if you eat garbage that doesn't have any carbs in it?
  • jennifer_417
    jennifer_417 Posts: 12,344 Member
    Options
    BILLBRYTAN wrote: »
    This is a divisive topic, but I'll try to answer it according to my understanding of the science behind it all. Yes, you burn a larger amount of fat while eating on a keto plan. And keto eaters assert that. The problem with that assertion is that a great amount of that fat burning isn't BODY fat, it's the fat you're consuming.

All fat loss comes from creating a calorie deficit.

I hope this helps.
    This is totally false. Fat loss comes from physical movement and eating more real food. Obesity comes from driving cars and sitting in front of a television and then blaming it on food. The secret to fat loss is to move more and eat more food but stop eating garbage.

BAHAHAHAHA! no. Fat loss comes from eating fewer calories than you are consuming. Ask me how I (and myriad others on this site) know.
  • Mr_Knight
    Mr_Knight Posts: 9,532 Member
    Options
    No, it's not true.

What is true is that *some* people find it easier to stay in a consistent deficit eating that way - and that, of course, matters.
  • SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,942 Member
    Options
    This is a divisive topic, but I'll try to answer it according to my understanding of the science behind it all. Yes, you burn a larger amount of fat while eating on a keto plan. And keto eaters assert that. The problem with that assertion is that a great amount of that fat burning isn't BODY fat, it's the fat you're consuming.

I hope this helps.
    This is totally false. Fat loss comes from physical movement and eating more real food. Obesity comes from driving cars and sitting in front of a television and then blaming it on food. The secret to fat loss is to move more and eat more food but stop eating garbage.

Nope. If you ate more food to lose weight, there would be no fat people in the world.

Exercise also has nothing to do with weight loss either. You can lose weight just fine without exercise.

The truth is eat less, move more. ;)
  • SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,942 Member
    Options
    Mr_Knight wrote: »
    No, it's not true.

What is true is that *some* people find it easier to stay in a consistent deficit eating that way - and that, of course, matters.

I agree.

It's important to find a plan that helps you stay in a calorie deficit, because that's how you lose weight.
  • triciab79
    triciab79 Posts: 1,713 Member
    Options
    There have been studies on why diets like Atkins work for some people. What they have found is that it has almost nothing to do with Ketosis. What is happening in the majority of people is that they are actually eating fewer calories because it takes longer to process meat and fat than carbs so they are full longer.

I suggest a balanced approach and if you are having difficulty with feeling full focus on getting most of your calories from protein and fiber rich items. Some of the best foods are mostly carb (veggies) and those should be part of any diet. What does not need to be in your diet are the high carb items that have limited nutritional value and cause sugar crash (cakes, candies, icecream), these are treats and they should be treated as such. They should be saved for special occasions or consumed in very limited quantities. Now some people will claim they eat a 400 calorie candy bar every day on their 1200 calorie diet but that is 1/3 of your days allotment for something that will not help you feel fuller or be healthier so even though you can do it, no one should advise you to.
  • GaleHawkins
    GaleHawkins Posts: 8,159 Member
    Options
    zdyb23456 wrote: »
    I have a friend who insists that she will burn more fat if she goes into ketosis vs. just eating at a deficit.

Is this true? It's not something I want to do, I like my carbs too much, but I'm not sure I believe her and I don't want to encourage her to do something that won't work.

zdyb while you have a knowledgeable friend about some of the features of living in a state of ketosis I agree with the thought of another that you may want to read up on ketosis from those been at it for 5+ years nonstop with actual experience.
  • RodaRose
    RodaRose Posts: 9,562 Member
    edited June 2015
    Options

I hope this helps.

Making up stuff. People are getting tired of it.
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    edited June 2015
    Options
    I've been thinking about why people continue to respond to trolls on here?

And I think it might be because the whole weight loss 'industry' is so very full of woo that we continue to worry that people will actually believe the most fallacious of statements ..like that one up there

And the sad thing is it's true ...people will believe anything for the holy grail of a slimmer more attractive and fitter body

Personally I'm thankful that when I started using the forums there were a bunch of people who continually reinforced the "it doesn't matter what you do just eat fewer calories than you burn" and backed it up with science (most of which I couldn't follow as science is not my background, but I have a basic intelligence so I did my best).

I miss that vibe ... It was what helped

And trolls will keep on trolling, maybe they should bring back the block poster feature
  • jennifer_417
    jennifer_417 Posts: 12,344 Member
    Options
    rabbitjb wrote: »

And I think it might be because the whole weight loss 'industry' is so very full of woo that we continue to worry that people will actually believe the most fallacious of statements ..like that one up there

And the sad thing is it's true ...people will believe anything for the holy grail of a slimmer more attractive and fitter body

Personally I'm thankful that when I started using the forums there were a bunch of people who continually reinforced the "it doesn't matter what you do just eat fewer calories than you burn" and backed it up with science (most of which I couldn't follow as science is not my background, but I have a basic intelligence so I did my best).

And trolls will keep on trolling, maybe they should bring back the block poster feature

Well, for my part, I am afraid the person is serious, not trolling. It's not always obvious, at least to me. And, I don't want others who don't know better to get off track with some woo.

• PeachyCarol
    PeachyCarol Posts: 8,029 Member
    edited June 2015
    Options

What the "troll" was referring to was Taubes's (imo, ridiculous) theory of obesity, though. I tried to refute it by calling it out. He's not the first person to espouse it. NuSI will be setting up a study on it.

The theory goes ... eat more fat, giving you more energy, thereby causing you to become more active, thus burning more calories and reducing weight.

Now for some absurd reason, proponents claim this invalidates CICO, but since it seems like a hack of CO, I don't see how.

• yarwell
    yarwell Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options
    I have a friend who insists that she will burn more fat if she goes into ketosis vs. just eating at a deficit.

Is this true? It's not something I want to do, I like my carbs too much, but I'm not sure I believe her and I don't want to encourage her to do something that won't work.

The conditions that favour ketosis favour fat oxidation for sure. 75% of my resting energy is from burning fat. Ketogenic dieters in the main voluntarily restrict their food intake significantly.
  • ariamythe
    ariamythe Posts: 130 Member
    Options
    Sometimes I am surprised that low-carb/keto diets have had the legs they've had. I always expect these things to fall out of favor quickly when the next thing comes along. I was doing Atkins back in 2004, and it wasn't brand new when even then.

My own experience was pretty mediocre. I lost weight at first, but maintaining that over the long-term was difficult and, because that state of ketosis was so important to the whole thing, falling off the diet for even a day or two made getting back on it a hassle (in the Atkins plan, any break in the diet basically meant going back on the hardcore 2-week starter diet to get ketosis going again). The weight came back w/in a year of hitting my lowest weight on the diet.
  • tomatoey
    tomatoey Posts: 5,446 Member
    Options
    ariamythe wrote: »
    Sometimes I am surprised that low-carb/keto diets have had the legs they've had. I always expect these things to fall out of favor quickly when the next thing comes along. I was doing Atkins back in 2004, and it wasn't brand new when even then.

I don't know much about keto, but low/lower carb diets have legs because they demonstrably help a lot of people control appetite, even long-term. Not everyone, but a lot of people.
  • professionalHobbyist
    professionalHobbyist Posts: 1,316 Member
    Options

You can eat lower carb below your calorie requirements.

It is popular on here for low carb diets to be treated as if the people on them have no regard to calorie intake.

Yes you can eat deficit calories.

Yes you can lose fat quickly.

How long you want to do that or of it is your diet choice are individual questions.

I like moderate carbs from vegetable sources and eat about 60-80 a day.

I have lost about 125 pounds and added 15 of muscle in a year and a half.

I eat at a calorie deficit.

Although it gets lots of contention on MFP, low carb can work fine. Some make low fat work fine. Some just eat less but eat anything they want.

For me it still means exercise and not eating too much.

You can eat too much on any nutrition plan and gain weight! No escaping the fact you gotta burn off some calories and body fat.

You can't out exercise your fork no matter what diet you are on.

Good luck with it and check out a variety of web sites and forums. NerdFitness is a resource.

• Azdak
    Azdak Posts: 8,281 Member
    Options
    3bambi3 wrote: »

I hope this helps.

This is the wrongest thing I've seen all day. And I've been in the Master Cleanser thread.

Did you get any good recommendations in the MC thread? I've got some really bad stains on my bathtub....

• baconslave
    baconslave Posts: 6,958 Member
    Options
    tomatoey wrote: »
    ariamythe wrote: »

I don't know much about keto, but low/lower carb diets have legs because they demonstrably help a lot of people control appetite, even long-term. Not everyone, but a lot of people.

Exactly.
    It's been great for me, and I know without a doubt that I'll be able to sustain it for life. So naturally I think it's the greatest ever. But keto/low-carb is just a tool/technique to lose weight and achieve calorie deficit. A lot of people find it's their answer when they can't stick to anything else. Other people are happier doing other plans.

It's all about long term sustainability. Keto/Atkins/low-carb is sustainable for many people. For others, though, not so much.

After you lose the weight, you either need to make it your lifestyle for good, or switch it up to another plan. Either way, you have to keep the calories down to a point that you aren't consuming more than your body burns. If you don't, you gain it all back, no matter which technique you used to lose the weight in the first place.

• pollypocket1021
    pollypocket1021 Posts: 533 Member
    Options

+1
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options

I hope this helps.

You could not be more wrong. You could try... but you would not be successful.

Russ!