Anyone gone to Mexico for dental work??

Options
Hi all. Going for a full transformation here with my weight loss (down 30 so far before joining MFP!). Have another 40 to go! Anyway, I need dental work done. Dentists here in Alberta are used car salesmen. I went to my dentist, came up with a plan, went in for treatment only to find she changed the plan and wanted to charge me $5,000 more. I told her no way. Her reply, "well, dont you want a nice smile??" What the heck?! I stormed out.

I am looking at going to Mexico to get my dental work done. Cheaper, and while they might not guarentee their work, neither will my dentist ( my bite is off and she told me my parents should have got me braces. Not a possibility since i grew up dirt poor after my dad died).

Anyone on here gone to Mexico for dental work before? What clinic did you go to??

I keep looking on the net. Every place has mixed reviews. Any input would be great!

Thanks all!

Replies

• LonLB
    LonLB Posts: 1,126 Member
    Options
    GOD NO is the only thing I keep thinking.

In the US you have/get insurance to have issues fixed or you wait until you do.
  • whierd
    whierd Posts: 14,026 Member
    Options
    Hi all. Going for a full transformation here with my weight loss (down 30 so far before joining MFP!). Have another 40 to go! Anyway, I need dental work done. Dentists here in Alberta are used car salesmen. I went to my dentist, came up with a plan, went in for treatment only to find she changed the plan and wanted to charge me $5,000 more. I told her no way. Her reply, "well, dont you want a nice smile??" What the heck?! I stormed out.

I am looking at going to Mexico to get my dental work done. Cheaper, and while they might not guarentee their work, neither will my dentist ( my bite is off and she told me my parents should have got me braces. Not a possibility since i grew up dirt poor after my dad died).

Anyone on here gone to Mexico for dental work before? What clinic did you go to??

I keep looking on the net. Every place has mixed reviews. Any input would be great!

Thanks all!

It is quite possibly the dumbest thing you can do.
  • MostlyWater
    MostlyWater Posts: 4,294 Member
    Options
    I live in the greatest city in the world, NYC. I don't have to travel for anything.
  • MsJulielicious
    MsJulielicious Posts: 708 Member
    Options
    I knew a woman who went to Mexico for a boob job.
    Hilarity ensued
    Just not for her
  • juicemoogan
    juicemoogan Posts: 999 Member
    Options
    Im Canadian,

My dad and I went to Costa Rica and he got some dental work done there..
    Good quality, Great price. Fabulous vacation!
  • bambishealth
    bambishealth Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    NEVER, I repeat, NEVER go to Mexico for any medical/dental procedure. There is a reason they are cheaper. They have less restrictions and lax health codes...Infection is the #1 cause of death after having procedures done there....Please reconsider an seek a second dental opinion.
  • randomtai
    randomtai Posts: 9,003 Member
    Options
    tumblr_m2uqopf8fK1qk553k.gif
  • whierd
    Options
    Im Canadian,

Costa Rica is not Mexico.
  • MyChocolateDiet
    MyChocolateDiet Posts: 22,281 Member
    Options
    No, but my parents did take me there to have a cyst removed when I was a kid. It came back. It was cut off with scissors tools in the surgical environment. It was clean and hygenic, but just not thorough.

Fast forward a year or two when it returned and I kept biting it so it needed attention again. This time it was dug out with a sharp spoon like tool and completely removed and closed with a stitch. In the U.S. That was my last experience driving all far away for any kind of health related work. Lots of my family do it, but that experience soured me. I just wait till I can afford stuff here. Plus it's uncomfortable to recover from anything in a place you're not familiar with. You feel most like you should be at home at times like that.
  • MyChocolateDiet
    MyChocolateDiet Posts: 22,281 Member
    Options
    Im Canadian,

Fabulous vacation for you or for him? My guess is for you. For him, I'm guessing stress before and after the procedure, no?
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options
    Why does everyone think so poorly of Mexicans? The underlying racism here is quite alarming. It's barely a notch above claiming Mexicans piss in their beers.
  • whierd
    Options
    Why does everyone think so poorly of Mexicans? The underlying racism here is quite alarming. It's barely a notch above claiming Mexicans piss in their beers.

:huh:
  • chunkydunk714
    chunkydunk714 Posts: 784 Member
    Options
    Me personally? No

Ask my hispanic friends and some of them have felt comfortable enough to go and swear by it. They could never convince me enough.
  • ozigal
    ozigal Posts: 173 Member
    Options
    Actually... when i was travelling in Costa Rica a about 7 years ago I met quite a number of Americans who had gone there for dental work.

Every single one of them told me it was cheaper than the US and that the work they got done there was as good as, if not better, than the work they would have got in the US. Some of them were back for the 3rd time as they were having extensive work done on their teeth.

I thought it was a little strange at the time but that was before medical tourism really kicked off.
  • whierd
    Options
    Actually... when i was travelling in Costa Rica a about 7 years ago I met quite a number of Americans who had gone there for dental work.

Every single one of them told me it was cheaper than the US and that the work they got done there was as good as, if not better, than the work they would have got in the US. Some of them were back for the 3rd time as they were having extensive work done on their teeth.

I thought it was a little strange at the time but that was before medical tourism really kicked off.

• fleurdelis504
    Options
    I work in a dental office, and I highly don't suggest going to Mexico for dental work. If you don't like the office you're at now, try finding a new dental home. There are plenty of good Dentist out there who will work with you on tx plans and financing.
  • Emilie04444
    Emilie04444 Posts: 151 Member
    Options

lmao, I would never go to Mexico for dental work. Why not shop around for better deals, get credit or pay it off slowly.

I think it is questionable when you go to another country for medical services but ppl do it all the time. One of my friends went to DR for body work.I wouldn't go to Mexico now b/c it has been in the news for numerous things recently. My fear is if something goes wrong in any country they can just act like it didn't happen.
  • chunkydunk714
    chunkydunk714 Posts: 784 Member
    Options

I think they know that....I hope they know that. I think they're just comparing when they went to another country for dental work
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options
    I hope you've been to more than one dentist before coming to that conclusion.

I'd go to a dental school before Mexico.