Replies

• Contrarian
    Contrarian Posts: 8,138 Member
    Options
    Only Mexico is Mexico.
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options
    I knew a woman who went to Mexico for a boob job.
    Hilarity ensued
    Just not for her

I know a woman who had cosmetic surgery here in the US. A tummy tuck. She died.

Luckily, I heard that story only AFTER I had my successful tummy tuck done here in the US. I lived.

(otherwise I'm pretty sure my family would have not trusted the doctors here. then who's left? the alien mothership hospitals?)

try Costa Rica. i hear it's way better than THE ENTIRE COUNTRY OF MEXICO. because all Mexicans are a monolith. and a low hygiene monolith, apparently.

Yeah, let's ignore that there are different standards of care and can vary widely, as per the website I linked. And that there would be little to no recourse for the OP should she be unsatisfied with the work 5gat is done.

But by all means, keep up the righteous indignation!

So according to your logic, every doctor, clinic, hospital and dental office in Mexico is of a lower standard than the lowest American (or Costa Rican) equivalent? So rich Mexicans get poorer care than broke Americans? I don't think the OP is planning on going to a back alley clinic in a TJ barrio to get her work done, do you?

In your world, do Americans ever sue American medical practitioners for malpractice? Is it all sunshine and lollipops in the U S or furlucking A but death and despair south of the border?
  • Sycoholic
    Sycoholic Posts: 282 Member
    Options
    So all this Mexico, Canada, Costa Rica, etc.... how about a dental school? Whatever your choice, do some research and check out the facility and credentials first.
  • Lift_This_
    Lift_This_ Posts: 2,756 Member
    Options
    i go all the time....look at the fantastic work my dentist does:

33jl643.jpg
  • verdancyhime
    verdancyhime Posts: 237 Member
    Options
    What surprises me is that while reading through the comments I never once saw "Well if you can afford to go outside of your country (fly or otherwise) then you should have no issue being able to afford any dental procedure done in Canada." Yes you might get a decent vacation but if complications arise which is a possibility anywhere, do you plan to go back to Mexico or pay top dollar to go to a dentist in your province like you should have in the very beginning?

If you don't like your dentist, I suggest looking for a new one within close proximity.

This, unless you live in Texas or California or something, I seriously can't see how once you factor in the plane ride, food, lodging, etc. the dental work is still cheaper.

Also, it sounds like this is a cosmetic procedure? What do your teeth actually look like? Because if it's just one of those little things no one notices but you, I think paying someone a couple thousand dollars to fix it is stupid when you could spend the same amount of money improving your appearance in many different ways.
  • vtmoon
    vtmoon Posts: 3,436 Member
    Options
    I live in Costa Rica and yes... I hear about a lot of people for others countries who came for dental work here... must be good........... still expensive for the people who live here aaaaaaahahahahahahahahaha! :laugh:

i regret to inform you that you do not live in Mexico

lol.
  • WDEvy
    WDEvy Posts: 814 Member
    Options
    no!!!! Don't you have Dental insurance through work?! If you don't you can buy private Dental insurance. I'm in Canada too and Hell no I wouldn't trust Mexican Dentists.
  • ozigal
    ozigal Posts: 173 Member
    Options
    Actually... when i was travelling in Costa Rica a about 7 years ago I met quite a number of Americans who had gone there for dental work.

Every single one of them told me it was cheaper than the US and that the work they got done there was as good as, if not better, than the work they would have got in the US. Some of them were back for the 3rd time as they were having extensive work done on their teeth.

I thought it was a little strange at the time but that was before medical tourism really kicked off.

Costa Rica is not Mexico.

I think they know that....I hope they know that. I think they're just comparing when they went to another country for dental work

Believe me, I've been to more countries than there are states in the US (double in fact)... think I know the difference between Costa Rica and Mexico having actually spent time in both countries. All I was doing (as the last poster in the quote above says) was saying that I had seen quite a number of Americans getting dental work in Costa Rica.
  • whierd
    whierd Posts: 14,026 Member
    Options
    Hilarity ensued
    Just not for her

Luckily, I heard that story only AFTER I had my successful tummy tuck done here in the US. I lived.

(otherwise I'm pretty sure my family would have not trusted the doctors here. then who's left? the alien mothership hospitals?)

try Costa Rica. i hear it's way better than THE ENTIRE COUNTRY OF MEXICO. because all Mexicans are a monolith. and a low hygiene monolith, apparently.

Yeah, let's ignore that there are different standards of care and can vary widely, as per the website I linked. And that there would be little to no recourse for the OP should she be unsatisfied with the work 5gat is done.

So according to your logic, every doctor, clinic, hospital and dental office in Mexico is of a lower standard than the lowest American (or Costa Rican) equivalent? So rich Mexicans get poorer care than broke Americans? I don't think the OP is planning on going to a back alley clinic in a TJ barrio to get her work done, do you?

In your world, do Americans ever sue American medical practitioners for malpractice? Is it all sunshine and lollipops in the U S or furlucking A but death and despair south of the border?

I never said that EVERY hospital, clinic, dentist, etc in Mexico is of a lower standard. In the larger cities some are world class. But the standard of care varies more widely than in the States. Also, I was trying to point out earlier that people's experiences in Costa Rica do not translate into a similar experience in Mexico.

Yes, medical practitioners are sued all the time in the US. But would the OP be able to sue a Mexican practitioner under similar circumstances? Or as easily in her own country?
  • sparkly86
    sparkly86 Posts: 520 Member
    Options
    I am certain they have very qualified dentists there, but you would have to do some serious research to make sure you end up going to those.
  • vtmoon
    vtmoon Posts: 3,436 Member
    Options
    Why does everyone think so poorly of Mexicans? The underlying racism here is quite alarming. It's barely a notch above claiming Mexicans piss in their beers.

Really, you're surprised that people ran in with the alarm whistles blaring on a thread titled "Mexico"? I wasn't surprised by those posts. Just wanted to let OP know my real reasons for thinking home is best for any procedures.

I think people think so poorly of Mexicans because they lump us altogether with the real bad latinos...like Costa Ricans. LMFAO. And the Mexicans from Guatemala and Chile. Cause they all look the same and are messing up the beautiful celebrities only while on vacay LA vibe by being all "overweight and hispanic" all over the place. (by the way I am a real life mexican and am only repeating the idiocity I have read on other threads about "my people". Not to perpetuate these stereotypes but to let you know OP that anything you read here you must take with a grain of salt because as has been pointed out racism of this sort is still alive and kicking and has reared it's ugly head on previous threads. So consider that when reading the replies to your post and analyzing for your mental consumption the opinions forthwith.)

so glad you clarified, cause I was ready to go loco on your behind.
  • MyChocolateDiet
    MyChocolateDiet Posts: 22,281 Member
    Options
    So all this Mexico, Canada, Costa Rica, etc.... how about a dental school? Whatever your choice, do some research and check out the facility and credentials first.

What about Sweden...let's do Sweden next!
  • DavPul
    Options
    I never said that EVERY hospital, clinic, dentist, etc in Mexico is of a lower standard. In the larger cities some are world class. But the standard of care varies more widely than in the States. Also, I was trying to point out earlier that people's experiences in Costa Rica do not translate into a similar experience in Mexico.

Yes, medical practitioners are sued all the time in the US. But would the OP be able to sue a Mexican practitioner under similar circumstances? Or as easily in her own country?

i don't think she's hoping to be able to sue. i think she's hoping to get decent dental work at a price she can afford. my point is that bad things happen. and not just when Mexicans are involved.

Can you offer some stats on botched medical jobs comparing the USA, Canada, Mexico, and Costa Rica? Or are you basing your opinions on the "nightly news" like that other guy?
  • whierd
    whierd Posts: 14,026 Member
    Options
    I am certain they have very qualified dentists there, but you would have to do some serious research to make sure you end up going to those.

Why research? Apparently they are all qualified and it's racist to think otherwise.
  • DavPul
    Options

What about Sweden...let's do Sweden next!

Swedes are a fair complected people. So their health care will be assumed as top notch. Let's try to keep this conversation relegated to people with melanin in their skin. Like they say, the darker the berry, the worse the medical standards of care
  • MyChocolateDiet
    Options
    Hilarity ensued
    Just not for her

Well this is going in the direction of my original point. That doing anything closer to home is more comfortable. Not just for the "home-cushy" comfort factor. Also for the what if I have to go back to have it re-checked or followed up on factor. Or what if I have to bring it up to someone after. Like a board, or lawyer, or something. Kind of like how I drive really really carefully when traveling through other states to avoid getting a ticket because I would not likely be able to afford the time off to return to said state to fight a traffic ticket where if I get a ticket here, I can handle it. I'm not saying anything bad will or should happen but just that *kitten* happens everywhere. People are people, human error and whatnot. Why not be close to home where you can have home court advantage in case the need arises?
  • DavPul
    Options

Why research? Apparently they are all qualified and it's racist to think otherwise.

Why posts facts or stats when we can just cast aspersions?
  • Emilie04444
    Emilie04444 Posts: 151 Member
    Options
    Oh my god this reminds me of a story, beer bottle gross story in 3.....2......1

One time I was a mexican and went to a los angeles night club. I was waiting at the bar to order beers for my friends and a drink for me. Then some guy came up behind me and shoved money past me to the bartender ordering something. (I forget his nationality/ethnicity as I'm sure it's important to some of you, but wasn't and isn't to me). So when his drink came before mine, (no surprise money talks and bulls!t walks) I was angered because I had ordered first. When he went even further by being all smug smile and winking at me while I handed him his beer I lost all control. I licked the top of his beer as if to call dibs like a kid who licks the silverware at the table place setting where he wants to sit. He took the beer from my hand grazed my finger and drank it anyway! Even smacking his lips like it was the best beer he ever tasted. If I hadn't been so mad from being cut in line in front of from behind, I'd have laughed and probably dated him. I know, I'm conflicted.

Hmm.. if he was cute it may have been hot and a great story to tell ppl how you met.. I have I thing for jerks though
  • MyChocolateDiet
    Options
    As someone who has lived and travelled in Mexico and Central America, I say go for it. But only under the following conditions:

1) get a dentist recommendation from a wealthier someone (preferably several someones) who lives in the area you want to have your treatment in. Maybe you have an acquaintance who had family there? If you can't do that because you don't know anyone, then don't do it.

2) visit the place ahead of time to meet with the professional

3) if it doesn't feel right, then don't do it.

While quality definitely can vary, México has many state of the art medical institutions that rival those in North America. You just have to find the right place.

I have a few stories from two years in Guatemala that might be illustrative.

First, I had a serious injury and went to an ER and received substandard care that could have, but thankfully didn't, make my injury worse. Later, though, I had a very successful surgery on the injury at a world-class hospital, Centro Medico in Guatemala City, followed by months of effective physical therapy. All the professionals I worked with were competent, kind, and affordable. I should have gone to Centro Medico in the first place, but I hadn't planned for an emergency.

Second story: my husband, who is from Guatemala, lives with me here in the U.S. When he needed his tonsils removed, we decided to have him go to Guate to do it. Even with my supposedly good insurance (I'm a teacher) it was way cheaper for us to fly him down there and pay for the surgery in cash, than to do it here. We are planning on doing the same thing with his wisdom teeth.

Of course, there are security issues in Mexico. Use your brain with that.

My point is this: don't write off health care in developed countries just because so-and-so had a bad experience. Shop carefully and thoroughly, get recommendations from many people, get estimates on writing, and pay attention to gut feelings.

I'd love to know if you go, and how it turns out.

So essentially the same steps one might take in the country they currently live?
  • niceguywi
    niceguywi Posts: 11
    Options
    Look into dental discount programs. Most allow you to sign up and you just have to find a quality dentist that takes them. There is no limit it is mostly a discounted rate thing. It can reduce their normal prices 20-40%. Pay for it for a year then cancel it once all your expensive work is done. It saved me 1,000's of dollars off the full cost when I had my teeth fixed.