Anyone gone to Mexico for dental work??

Options

Replies

• whierd
    whierd Posts: 14,026 Member
    Options
    I never said that EVERY hospital, clinic, dentist, etc in Mexico is of a lower standard. In the larger cities some are world class. But the standard of care varies more widely than in the States. Also, I was trying to point out earlier that people's experiences in Costa Rica do not translate into a similar experience in Mexico.

Yes, medical practitioners are sued all the time in the US. But would the OP be able to sue a Mexican practitioner under similar circumstances? Or as easily in her own country?

i don't think she's hoping to be able to sue. i think she's hoping to get decent dental work at a price she can afford. my point is that bad things happen. and not just when Mexicans are involved.

Can you offer some stats on botched medical jobs comparing the USA, Canada, Mexico, and Costa Rica? Or are you basing your opinions on the "nightly news" like that other guy?

I think having the ability to seek recourse is incredibly important. But yes, bad things happen, even outside of Mexico. Also, the cost of traveling to Mexico will very likely negate any potential cost savings if she's going to a reputable dentist there.

No, I'm basing my opinion on anecdotal evidence and the government warning link that I provided. I can look for actual stats later if the argument persists, though.
  • MexicanOsmosis
    MexicanOsmosis Posts: 382 Member
    Options
    México has many state of the art medical institutions that rival those in North America.

Mexico IS in North America.
  • whierd
    Options
    So all this Mexico, Canada, Costa Rica, etc.... how about a dental school? Whatever your choice, do some research and check out the facility and credentials first.

What about Sweden...let's do Sweden next!

Swedes are a fair complected people. So their health care will be assumed as top notch. Let's try to keep this conversation relegated to people with melanin in their skin. Like they say, the darker the berry, the worse the medical standards of care

Yeah, clearly this is the motivation behind me responses. Because there can be no other possible reason.
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options
    So all this Mexico, Canada, Costa Rica, etc.... how about a dental school? Whatever your choice, do some research and check out the facility and credentials first.

Swedes are a fair complected people. So their health care will be assumed as top notch. Let's try to keep this conversation relegated to people with melanin in their skin. Like they say, the darker the berry, the worse the medical standards of care

Yeah, clearly this is the motivation behind me responses. Because there can be no other possible reason.
    I would happily go to a Mexican dentist practicing in the US. I would not go to Mexico for dental work. It's the country, not the people who happen to live or be from there.
  • MyChocolateDiet
    MyChocolateDiet Posts: 22,281 Member
    Options
    México has many state of the art medical institutions that rival those in North America.

...aaaaaaaaaaaand hooked! You thought you could just sit by the sidelines and watch, huh? You thought!
  • MexicanOsmosis
    Options

...aaaaaaaaaaaand hooked! You thought you could just sit by the sidelines and watch, huh? You thought!

I knooooooow, dammit.

tumblr_ljvii5T6hZ1qzdefpo1_500.png
  • whierd
    Options

I would happily go to a Mexican dentist practicing in the US. I would not go to Mexico for dental work. It's the country, not the people who happen to live or be from there.

Still racist.
  • MyChocolateDiet
    Options
    Aw screw it OP. This is getting too complicated.

Just stay home.

http://www.diynetwork.com/
    10200_2001.jpg
    Pliers_image.jpg
    tumblr_ln61siZu0g1qhkbxoo1_400.jpg
  • MexicanOsmosis
    Options

Still racist.

tumblr_l9a6t1J4gy1qa4jiro1_r1_500.jpg
  • Emilie04444
    Emilie04444 Posts: 151 Member
    Options
    Still racist.

It's predjudice
  • ckmama
    ckmama Posts: 1,668 Member
    Options
    $5 K is a deal. I've put out over $30 K in 10 years on mine and I still have issue.
  • KenosFeoh
    KenosFeoh Posts: 1,837 Member
    Options
    I went to San Jose del Cabo (Los Cabos), Mexico to have 12 crowns. My local clinic estimated $16,000 AFTER my insurance paid its share. Angel Touch Dental Clinic did my crowns for $6,000.00. Angel Touch was very clean and modern, and the dentist was very professional, understanding (I have dental anxiety), and gentle. It took 2 weeks.

I'm very happy 5 or 6 years later. Not one problem.

But take pain medication with you. You can get things like Vicodin over the counter in Mexico, but it costs $10.00 per pill.

Angel Touch Dental Clinic was written up in USA Today (if memory serves).

There's no reason to fear Mexican medical procedures. But do some homework; don't walk into just any old corner office.
  • kaybeau
    kaybeau Posts: 198 Member
    Options
    dental holidays are really popular here in the uk. You go to a ocal dentist for all your scans and then pop to bulgaria and get your new smile.. follow up is at home but at £1,500 per tooth in the uk most people want to save some money!!
  • rml_16
    Options

Still racist.
    Or countryist?
  • Emilie04444
    Emilie04444 Posts: 151 Member
    Options
    Aw screw it OP. This is getting too complicated.

Just stay home.

http://www.diynetwork.com/
    10200_2001.jpg
    Pliers_image.jpg
    tumblr_ln61siZu0g1qhkbxoo1_400.jpg

LMAO at the tequila....
  • MyChocolateDiet
    Options

Still racist.
    Or countryist?

what about dentist? lets do dentist?
  • GnomeLove
    GnomeLove Posts: 379
    Options
    Why does everyone think so poorly of Mexicans? The underlying racism here is quite alarming. It's barely a notch above claiming Mexicans piss in their beers.

Have you ever been to Mexico? And not just the fancy tourist areas....The last time I was in Mexico I had to step over a body (drunk?) and got offered drugs 2 times. All this not even a minute from the border.

And have you ever tasted Mexican beer??? :huh:
  • rml_16
    Options

Still racist.
    Or countryist?

what about dentist? lets do dentist?
    Dentistist?
  • squaregum
    squaregum Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    Why does everyone think so poorly of Mexicans? The underlying racism here is quite alarming. It's barely a notch above claiming Mexicans piss in their beers.

Haven't you ever watched the movie Desperado?

OMG, You base your knowledge on Hollywood movies?
  • whierd
    Options

Have you ever been to Mexico? And not just the fancy tourist areas....The last time I was in Mexico I had to step over a body (drunk?) and got offered drugs 2 times. All this not even a minute from the border.

And have you ever tasted Mexican beer??? :huh:

To be fair, have you ever been to Detroit? :laugh: