Anyone gone to Mexico for dental work??

Options

Replies

• GnomeLove
    GnomeLove Posts: 379
    Options
    Why does everyone think so poorly of Mexicans? The underlying racism here is quite alarming. It's barely a notch above claiming Mexicans piss in their beers.

Have you ever been to Mexico? And not just the fancy tourist areas....The last time I was in Mexico I had to step over a body (drunk?) and got offered drugs 2 times. All this not even a minute from the border.

And have you ever tasted Mexican beer??? :huh:

To be fair, have you ever been to Detroit? :laugh:

chap.jpg
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options
    Why does everyone think so poorly of Mexicans? The underlying racism here is quite alarming. It's barely a notch above claiming Mexicans piss in their beers.

Have you ever been to Mexico? And not just the fancy tourist areas....The last time I was in Mexico I had to step over a body (drunk?) and got offered drugs 2 times. All this not even a minute from the border.

To be fair, have you ever been to Detroit? :laugh:
    I don't want to go there, either.
  • sewingdiscontent
    Options
    So all this Mexico, Canada, Costa Rica, etc.... how about a dental school? Whatever your choice, do some research and check out the facility and credentials first.

What about Sweden...let's do Sweden next!

Swedes are a fair complected people. So their health care will be assumed as top notch. Let's try to keep this conversation relegated to people with melanin in their skin. Like they say, the darker the berry, the worse the medical standards of care

You are cracking me up.
  • MexicanOsmosis
    MexicanOsmosis Posts: 382 Member
    Options

Why yes, yes I have been to Mexico. Most definitely not just the fancy tourist areas. You do also know that the border areas are quite possibly some of the worst spots right? Oh no, stepped over a drunk and offered drugs twice?! Stop the presses, something MUST be done. The exact same thing can happen in almost any city here in the US (or the world for that matter) depending on what part of the city you're in. I've also tasted Mexican beer, not a fan of all of them, but the ones I do like are a metric s*** ton better than the flagship American beers (good ole Budweiser, Miller, Coors; now, microbrews, that's a totally different story).

What I don't understand, is how an isolated incident (much less, the taste of their beer) can legitimize having a poor opinion of all Mexicans.

What I also don't understand, is how in the hell this thread went from dentists to this...:huh:
  • GnomeLove
    Options

Why yes, yes I have been to Mexico. Most definitely not just the fancy tourist areas. You do also know that the border areas are quite possibly some of the worst spots right? Oh no, stepped over a drunk and offered drugs twice?! Stop the presses, something MUST be done. The exact same thing can happen in almost any city here in the US (or the world for that matter) depending on what part of the city you're in. I've also tasted Mexican beer, not a fan of all of them, but the ones I do like are a metric s*** ton better than the flagship American beers (good ole Budweiser, Miller, Coors; now, microbrews, that's a totally different story).

What I don't understand, is how an isolated incident (much less, the taste of their beer) can legitimize having a poor opinion of all Mexicans.

What I also don't understand, is how in the hell this thread went from dentists to this...:huh:

Good God....someone is taking themselves a little too seriously today.

Here, have a taco and calm down.

tumblr_mcu7m4ULMI1rufjqb.gif
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options
    México has many state of the art medical institutions that rival those in North America.

Mexico IS in North America.

maybe. but those people most certainly are not Americans. amirite?
  • MexicanOsmosis
    Options

HOW DARE YOU...not give me my favorite kind of taco.
    Tacos-al-Pastor.jpg
  • GnomeLove
    Options

HOW DARE YOU...not give me my favorite kind of taco.
    Tacos-al-Pastor.jpg

Now that we have exchanged tacos of peace, I should explain the inner-workings of my lily white mind. I lived a couple of minutes from Juarez for a few years and it left a really bad opinion of Mexico with me. Which, if you are familiar with the area, is to be expected. To be fair, yes, I should give all of Mexico a chance.
  • MexicanOsmosis
    Options
    Now that we have exchanged tacos of peace, I should explain the inner-workings of my lily white mind. I lived a couple of minutes from Juarez for a few years and it left a really bad opinion of Mexico with me. Which, if you are familiar with the area, is to be expected. To be fair, yes, I should give all of Mexico a chance.

Yeeaah, a place like that would leave a bad taste in most people's mouths...pun both intended and not intended.
  • teenXidle
    teenXidle Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    Im Canadian,

My dad and I went to Costa Rica and he got some dental work done there..
    Good quality, Great price. Fabulous vacation!

Costa Rica is not Mexico.

If you are just going to troll this post, why even reply?
    You're not helping this person make a decision.
  • whierd
    whierd Posts: 14,026 Member
    Options
    Im Canadian,

If you are just going to troll this post, why even reply?
    You're not helping this person make a decision.

How was I trolling? I assumed that people would understand the subtly of what I was implying. Costa Rica is not Mexico, therefore someone's experiences in Costa Rica do not translate to how someone would experience something similar in Mexico.

You're welcome.
  • Lesa_Sass
    Lesa_Sass Posts: 2,213 Member
    Options
    I met several people while we were in Cozumel that were there for dental work. They fit a nice vacation AND dental work for less than the price of the dental work to be done in the USA. Cozumel is one of the nicer parts of Mexico.

Costa Rica is nice and way cleaner than Mexico.

Google for reviews, there are always a couple people that give everything 5 stars and a couple people that would rate a free trip to Hawaii poorly. Just find the ones with the most "good" reviews.

When you have thousands and thousands of dollars worth of dental work to be done, a good dentist in Mexico or South America is not a bad idea. But do your research first.............
  • 122ish
    122ish Posts: 339 Member
    Options
    I am from Cali and have known many that travel to tj to get dental work. My mom, dad and aunts did regularly because of lack of insurance. I even had a friend who I was surprised to hear did as well (she likes to behave like she is rich, only wears name brand etc and brags about it) I never heard any complaints from them, but it was all routine work, teeth pulled, cavities and root canals.

But my dads friend had some front crowns put in and my dad says they look so fake especially in comparison to mine, where the dentist needed X-rays to realize I had crowns.

Guess if u can see actual results and do extensive research it might turn out ok. Or try and just get several quotes from dentist in your area. I had to spend tons on my teeth. I had cracked my two front teeth in my early teens and I can say that it was the best Money I ever spent, no more covering my mouth when I smile, no more not smiling.
  • jsiricos
    jsiricos Posts: 338 Member
    Options
    We have an awesome Dental School here, I trust them with my entire families teeth
  • melindasuefritz
    melindasuefritz Posts: 3,509 Member
    Options
    GOD NO is the only thing I keep thinking.

In the US you have/get insurance to have issues fixed or you wait until you do.
  • melindasuefritz
    Options
    We have an awesome Dental School here, I trust them with my entire families teeth
  • juicemoogan
    juicemoogan Posts: 999 Member
    Options
    Im Canadian,

Fabulous vacation for you or for him? My guess is for you. For him, I'm guessing stress before and after the procedure, no?

Yes I know Costa Rica is not Mexico,
    But I was offering my experience on an alternate medical tourism destination, which is the topic of the thread.

Fabulous trip for both of us,
    No stress for him at all.
    Clinic was great, clean, professional, very friendly, and the work was done very well, he is considering going back.

Do your research, read customer reviews, and don't go for the cheapest place you can find, and you should be fine.
  • melindasuefritz
    Options
    NO WAY !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  • ladymiseryali
    ladymiseryali Posts: 2,555 Member
    Options
    Why not try gofundme.com? It's like a kickstarter, but you can raise money for anything. People have raised money for cancer treatments. Yes, you need to rely on the kindness of strangers, but that would be a better idea than going to Mexico and HOPING to get good care.......
  • jnite
    jnite Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    My husbands aunt is a dental assistant here in Alberta. We were just talking about this the other day.... it is a roll of the dice, you may get lucky, you may not... she knows of some people who have went down and all is good. Then there are those that got it done, come back home and are paying more than the initial problem to get fixed what they screwed up, or didn't do right.

It is really what you want to risk, your choice, personally I wouldn't, but again weigh your risks and make an informed decision.