• zyxst
    zyxst Posts: 9,136 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
    Francl27 wrote: »
    1/2 a cup,(125g) , is a lot of frozen yogurt!!! :*

Half a cup = 125 ml. NOT grams. Most ice cream/frozen yogurt servings are 100g or less...

Volumes =/ weights.

To add to that, I haven't had a frozen yogurt that didn't clock in around 65g.

The one I have right now is 86g but it has caramel swirls.

What kind?

Oikos salted caramel.
    zyxst wrote: »

Half a cup = 125 ml. NOT grams. Most ice cream/frozen yogurt servings are 100g or less...

Volumes =/ weights.

I've been logging ice cream as 113 g for 1/2 cup (4 oz = 113 g if my conversions are correct). For as much complaining that's done about the "useless" Imperial system, it's still the go-to measurement for semi-solids like ice cream, PB, margarine, canned fruits and veggies, etc. Apparently the nutritional info labelers believe volume = liquid since 1/2 c = 125 mL. On here, you get told to not use cups and measuring spoons, but no one offers proper advice on how to weigh out semi-solids such as ice cream other than "buy a pint and eat it all" or "melt it, then weigh it". Of course, that then leads to the "you're not weighing your food correctly" comments if you ask for any help.

That's what's surprised me since I've used a food scale. The labels don't show proper conversions of Imperial and metric weights and measures. Thank gods I can figure out how to convert between the two.

Volume =/ weight. 1/2 cup is 4 FLUID ounces.

You're probably eating 30% or 40% extra calories from your ice cream or frozen yogurt. If you can't find the weight per serving in the database, google it and see if you can find the nutrition information on the US site. If you can't find the exact brand, find an equivalent one, but there is no ice cream or frozen yogurt brand that has a serving size of 113g.

I know that Canada is annoying for that but the ONLY thing that weighs 113g for 4 fluid ounces is water. So no, apparently you don't know how to convert between the two.

Okay, so enlighten me with the gram weight of 4 fluid ounces of ice cream. I'd like to also add butter, margarine, yogurt, salad dressing, and sauces like Ragu and bbq to that list. All have mL and Imperial measurements and since the only thing that 1 mL = 1 gram is water, please convert these for the rest of us who can't weigh out properly.

How much does 30mL of bbq sauce, 1/2 cup of pasta sauce, 2 tsp of butter, 15 mL of ranch dressing weigh?
  • Gska17
    Gska17 Posts: 752 Member
    Options
    Caitwn wrote: »
    Salad dressing. I was so sad when I couldn't drown my veggies in ranch.

Cereal was a hard one too, but I am getting darn good at pouring 31g of my Special K Protein.

Not to derail, but try the Bolthouse Farms yogurt dressings. 45 calories for 2T of their Peppercorn Ranch, and it is yummy (all their flavors are yummy).

What flavor did you get? I was excited to try the blue cheese but thought it was so gross. :'(
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options

Volumes =/ weights.

What kind?

Oikos salted caramel.

Volumes =/ weights.

I've been logging ice cream as 113 g for 1/2 cup (4 oz = 113 g if my conversions are correct). For as much complaining that's done about the "useless" Imperial system, it's still the go-to measurement for semi-solids like ice cream, PB, margarine, canned fruits and veggies, etc. Apparently the nutritional info labelers believe volume = liquid since 1/2 c = 125 mL. On here, you get told to not use cups and measuring spoons, but no one offers proper advice on how to weigh out semi-solids such as ice cream other than "buy a pint and eat it all" or "melt it, then weigh it". Of course, that then leads to the "you're not weighing your food correctly" comments if you ask for any help.

That's what's surprised me since I've used a food scale. The labels don't show proper conversions of Imperial and metric weights and measures. Thank gods I can figure out how to convert between the two.

You're probably eating 30% or 40% extra calories from your ice cream or frozen yogurt. If you can't find the weight per serving in the database, google it and see if you can find the nutrition information on the US site. If you can't find the exact brand, find an equivalent one, but there is no ice cream or frozen yogurt brand that has a serving size of 113g.

I know that Canada is annoying for that but the ONLY thing that weighs 113g for 4 fluid ounces is water. So no, apparently you don't know how to convert between the two.

Okay, so enlighten me with the gram weight of 4 fluid ounces of ice cream. I'd like to also add butter, margarine, yogurt, salad dressing, and sauces like Ragu and bbq to that list. All have mL and Imperial measurements and since the only thing that 1 mL = 1 gram is water, please convert these for the rest of us who can't weigh out properly.

How much does 30mL of bbq sauce, 1/2 cup of pasta sauce, 2 tsp of butter, 15 mL of ranch dressing weigh?

Depends on the brand. Look for an equivalent in the database. Ice cream is typically 65g to 100g a serving but it depends on the brand and mix in obviously.

For bbq sauce here a serving is usually 35g. For dressing it's about the same. Pasta sauce 125g, butter I forgot but it's in the database.
  • shrinkingletters
    shrinkingletters Posts: 1,008 Member
    Options
    Protein: I was severely overestimating the weight of meats and such. This was a happy surprise. More food!
  • Gska17
    Gska17 Posts: 752 Member
    Options
    Gska17 wrote: »
    Salad dressing. I was so sad when I couldn't drown my veggies in ranch.

Cereal was a hard one too, but I am getting darn good at pouring 31g of my Special K Protein.

Not to derail, but try the Bolthouse Farms yogurt dressings. 45 calories for 2T of their Peppercorn Ranch, and it is yummy (all their flavors are yummy).

What flavor did you get? I was excited to try the blue cheese but thought it was so gross. :'(

I like their honey mustard, caramelized sweet onion, cilantro avocado, and classic ranch flavors. I kinda feel like bleu cheese dressing is one of those things that can only taste right if you make it in all of its full-fat glory, so I don't even try reduced-calorie or reduced-fat versions.

Makes sense! I might try another.
  • zyxst
    zyxst Posts: 9,136 Member
    Options

Volumes =/ weights.

What kind?

Oikos salted caramel.

Volumes =/ weights.

Depends on the brand. Look for an equivalent in the database. Ice cream is typically 65g to 100g a serving but it depends on the brand and mix in obviously.

For bbq sauce here a serving is usually 35g. For dressing it's about the same. Pasta sauce 125g, butter I forgot but it's in the database.

So it's just check the food database then? Thank you, but that doesn't help since 1/2 cup/125mL is the listed size. I'll stick with 113 grams and stay overweight. Yes, I'm being b!tchy about it because you're telling me that I'm measuring wrong (which I understand because I am), but don't offer any solution on how to fix it except check an unreliable database that changes on an hourly basis. I'm having a lol over pasta sauce being 125 g but ice cream has to be <100 g.
  • Faithful_Chosen
    Faithful_Chosen Posts: 401 Member
    Options
    Mushrooms! Always lighter than I think they will be. Seeds like sesame, poppy, hemp, etc. always weigh less than I think they will. Berries, too, of course. I always get more potato for my gram than expected.
    Yoghurt always weighs more than I think it will, though, and cheese too...
  • Francl27
    Options

Volumes =/ weights.

What kind?

Oikos salted caramel.

Volumes =/ weights.

So it's just check the food database then? Thank you, but that doesn't help since 1/2 cup/125mL is the listed size. I'll stick with 113 grams and stay overweight. Yes, I'm being b!tchy about it because you're telling me that I'm measuring wrong (which I understand because I am), but don't offer any solution on how to fix it except check an unreliable database that changes on an hourly basis. I'm having a lol over pasta sauce being 125 g but ice cream has to be <100 g.

If you can't find the exact brand, find something similar with a listing in grams. It's not rocket science, and it will probably be closer than your 113g of ice cream anyway.

But whatever, just keep eating 30% more ice cream, it's only 75 extra calories after all.
  • bbontheb
    bbontheb Posts: 718 Member
    Options
    bbontheb wrote: »
    Wait, so can someone tell me how to weigh my sorbet? I've been doing it wrong apparently. 125ml of Chapman's sorbet...do I use a measuring cup? lol

Well from what I've seen, sorbet is everywhere from 73g to 105g for a serving. But Chapman is 80 calories per serving, which seems closer to the ones that are 75-80g per serving, so I'd use 80g, personally.

The ones that seem to be 100g per serving are typically 120 calories.

Anyway, I'd just check the database in this case to find something similar in calories as a base of comparison (which obviously is annoying because most people don't enter grams in the database unfortunately).

Thank you so much! I really appreciate this. This is totally new to me and I feel totally thrown off thinking of the past few months of what I have been eating!
  • bbontheb
    bbontheb Posts: 718 Member
    Options

No need for this tone. She is trying to be helpful.
  • Francl27
    Options
    Wait, so can someone tell me how to weigh my sorbet? I've been doing it wrong apparently. 125ml of Chapman's sorbet...do I use a measuring cup? lol

Well from what I've seen, sorbet is everywhere from 73g to 105g for a serving. But Chapman is 80 calories per serving, which seems closer to the ones that are 75-80g per serving, so I'd use 80g, personally.

The ones that seem to be 100g per serving are typically 120 calories.

Anyway, I'd just check the database in this case to find something similar in calories as a base of comparison (which obviously is annoying because most people don't enter grams in the database unfortunately).

Thank you so much! I really appreciate this. This is totally new to me and I feel totally thrown off thinking of the past few months of what I have been eating!

Yeah it sucks. I don't get why they just don't give the weight, it's not exactly easy to cram ice cream in a measuring cup to know exactly how much you're getting (although I guess you could).
  • dizzieblondeuk
    dizzieblondeuk Posts: 286 Member
    Options
    Yeah it sucks. I don't get why they just don't give the weight, it's not exactly easy to cram ice cream in a measuring cup to know exactly how much you're getting (although I guess you could).
    It's annoying when manufacturers use what appears to be a randomly selected 'portion' size. Luckily, the vast majority do quote per 100g, no matter what the other quoted figures on there. If you can do basic calculations (or your computer calculator can!), it's fairly straightforward to work out the amount. My way round stuff like not knowing the weight of something like ice cream is to weigh your ice cream carton/container. Zero the scale, take out your portion, reweigh, and the minus figure is how much you've had. I do this (thanks to someone else's tip) for lots of things, like jars of mayo, ketchup etc, where the individual weight of semi-liquid products is a *kitten* to work out.

Thanks to MFP forum advice, I've fairly quickly made sense of all the food diary entries, and how to find the ones that are most accurate. That's definitely changed how I measure my food - it was usually in grams, but I didn't start off measuring things that had a stated amount on the pack. Now I know that things like individual yogurt pots aren't necessarily the weight stated, I always do a quick weigh, and recalculate accordingly. Preparing my lunch the night before gives me tonnes of time to enter the items, and work out my calorie numbers before the day even starts!