Now that you weigh your food

Options

Replies

• tomatoey
    tomatoey Posts: 5,446 Member
    Options
    Maybe a little off topic however, I used my scale the other day to show my young boys that YES YOU AND YOUR BROTHER HAVE THE SAME AMOUNT OF MAC N CHEESE. We haven't had that argument since!!!

Ha! Awesome :)

(I so wish my mom did this ~30 years ago)
  • AspenDan
    AspenDan Posts: 703 Member
    Options
    I eat peanut butter in my oatmeal almost every day, so now my idea of what 32g of PB is is damn near spot on..I put exactly half a serving on the knife both times for toast today hahaha. Good stuff.
  • RuNaRoUnDaFiEld
    RuNaRoUnDaFiEld Posts: 5,864 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
    For me it was the realisation that a 200g pack was not 200g at all once I weighed it. I never used to weigh full units, IE a 100g pack of cooked chicken. I just logged 100g, they can be anywhere from 100g to 120g!
  • VandyGear03
    VandyGear03 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I'm mostly shocked by just how many calories I have to be eating when I'm not counting! Unfortunately, I've done this calorie counting dance several times, and each time I don't even have to measure exact portions (except for desserts and bread/cereal) to lose the first thirty pounds or so. Just being honest about how much I THINK I'm eating is enough to make me lose substantial weight. That means I'm just hugely exceeding my caloric needs when I don't log my food. It's really eye-opening.
  • barbecuesauce
    barbecuesauce Posts: 1,771 Member
    Options
    I'm mostly shocked by just how many calories I have to be eating when I'm not counting! Unfortunately, I've done this calorie counting dance several times, and each time I don't even have to measure exact portions (except for desserts and bread/cereal) to lose the first thirty pounds or so. Just being honest about how much I THINK I'm eating is enough to make me lose substantial weight. That means I'm just hugely exceeding my caloric needs when I don't log my food. It's really eye-opening.

I lost my first 30 pounds without a food scale, then I started losing less than a pound a week while still overweight. I was definitely logging every bite, but 1/4 of a recipe is a terribly inexact way to go about it!
  • geoffbeckett
    geoffbeckett Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    When weighing pasta, I presume it's weighed dry?
  • PeachyCarol
    PeachyCarol Posts: 8,029 Member
    Options
    When weighing pasta, I presume it's weighed dry?

Yup.

Add me to the people pleasantly surprised by cottage and feta cheeses and very surprised by eggs and packaged products.

• zyxst
    zyxst Posts: 9,136 Member
    Options
    Francl27 wrote: »
    1/2 a cup,(125g) , is a lot of frozen yogurt!!! :*

Half a cup = 125 ml. NOT grams. Most ice cream/frozen yogurt servings are 100g or less...

Volumes =/ weights.

I've been logging ice cream as 113 g for 1/2 cup (4 oz = 113 g if my conversions are correct). For as much complaining that's done about the "useless" Imperial system, it's still the go-to measurement for semi-solids like ice cream, PB, margarine, canned fruits and veggies, etc. Apparently the nutritional info labelers believe volume = liquid since 1/2 c = 125 mL. On here, you get told to not use cups and measuring spoons, but no one offers proper advice on how to weigh out semi-solids such as ice cream other than "buy a pint and eat it all" or "melt it, then weigh it". Of course, that then leads to the "you're not weighing your food correctly" comments if you ask for any help.

That's what's surprised me since I've used a food scale. The labels don't show proper conversions of Imperial and metric weights and measures. Thank gods I can figure out how to convert between the two.
  • icck
    icck Posts: 197 Member
    Options
    I was shocked by how much I was overestimating a lot of foods, especially things like peanut butter or sauces. I'm a lot more satisfied now than I was when doing it all by eye.

My main "bad" was for the weight of fruit and vegetables, especially apples. I *love* apples and was really shocked to realise just what that did to my calories for the day.
  • aussie_girl_del_runner_5
    Options
    It was yoghurt for me, I started buying the individual tubs of 160g each but moved to the big 1kgs tubs because I was going through it too fast each week. I would spoon out what I thought was 160g but it wasn't until i started weighing that it was anywhere between 115g - 155g; certainly not the 160g I was eyeballing before. At least I was underestimating :-)
  • cleanbulk_hatersgfy
    cleanbulk_hatersgfy Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    Nuts. Love all my nuts. A quarter cup is not that much.
  • LivingtheLeanDream
    LivingtheLeanDream Posts: 13,342 Member
    Options
    Cereal - too small a portion when weighed and wouldn't fill a hole in my tooth! I no longer eat the stuff, instead choose something filling and that will last out til lunchtime (good old eggs!)

And nuts!! they were an eye opener! soo many cals for so few....awwww!
  • levitateme
    levitateme Posts: 999 Member
    Options
    I get more cheese now. I also know that a package that claims 'about 2' servings is rarely true, it can be much more or much less.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options

Half a cup = 125 ml. NOT grams. Most ice cream/frozen yogurt servings are 100g or less...

Volumes =/ weights.

To add to that, I haven't had a frozen yogurt that didn't clock in around 65g.

The one I have right now is 86g but it has caramel swirls.

What kind?

Oikos salted caramel.
    zyxst wrote: »

Volumes =/ weights.

I've been logging ice cream as 113 g for 1/2 cup (4 oz = 113 g if my conversions are correct). For as much complaining that's done about the "useless" Imperial system, it's still the go-to measurement for semi-solids like ice cream, PB, margarine, canned fruits and veggies, etc. Apparently the nutritional info labelers believe volume = liquid since 1/2 c = 125 mL. On here, you get told to not use cups and measuring spoons, but no one offers proper advice on how to weigh out semi-solids such as ice cream other than "buy a pint and eat it all" or "melt it, then weigh it". Of course, that then leads to the "you're not weighing your food correctly" comments if you ask for any help.

That's what's surprised me since I've used a food scale. The labels don't show proper conversions of Imperial and metric weights and measures. Thank gods I can figure out how to convert between the two.

Volume =/ weight. 1/2 cup is 4 FLUID ounces.

You're probably eating 30% or 40% extra calories from your ice cream or frozen yogurt. If you can't find the weight per serving in the database, google it and see if you can find the nutrition information on the US site. If you can't find the exact brand, find an equivalent one, but there is no ice cream or frozen yogurt brand that has a serving size of 113g.

I know that Canada is annoying for that but the ONLY thing that weighs 113g for 4 fluid ounces is water. So no, apparently you don't know how to convert between the two.
  • AmazonMayan
    AmazonMayan Posts: 1,168 Member
    Options
    I was surprised about cheese in a good way. I always knew calories could add up with it and didn't care.... I shred cheese myself from a block and always stop before an ounce thinking it's a lot then am happy i can have more. It helps to have a strong flavored cheese and put it on the top of things and not hidden inside things as far as tasting those calories. I no longer eat burgers with cheese unless it's with a really good cheese I can taste.

Cereal I found a way to have more - I weigh a portion or 1.5 portions of my yummy cereal, amount depends on calories I can use, then I add a serving of puffed kamut and mix it in - 15g is more than it seems it would be and only 50 calories.

Baked goods surprised me...the weights vary so much and a lot of the time a pre-cut slice of this or that is higher weight than stated on the package and enough to make an impact, especially if someone has a small deficit to work with.
  • bbontheb
    bbontheb Posts: 718 Member
    Options
    Wait, so can someone tell me how to weigh my sorbet? I've been doing it wrong apparently. 125ml of Chapman's sorbet...do I use a measuring cup? lol

• peaceout_aly
    peaceout_aly Posts: 2,018 Member
    Options
    This makes me feel the need to get a food scale, like urgently.
  • terar21
    terar21 Posts: 523 Member
    Options
    Ketchup. Ahhh yes. The way people used to go on about condiments I thought it would be ridiculous. A real serving of ketchup is fairly large.
  • spatulamom
    spatulamom Posts: 158 Member
    Options
    Maybe a little off topic however, I used my scale the other day to show my young boys that YES YOU AND YOUR BROTHER HAVE THE SAME AMOUNT OF MAC N CHEESE. We haven't had that argument since!!!

I love this! I only have one kid, but I may have to use this when the cousins are over.

I used mine to weigh my kitten. He's little enough to do it, the trick is just getting his furry butt to stay still long enough to read it. (My older cat? He'd break it.)
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    bbontheb wrote: »
    Wait, so can someone tell me how to weigh my sorbet? I've been doing it wrong apparently. 125ml of Chapman's sorbet...do I use a measuring cup? lol

Well from what I've seen, sorbet is everywhere from 73g to 105g for a serving. But Chapman is 80 calories per serving, which seems closer to the ones that are 75-80g per serving, so I'd use 80g, personally.

The ones that seem to be 100g per serving are typically 120 calories.

Anyway, I'd just check the database in this case to find something similar in calories as a base of comparison (which obviously is annoying because most people don't enter grams in the database unfortunately).