Ok. I give up. I open my diary to your judgement.

Options
14567810»

Replies

• Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
    half_moon wrote: »
    yirara wrote: »
    apart from not weighing your food: I don't know how long ago your surgery was and what was exactly done. But it might be possible that it had some impact on your hormones. I don't want to lay the blame to hormones, but it might make things more difficult.

The doctor removed a part of my cervix that had cancer cells. I'm not sure that the surgery would affect my hormones.

Loop Diathermy or similar? No that won't affect your hormones

But the stress may affect weight loss
  • MamaBirdBoss
    MamaBirdBoss Posts: 1,516 Member
    Options
    apart from not weighing your food: I don't know how long ago your surgery was and what was exactly done. But it might be possible that it had some impact on your hormones. I don't want to lay the blame to hormones, but it might make things more difficult.

The doctor removed a part of my cervix that had cancer cells. I'm not sure that the surgery would affect my hormones.

Nope.
  • PeachyCarol
    PeachyCarol Posts: 8,029 Member
    Options
    @half_moon, you are awesome for coming back to this thread and apologizing. You are a rarity around these parts. I'm sorry for your health struggles, and just know that you got this *kitten*. All of it.

Agreed!

I've held back on responding to this thread because I'd lost faith in the general direction of the forums, but half_moon, you're a breath of fresh air.
  • slaite1
    slaite1 Posts: 1,307 Member
    Options

I had the same done. Did they use LEEP? It only hindered my weight loss bc I could not exercise for a while. It does not effect your hormones, but it is pretty stressful. My period was pretty all over the place for a while, though, which definitely had an impact on my energy and mood.
  • yopeeps025
    yopeeps025 Posts: 8,680 Member
    Options
    hmmm I guess I will ask again.

OP so you did etc the last time to lose weight and it work. This time you do the same etc and it is not working. My question is why do you keep doing the same etc when it does not work?
  • fidangul
    fidangul Posts: 673 Member
    Options
    I'd like to share with you what I do. If it works for you too then great. I don't have a kitchen scale but I first used to have ready measured foods or used the "cups" system. Now I'm not so bad at eyeballing but still I input slightly less calories because you always end up having more than you think.

Similarly, with exercise for example; I do a 60 minute class of zumba but I only input say 45mins becuase there's the little water breaks,catch your breath brakes or simply that evey song(workout) is not as vigorous as the other. You get the gist.

It's worked for me before when I lost about 40kg but then fell pregnant back to back without having the chance to sustain it. The only difference for me now it that I have joined the community here and the support and motivation plays a huge impact on my journey.

What we all have to do is be totally honest with our selves. The scale doesn't lie. If I don't lose anything that week I look back at my diary and I definitely find something wrong. Either I eat the wrong foods even though I'm still below my calorie count or not enough activity or something something something. But there is always that something.

Anywho good luck and I hope I have been helpful.
  • I_Will_End_You
    I_Will_End_You Posts: 4,397 Member
    Options

Yeah, that shouldn't hinder weight loss.

If you still don't want to go the food scale route, I would suggest looking at your diary, mainly at foods you eat often, and seeing where you can shave calories. That's basically what I did. I started buying low cal bread, English muffins, salad dressing, and yogurt. Used mustard instead of mayo on sandwiches, cut back on mindless snacking, and cut out a lot of higher calorie beverages. I still go to restaurants, but I try really had to save half of it for lunch the next day, and when I'm feeling really disciplined, go for the lower calorie sides. I'll get grilled asparagus with my entree instead of pasta, stuff like that. I made a habit of bringing my lunch to work every day and pre-logging it, instead of ordering out. Saves money and calories! I save buying food for coworker birthdays, holidays, or if the company is buying. Just some tips for you to kick around!
  • malibu927
    malibu927 Posts: 17,565 Member
    Options
    fidangul wrote: »
    I'd like to share with you what I do. If it works for you too then great. I don't have a kitchen scale but I first used to have ready measured foods or used the "cups" system. Now I'm not so bad at eyeballing but still I input slightly less calories because you always end up having more than you think.

Similarly, with exercise for example; I do a 60 minute class of zumba but I only input say 45mins becuase there's the little water breaks,catch your breath brakes or simply that evey song(workout) is not as vigorous as the other. You get the gist.

It's worked for me before when I lost about 40kg but then fell pregnant back to back without having the chance to sustain it. The only difference for me now it that I have joined the community here and the support and motivation plays a huge impact on my journey.

What we all have to do is be totally honest with our selves. The scale doesn't lie. If I don't lose anything that week I look back at my diary and I definitely find something wrong. Either I eat the wrong foods even though I'm still below my calorie count or not enough activity or something something something. But there is always that something.

Anywho good luck and I hope I have been helpful.

If you can lose weight without needing a food scale, you're in a lot better place than many people on here. I still underestimate if I try to eyeball how much I'm eating.

However, the only "wrong foods" to eat are too much food. One week without a loss can mean a myriad of things, especially when you're doing everything right.
  • LeslieB042812
    LeslieB042812 Posts: 1,799 Member
    Options
    So, I feel like everyone here has given great advice and we're getting into the repetitive zone. But I do have one more thing to add. Where I think things like paleo can be helpful is in finding the foods that keep you full on lower calories and getting into the habit of only eating those. I concur with the folks who state that they need to still weigh everything in paleo because those foods (while healthy) can add up! One meal of steak with avocado and veggies cooked in olive oil can easily top 1000 calories. However, I find those calories to be much more filling than similar calories with higher carbs and sugars. It can be helpful to focus on whole foods with fat and protein to stay full on fewer calories, but you still need to measure them.

My recommendation is to absolutely weigh your food (you'll be surprised), especially calorie dense foods. I'm sometimes a bit more lax with things like lettuce but the more lax you are the more imprecise your understanding of your calories will be. For example, say I don't weigh my spinach and what I think is one serving (20 calories) is really 1.5. That's an extra 10 calories. Then I have two pieces of sugar free gum for another 5 calories and the creamer in my coffee is two servings instead of one (and extra 35 calories). I am going into a meeting, so I pop a couple of Altoids for 6 calories and then I take my daily gummy multi-vitamin for 15 calories. All of these "insignificant" calories add up to an extra 71 calories! Plus, I log my apple as a large apple (because it looks big) which is listed as 70 calories, but by weight it is actually 90 calories (this has happened to me!). Then my tangerine is actually 75 calories instead of the 40 in MFP (this has also happened to me!). There's another 55 calories. So, we're well over an extra 100 (126) with just little misses and overages of healthy things. Anyway, that's just an example.

Again, good luck!!!! It's so much easier to give the advice than to actually follow it. I haven't been losing because I've been lazy about my tracking and my eating, but I know that I do lose when i'm not lazy. You can do this if you truly want to!
  • spatulamom
    spatulamom Posts: 158 Member
    Options
    Ninkyou wrote: »
    ....Any scales you guys can recommend?

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00NX47YP4?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=ox_sc_act_title_1&smid=A3FUY11FKEN472

had over 4,000 reviews and highly rated.

Yep I have this one and it's great. Before I got this one, I had a Wal-Mart one that you had to set to grams, by an annoyingly hard to press button UNDER the scale, EVERY time you turned it on. Urgh.
    OdesAngel wrote: »
    And OP - good for you! <3

+1

+2

OP - I know that wasn't easy. I commend you. Here, have a peep.

12427123-large.jpg

How much does the peep weigh?? HOW MUCH? :'(

~ 3 kitten souls

*hides new kitten*
  • half_moon
    half_moon Posts: 807 Member
    Options
    rabbitjb wrote: »

I had a LEEP. It was pretty bad. I was screaming the entire time and telling the Doctor to stop the procedure while the nurse held me down on the table. And that was with a Valium.

I cried probably every day for about two weeks following that. But I didn't eat, either. That is the way I deal with traumatic times. I just stop eating. Then after about a month or two, I binge eat.

That is how I gained the weight back from my last go. I just did general calorie counting and eating pretty much what I am eating now. Working out. Got down to 140. Maintained for a year around 145-150, which was fine for me. The. A friend killed himself and I stopped eating for almost two months. Down to 130. Then I binged for a year. Up to 160 in two years. After my LEEP, didn't eat for a few weeks. Then up to 170 after I recovered.

And here I am again, finally balancing out and attempting to get back into everything. Frustrated because what I did last time isn't working this time around. Depressed because everything was easier in life, losing weight, staying positive. I'm playing the victim this time around, and that is a hard loop to escape from.
  • I_Will_End_You
    I_Will_End_You Posts: 4,397 Member
    Options

I had a LEEP. It was pretty bad. I was screaming the entire time and telling the Doctor to stop the procedure while the nurse held me down on the table. And that was with a Valium.

You were awake?! :o When I had that done, they put me out for it!
  • half_moon
    half_moon Posts: 807 Member
    Options

I should have been knocked out for it. It was awful. The grinding and blood and pain was so traumatic. I was literally screaming and crying. The nurse was apparently there just to hold me down. She was a strong little *kitten*. They said I did "good" -- a normal reaction. I had nightmares for weeks.
  • DuckReconMajor
    DuckReconMajor Posts: 434 Member
    Options
    Good god, it's awful that you had to go through that. I wish you all the luck in the world in your continuing recovery and fitness journey!
  • PrizePopple
    PrizePopple Posts: 3,133 Member
    Options

I should have been knocked out for it. It was awful. The grinding and blood and pain was so traumatic. I was literally screaming and crying. The nurse was apparently there just to hold me down. She was a strong little *kitten*. They said I did "good" -- a normal reaction. I had nightmares for weeks.

Seriously, you get all the right in the world to snap at the free world after putting up with that. That's beyond traumatic.
  • Kimmy82109
    Kimmy82109 Posts: 44 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
    Jeez. A lot of judgemental people here
    OP. I understand your frustration. I've wanted to give up plenty myself. It's OKAY to have bad days!
  • CSARdiver
    CSARdiver Posts: 6,252 Member
    Options

And here I am again, finally balancing out and attempting to get back into everything. Frustrated because what I did last time isn't working this time around. Depressed because everything was easier in life, losing weight, staying positive. I'm playing the victim this time around, and that is a hard loop to escape from.

You beat effing cancer! How badass is that?!

Remove negative people and thoughts from your life. Keep focusing on the positive. It may be harder now, but that make your achievements all the sweeter, yes?

You may have to experiment with a new routine that works for you now, but don't ever give up.
  • WinoGelato
    WinoGelato Posts: 13,454 Member
    Options
    Kimmy82109 wrote: »
    OP. I understand your frustration. I've wanted to give up plenty myself. It's OKAY to have bad days!

You didn't read the whole thread did you?

• SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,943 Member
    Options
    Kimmy82109 wrote: »

There's no judgemental people here, but there are some, including you, who clearly did not read the entire conversation. :)