Ok. I give up. I open my diary to your judgement.

half_moon
half_moon Posts: 807 Member
edited June 2015 in Health and Weight Loss
I'm not sure what to change or what to do at this point, so I give up. I have made my diary open to the public and will lay out my current regime for you here.

And I am begging you for your advice.

Problem: I have been working out and cutting calories now for six weeks, and literally not one pound has fallen off. Prior to the exercise, I was cutting calories for two weeks. So in total, two months of crap for not one pound. I know not to go by the scale, but after two months, I will admit when I need to reevaluate.

Exercise: I go to CrossFit on Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday, Friday, and Saturday. That's five days a week. I burn anywhere from 300 to 650 calories each WOD. We are running, doing bear crawls, lifting heavy weights, lifting small weights, jumping -- you get the idea. We are doing everything.

Diet: Not on a diet perse-- but I count every calorie that I consume. I'm not exactly paleo, but I measure and make smart choices when I can. You can see for yourself. I am consistently in line or under my calorie goals for the day, depending on how many calories I burned in a workout. The occasional nieces birthday doesn't even phase me too much.

My weight: like a stone, the scale is unmoving at around 172. It has been there since April. It will go down to 169 then the next day up to 174, never really impressing me.

My body: I am pretty much still wearing the same clothes I was before. I feel great because of the exercise (yay!) but I will be honest with you, vanity is a big factor in my weight loss. Don't judge. I want to be smaller!

My stats:
Female
5'5"
Lost weight two years ago-- went from 185 to 137 with MFP. I've done this *kitten* before!

Replies

• malibu927
    malibu927 Posts: 17,565 Member
    It's pretty clear you're eating more than you think. Log everything (there are several meals and an entire day missing from what I went through). Weigh everything (I see weights for a few items, but not much). Eating out, if it fits into your calories, is fine but you seem to do it a lot (higher sodium can lead to water weight masking weight loss). Once you tighten up on those things, you should start to lose.
  • auddii
    auddii Posts: 15,357 Member
    So, I randomly noticed that you have some odd entries in your diary (how do you eat 0.7 servings of a lean cuisine? Are you saving the rest for later?). You have some generic and some other things that may not be that accurate. You might want to double check that those are accurate, and if you're going out to eat, I typically look at several different entries and choose the higher calorie ones to over estimate if possible. You also didn't log last Saturday. I know I tend to have a few blow out days, and I don't log because it's a lost cause, but I can easily wipe out a week or two's worth of deficit in a single day.

In addition, if you've just added crossfit, you are likely retaining some water as part of the new fitness program (cortisol levels are up).

While it may not be what you want to hear, tighten up your tracking if possible, and I'd wait another few weeks. If you still don't see any change, try dropping your calories by 100 per day or so. Remember that the intake calculators are estimates, so you might need a goal that is a little lower.

I'd also suggest monthly progress photos as well. Sometimes the scale barely moves, but I can really see a difference when comparing to previous photos.
  • half_moon
    edited June 2015
    malibu927 wrote: »
    It's pretty clear you're eating more than you think. Log everything (there are several meals and an entire day missing from what I went through). Weigh everything (I see weights for a few items, but not much). Eating out, if it fits into your calories, is fine but you seem to do it a lot (higher sodium can lead to water weight masking weight loss). Once you tighten up on those things, you should start to lose.

How is that clear that I am not logging when I am literally logging everything I consume? That day I was in the hospital and barely ate anything, didn't bother to log. Perhaps under eating is an issue for that day? Am I not eating enough?

I pretty much only eat out at Chik fil A. If it is the sodium, I will watch that more. I drink SO much water every day though. Should I drink more?
  • yopeeps025
    yopeeps025 Posts: 8,680 Member
    half_moon wrote: »

How is that clear that I am not logging when I am literally logging everything I consume?

I pretty much only eat out at Chik fil A. If it is the sodium, I will watch that more. I drink SO much water every day though.

high sodium levels will mask weight loss on the scale for a little while. For me it actually does for more than 3 days.
  • half_moon
    To note, the days you see where I am grossly under caloric limit are not days I skipped logging a meal. I just had literally no appetite on those days. It would come back the next day though to make up for the low numbers.
  • malibu927
    malibu927 Posts: 17,565 Member

How is that clear that I am not logging when I am literally logging everything I consume?

I pretty much only eat out at Chik fil A. If it is the sodium, I will watch that more. I drink SO much water every day though.

I looked back two weeks. Two days you didn't log anything, and a handful of other days are missing meals.
  • half_moon
    yopeeps025 wrote: »

high sodium levels will mask weight loss on the scale for a little while. For me it actually does for more than 3 days.

But for two months? I mean I know I could eat fresher foods but I fail to see how two months of eating pretty normally had that big effect.

To me, then, this is proof that CI/CO is a sham, and it really does depend on what you eat. Maybe I should just say screw all and go Paleo. Ugh.
  • gobonas99
    gobonas99 Posts: 1,049 Member
    I see LOTS of entries measured in cups vs weight (which means lots of room for error...in most cases, cups means eating more than you think you are). I also see a LOT of takeout entries - high sodium daily, or every other day or so, WILL mess everything up.
  • half_moon
    edited June 2015

I looked back two weeks. Two days you didn't log anything, and a handful of other days are missing meals.

Unfortunately those handful of missing meals are not missing meals. I skipped dinner on those days due to travel. :(
  • TheVirgoddess
    TheVirgoddess Posts: 4,535 Member
    While I don't really see anything wrong with what you're eating - I do not see a lot of weighed food. Or rather, your weighing is really inconsistent.

You do eat out a lot, but I do, too and I've lost a lot of weight, so I don't think that will hold you back.

Do you scan barcodes, or do you use generic entries?

When is the last time you had a physical?
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,372 Member
    You're not logging every day. You can easily undo a week's deficit if you overeat on the days you don't log.

Lots of take out - lots of sodium that won't help you shed weight, lots of approximation and guesses... you could be way off.

I don't see a lot in term of whole foods... lots of processed stuff... which shouldn't be a big deal but is more likely to be inaccurate if you don't weigh them.

And you don't seem to weigh, so you might be way off there as well on the things you measure, like cereal. Volume units are for liquids, not solids.

• yopeeps025
    yopeeps025 wrote: »

But for two months? I mean I know I could eat fresher foods but I fail to see how two months of eating pretty normally had that big effect.

To me, then, this is proof that CI/CO is a sham, and it really does depend on what you eat. Maybe I should just say screw all and go Paleo. Ugh.

You cannot say that when you data is not correct. Empty days of logging. Unless you saying you didn't eat for a whole day?

Sodium was very high one of these recent days. For my friend it would take him a week before the scale would show a loss.
  • half_moon
    While I don't really see anything wrong with what you're eating - I do not see a lot of weighed food. Or rather, your weighing is really inconsistent.

You do eat out a lot, but I do, too and I've lost a lot of weight, so I don't think that will hold you back.

I had surgery in February, and have been to the doctor several times since then for check ups. I scan barcodes when available, and I ALWAYS over estimate what I am eating. If I don't finish my meal, I don't change my log. I do my best to make up for variances.

I just give up. It shouldn't be this hard. If I have to weigh every bite I put in my mouth and resign myself to never eating out of the house, it isn't worth it. I could have laid around on my *kitten* all summer and still be here. *kitten* ridiculous.
  • J383
    J383 Posts: 4,573 Member
    Do you keep track of your water intake? I use the water bomb from pinterest to keep track. I have anywhere from 96oz of water to 144oz water a day( at least a gal a day). It depends one my workouts and how hot it is. Cutting the calories isn't the problem. To me it looks like you arnt eating enough high proteins. I don't see 3oz of lean meats or tons of veggies. I also notice you don't eat much in the morning, breakfast wise. I would introduce a protein shake of some sort to start off cranking up your metabolism. I have lost 5lbs in 11 days. I also have about 2 protein shakes a day in between meals. I would try not cutting calories but adding high protein to your diet. You are welcome to look at my diary as an example. I know it can be painful not seeing results.
  • yopeeps025

I had surgery in February, and have been to the doctor several times since then for check ups. I scan barcodes when available, and I ALWAYS over estimate what I am eating. If I don't finish my meal, I don't change my log. I do my best to make up for variances.

I just give up. It shouldn't be this hard. If I have to weigh every bite I put in my mouth and resign myself to never eating out of the house, it isn't worth it. I could have laid around on my *kitten* all summer and still be here. *kitten* ridiculous.

You know who you sound like right?

• Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,372 Member

So stay overweight. It's your choice. We're just telling you what you can improve.
  • diannethegeek
    diannethegeek Posts: 14,776 Member

Okay, then quit. There are experienced users here who are trying to help you if you'll engage with them.and let them. But if you truly just want to quit instead then you're wasting their time. It's up to you.

• _benjammin
    _benjammin Posts: 1,224 Member
    I looked at the month of June. You didn't log 2 days. From the 27 days you logged, your average was 1298 calories per day. If you haven't lost any weight I gotta believe you are eating more than you think.
    I wouldn't worry about sodium.
    I would consider getting your protein up. I don't think there was one day this month you got 100 grams.
  • TheVirgoddess
    TheVirgoddess Posts: 4,535 Member

Did they test thyroid function and/or insulin levels?

Weighing your food helps a lot though. I weigh everything at home, and guesstimate high when I'm out. I know it sounds ridiculous, but it's a huge eye opener. My scale gets a lot of credit for the 83 pounds I've lost.

Here's a really good example how easy it is to over-eat without realizing it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vjKPIcI51lU&list=FLxRg_80KHM-BdcHvV7nkgfg&index=1