Ok. I give up. I open my diary to your judgement.

Options

Replies

• Alyssa_Is_LosingIt
    Alyssa_Is_LosingIt Posts: 4,696 Member
    Options
    My personal take is that MFP is so shockingly generous on the amount you are allowed to eat that I am surprised people aren't gaining weight. I do not even log the food personally. I understand the appeal but for me personally the danger is the list becomes permission to eat more. To not lose on a day when my body was ready

What?

Why would you not want to eat as much as you can and still lose weight? I really don't understand this way of thinking.
    To get done sooner. There's a reason that people with 100 pounds to lose don't have to lose at .25 pounds per week, for example.

While I understand that, I don't understand the thinking laid out by Robert in the post that I quoted. Who cares if my workouts give me permission to eat a little more? What's wrong with that?

He was also hailing a VLCD in another thread, so I was thinking more along the lines of a VLCD. I don't have an issue with people trying to lose up to 2 lbs a week if they have the weight to lose.
  • DeguelloTex
    DeguelloTex Posts: 6,658 Member
    Options
    My personal take is that MFP is so shockingly generous on the amount you are allowed to eat that I am surprised people aren't gaining weight. I do not even log the food personally. I understand the appeal but for me personally the danger is the list becomes permission to eat more. To not lose on a day when my body was ready

What?

Why would you not want to eat as much as you can and still lose weight? I really don't understand this way of thinking.
    To get done sooner. There's a reason that people with 100 pounds to lose don't have to lose at .25 pounds per week, for example.

While I understand that, I don't understand the thinking laid out by Robert in the post that I quoted. Who cares if my workouts give me permission to eat a little more? What's wrong with that?

He was also hailing a VLCD in another thread, so I was thinking more along the lines of a VLCD. I don't have an issue with people trying to lose up to 2 lbs a week if they have the weight to lose.
    Oh, I'm certainly not defending him or his positions.

If someone's goal is a deficit of X and that's what they want to stick to, even if they could do X + Y, that's perfectly reasonable in my view. I don't think there's anything at all wrong with eating a little more because of workouts or, heck, working out for the specific purpose of being able to eat a little more.
  • Luzz4
    Luzz4 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    The video posted earlier was fantastic in demonstrating how portion control and weighing can be crucial. The advice throughout was spot on. Eating out 3 to 5 times a week is a tough hurdle to endure regularly. It would sabotage my weight loss.
  • afatpersonwholikesfood
    afatpersonwholikesfood Posts: 577 Member
    Options
    On the upside, all that Crossfit is great for your health, and you have surely made progress with your fitness regardless of your lack of weight loss. Maintaining and exercising is better than not doing anything.
  • tincanonastring
    tincanonastring Posts: 3,944 Member
    Options

What?

If someone's goal is a deficit of X and that's what they want to stick to, even if they could do X + Y, that's perfectly reasonable in my view. I don't think there's anything at all wrong with eating a little more because of workouts or, heck, working out for the specific purpose of being able to eat a little more.

Earning more food is my main motivation for exercising.
  • DeguelloTex
    Options

What?

At this point, that's about the only reason I'm doing cardio. In a move that would cause a long line of football coaches' heads to explode, I'm starting to run -- voluntarily -- to burn more.

• half_moon
    half_moon Posts: 807 Member
    Options
    WinoGelato wrote: »
    I feel mislead by the title of this thread... somehow I get the sense OP is not actually open to our judgement after all....

No, I am sorry for the way I reacted. There have been a lot of frustrated tears lately and I am sorry I took it out on all of you.
  • CSARdiver
    CSARdiver Posts: 6,252 Member
    Options

What?

Same here brother.
  • DeguelloTex
    Options
    half_moon wrote: »
    I feel mislead by the title of this thread... somehow I get the sense OP is not actually open to our judgement after all....

No, I am sorry for the way I reacted. There have been a lot of frustrated tears lately and I am sorry I took it out on all of you.
    If this isn't an Internet first, it's still a short list. Pretty impressive.

• VeryKatie
    VeryKatie Posts: 5,931 Member
    Options
    I'm not sure what to change or what to do at this point, so I give up. I have made my diary open to the public and will lay out my current regime for you here.

And I am begging you for your advice.

Problem: I have been working out and cutting calories now for six weeks, and literally not one pound has fallen off. Prior to the exercise, I was cutting calories for two weeks. So in total, two months of crap for not one pound. I know not to go by the scale, but after two months, I will admit when I need to reevaluate.

Exercise: I go to CrossFit on Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday, Friday, and Saturday. That's five days a week. I burn anywhere from 300 to 650 calories each WOD. We are running, doing bear crawls, lifting heavy weights, lifting small weights, jumping -- you get the idea. We are doing everything.

Diet: Not on a diet perse-- but I count every calorie that I consume. I'm not exactly paleo, but I measure and make smart choices when I can. You can see for yourself. I am consistently in line or under my calorie goals for the day, depending on how many calories I burned in a workout. The occasional nieces birthday doesn't even phase me too much.

My weight: like a stone, the scale is unmoving at around 172. It has been there since April. It will go down to 169 then the next day up to 174, never really impressing me.

My body: I am pretty much still wearing the same clothes I was before. I feel great because of the exercise (yay!) but I will be honest with you, vanity is a big factor in my weight loss. Don't judge. I want to be smaller!

My stats:
    Female
    5'5"
    Lost weight two years ago-- went from 185 to 137 with MFP. I've done this... before!

Hmmm.. this is what confuses me. You knew how to do it so why doesn't it work the same now... Some other things I can think of... there have been changes to MFP in the last two years... I would bet their database isn't as trustworthy as they were back then. Perhaps try being very choosy with which entries you use, eg. ones without * and that have lots of verifications... Compare them to the USDA database for a while until you get an idea of which you can trust. It won't be forever.

Have you tried looking at your old entries from 2 years ago? Any insight there?

If you had surgery, it could be your body is still under stress...

I dunno. I'll defer to other people.
  • FeelsLikeAwesome
    FeelsLikeAwesome Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    Hi, I can't see your food log so I won't comment on food. I just started logging food myself.

I crossfit 4x/week and started from couch potato level 6 months ago. The first few months my muscles retained water to repair and build after the workouts and that can affect weight. It was an adjustment. Since you only started 6 weeks ago this could be the case as you adjust.

Have you measured your waist etc? I didnt experience a big weight loss which lead me to journal my food but my measurements improved. If your measurements improved but your weight is the same you've lost fat and added muscle. Losing fat is what we want.
  • half_moon
    edited June 2015
    Options
    VeryKatie wrote: »
    I'm not sure what to change or what to do at this point, so I give up. I have made my diary open to the public and will lay out my current regime for you here.

Problem: I have been working out and cutting calories now for six weeks, and literally not one pound has fallen off. Prior to the exercise, I was cutting calories for two weeks. So in total, two months of crap for not one pound. I know not to go by the scale, but after two months, I will admit when I need to reevaluate.

Exercise: I go to CrossFit on Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday, Friday, and Saturday. That's five days a week. I burn anywhere from 300 to 650 calories each WOD. We are running, doing bear crawls, lifting heavy weights, lifting small weights, jumping -- you get the idea. We are doing everything.

Diet: Not on a diet perse-- but I count every calorie that I consume. I'm not exactly paleo, but I measure and make smart choices when I can. You can see for yourself. I am consistently in line or under my calorie goals for the day, depending on how many calories I burned in a workout. The occasional nieces birthday doesn't even phase me too much.

My weight: like a stone, the scale is unmoving at around 172. It has been there since April. It will go down to 169 then the next day up to 174, never really impressing me.

My body: I am pretty much still wearing the same clothes I was before. I feel great because of the exercise (yay!) but I will be honest with you, vanity is a big factor in my weight loss. Don't judge. I want to be smaller!

My stats:
    Female
    5'5"
    Lost weight two years ago-- went from 185 to 137 with MFP. I've done this... before!

Hmmm.. this is what confuses me. You knew how to do it so why doesn't it work the same now... Some other things I can think of... there have been changes to MFP in the last two years... I would bet their database isn't as trustworthy as they were back then. Perhaps try being very choosy with which entries you use, eg. ones without * and that have lots of verifications... Compare them to the USDA database for a while until you get an idea of which you can trust. It won't be forever.

This is what fuels most of my frustration. I am doing exactly (literally even same food, mostly) what I did last time. I dropped the weight steadily in six months. Only this time, I am eating more fresh foods, drinking more water, and working out more consistently since CrossFit is so fun for me. I feel hopeless and I am not prepared, as many here have pointed out, to make my food my life (or weighing food, ounces, etc). I get overwhelmed. It just wasn't this hard before. I watched what I ate, I made smart decisions, I logged. I worked out. Science was my friend.

Now I just feel like everything is against me.

To note, the surgery I had was to remove cervical cancer. I don't think that would necessarily hold me back in any way.
  • VeryKatie
    edited June 2015
    Options
    VeryKatie wrote: »

My stats:
    Female
    5'5"

This is what fuels most of my frustration. I am doing exactly (literally even same food, mostly) what I did last time. I dropped the weight steadily in six months. Only this time, I am eating more fresh foods, drinking more water, and working out more consistently since CrossFit is so fun for me. I feel hopeless and I am not prepared, as many here have pointed out, to make my food my life (or weighing food, ounces, etc). I get overwhelmed. It just wasn't this hard before. I watched what I ate, I made smart decisions, I logged. I worked out. Science was my friend.

Now I just feel like everything is against me.

To note, the surgery I had was to remove cervical cancer. I don't think that would necessarily hold me back in any way.

Honestly, I did a mini version of what you did. I lost 25 lbs... and then stopped tracking and gained back 15... it has been exponentially harder the second time around to lose the weight - but for me at least, it's all in my head! I hate feeling like I'm redoing something I already did. It makes me feel hungrier. My motivation is decreased... so it's coming off way slower and I'm more prone to dropping away from MFP for weeks at a time.

But when I do get a splurge of motivation and come here and log consistently every day and never go over the calories... it does work.

Losing weight is as much a mental game as it is physical. So while we can help you tighten up your diary practices, the mental aspect might simply take a while to "recover" if you will. For me, I was off and on for probably about 8 months before I finally felt my interest and motivation come back properly. I just needed that time of half tracking I think... if that makes sense. I knew it wasn't a medical thing for me. It was lack of diligence. But I just couldn't make myself care enough. But it came back eventually. I'm hoping it will stick around. Some people just aren't the type to be able to constantly self motivate. I'm kind of a wishy-washy person in this aspect.

So basically my advise is to look carefully into your logging, and just.. ride the train until you notice you're feeling better about it. Try to decrease your stress about it.

When I'm stressed about it, that's when I hate calorie counting the most. And I don't like doing things I hate. You have no idea how much I dread the idea of having to start all over again if I have a baby in a couple years. UGH. At least for now I have my wedding coming up and I'm paranoid about the dress not doing up so perhaps that's where my current motivation is from.
  • Ninkyou
    Ninkyou Posts: 6,666 Member
    Options
    OP, if you're desperate enough to lose weight, you'll do whatever it takes to lose it.

Every previous poster suggesting you weigh your food is spot on. It's obvious to us that you're eating more than you think. Weighing your food is literally one SMALL but effective thing you can do. Why would you not be open to doing it? Aren't you desperate enough to lose weight? Or is this just something you want to dabble with with no serious intentions or results? Invest in a food scale, weigh your foods at home. When you eat out, eat out, and maybe log a few less calories to consider any inaccuracies from the the restaurants or estimate high. It literally takes me MAYBE one minute to weigh my food. Instead of putting my plate on the counter or table and filling it up, I put it on the scale and just make sure I log the numbers that come up. It's ridiculously simple. Maybe you think it's tedious or something, I dunno. But like I said, when you're desperate enough for something, you'll do whatever it takes. If you're not willing to do whatever it takes then you aren't ready. So either suck it up buttercup or quit. But quitting won't get you to your goal.
  • half_moon
    edited June 2015
    Options
    ....Any scales you guys can recommend?
  • VeryKatie
    edited June 2015
    Options

I'm using this one.
    http://www.amazon.com/Weighmax-Electronic-Kitchen-Scale-2810-2KG/dp/B000P1PJL4/ref=sr_1_4?s=kitchen&ie=UTF8&qid=1435693561&sr=1-4&keywords=food+scale

It's cheap and is reliable. Measures up to 11 lbs and measures in 0.1g increments. Plus it's easy to wash the bowl or just use a different plate on top (the bowl comes off so I don't have to be afraid of food contamination because I'm afraid to get the base wet). And has auto shut off and uses normal, easy to find around the house AA batteries. You can also zero/tare it with any plate or bowl so that you don't have to do the math of subtracting the weight of the bowl. Just make sure the plate is on the scale (empty) when you turn it on.

The only quirk it has is that if you had a plate on it when you turned it on and then you take it off and the scale shows -400g (negative weight of the plate), it won't auto shut off. It only auto offs when it's at 0 or a positive number. But that might just be my scale, who knows hahaha. Maybe it's glitching.

(Added bonus if you have other things to buy on Amazon, it's on sale right now!)
  • auddii
    auddii Posts: 15,357 Member
    Options

I prefer digital, and I just picked up one at a local walmart. And of course they don't have the one I bought online, but it was kind of like this:
    http://www.walmart.com/ip/Soehnle-STYLE-Precision-Digital-Food-Scale-9-lb-Capacity-Silver/38423058

And I think the one I bought was only $10-15.
  • Ninkyou
    Ninkyou Posts: 6,666 Member
    Options

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00NX47YP4?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=ox_sc_act_title_1&smid=A3FUY11FKEN472

had over 4,000 reviews and highly rated.
  • LeanButNotMean44
    LeanButNotMean44 Posts: 852 Member
    Options

OP, HUGE props to you for coming back and apologizing. I can certainly sympathize with your frustration. You CAN do this!!!!