Ok. I give up. I open my diary to your judgement.

Options

Replies

• yopeeps025
    yopeeps025 Posts: 8,680 Member
    Options
    I'm new on here and can't even figure out how everyone is viewing your diary or how to post my own thread, only know how to reply.

To view a diary. You click on the profile. There profile comes up and if they allow non MFP friends to view there diary under add friends is a green tab view Diary.
  • emdeesea
    emdeesea Posts: 1,823 Member
    Options
    OP asks for help then gets mad when it's pointed out to her that she needs to weigh food and log accurately.

LOL

You're right. Just give up and continue to do what you're doing if you're happy with it.

If you don't like the answers don't ask the questions. Simple.
  • RobertDupuy
    RobertDupuy Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    My personal take is that MFP is so shockingly generous on the amount you are allowed to eat that I am surprised people aren't gaining weight. I do not even log the food personally. I understand the appeal but for me personally the danger is the list becomes permission to eat more. To not lose on a day when my body was ready
  • yopeeps025
    Options
    My personal take is that MFP is so shockingly generous on the amount you are allowed to eat that I am surprised people aren't gaining weight. I do not even log the food personally. I understand the appeal but for me personally the danger is the list becomes permission to eat more. To not lose on a day when my body was ready

That is not what MFP does for a lot of folks. It actually shows you can have your treats and still lose weight.

• slaite1
    slaite1 Posts: 1,307 Member
    Options

What? I find mfp's calorie requirement estimates low-especially since a lot of newbies don't understand activity level etc.
  • auddii
    auddii Posts: 15,357 Member
    Options
    slaite1 wrote: »

What? I find mfp's calorie requirement estimates low-especially since a lot of newbies don't understand activity level etc.

Agreed. And the effect is compounded when people don't realize the deficit is built in and they should eat back (at least a portion) their exercise calories.
  • tincanonastring
    tincanonastring Posts: 3,944 Member
    Options

This. I get a much higher calorie allowance on other sites/models.
  • juggernaut1974
    juggernaut1974 Posts: 6,212 Member
    Options

Considering you were extolling the virtues of vlcds on another thread, this isn't surprising.

For normal people, MFP's calculations are just fine.
  • RGv2
    RGv2 Posts: 5,789 Member
    Options

Another cosign.
  • yopeeps025
    Options
    ceoverturf wrote: »

Considering you were extolling the virtues of vlcds on another thread, this isn't surprising.

For normal people, MFP's calculations are just fine.

Caught red handed.
    01-hand-in-cookie-jar-e1282322757149.jpg?w=800

• Alyssa_Is_LosingIt
    Alyssa_Is_LosingIt Posts: 4,696 Member
    Options

What?

Why would you not want to eat as much as you can and still lose weight? I really don't understand this way of thinking.
  • snickerscharlie
    snickerscharlie Posts: 8,578 Member
    Options
    It's the MFP version of "Does this dress make my *kitten* look big?"

Getting the truth isn't the purpose of the question.

You're a wise one, Tex. <3

• lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options

1200 is generous? Because that's what a lot of women get, depending on the loss rate and activity level they choose.

I love MFP and it works great if you learn to use it properly and input the right information, but if you know how to set it up right I don't see how it becomes permission to eat more in a bad way. Sure, if you are someone who thinks you need to eat some absurd number of calories to lose (like many people) then being told you can lose at 1500 or 1800 or whatever may mean you eat more, but nothing wrong with that if it's still a rate that leads to loss.

OP is apparently logging an average between 1200-1300, even ignoring the skipped days, according to someone who reviewed the diary, so it's not that her calorie goal is too high. (Her goal with exercise added probably is, but she's not logging that.) It's most likely a logging issue.
  • DeguelloTex
    DeguelloTex Posts: 6,658 Member
    edited June 2015
    Options

What?

Why would you not want to eat as much as you can and still lose weight? I really don't understand this way of thinking.
    To get done sooner. There's a reason that people with 100 pounds to lose don't have to lose at .25 pounds per week, for example.
  • WinoGelato
    WinoGelato Posts: 13,454 Member
    Options
    I feel mislead by the title of this thread... somehow I get the sense OP is not actually open to our judgement after all....
  • sarahlifts
    sarahlifts Posts: 610 Member
    edited June 2015
    Options
    half_moon wrote: »
    While I don't really see anything wrong with what you're eating - I do not see a lot of weighed food. Or rather, your weighing is really inconsistent.

You do eat out a lot, but I do, too and I've lost a lot of weight, so I don't think that will hold you back.

Do you scan barcodes, or do you use generic entries?

When is the last time you had a physical?

I had surgery in February, and have been to the doctor several times since then for check ups. I scan barcodes when available, and I ALWAYS over estimate what I am eating. If I don't finish my meal, I don't change my log. I do my best to make up for variances.

I just give up. It shouldn't be this hard. If I have to weigh every bite I put in my mouth and resign myself to never eating out of the house, it isn't worth it. I could have laid around on my *kitten* all summer and still be here. *kitten* ridiculous.

Wow, what a poor attitude.

I weigh everything I eat. I work full time and have two kids. It really is not that hard. It literally involves keeping a scale on your counter (OMG so hard) and setting your bowl/plate on top of the scale instead of the counter. I guess it could be considered inconvenient because you have to press a button.

Good grief, if you're not willing to put in a little effort to be accurate, then you're not ready to lose weight, period. Just take a break and try again when you're genuinely ready.

ALL OF THIS I preach it...but its so hard :( lol
    give up then. Instead of advise it looks like your looking for a way to give up.
  • CSARdiver
    CSARdiver Posts: 6,252 Member
    Options
    Note that there is an accepted high degree of error in nutritional labeling ~20%, so if you are estimating CI on the low side this may explain the error. I've learned to overestimate calories in and underestimate calories out while working in deficit.

As for the workouts, try something new. Not that this is going to have as much of an impact on a crossfitter, but I find I bust through plateaus more effectively when I try out a new workout routine.
  • DeguelloTex
    DeguelloTex Posts: 6,658 Member
    Options
    CSARdiver wrote: »
    Note that there is an accepted high degree of error in nutritional labeling ~20%, so if you are estimating CI on the low side this may explain the error. I've learned to overestimate calories in and underestimate calories out while working in deficit.

As for the workouts, try something new. Not that this is going to have as much of an impact on a crossfitter, but I find I bust through plateaus more effectively when I try out a new workout routine.
    It's pretty unlikely that the errors are going to be systematically skewed. Yeah, those hoofbeats might be a zebra, but...
  • cavia
    cavia Posts: 457 Member
    Options
    While I don't really see anything wrong with what you're eating - I do not see a lot of weighed food. Or rather, your weighing is really inconsistent.

You do eat out a lot, but I do, too and I've lost a lot of weight, so I don't think that will hold you back.

I had surgery in February, and have been to the doctor several times since then for check ups. I scan barcodes when available, and I ALWAYS over estimate what I am eating. If I don't finish my meal, I don't change my log. I do my best to make up for variances.

I just give up. It shouldn't be this hard. If I have to weigh every bite I put in my mouth and resign myself to never eating out of the house, it isn't worth it. I could have laid around on my *kitten* all summer and still be here. *kitten* ridiculous.

OP, if you're still reading, I crossfit and I do weigh everything. It takes seconds per meal. Are you really going to let seconds stand between you and predictable weight loss? I would also venture to say you are really overestimating the calorie burn of a crossfit class. I log about a 1/3rd of the calories you do for a class. All you need to do is tighten up your logging by weighing all your solid foods, using measuring cups for caloric liquids only and eating back a 1/3rd to, at most, half of your exercise burns and you should see the scale begin to move downward.
  • healthygreek
    healthygreek Posts: 2,137 Member
    Options
    cavia wrote: »

OP, if you're still reading, I crossfit and I do weigh everything. It takes seconds per meal. Are you really going to let seconds stand between you and predictable weight loss? I would also venture to say you are really overestimating the calorie burn of a crossfit class. I log about a 1/3rd of the calories you do for a class. All you need to do is tighten up your logging by weighing all your solid foods, using measuring cups for caloric liquids only and eating back a 1/3rd to, at most, half of your exercise burns and you should see the scale begin to move downward.

Why are you being so mean to the OP;-)