Ok. I give up. I open my diary to your judgement.

Options

Replies

• auddii
    auddii Posts: 15,357 Member
    Options
    half_moon wrote: »
    While I don't really see anything wrong with what you're eating - I do not see a lot of weighed food. Or rather, your weighing is really inconsistent.

You do eat out a lot, but I do, too and I've lost a lot of weight, so I don't think that will hold you back.

Do you scan barcodes, or do you use generic entries?

When is the last time you had a physical?

I had surgery in February, and have been to the doctor several times since then for check ups. I scan barcodes when available, and I ALWAYS over estimate what I am eating. If I don't finish my meal, I don't change my log. I do my best to make up for variances.

I just give up. It shouldn't be this hard. If I have to weigh every bite I put in my mouth and resign myself to never eating out of the house, it isn't worth it. I could have laid around on my *kitten* all summer and still be here. *kitten* ridiculous.

Did they test thyroid function and/or insulin levels?

Weighing your food helps a lot though. I weigh everything at home, and guesstimate high when I'm out. I know it sounds ridiculous, but it's a huge eye opener. My scale gets a lot of credit for the 83 pounds I've lost.

Here's a really good example how easy it is to over-eat without realizing it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vjKPIcI51lU&list=FLxRg_80KHM-BdcHvV7nkgfg&index=1

Holy *kitten*!!!! I know CICO, and I do weigh and measure almost everything I eat, but over 1000 cal difference??? I'm totally watching this every time I feel I'm slipping. Thank you for this video, this blows my mind.

Glad you came back and found some useful information in the thread. We are trying to help, we just wanted to make sure you realize that logging accurately is more difficult than some people think (but once you realize how to do it, it's not that difficult or time consuming).
  • Fabu_lass
    Fabu_lass Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    While I don't really see anything wrong with what you're eating - I do not see a lot of weighed food. Or rather, your weighing is really inconsistent.

You do eat out a lot, but I do, too and I've lost a lot of weight, so I don't think that will hold you back.

I had surgery in February, and have been to the doctor several times since then for check ups. I scan barcodes when available, and I ALWAYS over estimate what I am eating. If I don't finish my meal, I don't change my log. I do my best to make up for variances.

I just give up. It shouldn't be this hard. If I have to weigh every bite I put in my mouth and resign myself to never eating out of the house, it isn't worth it. I could have laid around on my *kitten* all summer and still be here. *kitten* ridiculous.

Weighing your food helps a lot though. I weigh everything at home, and guesstimate high when I'm out. I know it sounds ridiculous, but it's a huge eye opener. My scale gets a lot of credit for the 83 pounds I've lost.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vjKPIcI51lU&list=FLxRg_80KHM-BdcHvV7nkgfg&index=1

this is a really great video, thanks for the info
  • pdank311
    pdank311 Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    yopeeps025 wrote: »
    Start weighing your food. Why is it that hard for you? You slap something on a scale. Bam. Work done.

Like I said comical thread.

OP: I cannot lose weight

advice use a food scale

OP: excuses.

It's the same story everytime.

Yup yup. It's not that getting started and changing the way you do things isn't hard. It certainly is a mental hurdle and requires some planning.

But just like anything else, it becomes routine. Routine is easy. The effort curve goes down as your food diary increases in ingredients. Also you learn more and have values burned into your head. X weight chicken breast is X calories. You can almost plan the entire thing in your head as you go, weigh it real quick and log it.

Weighing food might... might add 2 minutes into cook time.

Funny that I used to weigh food all the time when I cooked in college 15 years ago but never associated any value to it besides required portion size.

If OP or anyone that says it's too much effort actually got past the initial couple weeks of planning / building the routine, the rewards are far > effort.

CICO = sham? Ty for the laugh. I'll eat my bread, burgers, bacon, stay within my limits, and be happy.

• diannethegeek
    diannethegeek Posts: 14,776 Member
    Options
    Interesting avatar change, OP.
  • healthygreek
    healthygreek Posts: 2,137 Member
    edited June 2015
    Options
    Unbelievable!
    You start a thread asking for help and then when people take the time to read your post and thoughtfully try to help-you rudely call people mean!
    What the blank is wrong with you????

You're right-just give up-you're not willing to put in the work.
  • rainbowbow
    rainbowbow Posts: 7,490 Member
    Options
    auddii wrote: »

Holy *kitten*!!!! I know CICO, and I do weigh and measure almost everything I eat, but over 1000 cal difference??? I'm totally watching this every time I feel I'm slipping. Thank you for this video, this blows my mind.

Glad you came back and found some useful information in the thread. We are trying to help, we just wanted to make sure you realize that logging accurately is more difficult than some people think (but once you realize how to do it, it's not that difficult or time consuming).

that wasn't OP
  • beemerphile1
    beemerphile1 Posts: 1,710 Member
    Options
    Apparently the OP has received all the advice they want because their diary is no longer open to the public.
  • auddii
    auddii Posts: 15,357 Member
    Options
    rainbowbow wrote: »
    auddii wrote: »

that wasn't OP

Well crap. At least some other people have found something useful in this thread...
  • jkal1979
    jkal1979 Posts: 1,896 Member
    Options
    Yoshirio wrote: »
    I'll never understand why people find it so hard to weigh stuff.. It takes literally two minutes per meal to weigh and log my food.A total of ten minutes a day(and that is being generous) to make sure I do not overeat.Seems like it would be worth it if you wanted it bad enough.

I don't understand it either. If anything I have found weighing to be a lot easier than using measuring cups and spoons. I can skip the step of having to make sure I have the right amount in the cup/spoon and I can be more (or less) generous with my portions since I don't have to worry about it. I just put what I want on my plate, weigh and log it and move on to the next item. It also saves me from having a few extra things to wash when doing dishes.

It might seem like a lot of work but once you get the hang of weighing, it takes no time at all.
  • tincanonastring
    tincanonastring Posts: 3,944 Member
    Options
    jkal1979 wrote: »
    Yoshirio wrote: »
    I'll never understand why people find it so hard to weigh stuff.. It takes literally two minutes per meal to weigh and log my food.A total of ten minutes a day(and that is being generous) to make sure I do not overeat.Seems like it would be worth it if you wanted it bad enough.

I don't understand it either. If anything I have found weighing to be a lot easier than using measuring cups and spoons. I can skip the step of having to make sure I have the right amount in the cup/spoon and I can be more (or less) generous with my portions since I don't have to worry about it. I just put what I want on my plate, weigh and log it and move on to the next item. It also saves me from having a few extra things to wash when doing dishes.

It might seem like a lot of work but once you get the hang of weighing, it takes no time at all.

The hard part is not being able to eat as much once you start weighing.
  • uneamie
    uneamie Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I have a similar problem with losing weight. I can lose 10 to 15 lbs and then "nothing". I am insulin resistant and diabetic so that may play a role. In any event, I did the "whole 30" program and did the entire 30 days and lost 13 lbs. It was extremely difficult to do but I did it....can't do it for life though. I also did the 5/2 intermittent fasting diet and lost the same amount in a month as well...but that program is far easier to do then the "whole 30". The 5/2 program is what I am going to do again and see if I can keep doing it for at least 6 months if not more. 2 days of 500 calories and the rest of the time not having to count calories etc is my kind of program. I am tired...so tired of constantly watching what I eat. I lose motivation if I don't lose or if I only lose a few lbs. So, it's 5/2 program for me again but his time I am going to stick with it.
  • diannethegeek
    diannethegeek Posts: 14,776 Member
    Options
    Haha. Ok. Glad to know there are people who have never felt low or frustrated before. How comfortable is your high horse?

I switched from a private account with no friends a month ago, once I got back into logging, because I thought I was ready to say "I'm back!" to all of my old MFP friends.

Thanks for all of you who were not mean, and gave some good advice. I will cut down on eating out and watch my sodium levels more.

As for my drinks, I only drink water and some coffee occasionally. Last time I lost weight, I did exactly this. In fact, because I had no kitchen, I ate out exclusively. Oddly enough, that had no effect on my success to lose weight.

Look, I get it. I stalled out for over 8 weeks when I was losing the first time around. It's how I found MFP in the first place, switching from another calorie counting site without the useful message boards.

I was frustrated. I didn't realize how low my mood was at the time. I was snapping at the people around me without cause. I starting thinking about switching to some fad diet or giving up entirely. I blamed sodium and weekends and undereating and any number of other things.

But the truth is I'd gotten lax in my logging. I was phoning in my workouts and eating back too many exercise calories. I was taking more cheat days. And my portion sizes were creeping up on me. I wish that MFP had been more about the food scales back then, because I needed one.

But if you let your frustration bleed out into making excuses and pushing away the people who are trying to help then you're going to have a hard time of it. You reached out to these people for a reason.

We see these threads a dozen times a day. They're so common that the usual posters here have created flow charts and standardized responses and stickied threads to try to explain the most common problems we see here. They are eating more than you realize and burning less than you realize. Short of an undisclosed or undiagnosed medical condition, that's what it comes down to. Even if you have a lower than average metabolism and don't burn as many calories, it's still about eating fewer calories than your body uses.

I'll skip my standard copy/paste. You've already heard the advice I would give and you apparently don't want to hear it anymore. But here are some links that you might find useful. And if you don't find them useful, then maybe others in the thread will.

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/1296011/calorie-counting-101
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1234699-logging-accurately-step-by-step-guide
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1290491-how-and-why-to-use-a-digital-food-scale
    http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10084670/it-is-unlikely-that-you-will-lose-weight-consistently-i-e-weight-loss-is-not-linear
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1080242-a-guide-to-get-you-started-on-your-path-to-sexypants
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/819055-setting-your-calorie-and-macro-targets
    http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/1346163/change-your-mindset

• betuel75
    betuel75 Posts: 776 Member
    Options
    Mr_Knight wrote: »
    That went well...

hahaha! this was the best response of this thread.
    Now people are looking over wondering what im laughing about...
  • HollandOats
    HollandOats Posts: 202 Member
    Options
    Didn't read the middle-end of the thread, but I can see how it basically went...

I'll leave this here for OP and anyone else interested though -

http://strengthunbound.com/5-rules-calorie-count-like-pro/

Very thoughtfully written article that gives pointers for achieving best results when calorie counting, including a great explanation on why we shouldn't just overestimate intake/under estimate ouput.

Actually, that whole site is very informative. Started by a (former?) MFP member who, as you can see in his progress photos on the site, had terrific success, without even joining a gym.

Best wishes to OP, and to everyone working towards their goals!
  • Abby2205
    Abby2205 Posts: 253 Member
    Options
    You eat at Chick Fil A a lot, maybe those calorie counts aren't accurate? I mean you are probably selecting the correct entry but they could be unrealistic in actual practice:
    -the count could be with no spreads but they are normally served with spreads
    -or they are with spreads but it's assumed very low compared to what employees actually put on it
    -you receive more fries than a standard serving--do they weigh each portion or eyeball it
    -portion size creep after the nutrition facts were calculated
    -could variation in oil temperature make a significant difference in how much oil is absorbed?
  • teasrewards
    teasrewards Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    One thing that I have learned from the Venus Factor Plan is to not deduct the calories you think you burned from what you ate. Count the calories for everything you eat and record it.
  • teasrewards
    teasrewards Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    I'm new on here and can't even figure out how everyone is viewing your diary or how to post my own thread, only know how to reply.
  • yopeeps025
    yopeeps025 Posts: 8,680 Member
    Options
    One thing that I have learned from the Venus Factor Plan is to not deduct the calories you think you burned from what you ate. Count the calories for everything you eat and record it.

What you mean the 10% used for digestion?

• DeguelloTex
    DeguelloTex Posts: 6,658 Member
    Options
    If she's getting spreads on her Chick-fil-A she's doing it wrong.