Ok. I give up. I open my diary to your judgement.

Options

Replies

• DeguelloTex
    DeguelloTex Posts: 6,658 Member
    Options
    half_moon wrote: »
    While I don't really see anything wrong with what you're eating - I do not see a lot of weighed food. Or rather, your weighing is really inconsistent.

You do eat out a lot, but I do, too and I've lost a lot of weight, so I don't think that will hold you back.

Do you scan barcodes, or do you use generic entries?

When is the last time you had a physical?

I had surgery in February, and have been to the doctor several times since then for check ups. I scan barcodes when available, and I ALWAYS over estimate what I am eating. If I don't finish my meal, I don't change my log. I do my best to make up for variances.

I just give up. It shouldn't be this hard. If I have to weigh every bite I put in my mouth and resign myself to never eating out of the house, it isn't worth it. I could have laid around on my *kitten* all summer and still be here. *kitten* ridiculous.
    No, you'd be heavier.

If you're not losing weight, you're not eating less than you burn. Maybe you have a medical issue that distorts what you burn. There aren't really any other possibilities.

• AbsoluteTara79
    AbsoluteTara79 Posts: 266 Member
    Options
    I think everyone has pointed out the issues whether or not those are acceptable answers to you.

What were you hoping to glean from this?

And, what did you do differently when you lost weight 2 years ago?

• ncboiler89
    ncboiler89 Posts: 2,408 Member
    Options
    I'm not sure what to change or what to do at this point, so I give up. I have made my diary open to the public and will lay out my current regime for you here.

And I am begging you for your advice.

Problem: I have been working out and cutting calories now for six weeks, and literally not one pound has fallen off. Prior to the exercise, I was cutting calories for two weeks. So in total, two months of crap for not one pound. I know not to go by the scale, but after two months, I will admit when I need to reevaluate.

Exercise: I go to CrossFit on Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday, Friday, and Saturday. That's five days a week. I burn anywhere from 300 to 650 calories each WOD. We are running, doing bear crawls, lifting heavy weights, lifting small weights, jumping -- you get the idea. We are doing everything.

Diet: Not on a diet perse-- but I count every calorie that I consume. I'm not exactly paleo, but I measure and make smart choices when I can. You can see for yourself. I am consistently in line or under my calorie goals for the day, depending on how many calories I burned in a workout. The occasional nieces birthday doesn't even phase me too much.

My weight: like a stone, the scale is unmoving at around 172. It has been there since April. It will go down to 169 then the next day up to 174, never really impressing me.

My body: I am pretty much still wearing the same clothes I was before. I feel great because of the exercise (yay!) but I will be honest with you, vanity is a big factor in my weight loss. Don't judge. I want to be smaller!

My stats:
    Female
    5'5"
    Lost weight two years ago-- went from 185 to 137 with MFP. I've done this *kitten* before!

Outside of a medical condition there are really only two variables for weight loss. Calories burned and calories consumed. You are either burning less than you think, eating more than you think, or both. It's that simple. You just need to figure out which it is. Typically when people have this issue they are just underestimating the calories they take in.

A medical condition isn't even a factor really. It just makes it hard to estimate the two variables mentioned above - particularly the calories burned part of the equation - especially when the condition is unknown/undiagnosed.
  • Emilia777
    Emilia777 Posts: 978 Member
    edited June 2015
    Options
    ^^^ What they said. If anything, you should be glad to learn that the problem is likely your food logging, so that if you fixed that chances are you will see results. You don’t weigh crackers, fruit, cereal, margarine, beans, margarine, potatoes, butter, avocado. These things add up and can wipe out your deficit. Not to mention water retention due to exercise (I didn’t lose any weight of 6 weeks when I first got started because of that).

Edited to add: one thing to keep in mind with take-out/fast food is that the calorie estimations from the website aren’t necessarily entirely accurate. Some employees are more generous than others when it comes to the sauces/dressings. Eating out isn’t a problem if you’re able to account for the calories, but keep in mind that this could add to your margin of error. You can ask for the calorific sauces and such on the side to help control for this.
  • paris458
    paris458 Posts: 231 Member
    Options
    my sister was having trouble losing weight. even when I had her logging and she is a waitress so always running around. I realized she wasnt drinking water. as soon as she started trying to reach at least 8 glasses a day her pounds started coming off. are you making sure you are drinking enough water?
  • yopeeps025
    yopeeps025 Posts: 8,680 Member
    Options
    paris458 wrote: »
    my sister was having trouble losing weight. even when I had her logging and she is a waitress so always running around. I realized she wasnt drinking water. as soon as she started trying to reach at least 8 glasses a day her pounds started coming off. are you making sure you are drinking enough water?

I hope OP is with some of those high sodium level days she logs .
  • ExRelaySprinter
    ExRelaySprinter Posts: 874 Member
    Options
    @half_moon What do you have for drinks?
    Before i started logging my food & drinks, i was drinking 4 glasses of Orange juice a day (thinking i was being "healthy")....but those 4 glasses turned out to be almost equivalent to 400 cals!
    So be mindful of your drinks as well.
  • Alyssa_Is_LosingIt
    Alyssa_Is_LosingIt Posts: 4,696 Member
    Options
    While I don't really see anything wrong with what you're eating - I do not see a lot of weighed food. Or rather, your weighing is really inconsistent.

You do eat out a lot, but I do, too and I've lost a lot of weight, so I don't think that will hold you back.

I had surgery in February, and have been to the doctor several times since then for check ups. I scan barcodes when available, and I ALWAYS over estimate what I am eating. If I don't finish my meal, I don't change my log. I do my best to make up for variances.

I just give up. It shouldn't be this hard. If I have to weigh every bite I put in my mouth and resign myself to never eating out of the house, it isn't worth it. I could have laid around on my *kitten* all summer and still be here. *kitten* ridiculous.

Wow, what a poor attitude.

I weigh everything I eat. I work full time and have two kids. It really is not that hard. It literally involves keeping a scale on your counter (OMG so hard) and setting your bowl/plate on top of the scale instead of the counter. I guess it could be considered inconvenient because you have to press a button.

Good grief, if you're not willing to put in a little effort to be accurate, then you're not ready to lose weight, period. Just take a break and try again when you're genuinely ready.
  • gobonas99
    gobonas99 Posts: 1,049 Member
    Options

If it wasn't hard, then there would be much fewer overweight people. :/

No one said never eat out...or even weighing everything you eat all the time forever. BUT, I *would* recommend that you cut back on eating out (say once or twice a week, instead of 3-5 times a week), and try actually weighing ALL your food for while until you get an idea of actual serving sizes (particularly with things like cereal where the serving size by cup measurement tends to actually be 1.5-2 times the actual serving size by weight).

I personally don't weigh everything any more, as after more than 2 years, I've gotten pretty good at eyeballing measurements - but I was WAY off a lot of the time when I first started (and I've never weighed things like bananas). I also eat out a couple of times a week - more often in the winter because the hubs and I snowmobile on the weekends (which means eating out for 75% of our meals Fri-Sun). But I ALWAYS "pay the price" for eating out - I retain water, and my weight goes up. It effects me so much, that my goal in the winter is merely to maintain my weight (because of the more frequent meals out). But still, even with all of that (and hypothyroidism to boot), I've lost nearly 60 pounds. It IS doable (I am proof that CI/CO is NOT a "sham")....but you NEED to be accurate in your logging (aka weighing food), especially at the beginning (first 6-12 months, on average, I would say).

• msf74
    msf74 Posts: 3,498 Member
    Options
    Well, you're not putting on weight either so there's that.

You have been logging since the 30th May from what I can see - so not two months but one. There is nothing before that and your exercise kicks in a few days after that. Your logging is inconsistent and I suspect largely inaccurate.

Do you fancy trying an experiment? Set a one day menu of 1,500 calories where you are very certain the calorie count is accurate (even if this means you are eating packaged items with calorie counts three or four times a day.) Continue on with the exercise as before. Eat that exact same things every day for 14 days. See if you lose weight. If you do then you know it's your existing methods that are the problem. If not seek another way of doing it.
  • yopeeps025
    Options

I weigh everything I eat. I work full time and have two kids. It really is not that hard. It literally involves keeping a scale on your counter (OMG so hard) and setting your bowl/plate on top of the scale instead of the counter. I guess it could be considered inconvenient because you have to press a button.

Good grief, if you're not willing to put in a little effort to be accurate, then you're not ready to lose weight, period. Just take a break and try again when you're genuinely ready.

Sums up the whole thread right there. OP isn't ready yet.
  • dredremeg
    dredremeg Posts: 202 Member
    Options
    It appears that your sodium is a bit high, try decreasing your sodium intake. I see your calorie goal is set at maintenance 2000+, even though you eat below. Try setting your calorie goal betwenn 1400 -1800, this will reset your macros and try to hit your macros as close as you can.
  • half_moon
    half_moon Posts: 807 Member
    Options
    Haha. Ok. Glad to know there are people who have never felt low or frustrated before. How comfortable is your high horse?

I switched from a private account with no friends a month ago, once I got back into logging, because I thought I was ready to say "I'm back!" to all of my old MFP friends.

Thanks for all of you who were not mean, and gave some good advice. I will cut down on eating out and watch my sodium levels more.

As for my drinks, I only drink water and some coffee occasionally. Last time I lost weight, I did exactly this. In fact, because I had no kitchen, I ate out exclusively. Oddly enough, that had no effect on my success to lose weight.
  • rushfive
    rushfive Posts: 603 Member
    Options
    I have been there with the 6 weeks of workouts on the treadmill and logging food with 0 weight loss. What worked for me (a person on thyroid meds) was eat less, added veggies, tightened up my logging. I missed a lot of snacks (not saying you are).
    5'4 f, 50, s.w 150 c.w 125. I did take the winter off at 140 and restarted again in jan2015.
    It is very frustrating. Maybe have your thyroid levels checked if you feel so strongly on your logging.
    Good luck.
  • rainbowbow
    rainbowbow Posts: 7,490 Member
    Options
    yopeeps025 wrote: »

Sums up the whole thread right there. OP isn't ready yet.

I also find it a little ridiculous that she opens this thread and her diary to be reviewed and then jumps straight on the defensive.

Being defensive and playing the victim role will get her nowhere.

OP, To the person who said it's obvious you're overeating. It is. Otherwise you'd be losing weight. You are not being accurate in what you are counting, otherwise you'd be seeing the results you want to see.

You are putting all sorts of estimates in your diary "1/3 of this" or "7/8ths this" and then some days are not logged. Some other days it's just a generic database entry.

Until you realize that the problem is you overeating, period. You will continue to fail. Paleo or otherwise.

Also, i dont think it's "too difficult". This is more of an emotional response than a logical one. I suppose it may be difficult to come to terms with the fact that your own successes and failures in life are a direct result of your actions. And that you have no one to blame but yourself when you haven't met your goal. My advice would be to accept it for what it is, make a plan to change it, and then do it.
  • yopeeps025
    Options
    Haha. Ok. Glad to know there are people who have never felt low or frustrated before. How comfortable is your high horse?

I switched from a private account with no friends a month ago, once I got back into logging, because I thought I was ready to say "I'm back!" to all of my old MFP friends.

Thanks for all of you who were not mean, and gave some good advice. I will cut down on eating out and watch my sodium levels more.

As for my drinks, I only drink water and some coffee occasionally. Last time I lost weight, I did exactly this. In fact, because I had no kitchen, I ate out exclusively. Oddly enough, that had no effect on my success to lose weight.

So then if something doesn't work anymore lets keep doing the same thing and it will work. Does this make sense?
  • Angelfire365
    Angelfire365 Posts: 803 Member
    Options

Did they test thyroid function and/or insulin levels?

Weighing your food helps a lot though. I weigh everything at home, and guesstimate high when I'm out. I know it sounds ridiculous, but it's a huge eye opener. My scale gets a lot of credit for the 83 pounds I've lost.

Here's a really good example how easy it is to over-eat without realizing it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vjKPIcI51lU&list=FLxRg_80KHM-BdcHvV7nkgfg&index=1

Holy *kitten*!!!! I know CICO, and I do weigh and measure almost everything I eat, but over 1000 cal difference??? I'm totally watching this every time I feel I'm slipping. Thank you for this video, this blows my mind.
  • LKArgh
    LKArgh Posts: 5,179 Member
    Options
    You have days of no logging, days of incomplete logging, lots of entries in things like pieces etc instead of weight. And as your progress (or no progress) proves, it all adds up and you are eating more than you think you are.
  • LeanButNotMean44
    LeanButNotMean44 Posts: 852 Member
    Options

I have not read a single response that was mean, OP. You have gotten excellent advice but seem to discount all of it. If you think you are doing everything correctly but are not losing weight and barring any medical condition, then you have to stop pointing fingers at everyone else and start pointing at yourself.
  • SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,943 Member
    Options
    yopeeps025 wrote: »
    malibu927 wrote: »
    It's pretty clear you're eating more than you think. Log everything (there are several meals and an entire day missing from what I went through). Weigh everything (I see weights for a few items, but not much). Eating out, if it fits into your calories, is fine but you seem to do it a lot (higher sodium can lead to water weight masking weight loss). Once you tighten up on those things, you should start to lose.

How is that clear that I am not logging when I am literally logging everything I consume?

I pretty much only eat out at Chik fil A. If it is the sodium, I will watch that more. I drink SO much water every day though.

high sodium levels will mask weight loss on the scale for a little while. For me it actually does for more than 3 days.

But for two months? I mean I know I could eat fresher foods but I fail to see how two months of eating pretty normally had that big effect.

To me, then, this is proof that CI/CO is a sham, and it really does depend on what you eat. Maybe I should just say screw all and go Paleo. Ugh.

You asked for advice, people are giving good advice, and you're balking. There is no magic in Paleo or any other diet except for the magic you give it. All diets require a calorie deficit to lose weight.

If you have not lost any weight in 4-6 weeks, you are eating to much food. That's just the way it is.

Saying CICO is a sham is the easy way out and putting responsibility on something else. That is a dangerous attitude to have.

I looked at your diary. There is nothing wrong with fast food, but keep in mind that (1) the calories are generally more than what they advertise and (2) it's loaded with sodium. You appear not to weigh your food, but if you start doing that you will see that you guesstimates are most likely way off. Since it's difficult to weigh food out, I would overestimate those calories.

I also believe your exercise calories are overestimated. 717 calories for an hour and 20 minutes seems really high, as does 640 for an hour (but I see one entry is 453 for about an hour -that more like it).

Is Cross fit steady state cardio? Where do you get those exercise burn numbers from?

If you underestimate food intake and you overestimate calorie out, then that will kill a deficit.

If you lost weight before, you can do it now. :)