anyone else get super frustrated at friends/co workers?

Options

Replies

• jesikalovesyou
    jesikalovesyou Posts: 172 Member
    Options
    I hate my coworkers sometimes. They (all guys, I don't work with any females at all) are always saying they counting calories is bull**** and it's not really how you lose weight. They might can eat anything they want because their maintenance calorie limit is so high, but I can't.

I also have a group of guys who are fitness gurus and they like to critique my meals (I bring lean cuisine meals to work) and say that they're terrible for me and just preservatives.

I am obviously overweight and I would think that people would be more supportive about me trying to better myself.
  • MelodyandBarbells
    MelodyandBarbells Posts: 7,725 Member
    Options
    I hate my coworkers sometimes. They (all guys, I don't work with any females at all) are always saying they counting calories is bull**** and it's not really how you lose weight. They might can eat anything they want because their maintenance calorie limit is so high, but I can't.

I also have a group of guys who are fitness gurus and they like to critique my meals (I bring lean cuisine meals to work) and say that they're terrible for me and just preservatives.

I am obviously overweight and I would think that people would be more supportive about me trying to better myself.

Tell them to shut the hell up about your food already :bigsmile:
  • kitkatkarr
    kitkatkarr Posts: 97 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
    Yall just reminded me how angry my father got that one time when I rejected an offer of a sugary drink. Man was he pissed. Wow.. He's diabetic too, he sure had that sugar drink when he's not suppose to at all.

No more explanation guys. No one deserves it unless they're honestly curious and not constantly scrutinizing our everyday food choices.
  • jesikalovesyou
    Options
    JaneiR36 wrote: »

Tell them to shut the hell up about your food already :bigsmile:

Yeah, I'll argue with them for a while, then they shut up. It's just frustrating when they say what I'm doing is a waste of time.
  • smantha32
    smantha32 Posts: 6,990 Member
    Options
    bump
  • Therealobi1
    Therealobi1 Posts: 3,261 Member
    Options
    It's only when I spent time on this site I realised that it's simple method to losing weight. Eat abit less and actually move my body. I have told a few people about this site but then I hear they are trying juicing, 5:2 or another type of gimmick and then after awhile they stop. I just sigh and move on. When someone is ready they will stop making it hard for themselves.
  • tomatoey
    tomatoey Posts: 5,446 Member
    Options
    Frustrated with: a couple of older family members who just can't let go of diet thinking and don't want to hear about saner approaches

Saddened by: a good friend who gained 20 pounds after getting hit with a few really horrible rounds of bad luck and TONS of ongoing stress and consequently sleeps in the limited time she theoretically would have available for health / fitness / planning meals.

She can't stand her body atm, but isn't in the headspace to make the changes. She does know how to do it - was into lifting years before anyone else I knew - but you do have to be ready to make the required commitments , and she's just not there right now.

I m sad that she feels compelled to comment on her weight, or beat herself up for her food choices, every time she sees me. That's partly my fault for having gone evangelical when I first lost my weight and was excited. Which I eventually stopped, once I figured out how annoying it was. But I don't want her to think I'm judging , because I'm totally not, and that's the last thing she needs :/
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
    Her "I just can't lose weight and I can't fit in much more exercise"

Me "mm..hmmm"

Her "and I eat so healthily and watch my carbs"

Me " yes, it's more about calories and just eating at a defecit"

Her "well I can't eat less"

Me "mm...hmmm"

• Bambalina22
    Bambalina22 Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    AlisonH729 wrote: »
    I ranted last week about my co-worker starting Isagenix. Complaining that nothing else has worked for her. (Nothing else = Weight Watchers & the occasional exercise video.) She brings decent enough food for lunch, just way too much of it. I've tried to casually drop hints about how I weigh & measure my food and log my calories, but to no avail.

The other day she was talking about taking the 'accelerator pills' that help with metabolism and I almost just facedesked right in front of her.

I'm sorry, but "facedesked"....Killed me :smiley: Sooo going to use that :wink:
  • Dariasen
    Dariasen Posts: 145 Member
    Options
    tomatoey wrote: »
    Saddened by: a good friend who gained 20 pounds after getting hit with a few really horrible rounds of bad luck and TONS of ongoing stress and consequently sleeps in the limited time she theoretically would have available for health / fitness / planning meals.
    She can't stand her body atm, but isn't in the headspace to make the changes. She does know how to do it - was into lifting years before anyone else I knew - but you do have to be ready to make the required commitments , and she's just not there right now.

I do this when I go into a depression. Sometimes the stress is just too much and I shut down. It's easier to sleep than think. Even though I may hate the way I look/feel I am just too sad to care.

It really is about being in the right headspace. If you feel she may respond well, encourage her to seek help from a mental health professional. Once I improved my metal health I wanted to improve my physical health, which further improved my mental health, and so on in an upward sprial.
  • Dariasen
    Dariasen Posts: 145 Member
    Options
    We have a former personal trainer, currently studying to be a dietition, in my office. The transition from going from an workplace full of activity, where people take extream care of themselves, to a cubical office where 80% of us don't bother or follow broscience/fad diets was very hard for him to adjust to at first. He was a complete health evangilist, but has learned most of the stuff goes on death ears.
    We have a joke between us because I eat healthy most of the time at work, but it never fails, that as soon as I treat myself to a bag of meat and grease from Five Guys or a (so wasn't worth it) Hot Dog pizza, that's when he happens to come visit me at my desk, always as I am in mid-piehole stuffing.
  • tkphotogirl
    tkphotogirl Posts: 245 Member
    Options
    I'm the only girl in an office of five. They don't bug me about food, and although there are *always* chocolate biscuits in the office they never get waved under my nose. Occasionally someone will leave food on my desk (like yesterday after I went for a walk during my lunch break!) but there's no pressure to eat it. Three of us have now joined the work gym (though we all go at different times) and the other two are talking about it but haven't made the leap yet. My last job was very different, there was constant cake-related peer pressure going on.
  • lostinwebspace
    lostinwebspace Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    Frustrated all the time. My family has gotten used to it, but they were weirded out whenever I proposed healthier foods for our birthday/Mother's Day/Father's Day occasions. Last week for my uncle's birthday, when I brought a chicken breast salad to eat instead of the usual BBQ dinner, I thought I was gonna get slapped. Turns out they took it in stride. My uncle's ex-boyfriend (he's like family, so he gets invited to all family gatherings; it's weird when he CAN'T make it) even showed interest in the subject and mentioned how I've slimmed down since last year. So they *are* getting used to it.

Same at work. People know when they bring Timbits or there's a potluck, I'll join them for the conversation, but I'll eat my own stuff. Like everyone here, I get comments about how I'm skinny (I'm at about 9-10% body fat right now, aiming for I'll-stop-when-I'm-satisfied-with-how-I-look percent, probably around 8%), but I tell them I'm skinny because I avoid foods high in calories and I eat nutrient-dense stuff. That's not to say I don't have my cheat days; I'm planning a pizza day next Saturday. But that's fitting within my CICO budget. People don't understand CICO no matter how many times you tell them. But there's a coworker who buys his breakfast and lunch every work day WITHOUT FAIL. And he's obese. His leg has given out--stopped working, literally--twice that I've heard. His car seat collapsed when he got in. But he hasn't stopped. I even made him a salad, complete with a Post-It outlining calorie count, price, and time to prepare, just to convince him of the merits, but he hasn't changed his ways. Everyone tells him if he keeps this up, he won't have long left.

I have a friend at church who has been struggling with weight for the last...15 years...? But the last two times we went out for snacks or dinner, she had (a) a milkshake, and (b) a burger with fries that must have come up to 1,500 calories. She's a short woman with quite a considerable percentage of body fat. That would be her entire daily allotment of calories if she were trying to lose a pound a week.

I have another friend who's trying to gain muscle (well, tone, which is to say gain definition, but he doesn't believe me). He's fat. We're the same height, and he's 40 pounds heavier than me. But he doesn't listen. I tell him I lost 40 pounds in about 6 months, and I've got more muscle definition even though I didn't gain any muscle mass. So I suggest, at his body fat percentage, he should try to slim down if he wants muscle definition. That means tracking calories. But he won't. He says he can't be bothered. He's already eating right (even though I see him with sodas, Arizona coconut drinks, Pringles, McBugers, etc.) Guess what his gains have been in the last year since he started talking about this? But no matter how many times I tell him about all this and talk to him about the biology, nope. He'll do it his own way. Okie dokie. I can't make him. I can just show him the gains I get vs. the gains he doesn't but that's all. To his merit, he's found kayaking and does that twice a week. So I pat him on the back now. I'll try to find him something for the winters, but for now he's made improvements, not visible, but hopefully that'll come. He's found his fun exercise and that's all that matters, isn't it? Just have to get that diet under control now.

Do I sound mean? Meh. Maybe a bit. But this is after years of trying to convince people of how to do things without seeing their results and getting hostility in return. Now I just smile, nod, and say, "Your dreams are commendable."
  • Vanilla_Lattes
    Vanilla_Lattes Posts: 251 Member
    Options
    wils5150 wrote: »
    People ask me all the time how I lost my weight. When I say get a food scale and use it the don't want any part of it lol

This had been my experience also.
  • tomatoey
    tomatoey Posts: 5,446 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
    Dariasen wrote: »
    tomatoey wrote: »

I do this when I go into a depression. Sometimes the stress is just too much and I shut down. It's easier to sleep than think. Even though I may hate the way I look/feel I am just too sad to care.

It really is about being in the right headspace. If you feel she may respond well, encourage her to seek help from a mental health professional. Once I improved my metal health I wanted to improve my physical health, which further improved my mental health, and so on in an upward sprial.

With my friend, she's just overwhelmed from working 60-70 hours a week + a crazy commute (can't move bc area is in a real estate bubble, timing is bad) + taking care of sick family members (some specifics around the situation make it hard to find appropriate paid help). I think it's more that practical things would make a difference for her :/

But definitely, what you're talking about happens with depression, and mental health care makes a huge difference in people's readiness to take care of themselves. I'm glad you found your way up the spiral :)
  • smantha32
    smantha32 Posts: 6,990 Member
    Options
    bump
  • jesikalovesyou
    Options
    I hate that I watch what I eat so so much but the one time I get a piece of pie or cheesecake, someone said to me "don't you have a PT test coming up?"

It pees me off so much!
  • kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    Options
    I hate that I watch what I eat so so much but the one time I get a piece of pie or cheesecake, someone said to me "don't you have a PT test coming up?"

It pees me off so much!

Reply "don't you have a life?"

• crazylilrae
    crazylilrae Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    Not at the office so much as just friends in general. I try to stick to my eating healthy (as best I can). Meanwhile one friend has taken to the 'lose weight quick' pills and schemes that work for a couple weeks then she gains all back and then some, while the other does nothing but complain about her weight (and the plethora of aches and pains obesity brings with it). Neither makes any effort to change their diet or lifestyles, so what's a friend to do. The worst part is telling them that I don't want to go out for Beer and Wing night because I'm trying to get healthy. They guilt trip me for not hanging out. It's ridiculous! Sometimes I feel they are trying to sabotage just so they don't have to feel bad about their weight.

Got a little off topic there, and sorry for the rant
  • hapa11
    hapa11 Posts: 182 Member
    Options
    I just don't engage. If someone says I've lost weight I smile and say that yes, I have lost some weight. Usually that's the end of it, but if they ask how I did it, I just say that I ate less and exercised more. I don't really open it up for discussion. What's the point?